Indecision 2012 - Saturday Right Fever - Nuanced Answers

  • Aired:  11/14/11
  •  | Views: 32,406

Aasif Mandvi reports on how facts and mastery of the issues merely complicate GOP candidates' decision making. (4:24)

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

FOR MORE ON THESE THREE

REPUBLICANS, WE'RE JOINED BY

SENIOR POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

AASIF MANDVI.

AASIF....

>>

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: YOU KNOW, WATCHING

THIS DEBATE, SOME OF THESE

GUYS ARE KILLING IT.

THEY'RE DOING RED MEAT.

WHAT WAS UP WITH HUNTSMAN,

BACHMANN AND SANTORUM.

>> JON, THEIR NUANCED ANSWERS

TO REAL WORLD PROBLEMS WAS A

HUGE GAFFE.

I DON'T KNOW THAT THEIR

CAMPAIGNS WILL SURVIVE IT.

>> Jon: DO YOU THINK THERE'S

ANYWAY FOR THEM TO SPIN

MASTERY OF THE ISSUES AS A

KIND OF STRENGTH?

>> IN THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY,

NO.

KNOWLEDGE IS LIKE KRYPTONITE

HERE.

IT SAPS YOUR CONFIDENCE AND

WEAKENS YOUR TALKING POINTS.

HERE'S RICK PERRY WHEN HE WAS

LEADING THE RACE.

>> ANYBODY THAT IS FOR THE

STATUS QUO WITH SOCIAL

SECURITY TODAY IS INVOLVED

WITH A MONSTEROUS LIE.

IT IS A PONZI SCHEME.

>> Jon: THAT'S IMPRESSIVE.

>> Reporter: FORCEFUL.

>> Jon: LACKED COHERENCE.

>> Reporter: TOTALLY OFF BASE.

THEY LOVED IT.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PERRY

HAS TO ADDRESS AN ISSUE HE

ACTUALLY KNOWS ABOUT.

>> IF YOU SAY THAT WE SHOULD

NOT EDUCATE CHILDREN WHO HAVE

COME INTO OUR STATE FOR NO

OTHER REASON THAN THEY'VE BEEN

BROUGHT THERE BY NO FAULT OF

THEIR OWN, I DON'T THINK YOU

HAVE A HEART.

TEXANS VOTED ON IT.

AND I STILL SUPPORT IT

GREATLY.

(CHEERING AND BOOS).

>> Reporter: YEAH, YEAH.

TOO PRAGMATIC.

THE CORRECT ANSWER WAS

ELECTRIFIED ALLIGATOR MOAT.

>> Jon: NICE.

ALTHOUGH THAT'S NOT EXPENSIVE.

YOU GET YOUR....

>> Reporter: BUT, BUT, BUT,

BUT SEE THAT'S THE KIND OF

OBSESSING OVER DETAILS THAT

SANK PERRY.

NO ONE WANTS A GOVERNOR WHO

GRAPPLES WITH THE REALITIES OF

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

THEY WANT THE GOVERNOR WHO

FIGHTS WILD FIRES BY PRAYING

FOR RAIN.

>> Jon: WHY DOES KNOWLEDGE OF

ISSUES AND FACTS, WHY IS IT A

DETRIMENT?

>> IT PINS YOU DOWN, JON.

IT FORCES YOU TO DEAL WITH A

POTENTIAL CANDIDATE'S WORST

ENEMY: REALITY.

WITHOUT IT, YOU'RE FLYING

HIGH.

NO MONEY FOR PAKISTAN.

SHOVE IT, CHINA.

BUT THEN YOU SIT DOWN WITH A

COUPLE OF INTELLIGENCE

COMMITTEES AND MAYBE GET

FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE OF THE

SITUATION AND PRETTY SOON, IF

WE HAVE MILITARY AID WITH A

STRONG DOMESTIC...

(SCREAMING).

>> Jon: SO KNOWING STUFF,

REALIZING THE REALITY OF YOUR

SITUATION, IS THE ENEMY.

>> WELL IT JUST COMPLICATES

YOUR DECISION-MAKING.

LET'S TRY A THOUGHT

EXPERIMENT, OKAY.

YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT.

>> Jon: OH, I LIKE THAT.

THAT'S NICE.

>> YOU'VE TRACKED A TERRORIST

TO HIS LAIR.

YOU'LL KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE

UNTIL YOU BLOW THEM UP WITH A

DRONE.

WHAT DO YOU DO.

>> Jon: RELEASE THE DRONE.

>> YOU JUST GOT INFORMATION

THAT HIS LAIR IS A

KINDERGARTEN FULL OF CHILDREN.

DO YOU STILL WANT TO BLOW IT

UP NOW?

>> Jon: NO, NO.

SEND IN THE SEAL TEAMS, GET

THE KIDS OUT AND THEN....

>> THINK AGAIN.

THINK AGAIN BECAUSE THE KIDS

ARE ROBOT DECOYS FILLED WITH

NERVE GAS.

SEALS WON'T LAST TEN SECONDS

IN THERE.

>> Jon: (BEEP) THE KIDS.

SEND THE DRONES BACK IN.

GOING WITH THE DRONES.

>> BAD NEWS.

THAT KINDERGARTEN IS ON TOP OF

A DAM.

YOU BLOW IT UP, THE

TOWNSPEOPLE BELOW WILL DROWN.

>> Jon: WHY WOULD YOU BILL A

KINDERGARTEN ON TOP OF A DAM?

>> STAY FOCUSED,

MR. PRESIDENT.

TIME IS RUNNING OUT.

LET'S GO.

>> Jon: ALL RIGHT.

LET'S DO THIS.

SNIPER TAKES OUT THE

TERRORIST.

SWAT TEAM SECURES THE DAM.

YES, THE TOWN IS SAVED.

>> YES, CONGRATULATIONS.

>> Jon: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I'D MAKE AN EXCELLENT

PRESIDENT.

>> ONE OF THE WOMEN YOU SAVED

FROM DROWNING WAS PREGNANT

WITH ADOLPH HITLER.

WELL DONE.

>> Jon: DAM IT.

YOU NEVER SAID THIS WAS IN THE

PAST.

>> YOU SEE HOW MUCH MORE

DECISIVE YOU WERE THOUGH WHEN

YOUR MIND WASN'T CAUGHT UP

WITH FACTS.

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THE

HOLOCAUST.

>> Jon: I GUESS A LITTLE

KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS

THING.

>> AND I GUESS VOTING FOR

HERMAN CAIN IS THE ONLY WAY TO

PREVENT THE HOLOCAUST.

>> Jon: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Loading...