Exclusive - Charles Krauthammer Extended Interview Pt. 1

  • Aired:  10/23/13
  •  | Views: 147,391

In this exclusive, unedited interview, Charles Krauthammer discusses "Things That Matter" and compliments America's liberal tradition. (5:41)

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT PULITZER PRIZEWINNING JOURNALIST AND FOX NEWS

CONTRIBUTOR HIS NEW BOOK ISCALLED "THINGS THAT MATTER:

THREE DECADES OF PASSIONS, PASTTIMES AND POLITICS."

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE PROGRAMCHARLES KRAUTHAMMER.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.

THIS IS THE BOOK.

HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET THAT THEREIN HERE.

THERE YOU GO.

"THINGS THAT MATTER" 30 YEARS DOYOU EVER LOOK BACK AND THINK

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

>> IT'S WORSE THAN THAT.

[ LAUGHTER ]>> Jon: GO AHEAD.

>> THE WORST PART OF WRITING THEBOOK IS GOING ALL THE WAY BACK

AND READING THE MILLION WORDSI'D WRITTEN.

BY THE END OF THIS PROCESS I WASNEAR SUICIDAL.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'DWRITTEN SOME OF THAT

STUFF. >> Jon: WHAT HAS THEGROWTH PROCESS BEEN LIKE?

>> THE GROWTH PROCESS?

WELL, I WAS ONCE A LIBERAL.

-->> Jon: SO THE EARLY WRITINGS

SHOWED HOPE?

>> AND THEN CAME CHANGE.

[ LAUGHTER ]>> Jon: LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT.

YOUR POLITICS HAVE SHIFTED FROMLIBERAL TO CONSERVATIVE.

HERE IS MY ISSUE WITHCONSERVATIVE POLITICS AS THEY

STAND RIGHT NOW.

IT'S TOO EASY.

IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY OF THERESPONSIBILITY OF GOVERNANCE.

IF YOUR MANTRA IS GOVERNMENTCANNOT HELP, THEN ANY CHAOS OR

LETHARGY THAT YOUSOW INTO THE GOVERNMENT HELPS

TO PROVE YOUR POINT. YOU HAVE NOINCENTIVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE.

THAT WOULD BE TRUE BUTUNFORTUNATELY, THE ASSUMPTION

IS A CARICATURE. THESSUMPTIONCONSERVATIVE IDEA IS NOT THAT

GOVERNMENT HAS NO ROLE.

YOU MIGHT HAVE ARGUED THAT INTHE 30S WHEN THE CONSERVATIVES

ARGUED AGAINST THE NEW DEAL.

THERE'S NO QUESTION OF ACCEPTINGTHE GREAT ACHIEVEMENTS OF

LIBERALISM, THE NEW DEAL, SOCIALSECURITY, MEDICAID, MEDICARE.

THE IDEA THAT YOU DON'T ALLOWTHE ELDERLY TO ENTER INTO

DESTITUTION IS A CONSENSUALIDEA THAT AT LEAST THE

MAINSTREAM OF CONSERVATIVES.

>> Jon: I WOULD SAY THAT THERHETORIC IS THE SAME.

IF YOU LOOK AT THE RHETORIC WHENCONSERVATIVES OPPOSED THE NEW

DEAL, OPPOSED SOCIAL SECURITYAND MEDICARE IT'S IDENTICAL.

TED CRUZ QUOTES RONALD REAGAN'SMEDICARE SPEECH IN 1960

AS HE OPPOSED OBAMACARE.

>> TED CRUZ IS NOT THE SPOKESMAN>> TFOR CONSERVATIVES. AS ANSMAN

ALTERNATIVE, PAUL RYAN.

LET ME START WITH HISASSUMPTION.

IT'S NOT THAT GOVERNMENT DOESN'THAVE A ROLE.

HIS ASSUMPTION IS THAT THEWELFARE STATE AS ESTABLISHED

WITH GREAT SUCCESS BY LIBERALSHAS NOW REACHED A POINT WHERE IT

NO LONGER FITS.

WITH THE NEW DEMOGRAPHICS ANDHIGHER TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICINE,

WE'LL SIMPLY BECOME INSOLVENTUNLESS WE RADICALLY REFORM.

I'LL GIVE YOU ONE FACT.

WHEN SOCIAL SECURITY WASINSTITUTED, THE AGE OF LONGEVITY

WAS 62.

TODAY LIFE EXPECTANCY IS 80.

SO WHAT YOU HAVE ISA HUGE CHANGE IN

THE DEMOGRAPHICS AND WHEN YOULOOK TO EUROPE WHICH IS THE

SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC STATE WHEREWE'RE HEADED WHICH HAS ALL THE

ENTITLEMENTS OF THE GOVERNMENTACTIVITIES WHICH A LIBERAL WOULD

WANT AND -- TO WHICH AMERICANLIBERALISM IS HEADED IT BECAME

INSOLVENT BECAUSE IT NEVERADAPTED TO THE CHANGE IN

DEMOGRAPHIC AND TECHNOLOGY.

>> Jon: IF IT WAS EVERPRESENTED IN THAT FASHION, THE

WAY YOU JUST PRESENTED IT, ITHINK THE CONVERSATION WE WOULD

BE HAVING IN THIS COUNTRY ISVERY DIFFERENT.

>> THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE TO BUYTHIS BOOK.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: SO THIS BOOK IS THE

ONE THAT PRESENTS IT.

>> ONE BOOK IS ALL YOU NEED.

THIS IS IT.

YOU DON'T NEED MORE.

>> Jon: EVEN PAUL RYAN DOESNOT PRESENT IT IN THE MANNER OF

THE GREAT VICTORIES OFLIBERALISM MEDICARE AND SOCIAL

SECURITY, THE GREAT SOCIALSAFETY NET THAT LIBERALS HAVE

HELPED BUILD AND FOUGHT FOR.

IT'S PRESENTED AS PROGRESSIVISMIS DESTROYING OUR NATION,

OBAMACARE IS GOING TO CHANGE USFROM NOT BEING AMERICA ANYMORE

AND I THINK GERMANY WOULD ARGUEWITH YOUR ECONOMIC ARGUMENT THAT

A SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC STATE CANNOTPROSPER AND CREATE WEALTH.

>> LOOK, YOU DON'T EXPECT APOLITICIAN TO SPEND HALF HIS

SPEECH PRAISING THE OTHER SIDE.

SO IT'S A MATTER OF TIMECONSTRAINTS.

I HAVE A LOT OF TIME.

[ LAUGHTER ]I HAVE THE BOOK DONE, I HAD 30

YEARS.

IT'S IN ONE BOOK.

EASY TO CARRY ON.

>> Jon: I DON'T THINK THIS ISTHE AUDIENCE THAT NEEDS TO READ

IT.

GIVE IT TO PAUL RYAN AND TEDCRUZ.

CRDON'T GIVE IT TO THEM, THEYKNOW.

CAN YOU STICK AROUND.

CANWE'LL BE BACK WITH CHARLESKRAUTHAMMER.

Loading...