Regis Philbin

  • Aired:  08/14/13
  •  | Views: 10,069

"Crowd Goes Wild" host Regis Philbin discusses cricket, soccer and the New York Yankees. (5:16)

WE'RE BACK.

OUR GUEST TONIGHT IS A LEGENDARY

TALK SHOW HOST, HOSTING THE SHOW

FROM THE BRAND NEW FOX SPORTS 1

NETWORK.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW

THE MAGNIFICENT REGIS PHILBIN.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> THANK YOU.

John: MR. FILL BIN, SIR,

MANY, MANY THANKS FOR BEING

HERE.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

John: YOU'RE WITH FOX SPORTS

1 NOW.

>> YES, HOW ABOUT THAT?

John: IS FOX GOING TO DO TO

SPORTS WHAT THEY DID TO NEWS?

THEY'RE GOING TO BLAME

EVERYTHING ON THE WHITE HOUSE?

>> THE EAGLES LOST TODAY BECAUSE

OF OF OBAMA CARE.

>> THAT'S FUNNY STUFF.

I'M AMAZED.

>> John: THAT'S NICE OF YOU TO

SAY THAT TO ME.

>> I WISH I COULD HAVE.

YOU KNOW, EVERYBODY IS GOING

INTO IT.

I THINK ALL THE NETWORKS WILL

HAVE A SPORTS CHANNEL BEFORE

LONG.

AND SO FOX SPORTS STARTS THIS

COMING MONDAY.

>> John: SPORTS IS THE PERFECT

EMOTIONAL...

>> THE ONLY THING THAT GETS

RATINGS ON THE SHOW.

ON THE TV.

>> John: BECAUSE WE LOVE IT.

SPORTS TAKES ALL YOUR CARES

AWAY.

NEWS IS AWFUL.

SO YOU THINK LET'S WATCH THE

SPORTS.

THAT IS ABOUT A GLORIOUS KIND OF

NOTHING.

>> DO YOU HAVE SUCH A SPORT

THING IN LONDON, IN ENGLAND?

>> John: I THINK WE INVENTED

SPORTS.

DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT THE GREEKS

SAID.

THAT WAS NAKED WRESTLING.

THAT WAS DIFFERENT.

WE HAVE FOOTBALL (ONE AUDIENCE

MEMBER YELLS OUT).

>> YOU HAVE SOCCER.

YOU HAVE CRICKET.

>> John: WE DO HAVE CRICKET.

ARE YOU PROUD OF THAT?

WHAT IS CRICKET ALL ABOUT?

>> John: CRICKET IS WHAT ABOUT

WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO ENJOY AS A

HUMAN BEING.

AS A PARTICIPANT AND A

SPECTATOR.

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANY CRICKET?

>> WE JUST COVERD CRICKET ON THE

SHOW.

>> John: YOU DID?

WE HAVE A BRITISH GUY WHO

RUNS THE WHOLE THING MICHAEL

DAVEY.

>> John: I KNOW MICHAEL DAVEY.

I HAVE A PRETTY BLONDE FROM

LONDON RIGHT NEXT TO ME.

>> John: YEAH.

YOU KNOW HER TOO.

John: I LOVE THE WAY YOU SAY

THAT BECAUSE THAT IS LIKE HOW TV

SHOWS USED TO BE PITCHED.

"I GET A PRETTY BLONDE FROM

LONDON.

PUT HER NEXT TO REGIS.

YOU'VE GOT A SHOW."

I DON'T THINK EVEN MICHAEL DAVIS

AND THE PRETTY BLONDE IS GOING

TO BE ABLE TO SELL CRICKET TO

AMERICA.

>> YOU NEVER HEARD OF GORGEY

THOMPSON.

>> John: I DO.

SHE KNOWS YOU AND I'VE BEEN

ASKING HER ABOUT YOU.

>> John: WHOA!

AFTER THE SHOW WE'LL TALK.

John: SHE'S FANTASTIC.

SHE WAS ON THE NEWS FOR YEARS.

>> TEN YEARS.

John: GOOD LUCK SELLING

CRICKET.

>> DO YOU PLAY CRICKET.

John: YOU KNOW WHAT?

EVERYTHING IN BRITAIN IS CLASS

BASED.

SO CRICKET IS FOR POSH PEOPLE.

>> REALLY?

John: THAT'S NOT FOR THE

LIKES OF ME.

I KNOW I SOUND LIKE IT.

>> WHAT SPORT DID YOU PLAY AS A

KID GROWING UP.

>> John: SOCCER.

RELIGIOUSLY.

>> IT'S A BIG DEAL.

IT'S GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER

IN AMERICA.

>> John: I WANT TO BE A SOCCER

PLAYER MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

THIS WAS VERY MUCH PLAN-B.

>> HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS

HAPPEN?

YOU WANTED TO PLAY SOCCER AND

HERE YOU ARE.

>> John: IT WAS A COMPLETE LACK

OF PHYSICAL ABILITY.

AND THAT'S ALL.

>> YOU COULDN'T KICK THE BALL.

John: ARE YOU A FRUSTRATED

ATHLETE AS WELL?

>> I USED TO PLAY IN BRONX PARK.

John: PLAY WHAT?

BASEBALL.

John: CLASSIC.

A LITTLE FOOTBALL.

YEAH, SURE.

>> John: YOU'RE A YANKEE FAN.

YES, I AM.

(A FEW PEOPLE IN THE CROWD

CHEERING).

>> YOU'VE BEEN HERE SEVEN YEARS.

ARE YOU A BASEBALL FAN.

>> John: I AM.

I IMMEDIATELY PICKED THE METS.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT.

BECAUSE YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BE A

YANKEE FAN.

YOU ARE BORN IN THE BRONX.

YOU CAN'T CHOOSE TO BE A YANKEE

FAN.

THAT'S NOT HOW SPORT WORKS.

>> WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO BE A

METS FAN.

>> John: I ASSOCIATE SPORT WITH

MISERY.

I UNDERSTAND THE METS.

>> HE'S FUNNY.

ISN'T HE FUNNY?

>> John: THAT'S OFFICIAL.

I LIKE HIM.

John: THIS WHOLE SUMMER HAS

BEEN LEADING TO YOUR APPROVAL,

REGIS.

THAT'S ALL I WANTED.

>> HOW LONG ARE YOU GOING TO

STAY?

IF STEWART STAYS AWAY MUCH

LONGER HE'S OUT OF A JOB.

>> John: I THINK THAT'S NOT THE

CASE.

CONTRACTUALLY AND PHYSICALLY, I

HAVE ONE MORE DAY.

>> ARE YOU FIDDING ME.

John: AS A TV LEGEND, DO YOU

HAVE ANY TIPS FOR MY FINAL SHOW

TOMORROW.

>> I WISH I WAS ON IT.

John: WOULD YOU HAVE DRESSED

UP LIKE BETTE AND SANG?

A CROWD GOES WILD.

IT PREMIERES ON MONDAY AUGUST 19

AT 5:00 P.M. AND IT WILL ALSO

AIR WEEKDAYS.

THE WONDERFUL REGIS PHILBIN,

Loading...