Neil deGrasse Tyson

  • Aired:  01/18/11
  •  | Views: 167,243

Neil deGrasse Tyson is tired of driving around the block, boldly going where hundreds have gone before in orbit around Earth. (7:22)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT AN

ASTROPHYSICIST.

FROM THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL

HISTORY AND THE DIRECTOR OF

THE HIDDEN PLANETARIUM HE'S

ALSO THE HOST OF PBS'S NOVA

SCIENCE NOW.

>> AND IF FOOD IS SEPTEMBER

AHEAD OF THE ASTRONAUTS IT

WILL HAVE TO KEEP FOR FIVE

YEARS.

YET ONLY SEVEN OF NASA'S 65

THERMAL STABILIZED EDIBLES

HAVE THAT KIND OF SHELF LIFE.

BUT THE REST END UP LIKE THIS.

NOW THIS LOOKS NASTY.

>> THAT IS VERY NASTY.

WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT HERE IS

IS OUR CITRUS FRUIT SALAD.

FIVE-YEAR-OLD VERSUS

TWO-YEAR-OLD.

>> SOMETHING HAPPENED BETWEEN

TWO AND FIVE YEARS.

WHAT?

>> A LOT OF CHEMISTRY GOING

ON.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THE

PROGRAM NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: WELCOME.

THIS SPECIAL THAT YOU ARE

DOING, YOU'VE DONE A LOT OF

GOOD THINGS.

LET'S FACE FACTS.

I ALWAYS ENJOY SEEING YOU.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: TOPS.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: BECAUSE YOU ANSWER ALL

THE QUESTIONS.

WILL WE LIVE FOREVER?

WILL WE GO TO MARS?

WHAT'S THE NEXT BIG THING?

ALL THESE THINGS ARE LAID OUT

TO THIS PBS....

>> INDEED THEY ARE.

>> Jon: WHAT IS THE QUESTION

THAT YOU ANSWER IN THE PBS

NOVA SPECIALS THAT YOU WERE

MOST INTERESTED IN?

YOU WERE MOST ENTICED BY?

>> I LIKE THE ONE WE LEAD OFF

WITH.

HOW DO GET TO MARS?

CAN WE GET TO MARS?

IS A SHIP AVAILABLE?

CAN YOU DO IT?

THERE'S STUFF THAT OTHERS

DON'T REALLY THINK ABOUT

LIKE... FIRST YOU HAVE TO WAIT

FOR EARTH AND MARS TO LINE UP

SO YOU CAN GET THERE

EFFICIENTLY.

AND THEN YOU HAVE TO AIM FOR

WHERE MARS WILL BE WHEN YOU

GET THERE.

THAT'S KIND OF INTERESTING.

>> Jon: IF YOU WANT TO GO TO

MARS, ISN'T THAT HOW WE WENT

TO THE MOON.

DIDN'T YOU HAVE TO DO THAT FOR

THE MOON AS WELL.

>> FOR THE MOON YOU COULD COME

BACK WHENEVER NEEDED.

WHEN YOU GET TO MARS, STUFF IS

OUT OF ALIGNMENTS, YOU HAVE TO

WAIT ANOTHER YEAR-AND-A-HALF

BEFORE YOU CAN LAUNCH A TRIP

BACK TO EARTH.

>> Jon: IF YOU GO TO MARS AND

YOU GET THERE, YOU HAVE TO

WAIT A YEAR-AND-A-HALF.

>> AT LEAST.

FOR THE EARTH AND MARS TO

REALIGN TO THEN MAKE THE TRIP

BACK.

>> Jon: WHY DON'T THEY GIVE

THE ROCKET A STEERING WHEEL?

WHY DON'T THEY USE....

>> IT'S IT TAKES HUGELY MORE

ENERGY IF YOU WANT TO COME

BACK ON A WHIM.

WE'RE TRYING TO MAKE THE

EFFICIENT PATHS AS EFFICIENT

AS THEY CAN BE.

>> Jon: WHO IS GOING TO GO TO

MARS AND WAIT THERE FOR A

YEAR-AND-A-HALF TO TWO YEARS

EATING WHATEVER THE HELL WAS

IN THAT BOWL YOU WERE EATING?

THEY WILL NEVER GET ANYONE TO

DO IT.

>> IT'S A WHOLE NEW PLANET.

YOU THINK IF WE SEND THE RIGHT

EXPLORERS THEY'RE GOING TO

WAIT TO HAVE EARTH AND MARS

REALIGNED AGAIN?

NO, THEY'LL BE EXPLORING.

THAT'S WHAT EXPLORERS DO.

MAYBE THAT'S WHAT YOU'D BE

DOING BUT EXPLORERS WOULD BE

LOOKING ALL OVER.

I MEAN THAT'S WHAT EXPLORERS

DO.

>> Jon: DON'T YOU THINK THOUGH

AFTER THE FIRST MONTH--

BECAUSE LET'S FACE FACTS.

YOU'RE NOT WALKING THROUGH

EPCOT CENTER.

IT'S JUST MARS.

YOU'RE LIKE LOOK THAT HOLE IS

DEEPER THAN THE ONE WE LOOKED

IN YESTERDAY.

LIKE IT'S MARS.

IT'S NOT....

>> MARS HAS DEAD VOLCANO AND

RIVER BEDS THAT ARE DRIED.

IT'S GOT FLOOD PLAINS.

IT'S GOT ICE CAPS.

>> Jon: MARS PROBABLY USED TO

BE VERY INTERESTING.

BUT AT THIS POINT, HOW LONG

CAN YOU SPEND IN YOUR

BASEMENT?

>> IF IT'S A NEW PLANET, YOU

KNOW,....

>> Jon: YOU'D BE EXCITED ABOUT

THAT.

>> SIGN ME UP.

>> Jon: YOU WOULD GO?

YOU NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON WOULD

GO.

>> I'M TIRED OF DRIVING AROUND

THE BLOCK BOLDLY GOING WHERE

HUNDREDS HAVE GONE BEFORE.

GIVE ME A PLACE TO GO AND I'LL

GO.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: THAT'S AN EXCITING

SENSE OF ADVENTURE.

I ON THE OTHER HAND FIND NEW

WONDERS WITHIN THE WORLD WE

INHABIT TODAY.

FOR INSTANCE, DID YOU KNOW

DUNKIN' DONUTS NOW OFFERS

GRILLED CHEESE ON FLAT BREAD?

I KNOW BECAUSE I'M AN

EXPLORER.

>> NOW HERE'S THE THING.

YOU CAN EXPLORE NEW FOOD ITEMS

AT YOUR LOCAL COFFEE HOUSE.

BUT YOUR LIFE IS NOT AT RISK.

WE DON'T THINK, FOR HAVING

DONE SO.

ASTRONAUTS EN ROUTE TO MARS,

THERE ARE MICROMETEORS GOING

SIX TO TEN MILES PER SECOND

THAT COULD PUNCTURE THEIR

SPACE CRAFT, PUNCTURE THEIR

SPACE SUIT.

THERE'S RADIATION FROM THE

SUN.

THERE'S THE KNOWN UNKNOWNS AND

THE UNKNOWN UNKNOWNS AND THIS

IS WHAT SEPARATES THE

EXPLORERS FROM THE REST OF US.

IT'S THE EXPLORERS THAT GOT US

OUT OF THE CAVE IN THE FIRST

PLACE.

>> Jon: CAN YOU TELL YOU

SOMETHING?

GOD BLESS THE EXPLORERS

BECAUSE I AM ABSOLUTELY THE

GUY WHO WOULD BE LIKE...

BELIEVE ME.

I'M ABSOLUTELY THE GUY GOING

SABRE TOOTH TIGER, HUH?

>> I, THAT THING IS SHARP.

THAT BEING SAID, THE

SCIENTISTS EXPLORING THINGS

LIKE THE LIFE SPAN THING.

THAT IS FASCINATING.

>> CAN WE LIVE FOREVER.

>> Jon: CAN WE?

>> NOT YET.

BUT THERE'S GREAT....

>> Jon: THAT'S FOR A SHORT

PROGRAM.

>> BUT WE CAN LIVE MUCH LONGER,

WE THINK.

BECAUSE YOU CAN WATCH AS THE

ORGANS DECAY WITHIN YOU AND

FAIL, THERE ARE WAYS OF

REPLACING ORGANS NOT WITH

CYBERNETIC ATTACHMENT OR

SOMEBODY ELSE'S ORGANS OR SOME

OTHER ANIMAL'S ORGANS BUT

ORGANS THAT YOU GROW FROM YOUR

OWN CELLS.

ALL THESE BIG QUESTIONS ARE

QUESTIONS WE TOW WITH US IN

OUR DAY.

SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY ATTENTION

TO WHAT THOSE ANSWERS MIGHT

BE.

WE GO INTO THE LIVES OF PEOPLE

WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS

NEXT GENERATION OF DISCOVERY

THAT WILL ENABLE THE ANSWERS

TO THOSE QUESTIONS.

>> Jon: I LOVE YOU.

LET ME SAY THIS TOO.

LET ME SAY THIS TOO.

HERE'S WHAT I LOVE THE MOST.

YOU SAY TO ME WE'RE NOT JUST

MAKING STUFF UP.

BUT HERE'S THE BEST PART ABOUT

IT.

YOU COULD BE.

I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA.

>> ALLOW ME TO SAY THAT WHEN

YOU ARE ON THE FRONTIER OF

KNOWLEDGE BETWEEN WHAT IS

KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, REACHING

OUT INTO THAT ABYSS, SOMETIMES

YOU DO ACTUALLY HAVE TO MAKE

STUFF UP THAT MIGHT BE TRUE SO

THAT YOU CAN ORGANIZE A

RESEARCH PLAN TO FIND OUT

WHETHER OR NOT IT IS.

>> Jon: THAT'S FASCINATING.

A FAKE... A FALSE BRIDGE THAT

WILL ALLOW YOU JUST A COUPLE

OF FOOTHOLDS TO POSSIBLY FIND

THE TRUTH.

>> THIS IS THE CREATIVITY OF

DISCOVERY.

THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS.

>> Jon: WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT

ME?

>> BUT THOSE WHO DO, ALL OF

SOCIETY FOLLOWS THEM INTO

THOSE DIRECTIONS.

>> Jon: I FEEL LIKE THIS

ENTIRE SPECIAL IS LIKE SIX

EPISODES OF ME BEING

INADEQUATE.

>> PEOPLE ARE EXPLORERS.

>> EINSTEIN HAS A LOT OF GOOD

QUOTES.

IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT

THAN KNOWLEDGE.

THERE IT IS.

>> Jon: WOW.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

THE NEW SEASON OF NOVA SCIENCE

NOW PREMIERES ON PBS WEDNESDAY

NIGHT AT 8:00.

I URGE YOU TO WATCH IT.

IT IS

Loading...