Win, Lose or Straw

  • Aired:  01/23/13
  •  | Views: 101,371

Barack Obama's unapologetic defense of the social safety net leads Paul Ryan to question the president's choice of rhetorical devices. (6:19)

THIS GUY GO QUITE FRANKLY.

HERE WE ARE, LISTEN TWO DAYS SINCE BARACK OBAMA'S INAUGURATION SPEECH IN WHICH HE

MAY RECALL YOU GAVE AN UNAPOLOGETIC DEFENSE OF THE SOCIAL SAFETY NET AND ADDRESSED

THE CRITICISM OF ENTITLEMENT.

>> THE COMMITMENTS WE MAKE TO EACH OTHER THROUGH MEDICARE, MEDICAID AND SOCIAL SECURITY.

THESE THINGS DO NOT SAP OUR NATION, THEY STRENGTHEN US.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THEY DO NOT MAKE US A NATION OF TAKERS, THEY FREE US TO TAKE THE RISKS THAT MAKE THIS COUNTRY GREAT.

>> Jon: THAT'S INTERESTING.

THE PRESIDENT IS USING A RHETORICAL DEVICE IN THIS SPEECH THAT IS -- WHAT IS IT WE'RE

TALKING ABOUT HELP ME OUT VANQUISHED VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE PAUL RYAN, WHAT IS HE DOING?

>> THAT RHETORICAL DEVICE HE USES OVER AND OVER AND OVER A STRAW MAN.

>> Jon: ACTUALLY YOU KNOW WHAT A STRAW MAN IS WHEN YOU CREATE OR FALSELY CHARACTERIZE A

OPPONENT'S ARGUMENT TO DISMANTEL THE ARGUMENT.

I THINK THE PRESIDENT IS THROWING YOUR OWN WORDS BACK IN YOUR FACE WITHOUT NAMING YOU.

PASSIVE AL GRETION.

THAT'S WHAT HE IS USING.

PASSIVE AGGRESSION.

THIS ARGUMENT AS A STRAW MAN.

I COULD HAVE SWORN I HEARD A POLITICIAN MAKE THAT EXACT STATEMENT.

>> WE COULD BECOME A SOCIETY WHERE THE AMERICANS ARE NOT TAKERS VERSUS MARKERS.

WE NEED MORE MAKERS AND LESS TAKERS IN AMERICA.

[ LAUGHTER ]

>> Jon: SO TO BE FAIR YOU DON'T WANT TOO MANY MAKERS IT'S A WHOLE OTHER PROBLEM.

SERIOUSLY HAVE YOU BEEN ON ETSY?

IT'S ALL WE GET IT, YOU HAVE A GLUE GUN, OKAY!

SLAM!

LOOK, YOU CAN'T SAY THE TAKERS ARGUMENT WASN'T A PART OF YOUR CAMPAIGN CONGRESSMAN RYAN.

THIS IS LOOKING LESS LIKE A MAN MADE OF STRAW AND MORE LIKE A MAN MADE OF TIE TITANIUM.

REALLY THREE 20 MINUTE WORKOUTS A WEEK.

THAT'S ALL -- I DON'T BUY THAT FOR A SECOND.

HOW DID OBAMA MISCHARACTERIZE THE MAKERS/TAKERS ARGUMENT?

>> NO ONE IS SUGGESTING WHAT WE CALL THE EARNED ENTITLEMENTS LIKE PAYROLL TAXES FOR MEDICARE

AND SOCIAL SECURITY ARE PUTTING YOU IN A TAKER CATEGORY.

NO ONE SUGGESTS THAT WHATSOEVER.

>> Jon: WHEN YOU WERE SAYING TAKERS YOU DON'T MEAN SWEET OLD GRAMS YOU MEAN HOBO JOE.

I GOT IT.

BUT HERE IS THE THING: BACK IN 2011 CONGRESSMAN PAUL RYAN WAS PRETTY SPECIFIC ABOUT HOW HE

DEFINED TAKER.

ACCORDING TO THE TAX FOUNDATION BETWEEN 60% AND 70% OF AMERICANS GET MORE BENEFITS FROM THE

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THAN THEY PAY BACK IN TAXES.

WE'RE GETTING TO A SOCIETY WHERE WE HAVE A NET MAJORITY OF TAKERS VERSUS MAKERS.

>> Jon: YOU ARE DEFINING TAKER AS AS 70% OF SOCIETY.

THAT'S (bleep) TAKERS.

IMAGINE HOW HIGH THAT PERCENTAGE WOULD BE IF HE INCLUDED SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE RECIPIENTS

ON THE TAKER LIST.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO IMAGINE IT BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T BE HIGHER BECAUSE IT INCLUDES IT ON THE

TAKER LIST, SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE ACCORDING TO THE TAX FOUNDATION REPORT SIGHTED BY A

PAUL REYA, SORRY RYAN.

IF YOU DON'T INCLUDE SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE ON THE TAKERS LIST YOU CAN'T GET TO

ROMNEY'S MORE GENEROUS 47% TAKER TO MAKER RATIO.

IF TAKERS WERE JUST WELFARE RECIPIENTS IT WAS 2%.

I HAVE TO TELL YOU NOBODY EVER WON AN ELECTION DEMONIZING SUCH A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF AMERICANS.

WELL, HARDLY ANYONE.

[ LAUGHTER ]

THE IDEA THAT REPUBLICANS CHARACTERIZED EVEN SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE AS HALMAKES OF A TAKERS SOCIETY --

HALLMARKS OF A TAKER SOCIETY I'LL LET THE SPEAKERS DESCRIBE IT.

>> WE BUILT IT.

>> YOU BETTER BELIEVE THEY BUILT IT.

>> PERFORMING I BUILT IT.

♪ I BUILT IT ♪

>> Jon: YEAH, YOU BUILT IN THAT (bleep).

I KNOW A GREAT WEB SITE WHERE YOU CAN SELL IT IF YOU HAVE A GLUE GUN.

[ LAUGHTER ]

WHAT IS THE DAY -- HERE IS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND -- WHAT IS THE DANGER OF RECEIVING HELP

FROM THE GOVERNMENT WHEN YOU NEED IT?

>> WE RISK HITTING A TIPPING POINT IN OUR SOCIETY WHERE WE HAVE MORE TAKERS THAN MAKERS,

WHERE WE WILL HAVE TURNED OUR SAFETY NET INTO A HAMMOCK THAT ALLOWS ABLE BODY PEOPLE TO LIE

IN COMPLAISCY WHICH DRAINS THEM OF THEIR WILL AND INCENTIVE.

>> Jon: I'LL GIVE YOU THIS: THAT SAY GOOD DESCRIPTION OF WHAT A HAMMOCK DOES.

[ LAUGHTER ]

TO RYAN'S LINER POINT THAT GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS DRAIN YOUR INITIATIVE, MOST OF THE FOOD

STAMP AND MEDICAID TAKERS ARE THE WORKING POOR WHO I'M SURE WOULD LOVE HAMMOCK TIME BUT THEY

ARE TOO BUSY FLIPPING BURGERS OR WORKING LITERALLY THE SWING SHIFT IN A WINDOWLESS HAMMOCK FACTORY.

TRY WALKING IN THEIR SHOES OR YOUR SHOES WHEN AT 16 YOU RECEIVED GOVERNMENT BENEFITS.

>> I DID NOT SEE MYSELF AS A VIFNLGT I SAW MYSELF ON A ROAD OF OPPORTUNITY TRYING TO REALIZE

MY VERSION OF AMERICAN DREAM TRYING TO PURSUE HAPPINESS.

>> Jon: SO YOU DIDN'T FALL INTO THE HAM HOCK.

THAT FREED YOU UP TO PURSUE YOUR AMERICAN DREAM.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL SENTMENT.

WHERE I HAVE HEARD IT BEFORE.

>> THESE THING DOZEN NOT SAP OUR INITIATIVE, THEY STRENGTHEN US.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THEY DO NOT MAKE US A NATION OF TAKERS, THEY FREE US TO TAKE THE RISKS THAT MAKE THIS COUNTRY GREAT.

>> Jon: OH !

SO THE RHETORICAL DEVICE OBAMA USED WASN'T A STRAW MAN, IT WASN'T EVEN PASSIVE AGGRESSION,

IT WAS

Loading...