King Abdullah II of Jordan Pt. 2

  • Aired:  09/25/12
  •  | Views: 31,723

As a direct descendent of the Prophet, King Abdullah II of Jordan feels insulted by YouTube's "Innocence of Muslims" but deplores the widespread violence done in its name. (3:45)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THE PROGRAM.

WE'RE TALKING WITH KING ABDULLAH II OF JORDAN.

LET'S TALK VERY BRIEFLY ABOUT IRAN.

THEY SEEM TO BE IN THAT PART OF THE WORLD THE REAL ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM THAT EVERYBODY EVEN SUPPOSED ALLIES ARE VERY WARY OF

RIGHT NOW.

WOULD YOU SAY-- AND MAYBE YOU CAN'T SAY-- ARE THEY THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN THE WORLD?

AND-- (LAUGHTER).

>> LOOK, OBVIOUSLY THE ISSUE IS ON EVERYBODY'S MIND IS THEIR NUCLEAR PROGRAM.

>> Jon: WELL, THAT'S WHAT I WAS GETTING AT AT.

>> BUT THE WAY I PUT IT TO THOSE THAT WILL LISTEN IS THAT THE REASON WHY THEY HAVE A NUCLEAR PROGRAM IS BECAUSE OF WHAT

ISRAEL IS DOING TO THE PALESTINIANS IN THE FUTURE FOR JERUSALEM.

SO MY ARGUMENT IS THAT THE ISRAELIS AND PALESTINIANS SOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS THAT ALLOWS FOR THE ISRAELIS AND ARABS TO COME

TOGETHER AND HAVE A PEACE TREATY THEN THERE'S NO LONGER A RAY SON DEBT A FOR IRAN TO HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON.

BECAUSE BETWEEN ISRAEL AND IRAN ARE A WHOLE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES THE LAST PEOPLE WHO WANT FOR ISRAEL AND IRAN TO HAVE A

NUCLEAR STRIKE IS GOING TO BE US.

>> Jon: SURE.

>> SO THE EASIER CHEAPER WAY OF SOLVING THE PROBLEMS IS FOR THE ISRAELIS AND ARABS TO SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM WHICH IS IS THE

ISRAELI PALESTINIAN ISSUE.

IT'S VERY SIMPLISTIC, OBVIOUSLY--

>> Jon: NO, I UNDERSTAND.

BUT THE THING YOU WONDER IS HOW MUCH OF THE ISRAELI/PALESTINIAN ISSUE-- I'M SURE IT'S VERY CONCERNING TO THOSE OTHER POWERS

BUT DO THEY USE IT TO SOME EXTENT TO DISTRACT THEIR OWN POPULATIONS FROM THEIR OWN ECONOMIC TROUBLES, THEIR OWN

LACK OF GOVERNANCE?

ARE THEY GOING TO ALSO HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN-- IT'S VERY EASY, THERE WAS A BIG EXPLOSION, THIS TERRIBLE

FILM THAT WENT ON YOUTUBE AND THE ARAB WORLD EXPLODED.

BUT, YOU KNOW, FOR AMERICAN WES SEE THERE'S BURNING AMERICAN FLAGS EVERY FRIDAY IS OBVIOUSLY DEATH TO AMERICA FRIDAY, FREE WINGS.

(LAUGHTER) YOU KNOW, IS THERE-- IS THERE A SENSE THAT THAT LANGUAGE IS ALSO SEEN AS VITRIOLIC AND VOLATILE?

>> WELL, GOING TO THE FIRST PART OF THE QUESTION.

I MEAN IRAN, AS YOU SEE HISTORICALLY FOR ANY REVOLUTION NEEDS TO CONTINUE TO EXPAND BECAUSE THE MINUTE THAT A

REVOLUTION STARTS IT HAS TO LOOK INTERNALLY AND THAT'S WHEN IT IMPLODES AND HAS TO READJUST.

SO THAT'S MY VIEW ON IRAN.

ON THE ISSUE OF THE VIDEO, I MEAN OBVIOUSLY I'M A DIRECT DESCENDENT OF THE PROPHET SO I'M TERRIBLY INSULTED BY THE VIDEO

AND REFUSE TO WATCH IT BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THE WHOLE POINT OF THE VIDEO WAS TO CREATE THIS REACTION THAT UNFORTUNATELY HAPPENED.

AT THE SAME TIME, I'M COMPLETELY AGAINST THAT TYPE OF REACTION.

YOU DO NOT TAKE INNOCENT LIVES INTO YOUR OWN HANDS.

SO UNFORTUNATELY, THE PERSON THAT WAS BEHIND THIS GOT AWAY WITH EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO DO.

AND WE HAVE THIS CHAOS THROUGHOUT THE MIDDLE EAST.

>> Jon: DO YOU FEEL LIKE THAT THEN ALLOWS-- IT'S SO EASY IT SEEMS--

>> I'M SORRY TO INTERRUPT YOU.

AND UNFORTUNATELY THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR PART OF THE WORLD THAT ARE JUST WAITING FOR AN EXCUSE TO LEAP ON TO THIS.

SO THERE ARE DIFFERENT ELEMENTS TRYING TO FEED OFF OF EACH OTHER, EXTREMISTS ON EITHER SIDE THAT SORT OF IN A WAY LIVE OFF

EACH OTHER.

>> Jon: AND IT'S THAT SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP THAT MAKES FINDING STABILITY SO DIFFICULT.

CAN YOU STICK AROUND FOR A LITTLE BIT?

>> SURE.

>> Jon: IT'S FUNNY, WE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS ON THE SHOW.

WE'RE GOING TO SOLVE THE MIDDLE EAST ON THE WEB.

(LAUGHTER) SO WE'LL DO IT ON THE WEB.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) KING ABDULLAH OF JORDAN.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Loading...