Grover Norquist

  • Aired:  03/12/12
  •  | Views: 40,528

Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, explains that, along with signing the "no tax increases" pledge, politicians must also stop spending so much money. (7:30)

WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, HE IS THE

PRESIDENT OF AMERICANS FOR TAX

REFORM.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED

DEBACLE.

OBAMA'S WAR ON JOBS AND GROWTH

AND WHAT WE CAN DO TO REGAIN

OUR FUTURE.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE

PROGRAM GROVER NOR QUIST.

( APPLAUSE )

YOU'RE HERE.

>> GOOD TO BE WITH YOU.

>> Jon: THE EVIL GROVER

NORQUIST.

>> SWEETY PIE.

>> Jon: DEBACLE.

YOU'VE COME UP WITH A PLEDGE.

HERE'S WHERE YOU SEEM TO HAVE

STEPPED IN IT.

YOU CAME UP WITH THIS PLEDGE

THAT NOBODY IS... YOU DON'T

WANT PEOPLE TO RAISE TAXES

EVER.

YOU GOT A BUNCH OF REPUBLICANS

TO SIGN IT.

MOSTLY REPUBLICANS SIGN IT.

IT STRIKES ME AS PEOPLE CAN

COME UP WITH ANY PLEDGE THEY

WANT.

THE PEOPLE SEEM LIKE AT FAULT

FOR THIS IF YOU DON'T FEEL

LIKE THIS IS A GOOD THING ARE

THE PEOPLE WHO SIGN IT.

I CAN COME WITH ANY PLEDGE....

>> THERE HAVE BEEN OVER TIME

QUITE A NUMBER OF

QUESTIONNAIRES AND PLEDGES AND

THINGS THAT SOMEBODY SAYS YOU

SHOULD MAKE ALL THESE

COMMITMENTS.

THE REASON WHY THE PLEDGE HAS

BEEN SUCCESSFUL IS THAT IT'S

SIMPLE.

IT DOESN'T... THERE ARE NOT 12

MOVING PARTS.

SOME GROUP IN IOWA HAD LIKE A

14-PART PLEDGE INCLUDING HOW

YOU SPENT YOUR EVENINGS AND

THEY WANT CANDIDATES TO SIGN

IT.

>> Jon: THAT'S MY GROUP "THE

HOW YOU SPENT YOUR EVENINGS"

PLEDGE.

>> THEY COULDN'T GET A LOT OF

SIGNERS.

THE PLEDGE IS, LOOK AS LONG AS

I'M A CONGRESSMAN, SENATOR OR

PRESIDENT I'M NOT GOING TO

RAISE TAXES.

WHEN I SEE A FORMER I'M GOING

TO REFORM GOVERNMENT AND SPEND

LESS.

I'M NOT GOING TO RAISE TAXES.

EVER.

>> Jon: ABSOLUTIST.

>> AS LONG AS YOU'RE IN

CONGRESS YOU DON'T EXPECT TO

BE THERE FOR 500 YEARS.

AS LONG AS YOU'RE IN CONGRESS

OR THE STATE LEGISLATURE.

>> Jon: IS THERE A PRESIDENT

THAT WOULD HAVE EVER LIVED UP

TO THE PLEDGE THAT THEY WOULD

HAVE SIGNED INCLUDING THE

PATRON SAINT FOR MOST

REPUBLICANS RONALD REAGAN.

WOULD HE HAVE LIVED UP TO THAT

PLEDGE?

>> I DESIGNED THE PLEDGE WITH

REAGAN SUPPORT IN '86 IN ORDER

TO GET THE TAX REFORM ACT OF

'86 ENACTED.

THE REASON WAS....

>> Jon: ALTHOUGH THE TAX

REFORM ACT RAISE TAXES.

>> IT WAS REVENUE NEUTRAL.

>> Jon: LOOPHOLES.

>> I'M IN FAVOR OF CLOSING

LOOPHOLES AND REDUCE RATES AT

THE SAME TIME.

AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A TROJAN

HORSE FOR A TAX INCREASE

THERE'S A BILK VOTED ON

TOMORROW IN THE SENATE WHICH

TAKES ALL OF THOSE TAX CREDITS

AT THE VARIOUS ENERGY

COMPANIES GET, ELIMINATES ALL

THE TAX CREDITS THAT ARE

SPECIFIC TO ENERGY AND REDUCES

RATES.

REVENUE NEUTRAL.

GETS RID OF ALL THOSE

DISTORTIONS, ALL THAT THE

ETHANOL TAX CREDIT AND SOME OF

THE ONES THAT THE OIL AND

NATURAL GAS GUYS GET.

YOU'LL FIND OUT TOMORROW WHO

IS FOR GETTING RID OF

FAVORITES, FATE RITISM AND

SPECIAL TAX CREDIT WITHOUT

RAISING REVENUE, WITHOUT

RAISING TAXES NET.

>> Jon: WHAT ABOUT THE IDEA

THOUGH THAT BECAUSE IT'S SO

SIMPLE AND SO ABSOLUTIST THAT

IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.

LIKE IF I HAD A PLEDGE THAT

SAID AMERICA CAN NEVER GO TO

WAR.

AND I GOT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE TO

SIGN IT.

PEOPLE WOULD THINK THAT'S

UNREALISTIC.

IT'S TOO SIMPLISTIC FOR THIS

COMPLEX WORLD.

DO YOU WORRY THAT YOUR PLEDGE,

I MEAN REAGAN RAISED TAXES

SEVEN OR EIGHT TIMES.

>> AND GEORGE WASHINGTON LOST

THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK.

THAT WAS NOT ON PURPOSE.

I MEAN REAGAN DIDN'T WANT TO

RAISE TAXES.

>> Jon: REAGAN DIDN'T WANT TO

RAISE TAXS?

>> NO.

>> Jon: BUT HE DID IT EIGHT

TIMES?

>> NO.

HE HAD A CONGRESS WITH WHOM HE

RAISED TAXES A NUMBER OF

TIMES.

WHEN I TALKED TO HIM ABOUT IT,

THE BIG TAX INCREASE WAS THE

'2 TAX INCREASE.

>> Jon: YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY

ONE HE TALKED TO.

HE TOLD ME HE DID IT EIGHT

TIMES.

>> THE '82 TAX INKURRI HE SAID

WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF HIS

PRESIDENCY BECAUSE, OF COURSE,

REMEMBER HE WAS PROMISED, OH,

IF YOU RAISE TAXES WE'LL GIVE

YOU $3 SPENDING.

>> Jon: HE KEPT RAISING THEM

IN '82, '83, '85.

SO WOULD YOU HAVE RUN SOMEBODY

AGAINST HIM?

>> NO.

THE GOOD NEWS IS....

>> Jon: WHY NOT?

>> WELL, ONE HE HADN'T SIGNED

THE PLEDGE.

>> Jon: (LAUGHING).

IT'S A GOOD THING IT'S NOT

REDUCTIVE.

>> LOOK, THE REASON WHY THE

PLEDGE WORKS IS THAT YOU HAVE...

WE NOW HAVE THE EXPERIENCE

FROM THE REAGAN YEARS THAT IF

YOU RAISE TAXES, IT DOESN'T

REDUCE THE DEFICIT.

THE OTHER TEAM WILL SIMPLY

SPEND THE RESOURCES.

>> Jon: THERE WAS A HUGE TAX

CUT AND HE WENT FROM A SURPLUS

TO A DEFICIT.

DOES THAT PUT ANY KIND OF

DOUBT IN YOUR MIND ABOUT THE

SIMPLISTIC NATURE OF THE

PLEDGE VERSUS THE REAL WORLD

OF THE ECONOMY?

>> NO.

THE PLEDGE IS STEP ONE.

DON'T RAISE TAXES.

STEP TWO-- AND THIS IS WHERE

GEORGE W. BUSH MESSED UP--

STOP SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY.

>> Jon: BUT WHERE IS THAT

PLEDGE?

BECAUSE THE FIRST PLEDGE IS

EASY.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> THAT'S WHERE... WHAT THE

TEA PARTY DID WHEN THEY CAME

IN IN 2009-2010 AND SAID TO

THE REPUBLICANS AND SHOOK THEM

UP THE NUMBER OF REPUBLICANS

WHO HAD BEEN SPENDING TOO MUCH

MONEY.

PEOPLE LOST ON THE SPENDING

ISSUE.

I MEAN THAT'S NOT AN ISSUE

THAT PEOPLE HAD LOST ELECTIONS

ON BEFORE.

>> Jon: HERE'S THE PROBLEM.

IT'S VERY EASY... THERE IS

NOTHING PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR

MORE THAN YOU GIVE US TOO MUCH

MONEY, YOU SHOULD KEEP MORE.

THAT'S THE EASY PART.

I'VE GOT A PLEDGE.

ICE CREAM AND CAKE FOR

EVERYBODY.

HERE'S MY SECOND PLEDGE.

OH, YOU HAVE TO EXERCISE.

I'M NOT GOING TO ENFORCE THAT

ONE BUT WE'RE ALL GOING TO GET

THINNER.

WHEN YOU COME OUT AND YOU SAY

WE'RE NEVER GOING TO RAISE

TAXES, I UNDERSTAND THAT IS A

GREAT BRANDING.

BUT AS A GOVERNING POLICY, IT

SEEMS TOO EASY AND PANDERING.

>> I UNDERSTAND BUT THAT'S

ACTUALLY THE GOOD NEWS IS IF

PEOPLE TAKE THE PLEDGE AND

KEEP IT-- AND THE REASON WHY

PEOPLE TAKE THE PLEDGE IS

BECAUSE THEY DON'T WITH A

RAISE TAXES.

THEY DON'T NOT RAISE TAXES

BECAUSE THEY TOOK THE PLEDGE.

IT WORKS THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

THE PLEDGE ALLOWS SOMEBODY TO

CREDIBLEY EXPLAIN TO VOTERS, I

MEAN IT.

EVERYBODY WATCHED WHAT

HAPPENED TO GEORGE HERBERT

WALKER BUSH WHEN HE BROKE HIS

PLEDGE HE THREW AWAY A

PERFECTLY GOOD PRESIDENT.

>> Jon: EVERYBODY WATCHED WHAT

HAPPENS WITH GEORGE W. BUSH

WHERE HE KEEPS THE PLEDGE AND

WE GO FROM A SURPLUS TO A

DEFICIT.

BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT THINGS.

YOU KNOW, IT'S SO EASY TO SAY

LET'S JUST CUT GOVERNMENT

SPENDING AND LET'S GIVE

EVERYBODY THEIR MONEY BACK.

WHERE ARE ALL THE TRAFFIC

LIGHTS AGAIN?

( APPLAUSE )

THAT'S A REALITY THAT WE

ALWAYS COME UP AGAINST.

IT SEEMS LIKE THE PLEDGE TAKES

SPENDING AND VALUE AND

DECOUPLES THEM AS THOUGH ALL

SPENDING IS THE SAME.

>> WHAT IT DOES IS IT'S THE

FIRST PART OF REFORM IN THE

GOVERNMENT.

DON'T RAISE TAXES.

RAISING TAXES IS WHAT

POLITICIANS DO INSTEAD OF

GOVERNING.

INSTEAD OF MAKING HARD

DECISIONS.

INSTEAD OF SAYING NO TO ALL

THE SPECIAL INTERESTS YOU'RE

TALKING ABOUT.

IF TAX INCREASES ARE ON THE

TABLE EVERY SPECIAL INTEREST

COMES TO WASHINGTON OR AL BANY

AND SAYS, HEY, WHY DON'T YOU

GIVE ME MONEY.

I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY TO GIVE

YOU.

GO RAISE TAXES AND THEN GIVE

ME MONEY.

>> Jon: MOST GOVERNMENT

SPENDING TAKES PLACE IN TAX

LOOPHOLES.

CAN YOU STICK AROUND FOR A

SECOND BECAUSE I FIND THAT THE

KIDS AT HOME ALWAYS SAY TO ME

I LOVE YOUR TAX POLICY

DISCUSSIONS BUT THEY'RE TOO

SHORT.

PUT IT ON THE WEBB.

DEBACLE ON THE BOOK SHELVES

NOW.

GROVER NORQUIT.

Loading...