Helen Mirren

  • Aired:  07/16/13
  •  | Views: 12,896

Academy Award-winning actress Helen Mirren discusses "RED 2" and competing with the release of a royal baby. (5:38)

>> John: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT AN ACADEMY

AWARD WIFNING ACTRESS WHOSE NEW

FILM IS RED 2.

>> I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN A

CONTRACT TO KILL YOU.

APPARENTLY YOU'RE GUILTY OF

NUCLEAR TERRORISM AND MURDER AND

YOU'RE NUMBER ONE ON INTERPOLL'S

MOST WANTED.

>> WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I SAID IF I DON'T SOMEBODY

ELSE WILL.

>> IT'S BAD.

ISN'T IT?

>> SEND HIM MY LOVE, WILL YOU?

YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY.

HE GAVE HER A GUN.

>> WAS IT LOADED?

YES.

ARE YOU BEING CONTROL SOMETHING.

>> NO.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE CHANCES IN A

RELATIONSHIP.

YOU HAVE TO BE SUPPORTIVE.

>> John: IT'S THE MOST CLASSY

WAY TO DISPOSE OF A BODY.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW

THE GREAT DAME HELEN MIIREN.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> I THINK YOU SHOULD CONDUCT

THE WHOLE INTERVIEW ON YOUR

KNEES ACTUALLY.

>> John: I'VE NOT ACTUALLY MET A

DAME BEFORE.

SO AS A BRITISH PEASANT, AM I

SUPPOSED TO COURTESY OR JUST

AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU MY

INCOME?

>> NO, NO,.

John: HOW DOES IT WORK.

I'M PROBABLY MORE PEASANT

THAN YOU ARE.

>> I WENT TO NORMAL SCHOOL.

THEY CALL IT SOMETHING

DIFFERENT.

>> THEY DON'T CALL IT PRIVATE

SCHOOL.

>> THEY THINK WE ALL WENT.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

>> YOU KNOW, I'M NOT, BELIEVE IT

OR NOT, I'M ACTUALLY A MEMBER OF

THE ROYAL FAMILY.

>> YOU DAMED UP.

I DID DAME UP.

I DID.

I WAS VERY HONORED TO DAME UP.

I THINK THAT WAS PARTLY BECAUSE

I'M THE DAUGHTER OF AN

IMMIGRANT.

I THINK THAT, YOU KNOW,

IMMIGRANTS TO COUNTRIES, YOU

KNOW, WE GET ESPECIALLY KIND OF

HONORED AND EXCITED ABOUT BEING

RECOGNIZED.

>> PEOPLE CAN'T BELIEVE THAT

WE'VE LEFT AND DONE ANYTHING.

WHENEVER I GO HOME ALL MY

FRIENDS... THEY ALWAYS SAY, ALL

RIGHT, HOLLYWOOD.

HOW IS BRAD PIT?

I GUESS IF YOUR FRIENDS DO THAT,

THAT'S ACTUALLY A VALID

QUESTION.

>> I'M SURE YOU'VE MET...

HAVEN'T YOU MET BRAD?

>> John: DO YOU KNOW HE WAS A

GUEST HERE.

I DID MEET HIM.

AND HE SMELLED UNBELIEVABLE.

UNBELIEVABLE.

>> THE OTHER THING ABOUT MOVIE

STARS LIKE BRAD PITT, THEY LOOK

PERFECTLY ORDINARY WHEN YOU LOOK

AT THEM EXCEPT IT'S BRAD PITT.

OH, MY GOD, IT'S BRAD PITT.

IF YOU IGNORE THAT FROM THE NECK

DOWN THEY LOOK KIND OF ORDINARY.

THEY HAVE A T-SHIRT ON OR A

JACKET OR SOMETHING.

BUT IF YOU GET TO TOUCH THEM,

THEY FEEL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, THEIR CLOTHES

ARE MADE OF SUCH INCREDIBLE

FABRIC.

SO AN ORDINARY JACKET YOU TOUCH

AND YOU REALIZE IT'S LIKE THE

MOST EXPENSIVE CASHMERE YOU'VE

EVER TOUCHED IN YOUR LIFE.

I ALWAYS TRY AND TOUCH MOVIE

STARS.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

SNON I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS.

BUT THAT ANIMAL IS EXTINCT NOW.

RED 2 IS OUT THIS WEEK.

>> IT IS.

John: QUITE A MOVE GOING TOE

TO TOE WITH THE RELEASE OF THE

NEW ROYAL BABY.

>> YES.

BUT MAYBE MORE LAUGHS IN OUR

MOVIE.

I DON'T KNOW.

>> IT IS REALLY ENJOYABLE.

THE FIRST ONE WAS FAMOUS FOR

HAVING A CAR SPINNING AROUND IN

IT.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

I THINK THERE'S THREE CAR

SPINS.

>> CLASSIC STUDIO IN HOLLYWOOD,

ISN'T IT?

A THREE-CAR SPIN, THREE TIMES

THE MONEY.

>> I'M IN ONE OF THOSE CAR

SPINS.

IT WAS GREAT SHOOTING IT BECAUSE

YOU DON'T DO THAT IN REAL LIFE.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

YOU'RE IN THE STUDIO AND THE CAR

IS LITERALLY ON A THING THAT

GOES ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND

UNTIL YOU FEEL COMPLETELY SICK

BUT IT WAS FUN.

>> John: WHAT IS IT LIKE MEETING

THE QUEEN?

>> WELL, I MEAN, I HAVE MET THE

QUEEN.

>> WHEN YOU GOT DAMED.

I GOT DAMED BY CHARLES.

THAT DOESN'T COUNT THEN.

BUT ANYWAY, IT WASN'T THE

QUEEN BUT I HAD MET THE QUEEN ON

OTHER OCCASIONS BUT NOT... NOT

IN AN INTIMATE SITUATION

PARTICULARLY.

HAVING A CUP OF TEA, NOT LIKE

THAT.

>> THE FIRST TIME DID IT FEEL

STRANGE?

YOU ARE THE LADY FROM...

>> ABSOLUTELY.

OH, BUT IT IS LIKE MEETING MOVIE

STARS.

YOU CAN'T GET OVER THE FACT THAT

THERE'S THAT INCREDIBLY FAMOUS

FACE LOOKING AT YOU.

IT'S SO HARD.

I CALL IT QUEENITIS.

YOU GET QUEENITIS.

FIRST OF ALL, YOU START TALKING

LIKE THIS.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY.

I DON'T TALK LIKE THAT.

>> IT'S HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO

SOUND.

>> YOU START SAYING TERRIBLY.

IT'S SUCH FUN.

WHY AM I TALKING LIKE THAT?

YOU KEEP SAYING SHUT UP.

JUST BE NORMAL.

BE NORMAL.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

>> RED 2 WILL BE IN THE THEATERS

ON FRIDAY.

IT SUCH FUN.

IT IS SUCH FUN.

DAME HELEN M

Loading...