Chris Christie Pt. 2

  • Aired:  12/06/12
  •  | Views: 81,232

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie explains why he vetoed a state-run health insurance exchange but will accept federal disaster relief. (6:04)

>> OH, HEY, EVERYBODY, SO THE CHRISTIE INTERVIEW WENT LONG THERE WILL BE A WEIRD

CUT IN IT THE END.

WE GOT DIVERTED BY THE WHOLE DEVIL ITS RANGERS KERFUFFLE.

BUT I HOPE YOU ENJO I IT BECAUSE I DID AND I THINK HE DID.

AND WEEE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> WELCOME BACK TO THE PROGRAM, WE'RE HERE WITH ABOVE NEVER CHRIS CHRISTIE.

SO WE TALKED EARLIER ABOUT A PHILOSOPHICAL DIFFERENCES OF GOFF FERN-- GOVERNING.

SO THIS BRING UP THIS IS ONE OF OF THE LARGER PET PEEVE FORCE ME TO THE PARTY TO

WHICH YOU CURRENTLY BELONG.

>> CURRENTLY?

>> Jon: I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO START YOUR OWN BECAUSE I DON'T THINK

REPUBLICANS WILL BE HAPPY BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN TOO NICE TO OBAMA TOO.

SO NEW JERSEY IS IN TROUBLE.

AND IT NEEDS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND YOU GO TO THEM AND YOU SAY I

NEED THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY.

AND THERE'S SOME HORSE TRADING.

BUT FOR THE MOST PART THEY'RE GOING TO DELIVER AT LEAST 30 BILLION DOLLARS TO THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY,

WOULDN'T YOU SAY?

OR MAYBE EVEN A LITTLE MORE.

>> I'M HOPEFUL, HOPEFUL.

>> Jon: AT THE SAME TIME THEY WANT TO SET UP EXCHANGES FOR HEALTH INSURANCE.

>> RIGHT.

>> AND YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.

>> RIGHT.

>> I DON'T WANT TO DO IT RIGHT NOW.

>> Jon: WHEN THEY'RE DOING IT.

>> WELL, NO, NO, NO.

BECAUSE HERE'S THE ISSUE, JON.

AND WHY I VETOED IT.

I'M ASKING A BUNCH OF QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW MUCH IT WILL COST AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

AND THEY WON'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, SO I SAY TO THEM LISTEN, AND WHAT I SAID TODAY IS I'M TO THE GOING TO

DO THIS NOW.

THE LAW PERMITS YOU TO MAKE A DECISION LATER IF YOU WANT TO.

>> I THINK YOU HAVE A WEEK.

>> NO, THAT IS JUST THE FIRST STEP.

BUT THE LAW PERMITS YOU TO CHANGE BACK TO A STATE EXCHANGE.

I SAID IF YOU WILL TELL ME BY DECEMBER 14th, IF I DON'T HAVE THE INFORMATION I CAN'T

MAKE A SMART DECISION.

SO IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME THE INFORMATION-- SO WE ARE STILL COMPLYING WITH THE LAW

BECAUSE THE LAW GIVES THREE OPTION, STATE, PARTNERSHIP, OR FEDERAL.

SO I SAY DOT FEDERAL ONE.

IF YOU EVER GIVE ME ALL THE INFORMATION THAT MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT IT IS WORTHWHILE FOR OUR STATE TO

DO IT I WILL RECONSIDER MY DECISION.

BUT YOU CAN'T NOT ANSWER MY QUESTIONSnd EXPECT ME TO MAKE A DECISION.

>> Jon: ALTHOUGH I THINK THE STATE EXCHANGES ARE CERTAINLY MORE FLURBD OUT

THAN THE FEDERAL ONES THEY HAVE EVEN GOT INTO.

AT LEAST-- LAID OUT THE FRAMEWORK FOR THE STATE EXCHANGES.

>> EXCEPT SHE DOESN'T TELL US HOW MUCH IT GOING TO COST OR HOW MUCH CONTROL WE ARE

REALLY GOING HAVE.

>> THIS CALL IN THE STATE EXCHANGE DOESN'T MEAN I GET TO MAKE THE DECISIONS AS I

LOOKED AT EAST LEAST A LITTLE IT LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE DECIDING LIKE IT WAS A SENIOR PARTNER JUNIOR

PARTNER SET UP.

>> IF I'M GOING PAY FOR IT.

>> THE OTHER WAY AROUND WOULDN'T IT BE SENIOR PARTNER OR NO PARTNER.

>> BUT I'M NOT PAYING FOR IT.

>> HOW MUCH IS IT, 10 MILLION WITHIN I DON'T KNOW.

>> HERE IS MY POINT.

>> HERE IS MY POINT.

YOU KNOW, I THEY WERE GOING A LOT THE STATE 9 MILLION.

>> I DON'T KNOW THAT IS ALL IT IS GOING TO COST.

>> EXACTLY.

>> THE REST SON ME.

>> EXACTLY RIGHT.

>> SO MY POINT TO YOU IS BUT WHEN YOU NEED IT, FOR HURRICANE RELIEF, THEY DON'T

COME TO YOU AND SAY BUT WAIT A MINUTE, HOW EXACTLY IS THIS GOING TO GO.

WHAT IS THE MONEY GOING GO FOR.

>> SURE THEY DO.

>> NOT TO THE SAME EXTENT THAT YOU ARE ASKING FROM THEM FOR THESE EXCHANGES.

>> IN FAIRNESS.

>> AND YOU NEED QUICKLY.

>> YEAH, BUT FIRST OF ALL I THINK THERE ARE A COUPLE DIFFERENCES.

THE FIRST ONE IS THAT THEY ARE ASKING FOR ALL THAT INFORMATION.

AND WE'RE PROVIDING THEM INFORMATION EVERY DAY.

>> AS BEST YOU CAN.

>> OF COURSE.

>> AN THEY'RE DOING, I WOULD THINK AS BEST THEY CAN, THE SAME.

HOW MUCH INFORMATION.

>> EX-- EXCEPT THE DIFFERENCE IS, THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT HERE WE HAVE PEOPLE IN NEW JERSEY

WHO ARE IN A CRISIS SITUATION THAT COULD NOT BE ANTICIPATED.

AND FOR MY PERSPECTIVE, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS ALWAYS STOOD UP FOR THAT PROPOSITION WHETHER IT WAS

KATRINA, IKE, GUSTAV, THEY'VE COME FORWARD AND DO THAT, NOTHING DIFFERENT HERE.

>> Jon: HERE IS MY POINT AND THIS IS WHERE I PARTWAYS WITH THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IN

AN ENORMOUS WAY.

IF YOU HAVE CANCER AND YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE, THAT'S HURRICANE SANDY.

>> SURE.

BUT LET ME TELL YOU THIS-- (APPLAUSE)

>> NOT HAVING, BUT NOT HAVING-- WAIT A SECOND, NOT HAVING A STATE-BASED EXCHANGE IS NOT THE

EQUIVALENT OF NOT HAVING COVERAGE.

BECAUSE YOU COULD HAVE A PARTNERSHIP WITH THE STATE, OR A FEDERAL EXCHANGE.

>> Jon: THIS WAS A PLAN THAT THEY DESIGNED.

MY POINT WAS THIS, IN A LARGER PHILOSOPHICAL POINT IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO ME THAT FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IF

IT'S NOT SOMETHING THEY PERSONALLY NEED, IT IS AN ENTITLEMENT OF THE 47% THAT ARE SUCKING THINGS OUT OF

THE GOVERNMENT.

>> BUT WHEN THEY NEED IT, WHEN THEY NEED IT, THERE IS ALL THE REASONS IN THE WORLD

WHY IT SHOULD BE THERE TO THE TUNE OF $30 BILLION.

>> SEE THIS NOT SOMETHING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY NEEDS.

-- EXACTLY RIGHT.

>> WHAT I'M DOING IS REPRESENTING EVERY PERSON IN MY STATE.

>> EXACTLY.

>> REPUBLICANSING DEMOCRATS AND THAT'S WHAT WE ARE DOING BUT IT'S NOT WHAT THE

REPUBLICAN PARTY WANTS OR DOESN'T WANT.

THERE COULD BE DIFFERENCES IN PHILOSOPHY, JON.

>> Jon: THE PHILOSOPHY I SEEM TO ALWAYS SEE FROM THEM IS THINGS THAT OTHER PEOPLE

NEED ARE ENTITLEMENTS AM THINGS THAT THEY NEED ARE THINGS THAT SHOULD BE DONE AND SHOULD BE DONE QUICKLY

AND IMMEDIATELY.

IN THE SENSE OF DICK CHYANNY IS A VERY CONSERVATIVE GUY BUT HE IS FOR GAY MARRIAGE

BECAUSE HE HAS A DAUGHTER.

THEY HAVE EMPATHY FOR THINGS THAT AFFECT THEM BUT HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING THE PICTURE

THAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING.

>> WELL, LISTEN, I WOULD DISAGREE IN THIS SENSE.

YOU KNOW, YOU HAVEN'T HEARD ONE REPUBLICAN ARGUE SO FAR ABOUT THE FACT THAT WE SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF NEW

JERSEY AND HURRICANE SANDY.

>> Jon: WE HAVE HEARD REPUBLICANS TALKING ABOUT OFFSETS THAT WE SHOULD NEVER

GIVE --

>> BY THE WAY, YOU HAVEN'T-- .

>> Jon: MAYBE NOT FOR THIS SITUATION.

>> BUT NOT FOR THIS SITUATION, THAT'S AN ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE.

AND SO YOU CAN'T JUST SAY IT'S JUST FOR REPUBLICANS.

THIS IS OUR STATE.

>> Jon: OUR STATE IS A DEMOCRATIC STATE.

>> Jon: BUT HERE IS WHAT WE'VE GOT TO DO.

WE GO DOWN TO WHAT DOW CALL IT DELORENZO HE AND HAVE A NICE TOMATO PIE.

>> THAT WOULD BE NICE.

>> Jon: AND SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF THE WORLDING TO IN A BOOTH.

>> I'M READY TO DO IT, LET'S DO IT.

>> Jon: GOVERNOR CHRISTIE, (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Loading...