Indecision 2012 - Herman Cain's Black Card

  • Aired:  10/19/11
  •  | Views: 58,856

Larry Wilmore explains why, even if Herman Cain gets the presidential nomination, the 2012 election technically won't be two black guys running against each other. (4:49)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACKED TO SHOW.

NOW, ACCORDING TO SOME RECENT POLLS, HERMAN CAIN HAS VAULTED INTO THE LEAD IN THE RACE FOR

THE G.O.P. NOMINATION, OPENING UP THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY THAT THE 2012 ELECTION COULD BE

A CONTEST BETWEEN TO AFRICAN AMERICANS.

HERE TO DISCUSS IT, OUR SENIOR BLACK CORRESPONDENT LARRY WILMOREMENT LARRY, THANK YOU SO

MUCH FOR JOINING US.

>> JON, JON, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT, BUT I'M NOT SURE IF BLACK

PEOPLE WOULD LET THAT HAPPEN.

THEY'RE NOT CRAZY ABOUT CAIN'S POLITICS.

>> Jon: WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY WOULDN'T LET IT HAPPEN?

>> WELL, EVEN IF HERMAN CAIN GETS THE NOMINATION, IT TECHNICALLY WON'T BE TWO BLACK

GUYS RUNNING BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE WILL DECERTIFY HIM.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: THEY'LL... BLACK PEOPLE WILL DECERTIFY... WHAT DOES... I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

>> PULL HIS CREDENTIALS, JON,

TAKE AWAY HIS BLACK CARD.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: THERE IS A BLACK CARD?

>> UH-HUH.

ABSOLUTELY.

IT'S YOUR PROOF YOU'RE 100% AUTHENTIC AMERICAN BLACK PERSON.

AND, YES, IT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY,

CANE CAN CANE, PIZZA MAN.

>> Jon: HOW?

BY WHOM?

>> ANYONE MORE AUTHENTICALLY BLACK THAN YOU.

>> BECAUSE HE HASN'T HAD GOOD FORTUNE, BECAUSE HE HADN'T HAD A

MOMENT WHERE HE BROKE THROUGH SOMEONE BLINKED DOES NOT MAKE HIM AN AUTHORITY ON THE BLIGHT

OF PEOPLE OF COLOR.

>> GOOD FORTUNE.

HARRY BELAFONTE GOT FAMOUS IN THE '60s FOR SINGING "DAY O"

WHY DOES HE GOT TO CALL OUT ANOTHER BROTHER?

>> IT'S A VERY CATCHY SONG.

>> IT'S ABOUT COUNTING BANANAS,

JON.

>> Jon: SO WHAT'S NEXT?

>> WELL, THEN A TARANTULA GETS INTO THE BANANAS AND HE'S WAITING IF FOR TALLY MAN.

>> Jon: NO, NOT IN THE SONG.

WHAT IS THE NEXT PART ABOUT REVOKING HERMAN CAIN'S BLACK CARD?

>> RIGHT, GUILT BY ASSOCIATION.

>> THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, THE TEA PARTY, ALL THOSE FORCES TO THE

EXTREME RIGHT HAVE CONSISTENTLY TRIED TO COME UP WITH REPRESENTATION FOR WHAT THEY

CALL "BLACK." WE GOT COLON POW L.

HERMAN CAIN IS JUST THE LATEST INCARNATION.

>> SO HE'S SAYING COLIN POWELL IS NOT A BLACK HERO.

>> OF COURSE NOT, SILLY.

HE'S A REPUBLICAN.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: SO THIS IS WHAT...

THIS IS WHAT BLACK LIBERALS DO TO BLACK CONSERVATIVES?

>> OH, NO, NO, NO.

IT GOES BOTH WAYS.

HERMAN CAIN IS DOING IT, TOO.

>> HOW WOULD YOU FARE ON A STAINING YOU AND BARACK OBAMA IN A DEBATE?

>> IT WOULD ALMOST BE NO CONTEST.

HE'S NEVER BEEN A PART OF THE BLACK EXPERIENCE IN AMERICA.

I CAN TALK ABOUT THAT.

I CAN TALK ABOUT WHAT IT REALLY MEANT TO BE POOR BEFORE I WAS POOR.

HE CAN'T.

[AUDIENCE REACTS]

>> JON, IF THIS KEEPS UP, THE RACE WILL ONCE AGAIN BE DOWN TO TWO WHITE GUYS.

[BLEEPED].

AND THERE THIS ALL COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

IF HERMAN CAIN DIDN'T OPEN HIS MOUTH ABOUT RACISM, THE BLACK RESPONSE WAS IMMEDIATE.

>> I DON'T BELIEVE RACISM HOLDS ANYBODY BACK IN A BIG WAY.

>> HE NEEDS TO GET OFF THE SYMBOLIC CRACK PIPE.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: WOW.

THAT'S INTERESTING.

>> JON, THEY'RE BOTH RIGHT, JON.

RACISM ISN'T AS BAD AS IT USED TO BE, BUT WITHOUT RACISM,

CORNEL WEST IS JUST A GUY WITH AN OUT-OF-CONTROL AFRO WEARING A WOOL SCARF IN THE SUMMERTIME.

>> Jon: HOW DO YOU SAY RACISM ISN'T A BIG DEAL.

DISPROPORTIONATELY IT'S PEOPLE OF COLOR.

>> I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT.

>> Jon: ISN'T IT SOMEWHAT RACIST THAT CRACK COCAINE SENTENCING IS HARSHER, PRISON

TERMS LONGER FOR POWDER COCAINE.

>> THAT'S YOUR PROOF OF RACISM,

THAT PEOPLE SMOKING CRACK ARE SITTING IN PRISON LONGER THAN PEOPLE SMOKING COKE.

50 YEARS AGO LITTLE BLACK GIRLS WERE BLOWN UP IN A CHURCH.

THAT WAS RACIST.

I DON'T RECALL DR. KING DREAMING OF THE DAY CRACK HEADS AND COKE

HEADS WOULD BE TOGETHER SINGING "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST."

>> Jon: SO YOU AGREE WITH HERMAN CAIN THAT RACISM CANNOT STOP BLACK AMERICANS?

>> WELL, TRAGICALLY, IT STILL MIGHT BE ABLE TO BECAUSE IRONICALLY THIS BLACK MAN MIGHT

BE BLOCKED FROM THE PRESIDENCY BECAUSE HE WON'T ADMIT TO BLACK

PEOPLE THAT HIS BLACKNESS BLOCKS HIM FROM THE PRESIDENCY.

THAT'S SOME RACIST [BLEEPED],

JON.

>> Jon: LARRY WILMORE,

EVERYBODY.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

I SEE WHAT YOU

Loading...