Morgan Freeman

  • Aired:  05/23/13
  •  | Views: 68,558

"Now You See Me" star Morgan Freeman uses balloons to explain the Big Bang and the theory of multiple universes. (6:27)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE).

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK!

MY GUEST TONIGHT, AN ACADEMY

AWARD WINNING ACTOR, SCIENCE

CHANNEL "THROUGH THE WORM HOLE"

WILL RETURN IN JUNE.

AND IN A NEW MOVIE CALLED "NOW

YOU SEE IT."

>> WHEN A MY SEUGS WAVES HIS

HAND AND SAYS THIS IS WHERE THE

TRICK IS HAPPENING, IT'S

ACTUALLY HAPPENING SOMEWHERE

ELSE.

MISDIRECTION, THE BASIC CONCEPTS

OF MAGIC.

>> I WANT TO KNOW HOW THEY

ROBBED THE BANK.

>> YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU THINK

THEY ROBBED THE BANK.

BUT DON'T MY WORD FOR IT.

HOW ABOUT A TRIP TO PARIS?

THE TELEPOUR STATION HELMET,

PLEASE.

>> YOU'RE JOKING, RIGHT?

>> YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW THEY DID

IT OR NOT?

>> Jon: SHAZAM!

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE

PROGRAM MORGAN FREE MAN!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN!

THEY LOVE YOU, THEY LOVE YOU.

>> GOOD GROUP.

>> Jon: THEY'RE A FINE GROUP.

HERE'S WHAT I'M GOING SAY.

SO HERE'S THE ASSUMPTION.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: YOU'RE GREAT IN THIS

MOVIE AND IT'S A GOOD MOVIE

BECAUSE YOU DON'T DO CRAP.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: SO HERE'S WHAT I WANT

TO TALK ABOUT.

THIS WORM HOLE THING YOU'RE

DOING, THIS SCIENCE SHOW, YOU

HOSTED THE FUNDAMENTAL PHYSICS

PRIZE GALA IN GENEVA.

>> I DID.

>> Jon: SO THIS IS ALL

PHYSICISTS.

>> ALL PHYSICISTS.

EVEN STEVEN HAWKING WAS THERE.

>> Jon: STEVEN HAWKING WAS

THERE.

DID YOU GET A CHANCE TO SPEND

ANY TIME WITH STEVEN HAWKING?

>> JUST A LITTLE BIT.

HE DOESN'T TALK A LOT.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: BUT IS EVERYTHING THAT

HE TYPES GRAND AND -- DOES HE

FEEL THAT -- LIKE, DO YOU THINK

HE FEELS THE PRESSURE LIKE AT A

COCKTAIL PARTY HE COULD NEVER

SAY, LIKE, SO WHAT'S UP?

LIKE HE -- HE WOULD HAVE TO SAY

SOMETHING PROFOUND EVERY TIME DO

YOU THINK?

>> I THINK MAYBE MAYBE TEN, 15

YEARS AGO.

>> Jon: NOW HE'S --

>> NOW HE'S COOL.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: JUST HANGING OUT AT A

PARTY.

>> RIGHT, HE'S -- HE'S USED TO

IT NOW.

>> Jon: WHAT IS IT LIKE AT A

PHYSICIST'S PARTY?

(LAUGHTER)

HOW EARLY DOES IT END?

>> THEY CAN GO FOR A WHILE.

THEY'RE -- THEY'RE AN

INTERESTING GROUP OF PEOPLE

BECAUSE IF YOU ENGAGE THEM IN

CONVERSATION THEY'RE -- THEY

THINK YOU'RE SHARP.

>> Jon: THEY WILL?

>> OH, YEAH.

>> Jon: DO YOU UNDERSTAND

CERTAIN CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS THAT

ALLOWS YOU TO CARRY THE

CONVERSATION?

>> I ABSOLUTELY DO.

>> Jon: YEAH, I DON'T.

>> NO, NO, I DON'T UNDERSTAND

THINGS LIKE STRING THEORY BUT

MULTIPLE UNIVERSES, I FULLY

UNDERSTAND THAT.

YOU'D UNDERSTAND IT, RIGHT?

(LAUGHTER)

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE.

>> Jon: I DON'T THINK I --

>> WATCH.

WATCH.

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE.

PICTURE A BALLOON.

>> Jon: I CAN DO THAT.

>> YOU BLOW UP A BALLOON, THAT'S

THE UNIVERSE.

YOU COULD DO THAT ANY NUMBER OF

TIMES.

>> Jon: YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND.

(LAUGHTER)

SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT WITHIN A

UNIVERSE THERE'S SORT OF A

MEMBRANE AROUND EACH ONE AND SO

--

>> THAT'S HOW THEY ARGUE.

THEY ARGUE THAT -- SOME OF THEM,

NOT ALL OF THEM BUT DIFFERENT

PHYSICISTS WITH DIFFERENT

THEORIES ABOUT WHAT IS, RIGHT?

FOR INSTANCE, I ASK, OKAY, SO

YOU SAY THE UNIVERSE IS

EXPANDING I MAINTAIN THERE'S A

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPACE AND THE

UNIVERSE.

THEY SAID NO, NO, THERE'S ONLY

THE UNIVERSE.

BUT HOW CAN THE UNIVERSE BE

EXPANDING?

WHAT IS IT EXPANDING INTO?

THEY BEGIN WITH THE BALLOON

THING, HOW YOU BLOW UP A

BALLOON.

BUT BALLOON IS EXPANDING INTO

SPACE.

>> Jon: IS THE WHOLE THING

BALLOON ORIENTD?

(LAUGHTER)

EVERY QUESTION IS JUST "THINK OF

IT AS A BALLOON ANIMAL."

LIKE EVERYTHING IS BALLOON

ORIENTD?

>> A LOT.

>> Jon: A LOT OF BALLOON

STUFF.

SO WHEN YOU SEE THE LITTLE GROUP

OF PHYSICISTS HOW MANY TIMES DO

YOU SEE PEOPLE GOING JUST --

PULLING OUT BALLOONS AND BLOWING

STUFF UP?

(LAUGHTER)

I FIND THAT VERY INTERESTING

BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE THE EXACT

SAME THOUGHT THAT YOU HAD WHICH

IS HOW DO YOU EXPAND --

>> IF THERE'S NOTHING TO EXPAND

INTO.

YOU'RE NOT CREATING -- THEY'RE

TALKING ABOUT THE SINGULARITY.

YOU KNOW WHAT SINGULARITY IS?

>> Jon: ONE.

>> NOTHING.

>>

>> Jon: IT'S NOT ONE, NOTHING?

>> IT'S ZERO.

>> Jon: BUT NOT ZERO, EMPTY.

>> EMPTY, NOTHING.

>> Jon: SO THAT'S THE

SINGULARITY OF THE UNIVERSE.

>> IT STARTED WITH THE BIG BANG,

RIGHT?

>> Jon: BEEN THERE.

YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO GET

SOMETHING.

THERE'S A SONG LIKE THAT, RAY

CHARLES SINGS IT.

YOU CAN'T GET NOTHING FROM

NOTHING.

I MEAN YOU CAN'T GET SOMETHING

FROM NOTHING.

YOU CAN NOT.

>> Jon: SO WHAT WAS THERE

BEFORE THE BIG BANG?

THEY WOULD SAY SINGULARITY.

>> THEY WOULD SAY.

I DON'T SAY THAT.

>> Jon: I'D LIKE TO SEE A

BALLOON DO DO THAT.

>> BECAUSE IF YOU TAKE THE AIR

OUT OF THE BALLOON WHEN IT

COLLAPSES YOU'VE STILL GOT

SOMETHING.

>> Jon: YES!

THE MEMBRANE!

WHERE'S THE MEMBRANE?

>> THAT'S THE SINGULARITY.

(LAUGHTER)

SORT OF LIKE WHO'S ON FIRST.

>> Jon: IF I HAD MET YOU WHEN

WE WERE IN COLLEGE I WOULD GET

MUSHROOMS AND YOU AND I WOULD GO

TO A PARK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

YOU'RE THAT GOOD.

>> I'M FOR THAT.

>> Jon: I LOVE THIS STUFF.

IT'S TREMENDOUS.

WE DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH TIME TO

TALK ABOUT IT BUT YOU WENT TOE

THE HADRON COLLIDER.

YOU TOURED IT.

>> DOWN INTO A DEEP CAVERN DOWN

BELOW GROUND, WAY DOWN, 40 FEET

OR SO, MORE.

AND THEY HAVE THIS BIG THING AND

THIS -- AND THEN THERE'S THIS

LONG 17-MILE TUBE AND THEY SHOOT

PHOTONS A -T EACH OTHER.

>> Jon: DID YOU SEE THE GOD

PARTICLE.

>> THEY HAVEN'T --

>> Jon: WHEN THEY SEE IT, YOU

SHOULD DO THE VOICEOVER FOR THE

GOD PARTICLE.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

(LAUGHTER)

THE MOVIE IS CALLED "NOW YOU SEE

ME."

IT WILL BE IN THEATERS ON THE

31st.

NEW SEASON OF "THROUGH THE WORM

HOLE" BEGINS JUNE 5 ON THE

SCIENCE CHANNEL.

IT'S FASCINATING, MORGAN

FREEMAN.

>> IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, DO.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Loading...