Exclusive - Malala Yousafzai Extended Interview Pt. 2

  • Aired:  10/08/13
  •  | Views: 314,157

In this exclusive, unedited interview, Malala Yousafzai describes the beauty of her homeland and the cruelty of the Taliban. (5:29)

>> WONDERFUL TO LISTEN TO YOUTALK.

WE'RE BACK.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK IAM MALALA.

IT'S ON BOOKSHELVES RIGHT NOW.

YOUR LOVE OF SCHOOL REMINDS MESO MUCH OF MY CHILDREN.

OKAY.

MAYBE NOT.

[ LAUGHTER ]THE PEOPLE OF SWAT VALLEY WHEN

THE TALIB FIRST CAME, THEYTHOUGHT, THEY ARE BRINGING

ORDER.

THEY ARE BRINGING SERVICES.

THEY ESTABLISHED A COURT THATWAS FASTER THAN PAKISTANI

COURTS.

>> YES.

>> Jon: AND THE PEOPLERESPONDED.

WHEN DID THAT BEGIN TO TURN?

>> WHEN THE TALIBAN CAME, THEYWERE TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE

AND THEY WERE JUST MISUSING THENAME OF ISLAM.

THEY WERE TELLING PEOPLE WE WILLSET UP ANOTHER COURT FOR YOU AND

PROVIDE YOU JUSTICE ON TIME.

USUALLY COURTS IN PAKISTAN,PEOPLE DIE AND THEIR CASE IS NOT

YET RESOLVED IN THE COURT.

BUT THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING INTHE COURTS OF PAKISTAN.

SO PEOPLE JUST SAID IFTHE TALIBAN ARE DOING IT, WHY

DON'T WE SUPPORT THEM.

THEN THEY WERE THAT MUCH CRUELERWHEN THEY STARTED SLAUGHTERING

PEOPLE. THEY EVEN BLASTED AGENERATOR OF ELECTRICITY.

AND IT WAS THE MOVE RAMADAN INWHICH WE DON'T EAT ON THE DAY.

IN WHICH WE DON'T DRINK FOR THEWHOLE DAY.

THEY BLASTEDELECTRICITY GENERATORS

PROVIDING ELECTRICITYTO THE WHOLE CITY.

WE CANNOT HAVE WATER BECAUSEELECTRICITY IS RELATED TO WATER

SUPPLY AS WELL.

PEOPLE WERE SITTING IN THE DARK.

PEOPLE COULD NOT BUY ELECTRICITYGENERATORS.

PEOPLE WERE SITTING IN THE LIGHTOF CANDLES AND PEOPLE WERE JUST

DYING OF THIRST AT THE TIME.

MY FATHER IS A GREAT FATHERBECAUSE HE BOUGHT GENERATOR FOR

THE SCHOOL TO CREATE ELECTRICITYAND PROVIDE WATER TO THE STREET

AND THAT COMMUNITY.

BUT STILL MANY PEOPLE WERESUFFERING FROM THE HARD

SITUATION.

AND OTHER THAN THAT, OUR FREEDOMWAS TAKEN FROM US.

>> Jon: YES.

>> THE WOMEN'S FREEDOM.

WE COULD NOT GO TO MARKET.

WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO GO TOSCHOOL.

WE WERE JUST KEPTIMPRISONED.

WE WERE LIMITED TO THE FOURWALLS OF OUR HOUSE.

WOMENS' RIGHTS WERE DENIED ATTHAT TIME AND THAT'S WHY I SPOKE

BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN EQUALITYAND I BELIEVE THERE'S NO

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND AWOMAN.

I EVEN BELIEVE THAT A WOMAN ISMORE POWERFUL THAN MAN.

>> Jon: WHAT, WHOA WHAT?

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE][CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

WHOA!

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]YOU KNOW, MALALA, THIS WAS GOING

SO WELL.

[ LAUGHTER ]YOU WERE DOING SO BEAUTIFULLY.

[ LAUGHTER ]AND THEN SUDDENLY BAM!

[LAUGHTER]IT'S -- THIS IS THE PART THAT

THEY BEGAN TO SAY YOU CANNOTDANCE.

>> YES.

>> Jon: YOU CANNOT -- THEWOMEN CANNOT DO THESE THINGS.

YOU SAY THAT MANY PEOPLE BELIEVETHIS IS A WRONG INTERPRETATION

OF ISLAM, OF THE KORAN.

DO YOU -- WHY HAVE THE TALIBANAND THESE MORE EXTREME GROUPS

BEEN ABLE TO BE SUCCESSFUL?

IS IT THE FEAR THAT THEY BRINGTO THESE TOWNS?

DO THEY -- IS THAT WHYTHE PEOPLE HAVE HAD

A HARD TIME THROWING IT OFF?

>> THE FIRST THING IS THAT THEYWERE REALLY CRUEL. THEY HAD

GUNS IN THEIR HANDS.

IF I HAVE A GUN IN MY HAND AND ITELL YOU SOMETHING DO THIS, YOU

HAVE TO DO THAT BECAUSE IT'S FORYOUR LIFE.

SO THERE WAS FEAR ALL AROUND.

THAT'S WHY PEOPLE COULD NOT SAYANYTHING.

THEN THE SECOND THING THAT THEYWERE MISUSING THE NAME OF ISLAM.

THEY WERE TELLING PEOPLE THEYARE DOING THIS FOR ISLAM.

THEY ARE DOING THIS FOR ALLAHAND THE PROPHET PEACE BE UPON

HIM.

THEY WERE USING RELIGION FORTHEIR OWN PERSONAL BENEFITS.

THIS IS ALSO THE REASON.

BUT THEN LATER ON PEOPLE TRYTO REALIZE THIS AND THE GIRLS

ARE VERY BRAVE.

GIRLS IN OUR SCHOOL.

AT THAT TIME WE WERE JUST 11 OR12 YEARS OLD BUT WE SPOKE OF OUR

RIGHTS TO EVERY MEDIA CHANNELAND NEWSPAPER WE COULD.

WE DO NOT KNOW AT THIS TIME THATOUR SMALL INTERVIEW WOULD HAVEAT

ANIMPACT BUT IT HAD BECAUSE WE

WERE RAISING UP OUR VOICE ANDSPEAKING UP FOR OUR RIGHTS.

AND WE WERE SPEAKING FOR PEACE.

WE WANTED TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFEBECAUSE IT'S LIKE A PARADISE. I

BELIEVE IN TWO PARADISES:ONE I GET AFTER DEATH AND ONE I

GET ON EARTH BECAUSE SWAT ISBEAUTIFUL AND YOU WOULD BE

ASTONISHED WHEN YOU SEE THE LUSHASTOGREEN HILLS AND THE TALLLUSH

MOUNTAINAND CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER.

IT'S REALLY BEAUTIFUL.

YOU WOULD LOVE SWAT.

>> Jon: MALALA, I'M FROM NEWJERSEY --

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]-- SO I KNOW A LITTLE SOMETHING

ABOUT PARADISE.

Loading...