Democalypse 2012 - Do We Look Stupid? Don't Answer That Edition

  • Aired:  07/25/12
  •  | Views: 74,732

In the middle of a rather banal populist run, President Obama invents an original kind of gaffe when he tells the truth on purpose. (3:37)

COMEDY CENTRAL

( THEME SONG PLAYING )

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: WELCOME TO "THE DAILY SHOW." MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

GUEST TONIGHT AUTHOR JOSEPH STIGLITZ, AUTHOR OF THE NEW BOOK

"THE PRICE OF INEQUALITY," WHICH IS ALSO THE WORST GAME SHOW EVER.

( LAUGHTER ) LET'S BEGIN TONIGHT WITH OUR ELECTION COVERAGE.

DEMOCALYPSE 2012.

DO WE LOOK STUPID?

DON'T ANSWER THAT, EDITION.

WE TOUCHED ON THIS A LITTLE BIT LAST NIGHT.

THERE'S AN OLD SAYING IN WASHINGTON A GAP IS WHEN A POLITICIAN ACCIDENTALLY TELLS THE TRUTH.

RECENTLY, PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA MADE A NEW TYPE OF GAFFE WHEN HE TOLD THE TRUTH ON PURPOSE.

>> IF YOU WERE SUCCESSFUL,

SOMEBODY ALONG THE LINE GAVE YOU SOME HELP.

THERE WAS A GREAT TEACHER SOMEWHERE IN YOUR LIFE.

SOMEBODY HELPED TO CREATE THIS UNBELIEVABLE AMERICAN SYSTEM THAT WE HAVE THAT ALLOWED TO YOU THRIVE.

SOMEBODY INVESTED IN ROADS AND BRIDGES.

>> Jon: ARGUMENT MADE IN APPARENTLY A COMEDY CLUB OF HECKLERS, THAT YOUR SUCCESS ALSO

OWES SOME DEBT TO THE SYSTEM AND INFRASTRUCTURE CREATED TO SUPPORT YOUR ENDEAVOR.

AND THAT'S THE DEBT THAT IT OWES IS WHAT WE CALL TAXES.

THAT'S SUPPOSED TO GO BACK INTO THE SYSTEM.

PRETTY UNREMARKABLE OBSERVATION ABOUT LIFE IN SOCIETY.

HERE'S THE GAFFE.

>> SOMEBODY INVESTED IN ROADS AND BRIDGES.

IF YOU GOT A BUSINESS, YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT.

SOMEBODY ELSE MADE THAT WHAT THAT.

>> Jon: WHAT!

WHOA!

WHAT!

WHOA!

WHAT!

WHOA!

WHAT!

WHOA!

NO!

DID YOU-- PRESIDENT OBAMA, ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE WHO BUILT BUSINESSES THEY DIDN'T BUILD

THAT, THAT BUSINESS, THAT-- ARE YOU INEXPLICABLY AND UNPRESIDENTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A

NOW BANAL POPULIST RUN DELIVERING A NUT PUNCH TO SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS?

IS THAT YOUR POINT, SIR?

>> THE POINT IS, IS THAT WHEN WE SUCCEED, WE SUCCEED BECAUSE OF

OUR INDIVIDUAL INITIATIVE, BUT ALSO BECAUSE WE DO THINGS TOGETHER.

>> Jon: OH, THAT'S YOUR POINT.

( LAUGHTER ).

HMMM.

HERE'S A TIP-- WHEN SOMEONE SAYS, "THE POINT IS..." THE NEXT

THING THEY SAY USUALLY, NINE TIMES OUT OF 10, IS THE POINT.

( LAUGHTER ) BUT I SEE WHAT HAPPENED HERE.

BY USING THE PHRASE "YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT," YOU CREATE CONFUSION BY USING THE

DEMONSTRATIVE SINGLE PRONOUN THAT INSTEAD OF THE PLURAL ANAPHASE THOSE, WHICH OF COURSE

WAS REFERRING TO THE ANTECEDENT ROADS AND BRIDGES-- OH, MY BUTT GUST GAVE ITSELF A WEDGY.

MY BUTT IS GIVING MYSELF A GRAMMAR WEDGY.

WHY WOULD DO THAT!

BUT YOU'RE INAN MEAT AND I'M WEARING YOU.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

IT IS TRUE, THOUGH, ESPECIALLY IN POLITICS.

NEVER SAY "THAT," BECAUSE THE SINGULAR DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN POINTS TO A SPECIFIC FINGER.

ALWAYS USE THE PLURAL "THOSE." THEN YOU DON'T GET IN TROUBLE.

INSTEAD OF SAYING THIS.

>> I DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN.

( LAUGHTER ).

>> Jon: SEE, THAT SPECIFIC WOMAN-- WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY IS,

"I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THOSE WOMEN, THOSE WOMEN." THAT-- WAIT ( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

NO, THAT'S-- OKAY.

Loading...