The Amazing Raise - Stuart Varney vs. Pope Francis

  • Aired:  12/05/13
  •  | Views: 61,131

Pope Francis denounces trickle-down economics as unfair to the poor, but Fox's Stuart Varney respectfully disagrees with the infallible Holy See. (4:54)

SO WE'VE ENGAGED IN SOME ABSURDARGUMENTS.

CAN I GET AN ARGUMENT AGAINSTRAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE BUT ONE

THAT IS DEEP FRIED IN CONTEMPT,SEASONED WITH DISDAIN?

>> ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE US THEEMOTIONAL SIDE OF STORY, PEOPLE

LIVE $15 TO LIVE ON, THEY ARESTARVING WITHOUT IT.

I GOT THAT I WANT TO ASK YOUABOUT THE ECONOMICS OF IT.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: DUDE, ARE YOU SERIOUS?

[LAUGHTER]THAT IS THE TYPE OF STATEMENT

THAT IS USUALLY FOLLOWED BY AVISIT FROM A DEAD BUSINESS

PARTNER AND THE GHOSTS OFCHRISTMAS PAST, PRESENT AND

FUTURE.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]ALL RIGHT.

ALL RIGHT WE'VE HEARD THEARGUMENT THAT YOU NEED IT TO

FEED YOUR FAMILY.

FINE.

I'VE GOT THAT.

[ LAUGHTER ]LET'S HEAR THE ARGUMENT TREATING

IT AS THOUGH YOU ARE NOT HUMAN.

MR. VARNEY WOULD LIKETO STRIP THE

EMOTION AWAY FROM ALL THIS UNTILHE DOESN'T.

>> DO YOU THINK THAT SOMEONEFRESH OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL THAT

DIDN'T GET A DIPLOMA THAT DON'TREALLY HAVE ANY BASIC SKILLS DO

YOU THINK THEY DESERVE $15.

I'M ASKING TO MAKE A MORALJUDGMENT HERE.

>> Jon: OH, I'M MAKING ONE.

[ LAUGHTER ][CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

I THINK EVERYBODY WHO JUST HEARDYOU SAY THAT IS MAKING A MORAL

JUDGMENT RIGHT NOW.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO REINFORCE YOURCHRISTMAS STOCKING THIS YEAR

BECAUSE YOU GETTING COAL.

BUT I GET YOU ARE A SUPPLY SIDERYOU WANT TO HEAR A MORAL

ARGUMENT ABOUT THATTYPE OF ECONOMICS.

LET'S LOOK TO A GENTLEMAN SEENAS A VOICE OF MORAL AUTHORITY

FOR MANY PEOPLE.

>> TODAY POPE FRANCIS DENOUNCEDTRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS AS UNFAIR

TO THE POOR.

>> HE URGES WORLD LEADERS TOFIGHT POVERTY AND INEQUALITY.

>> MONEY MUST SERVE AND NOTRULE.

I URGE YOU TO RETURN THEECONOMICS IN FINANCE TO AN

ETHICAL APPROACH THAT FAVORSHUMAN BEINGS.

>> Jon: SOMEBODY LIGHT SOMEINCENSE THAT IS GOING TO GO OVER

LIKE A FART IN CHURCH.

>> I DISAGREE WITH THE POPE WHODOESN'T LIKE FREE MARKET

CAPITALISM.

I THINK IT'S A GREAT LIBERATOR.

>> Jon: YOU ARE GOING UPAGAINST THE POPE?

YOU ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEPOPE ON HOW TO HELP THE POOR?

HELPING THE POORIS IN THIS

MAN'S WHEELHOUSE.

THIS POPE HELPS THE POOR.

[ LAUGHTER ]BUT YOU ARE TELLING HIM HOW TO

DO HIS JOB?

POPE DOESN'T COME OVER TO WHEREYOU WORK AND SLAP JAMIE

DIMON'S (bleep) OUT OF YOURMOUTH.

[ LAUGHTER ][CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

[ LAUGHTER ][CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S WEIRD THAT WASN'T IN THEPROMPTER.

[ LAUGHTER ]CAN ANYONE ACTUALLY HAVE A

REBUTTAL FOR THE POPE?

>> WITH ALL DUE HUMILITY AND ASA CHURCH-GOING CATHOLIC CONVERT,

DEVOTIONAL CONVERT, I ADORETHE HOLY FATHER, I STILL MUST

COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

NEED I REMIND HIS HOLINESS POPEFRANCIS CHARITY IS A GOSPEL

VALUE.

THAT PUTS FREE MARKET CAPITALISMON THE RIGHT SIDE OF LORD.

>> Jon: EXACTLY.

WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T SERVE BOTHGOD AND MONEY?

WHO WOULD SAY SUCH A THING?

WHO WOULD --[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

-- SAY SUCH A --[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S NOT FAIR.

LOOK AT THE BEARD.

THE GUY IS CLEARLY A MARXIST.

[ LAUGHTER ]STEP RIGHT UP.

WHO HAS NEXT?

>> THE POPE CRITICIZES AN ENTIREECONOMIC SYSTEM AND IS NEGATIVE

ABOUT IT HE IS INDULGING INPOLITICS AND I DON'T THINK HE

SHOULD.

>> I PERSONALLY DO NOT WANT MYSPIRITUAL LIFE MIXED UP WITH MY

POLITICAL LIFE.

I GO TO CHURCH TO SAVE MY SOUL.

[ LAUGHTER ][AUDIENCE REACTS]

>> Jon: THEN WHY AREN'T YOUTHERE RIGHT NOW?

[LAUGHTER]I DO THINK WE'VE GOT SOME COMMON

GROUND HERE.

THINK WE BOTH ACTUALLY AGREETHAT SOME PEOPLE ARE BEING PAID

TOO MUCH MONEY TO SHOVELUNAPPETIZING, UNHEALTHY

(bleep) TO THE AMERICANPUBLIC.

WE JUST DISAGREE ABOUT WHO THOSEPEOPLE ARE AND WHERE THEY WORK.

Loading...