Royal Wedding Excitement in London

  • Aired:  04/28/11
  •  | Views: 139,321

John Oliver discovers just how much British taxpayers are looking forward to the most magical day in the history of the world. (5:33)

ESTIMATED 8 TRILLION

JOURNALISTS HAVE DESCENDED

ON LONDON TO COVER ACCOUNT

ROYAL WEDDING FORCING EVEN

LOVELY LADIES TO LEAVE THE

COUNTRY.

WE SENT OUR OWN JOHN OLVER

BACK TO ENGLAND TO REPORT ON

THIS VERY SPECIAL DAY.

>> TOMORROW WE WILL ALL

WITNESS THE MOST MAGICAL DAY

IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

THE MARRIAGE OF PRINCE

WILLIAM TO KATE MIDDLETON IN

LONDON ENGLAND.

MY HOME TOWN.

NOTHING WAS GOING TO KEEP ME

AWAY.

HELLO, LONDON.

GUESS WHO'S BACK?

JUST HOURS FROM NOW ALL EYES

WILL BE ON BRITAIN.

AND NO ONE IS MORE EXCITED

FOR THIS SPECTACULAR EVENT

THAN THE BRITISH PEOPLE

THEMSELVES.

>> WHY DO WE NEED THE ROYAL

WEDDING?

>> I THINK IT MAKES A

MOCKERY OF OUR COUNTRY, I

THINK IT IS A CHARADE.

I THINK IN THE CURRENT

ECONOMIC CLIMATE I FIND IT

SLIGHTLY DISTASTEFUL THAT WE

ARE PAYING AS THE PUBLIC FOR

PART OF THE WEDDING.

I THINK IT IS UTTER [BLEEP]

BOLLOCKS.

IT SHOULDN'T COST US A

PENNY.

I DON'T NEED TO SEE THIS

[BLEEP], [BLEEP].

>> HAVING SAID THAT IT IS A

MAGICAL DAY AND WE ARE ALL

LOOKING FOR TO, RIGHT, MIKE?

>> NO.

>> BUT REAL QUALITY ENGLISH

PEOPLE LIKE FRIEND OF THE

ROYAL FAMILY ARE HAVING NONE

OF THAT UTTER [BLEEP]

BOLLOCKS.

>> I THINK THE BRITISH

TAXPAYER IS BEING VERY MEAN

ABOUT PAYING FOR THIS

WEDDING.

I MEAN IT IS A PRIVILEGE.

PEOPLE ARE ALREADY EXCITED.

JUST LOOK AT ALL OF THESE

IDIOTS?

>> YES, THEY ARE EXCITED

BECAUSE THEY ARE SEEING

SOMETHING WHICH IS GLAMOROUS,.

>> RIGHT.

>> I PREFER TO BE PAYING FOR

THE ROYAL WEDDING AND CLEAN

THE STREETS AFTERWARDS AND

ALL THE SECURITY THAN TO BE

PAYING FOR ILLEGAL

IMMIGRANTS TO CLAIM BENEFITS

AND LIVE THIS --

>> WHY NOT MAKE IT A RACE

ISSUE.

>> YES.

>> WHY NOT?

>> WHY NOT.

>> AND I FOUND THIS AVERAGE

JOE SIX PINT WHO WAS ALSO

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE

FESTIVITIES.

>> I THINK IT'S GOING TO BE

A GREAT DAY.

I AM HAVING TEA, CELEBRATING

WITH SOME FRIENDS, IN FACT.

>> UH-HUH.

>> ROBERT, ARE YOU [BLEEP]

KIDDING ME?

>> YOU ARE THE MOST ENGLISH

THING I'VE EVER SEEN.

>> RIGHT.

>> IT'S INTERESTING WAY OF

PUTTING IT BUT I'M A VERY

TRADITIONAL PERSON AND YOU

KNOW, WHEN I GO TO WORK IN

CENTRAL LONDON, I DRESS AS I

THINK IS APPROPRIATE TO WORK

IN CENTRAL LONDON.

>> IN THE 17th CENTURY.

WELL, THE WEDDING IS

ESTIMATED TO COST TAXPAYERS

ROUGHLY $20 MILLION POUNDS.

SURELY EVEN GRAHAM SMITH OF

THE REFORM GROUP REPUBLIC

COULD SEE THE IMPORTANCE OF

THIS OCCASION.

>> A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE

OBSESSING OVER STUFF THAT

REALLY DOESN'T MATTER.

WE ARE FACING HUGE AUSTERITY

MEASURES,

MULTIBILLION-DOLLAR POUND

CUTS TO SERVICES FOR A MAJOR

CIVIL WAR IN LIBYA, AND

REVOLUTIONS RIGHT ACROSS

ACCOUNT MIDDLE EAST.

MASSIVE EARTHQUAKES IN

JAPAN.

AND YET THE WEDDING, QUITE

OFTEN IS LEADING THE NEWS.

>> RIGHT, YEAH, IT'S

TERRIBLE, ISN'T IT?

>> HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE

KATE'S STYLE.

WOULD YOU SAY IT WAS

EFFORTLESS?

>> I WOULDN'T DESCRIBE IT AT

ALL.

>> LUCKILY, CRITICS LIKE

SMITH MAKE UP JUST AN 80%

MINORITY OF BRITISH OPINION.

WHAT THEY FAIL TO GRASP IS

THAT THE MONARCHY IS NEVER

MORE RELEVANT THAN IN TIMES

OF GREAT CRISIS.

THE ROYAL FAMILY HAVE ALWAYS

STEPPED UP TO DISTRACT US

WHEN THE WORLD HAS BECOME

TOO HORRIBLE.

LOOK AT 1981.

AIDS WAS DISCOVERED.

WHAT ELSE HAPPENED THAT YEAR?

>> CHARLES MARRIED DIANA.

>> EXACTLY.

>> 1986, CHERN NOBLE, A

DISASTER ON AN UNPRECEDENTED

SCALE, THE AFTERAFFECTS OF

WHICH WE ARE STILL FEELING

TODAY.

WHAT ELSE HAPPENED IN '86.

>> WELL N '86 PRINCE ANDREW

MARRIED SARAH FERGUSON.

>> THANK YOU.

>> SHE IS A DISASTER

POSSIBLY ON THE SAME LEVEL

OF CHERNOBYL.

>> THE WEDDING PROCESSION

WILL TRAVEL FROM WESTMINSTER

ABBEY TO BUCKINGHAM PALACE

RIGHT PAST ANTI-WAR

ACTIVISTS WHO HAVE BEEN

CAMPED OUT THERE FOR YEARS.

>> I AM DISTURBED BECAUSE

THIS USED TO BE PUBLIC SPACE

IT IS A NICE PLACE TO GATHER

AND PRACTICE FREE SPEECH AND

THE POLICE HAVE MOVED US TO

THE CURB NOW AND THAT'S

PRETTY DISTRESSFUL.

>> IS THAT NOT WHY WE NEED

THIS WEDDING, TO HELP THE

WORLD FORGET PEOPLE LIKE

YOU?

>> WE'RE TO THE GOING

ANYWHERE UNTIL THIS WAR IS

OVER.

>> WHAT HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND

IS THAT THE ROYAL WEDDING IS

SO MAGICAL IT'S ACTUALLY

GOING TO TAKE CARE OF THAT

PROBLEM AS WELL.

>> THERE'S GOING TO BE A

A-- EVERY FIVE SEATS BETWEEN

WESTMINSTER ABBEY AND

BUCKINGHAM PALACE.

PEOPLE ARE ARE BEING BROUGHT

BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN TO

SERVE THIS WEDDING.

>> BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT.

>> BECAUSE THIS IS

IMPORTANT.

>> THIS IS AN IMPORTANT

OCCASION.

THE QUEEN WILL BE ON THE

BALCONY WITH HER GRANDSON

AND HER NEW GRANDDAUGHTER IN

LAW.

>> AND WILL THE QUEEN BE

THANKING THE TAXPAYER FROM

UP THERE?

>> I THINK JUST SEEING HER

IS ENOUGH TO PAY GOOD MONEY

FOR.

I THINK THE TAXPAYER GETS

THEIR MONEY WITH FROM THE

QUEEN WHEN SHE APPEARS ON

THE BALCONY.

>> THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

>> IN JUST HOURS, THOUSANDS

OF PEOPLE WILL BE LINING

THESE STREETS ENJOYING THE

MOST SPECTACULAR WEDDING THE

WORLD HAS EVER SEEN.

AND THE NEXT DAY, THOSE SAME

PEOPLE WILL WAKE UP BLEERY

EYED SAYING OH [BLEEP], HOW

MUCH DID THAT JUST

Loading...