Brad Paisley

  • Aired:  11/03/11
  •  | Views: 18,791

Brad Paisley talks about his musical influences in his book "Diary of a Player." (5:43)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, A MULTIPLE GRAMMY CMA AND ACM AWARD-WINNING ARTIST.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED DIARY OF A PLAYER, HOW MY MUSICAL HEROES MADE A GUITAR MAN OUT OF ME.

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM BRAD PAISLEY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) YOUNG MAN, THANK YOU FOR COMING IN.

>> SO GLAD TO BE HERE.

>> Jon: HAVE A SEAT.

>> HI, EVERYBODY.

>> Jon: THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.

>> OH, MAN.

I COULDN'T WAIT.

>> Jon: DIARY OF A PLAYER.

SO YOU ARE A WORLDWIDE MUSIC SENSATION.

AND YOU THOUGHT TO YOURSELF,

BUT I WANT TO GET INTO THE MORE GLAMOROUS WORLD OF PUBLISHING.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE YOU WANTED TO WRITE A BOOK?

>> WE, WELL, I FIGURE FIRST OF ALL THIS IS ABOUT GUITARS.

IT'S MEANT TO REALLY INSPIRE.

I FIGURE WE HAVE DONE SUCH A GREAT JOB OF TEACHING KIDS HOW NOT TO PLAY THE GUITAR

WITH GUITAR HERO.

>> Jon: THIS SAN ANTI-GUITAR HERO TOME.

>> AND ON TOP OF THAT WE ARE DOING A FANTASTIC JOB OF TEACHING THEM HOW NOT TO

READ AS WELL SO THIS KILLS TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE.

>> Jon: THIS IS THE WAY WE SAVE OUR GENERATION.

>> I THINK 24 IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYBODY'S-- .

>> Jon: IT'S INTERESTING.

YOU WRITE IN HERE THAT THERE ARE CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO ARE GUITAR SUPERHEROUS, WHO SEEM

TO BE BORN AS SUPERMEN ON GUITAR.

YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF MORE OF A BATMAN BECAUSE ARE YOU HUMAN.

>> BECAUSE I'M A NERD.

BUT I THINK THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE BORN STARS AT ANYTHING.

THAT ARE REALLY GOOD AT IT AND THEY HAVE TO WORK TOO,

IT'S NOT DIMINISH THAT.

BUT I FEEL LIKE ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT I'M HERE IN SPITE OF THE ODDS.

MUCH LIKE YOU.

YEAH.

>> Jon: BELIEVE ME F I HAD TO PLAY-- WE'LL HAVE A GUITARROFF, I COULDN'T HAVE

DONE THAT EITHER.

>> RIGHT.

>> Jon: BUT IT IS, WERE YOU DRAWN TO IT?

YOU SAY YOUR GRANDFATHER WAS YOUR FIRST TEACHER.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: HE WAS SORT OF YOUR FIRST GUITAR HERO, IF YOU WOULD.

>> YEAH, HE LOVED COUNTRY MUSIC.

AND HE, MORE THAN ANYTHING HE WANTED ME TO LOVE THIS INSTRUMENT LIKE HE DOES.

BECAUSE HE, EVERY DAY, THREE OR FOUR HOURS A DAY THAT IS WHAT HE WANTED TO DO JUST

SIT THERE AND PLAY.

HE SAID IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL NEVER BE LONELY.

WILL YOU ALWAYS HAVE A WAY THROUGH PROBLEMS AND A TICKET TO, I DON'T KNOW,

HAPPINESS.

>> Jon: AND YOU-- AND WOMEN,

DID HE MENTION WOMEN BECAUSE WOMEN-- AND I WISH SOMEBODY HAD SAID THAT BECAUSE WOMEN

TRULY ENJOY MEN THAT HAVE ABILITIES, COMEDY, NOT SOME OF.

>> YOU'RE RIGHT, YOU'RE RIGHT.

HE ACTUALLY, THE PROBLEM WAS HE SORT OF HANDICAPPED ME BECAUSE HE START IMMEDIATE

OUT AND HE SAID YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY CHET 59 KINS AND BUCK OWENS AND YOU

CAN IMAGINE IN HIGH SCHOOL,

THAT WASN'T-- .

>> Jon: LADIES WEREN'T HAVING THAT.

>> NO, IN THE 60s YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN ANY WOMAN YOU WANTED WITH TIGER BY THE

TALE BUT I DON'T THINK IT WORKS IN 1990.

BUT-- .

>> Jon: BUT LUCKILY ALONG GAME GARTH BROOKS WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL AND IT WAS

LIKE I WAS COOL.

HE WILL WEAR A HAT, HE'LL DO IT.

>> Jon: YOU DID HAVE A LITTLE BUSINESS THERE IS A GREAT PICTURE IN THERE OF

YOU AS A KID WITH ROY CLARK,

SORT OF A LEGEND.

AND I DON'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE AT THE TIME, YOU'RE YOUNG.

>> YEAH, I WAS PROBABLY 12 OR 13.

I STARTED PLAYING ON A SHOW CALLED WHEELING JAMBOREE WHEN I WAS A KID WHICH SAY RADIO SHOW.

EVERYBODY WOKE WASSON LIKE ROY CLARK OR RICKY SKAGGS OR ONE OF THESE LEGENDARY COUNTRY PERFORMERS.

AND THEY WOULD HAVE THIS KID OBJECT TO PLAY BECAUSE, WELL,

I WAS CUTE THEN AND MY DAD USED TO SAY, AND THIS WAS ALWAYS THE BEST ADVICE.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE GOOD RIGHT NOW.

AND THAT'S GREAT.

BUT SOME DAY YOU'RE TO THE GOING TO BE THAT CUTE.

AND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BE PRETTY GOOD OR YOU ARE JUST GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE

GOOD OLD DAYS.

>> Jon: I LOVE THAT DID YOUR DAD EVER PUT UP A MIRROR IN YOUR ROOM WITH A SIGN

UNDERNEATH THAT SAID, IS IT TODAY?

>> EXACTLY, RIGHT.

>> Jon: IS TODAY THE DAY I LOST MY CUTE.

>> YES.

>> Jon: IT'S REALLY, IT'S FASCINATING BECAUSE THERE'S

OTHER THINGS THAT ARE KIND OF MORE TRADITIONAL PATHS.

THERE IS THAT TRADITIONAL PATH.

YOU WERE AN INTERN AT A MUSIC PUBLISHING COMPANY.

>> REGULAR GUY ONE DAY THEY SAY PLAY US A SONG.

AND AT THAT MOMENT THEY WERE LIKE OH.

>> YEAH.

IT WAS LIKE WE SHOULD MAYBE TREAT HIM BETTER.

AND I ACTUALLY WON SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR A FEW YEARS BACK AT THEIR AWARD CEREMONY.

AND GOT TO GET UP AND SORT OF CALL OUT EVERYBODY.

TRUTHFULLY, THOUGH, THAT WAS THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE PROFESSIONALLY IN TERMS OF

GETTING WHERE I AM GOING.

THEY TREAT IMMEDIATE SO GREAT.

AND I THINK THAT'S THE THING THAT I REALLY LEARNED IS THAT IT'S ALL ABOUT PEOPLE

AND IT'S ALL ABOUT YEAH, GET GOOD, DO WHAT DAD SAYS AND GET GOOD IN SPITE OF CUTE.

BUT MORE THAN THAT, FIND THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE SORT OF IN YOUR CORNER TOO.

>> Jon: THIS BOOK IS ALL ABOUT THAT TOO.

>> AND THIS, SO NOW IT'S HOWEVER MANY YEARS LATER.

>> RIGHT.

>> Jon: THE ADVICE, DOES IT WORK, ARE YOU EVER LONELY S IT ALWAYS A COMPANION TO

HAVE, IS IT ALWAYS BY YOURSELF-- BY YOUR SIDE.

>> IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS THERE I MEAN I IT IS A BATTLE AXE, A CONFIDANTE, IT

REALLY DOES WORK.

I FEEL ALL OF A SUDDEN LIKE DR. PHIL OUT HERE, BUT IT REALLY DOES WORK.

>> Jon: THAT'S TERRIFIC.

AND I WISH YOU-- YOU'RE HOSTING THE CMAs AGAIN.

>> NEXT WEDNESDAY.

>> Jon: NEXT WEDNESDAY,

CARRY UNDERWOOD.

>> FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW.

>> Jon: UNBELIEVABLE.

>> WE LOVE IT T IS THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE GETTING OUT THERE.

AS YOU KNOW.

>> Jon: SEE SHE'S STILL CUTE.

WELL, DIARY OF A PLAYER ON THE BOOK SHELVES NOW.

Loading...