Word Warcraft

  • Aired:  01/20/11
  •  | Views: 187,980

Steve Cohen compares Republicans to Nazis a week after making an eloquent case for civil and honest discourse. (4:43)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS IN THE

WAKE OF THE SHOOTINGS IN ARIZONA

THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF TALK ABOUT

THE NEED TO RESTORE CIVIL AND

HONEST DISCOURSE TO POLITICS AND

I THOUGHT ONE LAWMAKER IN

PARTICULAR MADE AN ESPECIALLY

ELOQUENT CASE ON THE HOUSE FLOOR

LAST WEDNESDAY.

>> WE'RE ALL AMERICANS.

WE'RE ALL HUMAN BEINGS.

AND WE ALL HAVE SIMILAR GOALS

AND SIMILAR ASPIRATIONS.

AND EVEN THOUGH THEY DIFFER ON

PHILOSOPHY, THAT DOESN'T MAKE US

COMMUNISTS OR SOCIALISTS OR

BIRTHERS OR WHATEVER.

>> Jon: HEAR, HEAR!

DEMOCRAT STEVE COHEN OF

TENNESSEE SPEAKING NOT A MINUTE

TOO SOON.

EVEN AS THE HOUSE OF

REPRESENTATIVES WAS JUST ABOUT

TO TAKE UP THE CONTENTIOUS ISSUE

OF HEALTH CARE REFORM.

LET'S LISTEN TO STEVE COHEN OF

TENNESSEE ON THAT ISSUE.

>> THEY SAY IT'S A GOVERNMENT

TAKEOVER OF HEALTH CARE.

A BIG LIE, JUST LIKE GOEBBELS.

YOU SAY IT ENOUGH, YOU REPEAT

THE LIE, YOU REPEAT, THE LIE,

YOU REPEAT THE LIE AND

EVENTUALLY PEOPLE BELIEVE IT.

THE GERMANS SAID ENOUGH ABOUT

THE JEWS AND THE PEOPLE BELIEVED

IT AND YOU HAD THE HOLOCAUST.

(AUDIENCE REACTS)

>> Jon: I YIELD THE REMAINDER OF

MY TIME TO THE GENTLE NAZI FROM

COLORADO.

(LAUGHTER)

DUDE, IT ONLY TOOK YOU A WEEK TO

FORGET EVERYTHING... GIVEN TIME

TO REFLECT, I'M SURE COHEN

REALIZED COMPARING REPUBLICANS

TO NAZIS IS THE POLAR OPPOSITE

OF THE THINS HE WAS SAYING LAST

WEEK AND THAT SHE SHOULDN'T SAY

IT AGAIN BECAUSE IT'S WRONG.

>> I WON'T SAY IT AGAIN, BUT I

WAS RIGHT.

>> Jon: WHAT?

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE)

SON OF A BITCH!

YOU MAY BE RIGHT, YOU MAY HAVE A

POINT, MAYBE REPUBLICANS ARE

LYING ABOUT HEALTH CARE REFORM,

BUT IF YOUR POINT IS TO SAY THAT

THEY'RE LYING, WHY DO YOU HAVE

TO GO NAZI ON THEM?

YOU KNOW, THERE'S ALREADY A

PERFECTLY GOOD WORD FOR LIARS.

LIARS.

(LAUGHTER)

LYING DOESN'T MAKE YOU A NAZI.

LYING ISN'T EVEN WHAT MADE THE

NAZIS NAZIS.

(LAUGHTER)

PEOPLE AT AUSCHWITZ WEREN'T

UPSET BECAUSE THEY WERE LIED TO.

(LAUGHTER)

"YOU SAID THERE'D BE A POOL!"

(LAUGHTER)

YOU KNOW, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO

EXPLAIN THIS, BUT SHARING ONE

ATTRIBUTE WITH NAZIS DOESN'T

MAKE YOU ONE.

THE NAZIS MARCHED WITH GREAT

PRECISION.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN THESE PEOPLE

ARE NAZIS.

(LAUGHTER)

THE NAZIS WERE NOTORIOUS FOR

BROWN SHIRTS.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE THIS GUY A

NAZI.

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE)

WHAT IT MAKES HIM IS A MAN WHO

BRINGS ME DELICIOUS STEAKS ALL

THE WAY FROM OMAHA OVERNIGHT

WHICH, I PROMISE YOU, NO NAZI

WOULD DO.

(LAUGHTER)

AND WHILE, YES, HITLER WAS

FAMOUS FOR HIS LITTLE MUSTACHE

AND JAUNTY RIGHT-HANDED SALUTE,

THAT DOESN'T MAKE THIS BABY

REACHING FOR STRAWBERRY JAM

HITLER!

IT DOES NOT!

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE)

ALTHOUGH... ALTHOUGH WHO CAN BE

SURE?

(LAUGHTER)

AND IF COHEN IS RIGHT AND

REPEATING A LIE OVER AND OVER

AGAIN MAKES YOU A NAZI, WHAT ARE

THESE PEOPLE?

>> HEAD ON.

APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

HEAD ON.

APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

HEAD ON.

APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: HEAD ON (SPEAKS GERMAN)

WE HAVE BEEN HAVING A

CONVERSATION ABOUT CIVILITY AND

HONEST DISCOURSE BECAUSE A MAD

MAN WENT ON A SHOOTING RAMPAGE

BUT THE MEASURE OF OUR DISCOURSE

IS NOT THE AFFECT THAT IT HAS ON

A MADMAN.

THE MEASURE IS WHAT AFFECT IT

SHOULD HAVE ON A RATIONAL

PERSON.

SO LET'S TAKE YOU AT YOUR WORD.

IF YOU LITERALLY BELIEVE THE

REPUBLICANS ARE USING TACTICS

THAT UNCHECKED COULD LEAD TO THE

HOLOCAUST, WHERE DOES IT LEAVE A

RATIONAL PERSON?

YOU CAN'T COMPROMISE WITH THEM,

THEY'RE NAZIS!

THAT WOULD MAKE US NEVILLE

CHAMBERLAIN AND I F I'VE GOT TO

BE A CHAMBERLAIN I'D LIKE TO BE

RICHARD.

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE)

SO CALL OUT THE LIES.

SAY THEY'RE BEING DOUCHEBAGS AND

(BEEP) HOLES OR ASS BAGS AND

DOUCHE HOLES.

BECAUSE THE RATIONAL MIND

UNDERSTANDS THAT FOR THE MOST

PART THOSE TITLES ARE

SITUATIONAL AND TEMPORARY.

WHEN IT COMES TO CIVILITY AND

HONEST DISCOURSE I HAVE NO

PROBLEM WITH COURSENESS, I HAVE

A PROBLEM OF PEOPLE USING

HYPERBOLE WITH A GOAL OF

ULTIMATELY REDUCING A PEOPLE'S

NUMBERS.

HEY, YOU KNOW WHO ELSE DID THAT?

(LAUGHTER)

I'LL GIVE YOU A HINT

Loading...