Exclusive - Kathleen Sebelius Extended Interview Pt. 1

  • Aired:  10/07/13
  •  | Views: 92,936

In this exclusive, unedited interview, Kathleen Sebelius addresses the technological hiccups associated with Obamacare's launch. (6:13)

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]>> Jon: WELCOME BACK MY GUEST

TONIGHT IS THE SECRETARY OFHEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THEPROGRAM SECRETARY KATHLEEN

SEBELIUS.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> Jon: WE'RE GOING TO DO ACHALLENGE.

I'M GOING TO TRY AND DOWNLOADEVERY MOVIE EVER MADE AND YOU

ARE GOING TO TRY TO SIGN UP FOROBAMACARE AND WE'LL SEE WHICH

HAPPENS FIRST.

>> OKAY.

OKAY.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH

THIS?

IS THIS WORKING?

IS IT NOT WORKING?

>> WELL, THE GREAT NEWS IS, WEHAVE A TERRIFIC MARKET.

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, PEOPLEARE GOING TO HAVE A CHANCE TO

COMPARE PLANS, FIGURE OUT WHATTHEY QUALIFY FOR.

INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE TO PLAYBY NEW RULES AND FOR 85% OF US

WE DON'T HAVE TO SIGN UP FORANYTHING BECAUSE WE HAVE

INSURANCE THAT WORKS.

>> Jon: I SEE.

THIS OBAMACARE IS FOR THE 15PERCENTERS AS IT WERE.

>> THE 15% WITHOUT INSURANCE ATALL OR --

>> Jon: HOW MANY HAVE SIGNEDUP THUS FAR?

>> FULLY ENROLLED.

I CAN'T TELL YOU BECAUSE I DON'TKNOW. WE'RE TAKING

APPLICATIONS ON THE WEB, ON THEPHONE.

WE'LL BE GIVING MONTHLY REPORTS.

WE'VE HAD NOT ONLY LOTS OF WEBHITS, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF

ACCOUNTS CREATED.

>> Jon: SO HUNDREDS OFTHOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED

UP?

>> OF ACCOUNTS CREATED WHICHMEANS THAT THEN THEY ARE GOING

TO GO SHOPPING.

JON THIS IS LIKE -->> Jon: WHAT?

THIS IS LIKE A KAYAK SITE WHEREYOU CHECK OUT WHAT PLANE YOU

WANT TO GET ON.

THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU DON'T HAVETO BUY IT TODAY.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE BYTHE 15th OF DECEMBER TO HAVE A

PLAN THAT STARTS IN JANUARY.

>> Jon: THESE ARE INDIVIDUALS.

A LEGITIMATE CRITICISM OF THISIS THAT BUSINESSES WERE GIVEN A

DELAY OF A YEAR BUT INDIVIDUALSWERE NOT GIVEN THAT OPTION.

WHY IS THAT?

>> WELL BUSINESS OWNERS WITHMORE THAN 50 EMPLOYEES AND

THAT'S THE ONLY BUSINESSOWNERS WITH ANY RESPONSIBILITY.

95% OF THEM ARE IN THE MARKETRIGHT NOW.

A DELAY DOESN'T CHANGE THEMARKET NUMBERS.

INDIVIDUALS HAVE TAX CREDITSCOMING THEIR WAY.

HAVE FINANCIAL HELP FOR THEFIRST TIME AND THE MARKET THAT

WE ARE NOW RUNNING -->> Jon: RIGHT.

>> -- IS AVAILABLE FOR THEM.

THAT DOESN'T DELAY THAT DIDN'TSTOP.

WE KNOW ABOUT SIX OUT OF TENPEOPLE WILL GET A POLICY FOR

UNDER $100 A MONTH.

NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

INSURANCE COMPANIES CAN'T TURNANYBODY AWAY WITH A PREEXISTING

CONDITION.

>> Jon: IF I'M AN INDIVIDUALI'M WONDERING, WELL, AN

INDIVIDUAL WHO DOESN'T WANTTHIS.

THERE INDIVIDUALS CLEARLY THATWANT THIS BUT IF I'M AN

INDIVIDUAL THAT DOESN'T WANTTHIS IT'S HARD FOR ME TO LOOK AT

A BIG BUSINESS GETTING A WAIVERAND NOT HAVING TO DO THIS AND ME

HAVING TO BECAUSE I WOULD THINK,GEEZ, IT LOOKS LIKE BECAUSE I

DON'T HAVE A LOBBYING GROUP --NOT THAT I DON'T HAVE A LOBBYING

GROUP, BELIEVE ME, I HAVE ALOBBYING GROUP.

I WOULD FEEL LIKE YOU AREFAVORING BIG BUSINESS BECAUSE

THEY LOBBIED YOU TO DELAY ITBECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO DO

IT THIS YEAR BUT YOU ARE NOTALLOWING INDIVIDUALS THE SAME

COURTESY.

>> AGAIN, BIG BUSINESSES ARE ALREADY IN THE HEALTH MARKET.

>> Jon: THAT'S WHERE 85% OFTHE PEOPLE ARE, YES?

>> THAT'S WHERE 85% OF THEPEOPLE GET THEIR INSURANCE NOW.

THEY WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT,BIG BUSINESS.

THEY ARE IN.

SMALL EMPLOYERS HAVE NO MANDATEAT ALL. NOT NOW, NOT IN THE

FUTURE.

>> Jon: UNDERNEATH 50EMPLOYEES.

>> UNDER 50 FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES.

THE NEW MARKET GIVES THEMADDITIONAL SHOPPING TOOLS.

>> Jon: ALTHOUGH RIGHT NOW ITHAS ONE OPTION?

>> NO, IT HAS, BUSINESS OWNERSARE ABLE TO MAKE CHOICES.

WHAT DOESN'T HAPPEN THIS YEAR ISEMPLOYEES IN A SMALL MOM AND POP

SHOP CAN'T CHOOSE FROM 14DIFFERENT PLANS.

>> Jon: THEY GET ONE.

>> IT IS -- IF YOU RUN YOUR OWNSHOP --

>> Jon: WOULD YOU SAY IT'S ALEGITIMATE CRITICISM THAT AN

INDIVIDUAL DOESN'T GET TO DELAYIT BUT A BUSINESS DOES?

>> NOTHING THAT HELPS ANINDIVIDUAL GET HEALTH INSURANCE

HAS BEEN DELAYED AT ALL.

THEY CAN.

THEY GET THE TAX CREDIT THISYEAR.

THEY HAVE PLANS TO CHOOSE FROM.

>> Jon: SO YOU ARE DOING ITBECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO

GET THE SUBSIDIES READY FOR THEBUSINESSES?

>> THE BUSINESSES DON'T GETSUBSIDIES THEY ARE JUST GOING

TO -->> Jon: THEY DELAY BECAUSE

THEY ARE NOT GETTING EXTRA MONEYBUT INDIVIDUALS DON'T BECAUSE

THEY WILL?

>> AGAIN, THEY ARE IN THE MARKETALREADY.

>> Jon: LET ME ASK YOU THIS: AM I A STUPID MAN?

I DON'T THINK SO.

I DON'T THINK SO.

BUT PEOPLE WAITING FOR A LONGTIME FINALLY HAVE A MARKET TO

CHOOSE FROM.

>> Jon: THAT IS THE GOOD NEWS.

PEOPLE THAT WANT THIS FINALLYHAVE A CHANCE TO GET IT. IT

SEEMS LIKE IT'S A GOOD THING.

BUT IF YOU ARE SOMEONE LIKE MEYOU THINK HEALTH CARE SHOULDN'T

BE IN A MARKET-BASED SOLUTIONBECAUSE HEALTH CARE DOESN'T LEND

ITSELF TO MARKET-BASED SOLUTIONSIBECAUSE PEOPLE CAN'T SHOP FORNS

HOSPITALS.

>> THEY CAN NOW.

>> Jon: PEOPLE CAN SHOP FORINSURANCE.

>> YOU CAN FIGURE OUT IF YOURDOCTOR IS IN THE PLAN THAT YOU

WANT.

IF THE NETWORK OF HOSPITALS ISIN THE PLAN YOU WANT.

WHAT KIND OF DRUG YOU TAKE ISTHAT IN THE PLAN YOU WANT.

YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DOTHAT BEFORE.

I'M A RECOVERING INSURANCECOMMISSIONER.

>> Jon: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWEDTO DO THAT WITH

REGULAR INSURANCE COMPANIES?

YOU CAN'T SHOP AROUND?

>> WOULD YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT ISTHERE.

YOU MIGHT DEAL WITH ONE AGENT ORBROKER.

THIS IS SIDE BY SIDETRANSPARENT.

>> Jon: THIS THE FIRST MALLCREATED?

>> YOU BET.

>> Jon: WHY IS IT THATINDIVIDUALS COULDN'T SAY THEY

DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT FOR A YEAR.

>> THEY CAN.

THEY PAY A FINE AT THE END OFTHE YEAR.

THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

THEY CAN SAY I DON'T WANT TO DOIT.

THE THEORY IS THEY CAN'T PICKAND CHOOSE IF THEY ARE HIT BY A

BUS OR DIAGNOSED WITH ANILLNESS.

FOR A LOT OF YOUNG FOLKS THEYARE ONE FALL ON THE BASKETBALL

COURT, ONE AUTO ACCIDENT AWAYFROM A LIFETIME OF HOSPITAL

BILLS THEY CAN'T PAY.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: STILL NOT SURE WHY

INDIVIDUALS CAN'T DELAY CAN WECOME BACK AND ASK MORE

QUESTIONS?

>> SURE.

>> Jon: CAN I ASK THE SAMEONE?

>> IF YOU WANT TO.

>> Jon: WE'LL BE RIGHT BACKWITH MORE FROM SECRETARYACK

SEBELIUS

Loading...