Sandra Bullock

  • Aired:  10/02/13
  •  | Views: 41,386

"Gravity" star Sandra Bullock talks flying and George Clooney's unusual role as a charismatic, rough-and-tumble ladies man. (6:27)

[APPLAUSE]>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, FROM HER NEW FILM CALLED "GRAVITY."

MY GUEST TONIGHT, FROM HER NEW FILM CALLED "GRAVITY."

>> LISTEN TO MY VOICE.

YOU NEED TO FOCUS.

A FEW SECONDS I WON'T BEABLE TO TRACK YOU.

I CAN'T SEE YOU ANYMORE.

DO IT NOW! >> HOUSTON, I'VE LOST VISUAL.

>> Jon: PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW, SANDRA BULLOCK.

[CHEERS & APPLAUSE]>> Jon: WHAT'S HAPPENING?

[CHEERS & APPLAUSE]>> Jon: WHAT'S HAPPENING?

>> WHAT'S UP?

>> Jon: MAN, IT'S A GOOD MOVIE.

>> GLAD YOU LIKE IT.

WHY DO YOU MAKE THAT FACE THOUGH?

>> Jon: BECAUSE IT'S UPSETTING TO ME.

TO SEE SUCH GOOD MOVIES WHEN I'MTRYING TO MAKE ONE.

>> I KNOW THAT FEELING.

I'VE BEEN IN THAT POSITION MUCH OF MY CAREER.

>> Jon: I'M BACK THERE SCRAPING AWAY AND LIKE -- I DON'T WANT TO

KNOW HOW YOU MADE IT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THAT WILL -- IT IS

TRULY TECHNOLOGICALLY SPECTACULAR.

>> YEAH.

THEY DID AN AMAZING JOB.

>> Jon: AMAZING.

>> EACH FRAME HAD AT LEAST 250 PEOPLE WORKING ON EACH

PARTICULAR FRAME AT ONE POINT.

THAT'S HOW MUCH LOVE WENT INTO EACH FRAME.

>> Jon: SO THEY -- BUT THAT'S NORMALLY LIKE WHAT YOU DO WITH

AN ANIMATED FILM.

THIS IS NOT ANIMATION.

>> I MEAN, IT'S -- THERE'S A PART OF IT IS THAT IS SIMILAR.

>> Jon: REALLY?

YOU WERE IN SPACE. >> WE WERE IN SPACE.

RIGHT.

>> Jon: SO WHEN YOU'RE DOING THAT, DO YOU HAVE ANY SENSE.

HOW MUCH TRUST DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE IN THIS DIRECTOR, WHO IS A

FABULOUS DIRECTOR?

>> YOU KNOW, 1000%.

>> Jon: YOU HAVE TO TRUST. >> AS ALL YOUR ACTORS HAVE TO

TRUST YOU. >> Jon: YEAH.

>> I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO DO ANAMAZING JOB.

YOU'RE GOING TO BE GOOD AT THIS.

>> Jon: WE'RE GETTING THERE.

THE AMAZING THING IS, NORMALLY AMOVIE OF THIS KIND OF

TECHNOLOGICAL PRECISION AND ACUITY DOESN'T HAVE EMOTION IN

IT.

THEY FIND A WAY TO BLEED THAT OUT.

>> IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE SO CONCENTRATED ON THE AMAZING

ASPECTS OF THE EFFECTS, WHICH THEY ARE AMAZING.

I CAN SEE YOU GETTING LOST IN THAT.

THE WAY THAT ALFONSO THE DIRECTOR USED IT WAS ALL

TO ACCENTUATE FEAR AND JOY.

IT WAS ALL TO MAKE THE EMOTION STRONGER AND TO MAKE YOU

BELIEVE THIS WORLD IN AWAY THAT YOU NEVER COULD

HAVE HAD THAT TECHNOLOGYNOT EXISTED.

IT DIDN'T EXIST UNTIL WEEKS BEFORE WE STARTED SHOOTING IN

MANY CASES. >> Jon: YOU GO BACK NOW AND YOU

WATCH OTHER SPACE MOVIES, THEY'RE STILL ENJOYABLE.

LIKE 2001, I WATCH THAT SCENE WHERE THEY'RE BURSTING THROUGH

THE WHATEVER HYDRO ZONE WITH EVERYTHING FLYING OUT AND I'M

LIKE -- YOU KNOW?

[LAUGHTER]>> KUBRICK IS GOING TO STRIKE

YOU DOWN.

>> Jon: YOU THINK SO?

>> YEAH. >> Jon: WHEN YOU'RE SITTING IN

THE THEATER AND YOU'RE WATCHING IT, YOU DO -- LIKE I FEEL LIKE

I'M -- I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE NOWTO -- NOT TO GIVE AWAY THE

MOVIE, BUT TO FIGHT ALIENS INSPACE. >> OH!

[LAUGHTER]YOU'RE RIGHT.

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE -- YOU GAVE EVERYTHING AWAY.

>> Jon: CLOONEY PLAYS A CHARISMATIC LADIES MAN.

IT'S NOT BELIEVABLE.

I DIDN'T -- >> THE THING YOU HAVE TO DO --

WE ASK YOU TO SUSPEND BELIEF.

LOOK, I'M FLYING.

DID YOU BELIEVE THAT?

>> Jon: BUT I THOUGHT YOUR ACTING WAS UNBELIEVABLE.

I WAS LIKE OH, NO, SANDRA! >> BUT --

>> Jon: I KNOW HER.

SHE'S REALLY NICE.

>> SO YOU BUY ME FLYING BUT YOU DON'T BUY CLOONEY BEING A LADIES

MAN, CHARMING?

>> Jon: COME ON.

>> I SEE YOUR POINT.

>> Jon: BECAUSE THAT IS -- THE SIMPLICITY WHAT IS CRAZY ABOUT

IT IS, IT'S TWO PEOPLE IN JUST LIKE -- I IMAGINE WHEN YOU'RE

DOING IT, JUST IN CHAIRS.

IT IS INCREDIBLY GRIPPING, THE TWO OF YOU TOGETHER, HAVE THIS

INTERPLAY LIKE -- IT'S REALLY BEAUTIFULLY DONE.

>> WHEN YOU SEE TWO PEOPLE IN CHAIRS, IT JUST HAPPENS.

[LAUGHTER][APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: YOU EITHER HAVE A BEAUTIFUL INTERPLAY OR GET

NAUSEOUS FROM THE G-FORCE.

>> HERE I FEEL INTERPLAY.

>> Jon: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN UP --HAVE YOU EVER DONE AN ANTI

GRAVITY FLIGHT?

>> THEY WERE GOING TO DO THAT.

THAT IS WHAT I WAS SOLD ON.

NOW THAT I WANTED TO DO THAT, BUT THEY SAID THIS IS THE ONLY

WAY WE CAN GET THESE CERTAIN SCENES, BY DROPPING YOU OUT OF

THE AIR IN A PERFECTLY FINE WORKING PLANE.

I SAID ALL RIGHT, IF THAT'S WHATWE HAD TO DO.

THEY DIDN'T TELL ME WE WEREN'T DOING IT UNTIL A WEEK BEFORE I

WAS TO GET THERE.

GEORGE LET ME KNOW THEY ABANDONED THAT BECAUSE THEY

FOUND THESE OTHER WAYS TO DO IT THAT WERE LIKE SMALL TORTURE

CHAMBERS.

>> Jon: IT'S HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE YOU WEREN'T ON A

DIFFERENT PLANET.

THE GRAVITY STUFF IS SO -- THE SCENE WHERE YOU PROJECTILE

VOMIT.

[LAUGHTER]YOU KNOW WHAT?

I'M NOT GOING TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE.

>> BUT TO HIS CREDIT, WHEN YOU PROJECTILE VOMIT, YOU HAVE NO

CONTROL OVER THE VELOCITY OVER WHICH IT COMES OUT OF YOUR BODY

BECAUSE THE STOMACH DOING THE WORK.

IN ZERO G, YOU HAVE TO SLOW IT DOWN TO 30%.

BUT TO CONTROL IT AND SHOOT IT OUT SLOWLY AND YET

MAINTAINING -- THAT'S NOT -- IT'S NOT EASY.

>> Jon: THE WORK THAT SHE DID, JUST THE ESOPHAGUS WORK.

YOU MAY WIN -- [APPLAUSE]

BY THE WAY, A QUICK DISCLAIMER.

I GAVE AWAY NOTHING FROM THE MOVIE.

EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT IT WAS ALIE.

JUST TO POINT THAT OUT.

PLEASE GO SEE IT.

IT'S GREAT.

>> THANK YOU. >> Jon: YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.

"GRAVITY" IS IN THEATERS FRIDAY.

THANKS FOR COMING BY, SANDRABULLOCK

Loading...