Common

  • Aired:  09/14/11
  •  | Views: 73,913

Common discusses his memoir, "One Day It'll All Make Sense," and the media firestorm surrounding his invitation to perform at the White House. (6:52)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, HE IS A

GRAMMY-WINNING ARTIST AS WELL AS

AN ACTOR WHOSE TV SERIES "HELL

ON WHEELS" PIERCE ON SEPTEMBER

26th.

HIS NEW MEMOIR IS CALLED "ONE

DAY IT WILL ALL MAKE SENSE."

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM

COMMON.

SIR.

[APPLAUSE]

COMMON, I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M

ASSOCIATING WITH YOU RIGHT NOW.

I FEEL IT'S TERRIBLY DANGEROUS

FOR ME.

LET'S TALK VERY QUICKLY ABOUT

THE DUST-UP THAT HAPPENED TO

YOU.

YOU WERE INVITED TO A POETRY

READING AT THE WHITE HOUSE.

IS THAT CORRECT?

>> YES.

>> AND YOU ACCEPTED IT?

>> I DEFINITELY DID.

>> Jon: AND THAT WAS CAUSE FOR

MANY NEWS ORGANIZATION, ONE NEWS

ORGANIZATION...

[LAUGHTER]

TO SUGGEST THAT PERHAPS THE

REINCARNATION OF CHE GUEVARA HAD

BEEN INVITED TO THE WHITE HOUSE.

WHAT DID I FEEL LIKE TO BE IN

THE MIDDLE OF THAT FIRESTORM, TO

ACCEPT AN INVITATION TO A WHITE

HOUSE YOU HAD ALREADY BEEN TO A

COUPLE OF TIMES?

WHAT DID THE FIRESTORM FEEL

LIKE?

>> WELL, AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT

WAS HUMOROUS.

I'M LIKE, REALLY, THEY THINK

THAT I'M THE PERSON THAT'S A

NEGATIVE, A NEGATIVE RAP ARTIST,

AND THEN I REALIZED THAT THEY

JUST DIDN'T KNOW ME BECAUSE IF

THEY HAD, THEY WOULDN'T COME OUT

AND SAY THAT I RAP ABOUT KILLING

COPS, AND, YOU KNOW, ANYBODY

THAT KNOWS ME KNOWS I PUT OUT

MUSIC ABOUT LOVE.

I PUT OUT MUSIC ABOUT SOCIAL

CONSCIOUSNESS, COMMUNITY, GOD,

HAVING FUN.

>> Jon: BUT YOU HAVE TO ADMIT,

THE SWEATER YOU'RE WEARING,

THAT'S A VERY THICK COLLAR.

THAT'S UNUSUAL.

THAT COULD SCARE WHITE PEOPLE.

>> OH, MAN.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: A LOT OF WHITE PEOPLE

WEAR SOMETIMES THINNER COLLARS

ON THEIR SWEATERS.

AND THEN YOU COME IN...

>> DOES MY TIE HELP THE WHOLE

OUTFIT?

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: I FEEL A LITTLE MORE

COMFORTABLE WITH IT, BUT...

>> POLITICALLY CORRECT, RIGHT?

>> Jon: BUT IT MUST HAVE

BEEN... YOU KNOW, ALMOST A

FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE.

HOW DID YOU... DID ALL OF A

SUDDEN, YOU KNOW, YOUR E-MAIL GO

OFF WHEN THIS WAS OCCURRING?

>> WELL, IT WAS STRANGE.

I WAS WORKING ON A PROJECT

CALLED "HELL ON WHEELS," AND

WHILE WE WERE FILMING, I WAS

GETTING TEXTS, AND WHEN I CAME

BACK I SEEN ONE OF MY FRIENDS

TEXTED ME AND SAID, DON'T LET IT

GET TO YOU.

I WAS WONDERING WHAT HE WAS

TALKING ABOUT.

I'M LIKE, WHAT, DID SOME GIRL

SAY SOMETHING ABOUT ME?

SO THEN I STARTED GETTING MORE

TEXTS SAYING, THAT THEN I

REALIZED SOME OF MY TEAM MEMBERS

TOLD ME, YOU KNOW, THEY'RE

SAYING FOX NEWS AND SARAH PALIN

SAID THIS AND THAT ABOUT YOU,

THAT YOU ARE THIS TYPE OF

ARTIST.

THAT'S WHEN I WAS LIKE REALLY,

YOU SURE?

SARAH PALIN MUST HAVE NEVER

HEARD ANY OF COMMON'S MUSIC.

SHE'S NEVER BEEN...

>>

>> Jon: I THINK WHEN SHE'S ON

THE BUS TOURING THE GREAT STATES

OF AMERICA, SHE MAY GET DOWN.

WE DON'T KNOW.

BUT YOU COME OUT.

NOW, THIS BOOK IS YOUR MEMOIR.

IT'S BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN.

YOU REALLY ARE A WONDERFUL

WRITER.

AND YOU ARE ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH

WITH... AS I WAS READING IT, I

WAS THINKING, BOY, I DON'T KNOW

ANYTHING ABOUT MYSELF.

YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE VERY

OPEN ABOUT THINGS WITH A GREAT

DEAL OF SPEED.

WAS IT DIFFICULT TO GET TO THAT

POINT?

>> NO, I THINK IT STARTED WITH

JUST BEING RAISED BY MY MOTHER,

WHO TAUGHT ME TO LOVE MYSELF.

AND SHE LOVED ME SO STRONG THAT

I FELT CONFIDENT IN MYSELF

ENOUGH TO BE AROUND WHOEVER I

AM, WHOEVER I'M AROUND, I CAN BE

MYSELF.

>> Jon: UH-HUH.

>> AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO BE OPEN

BECAUSE WE'RE ALL HUMAN BEING,

MAN.

WE ALL HAVE GREAT THINGS ABOUT

US, AND WE ALL HAVE FLAWS.

WE JUST ARE WORKS IN PROGRESS.

>> Jon: WHY DID YOU SAY WHEN

YOU SAID "FLAW," YOU LOOKED

DIRECTLY AT ME, BECAUSE I

THOUGHT THAT WAS INTERESTING.

"FLAWS," AND THEN YOU LOOKED UP,

I SEE 'EM, RIGHT THERE.

YOUR MOTHER ACTUALLY, AND I

THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERESTING,

WRITES, YOU KNOW, ALMOST

ANNOTATES THE BOOK.

SHE WRITES ABOUT SOME OF THE

STORIES THAT YOU'RE WRITING

ABOUT, GIVING ANOTHER

PERSPECTIVE ON IT, WHICH IS

REALLY INTERESTING.

>> YEAH, I MEAN, THAT VOICE IN

THE BOOK OF MY MOTHER IS REALLY

THE VOICE THAT SHE IS IN MY

LIFE.

YOU KNOW, AS I WALK THROUGH LIFE

AND MAKE SOME GOOD CHOICES, I

CAN HEAR HER SAYING, YES, GOOD

CHOICE.

AND THEN SOMETIMES I MAKE SOME

BAD ONES, AND SHE'S LIKE, WHAT

ARE YOU DOING, SON, COME ON.

TO HAVE HER PERSPECTIVE ACTUALLY

WAS INSIGHTFUL FOR ME, TOO,

BECAUSE SOME OF THAT WISDOM THAT

I STILL... YOU STILL NEED TO

KNOW AND YOU STILL NEED TO LIKE

REMEMBER, AND IT ALSO REMINDS

YOU OF WHERE YOU COME FROM.

>> THERE WERE CERTAIN POINTS IN

THE BOOK, AND THEN IT GETS TO

YOUR DISCOVERY OF WHAT I GUESS

I'LL CALL "THE LADIES."

>> THE LADIES.

THE LADIES.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: THAT IS A CHANT THAT'S

OFTEN USED, THE LADIES, AND IT

IS RELATIVELY OPEN AND GRAPHIC,

AND I REMEMBER AS I WAS READING

IT, I JUST KEPT THINKING,

COMMON, YOUR MOM IS ON THE PAGE

RIGHT BEFORE THIS.

I THINK SHE CAN HEAR YOU.

DID SHE READ THE WHOLE BOOK

FIRST AND THEN... DID YOU HAVE

TO HAVE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT

THAT?

WERE THERE THINGS WHERE SHE

SAID, SO THAT'S WHERE YOU WERE

IN TENTH GRADE WHEN YOU SAID YOU

WERE WITH YOUR COUSIN IN

>> WHEN I WAS WRITING IT, I JUST

HAD TO BE OPEN AND NOT THINK

ABOUT WHO WOULD SAY WHAT BECAUSE

MY TRUTH IS MY TRUTH, AND I LIVE

MY LIFE TO TRY TO DO IT THE BEST

I CAN.

I KNEW MY MOTHER WOULDN'T JUDGE

ME TOO MUCH.

CERTAIN THINGS, YOU KNOW, YOU

DON'T WANT TO DO AROUND YOUR

MOTHER, EVEN AS AN ADULT MAN, I

DON'T GET TOO MUCH PDA WITH A

WOMAN AROUND MY MOTHER.

I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE DOING IT.

>> I DON'T LIKE LISTENING TO THE

RADIO IN FRONT OF MY MOTHER.

I FEEL LIKE SOMETHING'S GOING TO

HAPPEN IN A SONG AND I'M GOING

TO BE LIKE...

>> YES, I MEAN, BUT SHE READ IT

AND SAID, WOW, I DIDN'T KNOW

SOME OF THOSE THINGS HAPPENED.

BUT OVERALL SHE WAS HAPPY I WAS

ABLE TO BE HONEST.

WHEN YOU WRITE SOMETHING LIKE

THIS, YOU'RE DOING IT SO PEOPLE

CAN BE INSPIRED AND BE

MOTIVATED, AND BECAUSE WE ALL

ARE JUST PEOPLE, YOU KNOW,

SOMEBODY CAN SEE SOME OF MY

STORIES AND BE LIKE, MAN, I WENT

THROUGH THE SAME THING, AND I

CAN GO FULFILL MY DREAMS.

>> WELL, IT'S A GREAT STORY AND

REALLY AN INTERESTING AND

WELL-WRITTEN ONE, AND IT'S

REALLY NICE THE MEET YOU.

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

>> CAN I SAY THANK YOU, BROTHER,

FOR ALL THAT YOU'VE DONE FOR ME.

JON JANUARY

>> Jon: HE'S GOING TO BE MY

NEW MANAGER.

I LOVE YOU.

"ONE DAY IT WILL

Loading...