Mess O'Slightly-to-the-Left O'Potamia - Credit for Egypt's Uprising

  • Aired:  02/14/11
  •  | Views: 201,285

America supported Mubarak's repressive regime for 30 years because it was testing the people of Egypt. (4:42)

NOW IN THE WAKE OF THE WAKE OF

THE REVOLUTION, THE BIG

QUESTION REMAINS.

WHO CAN TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS

UPRISE SOMETHING.

>> IT WAS A REVOLUTION THAT

REALLY STARTED ON FACEBOOK.

IT WAS SUSTAINED BY TWITTER.

AND SAVED BY GOOGLE.

>> Jon: AND OF COURSE RUINED

BY ROULETTE.

COME ON.

REALLY?

EVEN DURING A REVOLUTION.

SO IN EGYPT THEY USED SOCIAL

MEDIA TO FOMENT AND SUSTAIN A

PEACEFUL REVOLUTION.

WHEREAS HERE WE MIGHT USE IT

TO SAY DO PROMOTIONS FOR NEVER

SAY NEVER OR SEE AN OR GANG

TAN PEE INTO HIS OWN MOUTH.

BY THE WAY, WHEN IS THAT

COMING OUT IN 3-D?

IT COULDN'T ALL BE ATTRIBUTED

TO THE INTERNET.

SURELY, THERE IS A DEEPER,

MORE "I TOLD YOU SO "TYPE

CAUSE.

>> CAN YOU TAKE ANY PRIDE IN

WHAT IS TAKING PLACE IN THE

MIDDLE EAST BECAUSE ALONG WITH

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH YOU

TALKED ABOUT FREEDOM BACK AS

EARLY AS 2004 COMING TO THE

MIDDLE EAST.

A LOT OF PEOPLE SAID YOU'RE

CRAZY.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE

CULTURE.

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THOSE

PEOPLE NOW?

>> Jon: HEY, HEY, HEY, JUST SO

WE'RE CLEAR.

PRESIDENT BUSH AND TONY BLAIR

DIDN'T INVENT FREEDOM IN THE

EARLY 2000s.

AND THEN GEORGE BUSH AND TONY

BLAIR STOLE IT FROM THEM.

OH, TWINS, WILL YOU EVER WIN?

BY THE WAY, THE ARGUMENT

AGAINST THE IRAQ WAR WASN'T

PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE EAST

CAN'T HANDLE DEMOCRACY.

IT WAS THAT THEY MIGHT NOT

APPRECIATE ITS FOURTH IMPORT.

SOME OF THE ONLY PEOPLE I SEE

WORRYING ABOUT FREEDOM IN THAT

PART OF THE WORLD WORK DOWN

THE HALL FROM YOU.

>> THE EXPERTS ARE CELEBRATING

THIS AS A VICTORY FOR FREEDOM.

MAYBE YOU GOT RID OF A

DICTATOR TODAY.

BUT WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW?

RECENT POLLS IN EGYPT SHOW

THAT 84% SAY THAT APOSTATES OR

THOSE WHO FOR SAKE ISLAM

SHOULD FACE THE DEATH PENALTY.

>> GERMANY HAD DEMOCRACY AND

VOTED IN HITLER.

>> Jon: I CAN TEAR... I CAN

TAKE CARE OF THIS.

EGYPT, DURING YOUR ELECTIONS

IF THERE'S A GUY RUNNING, HE

HAS A LITTLE MOUSTACHE AND

WHENEVER HE TALKS YOU DOES

THIS (RANTING), DON'T VOTE FOR

THAT GUY.

DON'T EVEN PUT THAT GUY ON THE

BALLOT.

(BEEP) THAT GUY.

THAT WILL DO IT.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

OF COURSE SOME PEOPLE CHOSE TO

NEITHER GIVE CREDIT TO NOR

FEAR FOR AMERICA.

PLACING THE FOCUS ON, OF ALL

THINGS, EGYPT.

>> THE CREDIT DOES NOT BELONG

TO US THE UNITED STATES.

THE CREDIT BELONGS TO THOSE

YOUNG PEOPLE OUT IN THE

STREETS OF CAIRO WHO WERE SO

BRAVE.

>> Jon: THAT IS OVER THE LINE,

GERGEN.

IT WAS US.

AND THE INTERNET.

GEORGE W. BUSH AND PETS DOT-COM.

IT WAS FREEDOM FRIES AND J-DATE.

PROBABLY NOT J-DATE.

OF COURSE AS THE EUPHORIA DIES

DOWN, THOSE PEOPLE IN EGYPT

ARE PROBABLY WONDERING WHY WE

IN THE UNITED STATES HAD

SUPPORTED THIS REPRESSIVE

REGIME OF MUBARAK FOR ALMOST

30 YEARS NOW.

FUNNY, THERE'S A SIMPLE

EXPLANATION.

FUNNY STORY.

WE WERE TESTING YOU.

WE HAD TO KNOW IF YOU WERE

WORTHY OR IF UNDER DURESS YOU

WOULD PERHAPS GIVE AWAY OUR

FREEDOM SECRETS.

PERHAPS IT WOULD ALL MAKE

SENSE IF I SHOW YOU WHAT

YOU'VE WON.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

DO YOU SEE NOW WHY WE COULDN'T

TELL YOU?

THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY REALLY

LOOKS LIKE.

COME WITH ME AND YOU'LL BE IN

A WORLD OF VOTER

PARTICIPATION.

TAKE MY HAND, GO INTO THE

BOOTH AND VOTE FOR AN

ELECTORAL REPRESENTATIVE WHO

WILL REPRESENT YOUR COMMUNITY

AND ALSO THE ELECTORAL

CONGLOMERATE.

IT'S A LITTLE COMPLICATED.

ANYWAY, GOOD LUCK WITH ALL OF

IT.

SORRY ABOUT THE TEAR GAS

Loading...