Exclusive - Rand Paul Extended Interview

  • Aired:  08/12/13
  •  | Views: 87,847

In this exclusive, unedited interview, Senator Rand Paul picks apart Obamacare and advocates mandatory sentencing reform. (8:49)

>> John: WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST

TONIGHT REPRESENTING THE GREAT

STATE OF KENTUCKY, HIS LATEST

BOOK OUT IN PAPER BACK IS CALLED

"GOVERNMENT BULLIES, HOW

EVERYDAY AMERICANS ARE BEING

HARASSED, ABUSED AND IMPRISONED

BY THE FEDS."

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW

SENATOR RAND PAUL!

(APPLAUSE)

SENATOR, THANK YOU FOR BEING

WITH US THIS EVENING.

I'M NOT GOING TO ASK YOU IF YOU

ARE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT

BECAUSE IT'S THE YEAR 2013 SO I

DON'T CARE.

I DON'T CARE.

>> AND THE ALARM CLOCK HAS NOT

GONE OFF.

>> John: THAT'S RIGHT, EXACTLY.

>> YOU KNOW, I'M REALLY EXCITED

TO BE ON THE JOHN OLIVER SHOW.

IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOUR OWN

SHOW.

>> John: YOU DON'T WANT TO BE

EXCITED ABOUT THAT.

THAT'S YOUR FIRST LIE.

SO INSTEAD --

(LAUGHTER)

-- INSTEAD, LET'S TALK ABOUT THE

AFFORDABLE CARE ACT.

YOU ARE FOR IT OR AGAINST IT, I

FORGET?

(LAUGHTER)

>> I'M AFRAID IT'S GOING TO BE

UNAFFORDABLE AND THIS'S THE REAL

PROBLEM.

I'M AFRAID EVERYONE WILL PAY A

LOT MORE FOR INSURANCE AND I

THINK PRECISELY THE PEOPLE IT

WAS INTENDED TO HELP IT MAY WELL

HURT BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT BE

ABLE TO AFFORD IT BECAUSE THE

PRESIDENT HAS MANDATED THAT THE

INSURANCE COVER SO MANY THINGS

THAT I THINK IT WOULD BE VERY

EXPENSIVE.

>> John: THAT'S WHAT'S

INTERESTING TO ME.

BECAUSE NO ONE -- 40 VOTES

AGAINST OBAMACARE NO ONE COULD

ACCUSE REPUBLICANS OF BEING IN

FAVOR OF THIS.

YOU'VE LEFT ALL YOUR CONTEMPT

OUT ON THE FIELD WITH THIS ONE.

YET WHY DOES IT MATTER SO MUCH?

IS IT THE MAN SKATE IN IS THAT

WHAT YOU HAVE THIS KIND OF

RELIGIOUS OBJECTION TO?

>> WELL, THE THING IS, I THINK

WE ALL WANT MORE PEOPLE TO HAVE

HEALTH CARE.

WE ALL WANT MORE PEOPLE TO HAVE

INSURANCE.

BUT WE THINK THE OPPOSITE WILL

HAPPEN.

I TELL PEOPLE THAT THERE'S

ALWAYS THE -- IN WASHINGTON

PEOPLE HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS AND

I DON'T REALLY BEGRUDGE THE

DEMOCRATS AND I DON'T SAY THEIR

MOTIVES ARE BAD, I JUST SAY THAT

WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO THE

OPPOSITE WILL HAPPEN.

AND IT'S KIND OF BECAUSE WE HAVE

THIS -- IT'S -- I CALL IT THE

DINOSAUR SYNDROME.

WE HAVE A LOT OF POLITICIANS

THAT HAVE REALLY SMALL BRAINS

AND REALLY BIG HEARTS AND THEY

WANT TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT BUT I

DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO WORK.

>> John: RIGHT.

AND I'M NOT SITTING ACROSS FROM

A DIPLODONKUS?

>> EXACTLY RIGHT.

THERE'S ONLY CERTAIN

POLITICIANS.

>> John: BUT YOU'RE ALWAYS

INTELLECTUALLY CONSISTENTS WHEN

IT COMES TO THE BANKS.

LET THE BANKS FAIL, LET THE

MARKET CORRECT ITSELF.

WHAT IS TENS OF MILLIONS OF

AMERICANS BEING UNINSURED IF

IT'S NOT MARKET FAILURE?

>> WELL, THE MARKET HAS FAILED

IN HEALTH CARE BUT BECAUSE OF

TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT NOT TOO

LITTLE GOVERNMENT.

I'LL GIVE YOU TWO EXAMPLES.

I'M AN EYE SURGEON.

IN MY PRACTICE THERE WERE TWO

THINGS THAT INSURANCE DIDN'T

COVER THAT THE PRICE WENT DOWN

EVERY YEAR: LASIK SURGERY TO GET

RID OF GLASSES WENT FROM

$2,000 AN EYE TO LESS THAN $500

AN EYE BECAUSE OF COMPETITION.

COMPETITION BRINGS DOWN PRICES.

CONTACT LENSES.

I SOLD CONTACT LENSES AT PRICES

THAT WAL-MART DID NOT BECAUSE I

WANTED TO BUT BECAUSE I HAD TO

COMPETE.

MY PATIENTS WENT TO WAL-MART.

SO COMPETITION BRINGS DOWN

PRICES.

WHAT HAPPENED IN HEALTH CARE IS

WE CONNECTED IT TO EMPLOYMENT

AND WHAT HAPPENED OVER TIME,

DEDUCTIBLES GOT LOWER AND LOW

SORE GOULD TO THE HOSPITAL AND

HAVE HEART SURGERY, YOUR BILL

WOULD BE

$100,000 AND YOUR MOUTHWASH

WOULD COST $55 AND YOU'D GO

"THAT'S RIDICULOUS."

BUT YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY IT SO

YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THE PRICE

AND YOU DIDN'T BRING PRICES DOWN

BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT

WHAT THE COST OF THINGS WERE.

>> John: AS YOU SAY IN YOUR BOOK

YOU'RE A DISSIGNABLE FOR SMALLER

GOVERNMENT BUT IS THERE A PART

OF HEALTH CARE WHERE GOVERNMENT

SHOULD STEP IN WHERE BUSINESS IS

NOT DOING IT?

THE BUSINESSES HAD DECADES OF

OPPORTUNITY TO ENSURE PEOPLE AND

IT HAS CHOSEN NOT TO.

>> WELL,, NO 85% OF PEOPLE HAVE

INSURANCE.

SO 15% DIDN'T.

SO WHAT YOU NEED DO IS LOOK AT

WHO ARE THE 15% AND WHY DON'T

THEY HAVE INSURANCE?

OF THE 15% WHO DIDN'T HAVE

INSURANCE, HALF OF THEM MADE

MORE THAN

$50,000.

WHY DIDN'T THEY BUY INSURANCE?

BECAUSE OF THE EXPENSE.

THEY WERE YOUNG, HEALTHY PEOPLE.

SO HERE'S THE PROBLEM.

YOU HAVE A YOUNG AUDIENCE AND

YOU TELL THEM "OH, YOU MUST BUY

INSURANCE" BUT THEY SAY "WELL, I

MAKE $30,000 A YEAR BUT YOUR

INSURANCE COSTS

$15,000, HOW'S THE MANDATE GOING

TO WORK?"

LET'S SAY THEY'RE ONE OF FIVE

EMPLOYEES FOR A SMALL BUSINESS,

THERE'S NO INSURANCE, HOW DO

THEY BUY INSURANCE IF THEY MAKE

$30,000 AND THE INSURANCE COSTS

$15,000?

THEY NEED THE OPPOSITE.

THEY DON'T NEED LOW DEDUCTIBLES,

THEY NEED HIGH DEDUCTIBLES, THEY

NEED INSURANCE FOR CATASTROPHES

BECAUSE YOUNG PEOPLE UNLIKELY TO

GET ILL, THEY NEED IT FOR THE

RARE OCCASION, NOT THE EVERYDAY

OCCASION.

>> John: HOW DO YOU BALANCE OUT

THE FREE MARKET'S GOAL-- TO MAKE

MONEY-- WITH THE SOCIETY GOAL TO

STOP PEOPLE FROM DYING?

BECAUSE THOSE TWO THINGS ARE

OFTEN AT ODDS.

>> WELL, THE THING IS, YOU HAVE

TO ASK YOURSELF WHAT DISTRIBUTES

THE MOST AMOUNT OF GOODS AT THE

CHEAPEST PRICE?

AND THAT'S VOLUNTARY EXCHANGE.

SO, FOR EXAMPLE, EVERYBODY NEEDS

BREAD.

YOU NEED BREAD AND WATER JUST AS

MUCH AS YOU NEED HEALTH CARE, IF

NOT MORE.

SO IN THE SOVIET UNION THEY SAID

-- THEY'D GIVE BREAD TO EVERYONE

AND THEY WOULD SET THE PRICE OF

BREAD.

BUT THEY WOULD SET IT AT 80

CENTS A LOAF AND THE MARKET

WOULD SAY IT'S A DOLLAR AND

THERE'D BE NO BREAD.

THE STORE SHELVES WOULD BE EMPTY

SO REALLY THE ALLOCATION, THE

CENTRAL ALLOCATION BY CENTRAL

AUTHORITIES DECIDING HOW TO

DISTRIBUTE HEALTH CARE IS AN

INEFFICIENT WAY.

GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE: YOU'VE BEEN

TO BRITAIN?

(LAUGHTER)

YOU'VE BEEN THERE.

>> John: I'M NEVER GOING BACK,

I'LL TELL YOU THAT!

I LIKE IT HERE!

>> YOU KNOW WHY?

BECAUSE YOU'LL WAIT IN LINE.

>> NO, THAT'S NOT WHY.

(LAUGHTER)

THAT IS GENUINELY NOT WHY.

IF I GET SICK, I'LL GET ON A

PLANE AND GO BACK BECAUSE

THEY'LL TAKE CARE OF ME.

>> THEY PROBABLY WILL AND I

THINK'S SPECIAL COVERAGE FOR

MENTAL ILLNESS AS WELL OVER

THERE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> John: WELL PLAYED.

WELL PLAYED.

SO THAT SESSION WENT A LITTLE

BIT LONG.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE REST OF

IT

Loading...