Jason Segel

  • Aired:  04/25/12
  •  | Views: 198,331

Actor Jason Segel looks forward to working on more human-related projects like his film "The Five-Year Engagement." (7:02)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE).

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST TONIGHT, VERY FUNNY ACTOR, HIS

NEW FILM IS CALLED "THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT."

>> THE MEN WHETHER WEAR YA AS AND ALL ELIGIBLE CHRISTIANS WILL SERVE COMMUNION.

>> AT MY SON'S WEDDING?

>> IT'S OUR WEDDING, PETE, AND I MEAN SEEING AS EVERYONE'S GOING

TO BE WEARING YARMULKES.

>> ACTUALLY, ONLY THE MEN WILL BE WEARING YARMULKES.

>> WELL I'VE NEVER HEARD YOU SAY THE WORD YARMULKE UNTIL TODAY.

>> EXCUSE ME, I SAY YARMULKE ALL THE TIME.

>> YOU DON'T.

>> BABE, HAVE YOU SEEN MY YARMULKE.

>> YOU DON'T HAVE A YARMULKE.

>> I HAVE A WHOLE... IT'S IN MY JEWISH DRAWER.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: PLEASE WELCOME JASON SEGEL.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: THEY LOVE YOU.

THEY'RE VERY FOND OF YOU.

>> THANK YOU.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

THEY ARE INCREDIBLY FOND OF YOU.

NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> THANK YOU.

IT'S MY FIRST TIME HERE.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

>> Jon: WE'RE DELIGHTED TO HAVE YOU.

>> I'VE BEEN WANTING TO BE HERE FOREVER.

>> Jon: WE'VE WANTING YOU TO BE HERE FOREVER.

I'M DOING AN IMPROV GAME WITH YOU.

I'M "YES ANDING."

>> OKAY, THANKS.

>> Jon: OKAY, THANK YOU.

YOU WROTE THIS... COWROTE THIS.

>> WITH NICK.

WE WROTE "MUPPETS TOGETHER." (APPLAUSE).

>> Jon: I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THAT.

IT IS UNUSUAL FOR AN ADULT TO GO WITH SOMETHING WITH HIS CHILDREN AND ENJOY IT IN A MANNER THAT IS

NOT ENJOYING IT.

LIKE... BECAUSE THEY'RE HAPPY AND THEY'RE EATING CANDY.

>> , NO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

>> Jon: I LOVED IT.

>> THANK YOU.

YOU KNOW, IT'S FUNNY WHEN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT PUPPETS IT STARTS

TO FEEL WEIRD AS AN ADULT.

BUT MUPPETS WERE MY FIRST COME "COMMITMENT 2012" MICK INFLUENCE.

WHEN YOU'RE A COMEDIAN, MUPPETS WERE "MONTY PYTHON" TO ME AND

THEY WERE "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" SO WHEN I SAW THAT THE MUPPETS

WEREN'T THE MUPPETS THAT I GREW UP WITH I WANTED TO BRING THEM BACK.

IT MEANT A LOT TO ME.

>> Jon: THAT'S VERY NICE BECAUSE... AND HOW DID THEY RESPOND TO THAT BECAUSE...

>> IT'S NOT FUNNY.

IT'S VERY SINCERE.

>> Jon: OUR AUDIENCE DOES NOT DEAL WELL-- NOR DO I-- WITH EARNEST EMOTIONS.

(LAUGHTER) SO WHAT THEY EXPECTED YOU TO DO...

>> BY THE WAY, THAT'S THE NEXT MOVIE I'M DOING "EARNEST EMOTIONS." (LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: AS A WRITER... BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING T.V. SHOWS AND YOU'RE WRITING...

>> THAT WAS A JIM VARNEY JOKE.

>> Jon: WAS IT REALLY?

>> ERNEST.

>> Jon: OH, "ERNEST GOES TO EMOTIONAL." (LAUGHTER) DID YOU STOP ENJOYING

ENTERTAINMENT IN, LIKE 1978?

BECAUSE THESE ARE REFERENCES THAT ARE TAKE MEGALIKE...

"THAT'S A BEVERLY HILLBILLIES REFERENCE." (LAUGHTER)

>> THAT'S ALL I GOT FOR YOU.

>> Jon: AS A WRITER, HOW FAR AHEAD ARE YOU WORKING?

ARE YOU EXECUTING A FILM WHILE WRITING THE NEXT ONE?

BECAUSE I KNOW THAT PROCESS IS TEDIOUS, TIME CONSUMING AND TAKES A LOT OF CREATIVE ENERGY.

>> YEAH, WELL, I DO A T.V. SHOW CALLED "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER."

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) AND SO BASICALLY WHAT I DO IS DURING THAT T.V. SEASON I WRITE

THE MOVIE I'M GOING TO DO DURING THE HIATUS.

SO I SPEND EVERY NIGHT... I COME HOME FROM THE SHOW AND I WRITE WHAT I'M GOING START SHOOTING

WHEN I GET A BREAK.

>> Jon: SHOULDN'T YOU BE OUT DOING BLOW AND GETTING INTO FIGHTS?

(LAUGHTER)

>> THESE ARE... THESE ARE NOT...

>> Jon: I THINK I KNOW HOLLYWOOD A LITTLE BETTER THAN YOU DO.

(LAUGHTER) I'M PRETTY SURE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO.

>> THESE ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

>> Jon: (LAUGHS) ALL RIGHT, FAIR ENOUGH.

IS IT NOW... DOES IT HURT YOUR FOCUS... AND, BY THE WAY, HOW DID HE MEET THE MOTHER?

BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WATCHING IT FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND THEY HAVE YET TO TELL HOW THEY ACTUALLY MET.

DO THEY TELL YOU?

>> I HAVE NO IDEA.

I DO KIND OF THINK AT SOME POINT WE'RE GOING TO BE, LIKE, IN OUR

MID-50s AND HE SHOULD PROBABLY MEET THE MOTHER OR IT'S GOING TO GET WEIRD.

>> Jon: I THINK IT'S GOING TO BE A JACOB'S LADDER SITUATION

WHERE THEY REALIZE IT'S JUST THE LAST MINUTE OF HIS LIFE.

DO YOU REMEMBER "JACOB'S LADDER" WHERE THEY TAKE YOU THROUGH THAT

WHOLE THING AND AT THE VERY END IT'S LIKE "OH, HE'S JUST DYING."

>> I PITCHED A STORY TO THEM THAT THEY THOUGHT WAS RIDICULOUS.

>> Jon: LET'S HEAR IT.

>> I THOUGHT IN THE FINAL EPISODE IT SHOULD BE LIKE THAT'S HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

AND THEN THE WINDOWS SHOULD OPEN BECAUSE IT TEST FUTURE AND IT SHOULD JUST BE A POSTAPOCALYPTIC WAR...

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: I LIKE THAT!

>> (MAKES BOMB SOPBDZ).

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: BUT THEY THOUGHT THAT WAS NOT ROMANTIC.

(LAUGHTER)

>> THAT IS HOW EVEN TV SHOW SHOULD END.

THE END OF EVERY EPISODE THEY SHOULD OPEN THE WINDOW...

>> AND, KID, THAT'S HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

(LAUGHTER) "LET'S GET THEM!

".

>> Jon: I LIKE THAT.

DO YOU STILL... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO ANOTHER MUPPET MOVIE BUT...

>> I WORKED ON THE MUPPETS FOR ABOUT THREE QUARTERS OF A DECADE.

THIS IS SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS I WROTE THAT MOVIE AND GOT IT MADE AND I WOULD JUST LIKE TO DO SOME

HUMAN-RELATED PROJECT.

>> Jon: I THINK THAT'S A WISE CHOICE.

I REMEMBER DOING... I TAPED A MUSIC SPECIAL WITH "SESAME STREET", SO IT WASN'T

NECESSARILY THE MUPPET CHARACTERS BUT IT ALWAYS FREAKED ME OUT THAT THE PUPPET ACTORS--

WHO ARE SO GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO-- CONTINUE WHEN YOU SAY "CUT"

TO DO THIS SO IT'S LIKE "ONE,

TWO, THREE, I LOVE YOU...".

>> IT'S THE WEIRDEST THING OF ALL TIME BECAUSE YOU WANT TO RESPECT THEM AS PEOPLE.

(LAUGHTER) I MEAN, THEY'RE TALENTED.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: YOU ARE GOING TO GET YOUR ASS KICK BID KERMIT.

>> BUT WHEN I DID "FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL" WE ENDED WITH A

LAVISH PUPPET MUSICAL AND...

>> (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> THANK YOU.

BUT I REMEMBER ONE LADY CAME UP AND... (LAUGHS) SHE WAS LIKE "THANKS FOR DOING

THE MOVIE." AND I WAS LIKE, OH, NO, OF COURSE, YOU'RE WELCOME, HUMAN WOMAN.

(LAUGHTER) AND THEN SHE WAS LIKE "NO, THANK YOU, SWEETHEART." (LAUGHTER)

OKAY, HUMAN WOMAN.

COME BACK TO ME.

COME BACK, HUMAN WOMAN, COME BACK.

>> Jon: WELL "FIVE YEAR ENGAGE." IS A HUMAN MOVIE.

>> IT WAS JUST VOTED BY INTERNATIONAL FILM MAGAZINE AS THE BEST FILM OF ALL TIME.

>> Jon: OH, MY GOD, THAT'S MY FAVORITE MAGAZINE!

I NEVER MISS AN EPISNOWED.

>> CATCH IT ON YOUR IPADS.

>> Jon: I DO.

FIVE YOUR ENGAGEMENT, THE BEST FILM OF ALL TIME, IT WILL BE IN THEATERS ON FRIDAY, JASON

Loading...