Alex Prud'homme

  • Aired:  06/13/11
  •  | Views: 38,882

Between drought, flood and self-poisoning, Alex Prud'homme believes the human race is in for a tough time, water-wise. (5:35)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT AN AUTHOR.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED THE

RIPPLE EFFECT.

THE FATE OF FRESH WATER IN

THE 21st CENTURY.

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE SHOW

ALEX PRUD'HOMME.

NICE TO SEE YOU.

HOW ARE YOU.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

>> MY PLEASURE.

>> Jon: WE HAVE BEEN HAVING

A FINE TIME TONIGHT.

WE SHARED MANY LAUGHS AND

NOW A WOULD LIKE YOU TO TELL

US HOW THE HUMAN RACE WILL

END.

>> IT IS THE RIP REL EFFECT,

THE FATE OF FRESH WATER IN

THE 21st CENTURY.

THE FATE OF FRESH WATER IN

THE 21st CENTURY, SIR,

ACCORDING TO YOUR BOOK, IT

DOES NOT LOOK GOOD.

>> NO.

BETWEEN DROUGHT, FLOOD AND

SELF-POISONING, I THINK THE

HUMAN RACE IS IN FOR A TOUGH

TIME WATERWISE.

>> Jon: .

>> Jon: AND THE BAD NEWS?

>> NO ONE IS PAYING

ATTENTION.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: THIS IS NOT HORDING,

I WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR.

IF YOU ARE IN TROUBLE, YOU

MAY.

BUT FOR NOW, TO BE SAFE.

WHAT IS THE GREATEST THREAT,

IS IT THAT WE ARE POLLUTING

OUR OWN OR THAT WE ARE

OVERPOPULATING WHAT EXISTS?

>> ALL OF THE ABOVE.

NO, HERE'S THE THING.

40 YEARS AFTER THE CLEAN

WATER ACT, THE SAFE DRINKING

WATER ACT, THE FOUNDING OF

THE EPA, THE FACT IS THAT

OUR WATER IS ACTUALLY

GETTING DIRTIER RATHER THAN

CLEANER.

AND REGULATIONS AREN'T

KEEPING UP WITH NEW TYPES OF

POLLUTANTS.

THE EPA IS UNDER ATTACK IN

CONGRESS.

AND POLLUTERS ARE TAKING

ADVANTAGE OF THAT.

>> Jon: BUT COULDN'T YOU SAY

THEN IN THE 50s AND 670s

THEY WOULD SAY WELL, LOOK AT

OUR WATERS, YOU CAN LIGHT

THEM ON FIRE.

THERE ARE CAR SEN GENICS IN

THERE AND WE DID SOMETHING.

WHAT MAKES YOU BELIEVE THAT

WE WON'T-- CLEAN SOME OF

THESE NEW POLLUTANTS OUT AND

WHAT ARE THEY.

AND MAYBE WE DISCOVER THAT

THEY ACTUALLY CURE CANCER?

>> WHERE DO I BEGIN, JON.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: START WITH ALL THE

THINGS I GOT WRONG.

>> WELL, THE REASON FOR THE

ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT OF

THE LATE 60s AND EARLY 70s

WAS BECAUSE THE CUYAHOGA

RIVER IGNITED ON FIRE

BECAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY

POLLUTANTS IN IT AND THE

POISONING AT LOVE CANAL AND

THAT WAS AN IMPETUS FOR THE

ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT.

AND THERE WERE SOME

WONDERFUL REGULATIONS AND

LAWS PUT INTO EFFECT.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT BEING

AMERICANS WE SAID OKAY, DONE

THAT.

FINISHED.

WE'RE OUT OF THERE.

AND THAT WAS 40 YEARS AGO.

AND WE HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT

ACTUALLY CHEMICAL COMPANIES

KEEP PRODUCING NEW CHEMICALS

EVERY YEAR.

PEOPLE FIND SNEAKY WAYS OF

GETTING COW MANURE INTO OUR

WELLS.

>> Jon: THAT SEEMS VERY

SPECIFIC.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: LIKE YOU'RE TALKING

ABOUT CHEMICALS AN ALL OF A

SUDDEN THEY'RE PUTTING COW

POOP IN OUR WELLS.

>> READ THE BOOK, JON.

YES.

AND SO WE HAVE NOT KEPT PACE

WITH THE POLLUTANTS.

AND SO THAT'S ONE OF OUR

PROBLEMS.

>> Jon: JUST IN AMERICA OR A

WORLDWIDE PHENOMENON BECAUSE

IF IT'S NOT A WORLDWIDE

PHENOMENON, CAN'T WE ATTACK

OTHER COUNTRIES WHOSE WATER

IS CLEANER AND DRINK THEIR

MILK SHAKE, AS IT WERE?

>> LIKE DANIEL PLAINVIEW.

>> Jon: THAT'S WHAT I AM

SAYING.

>> IT IS A GLOBAL PROBLEM.

AND THERE ARE LEGACY

POLLUTANTS WHICH ARE THE OLD

POLLUTANTS SITTING IN THE

ENVIRONMENT FOR DECADES SUCH

AS PCPs IN THE HUDSON RIVER

DOWN THE STREET.

AND THEN THERE ARE NEW

POLLUTANTS LIKE SYNTHETIC

ESTROGEN AND NARCOTICS.

AND-- THE 600 NEW CHEMICALS

THAT COME OUT EVERY YEAR.

>> Jon: IF SEEMS LIKE SUCH A

DIFFERENT LIKE OH MY GOD

WE'RE GOING TO BE TRIPPING

AND WE WON'T BE ABLE TO TELL

IF WE ARE TRIPPING AND WE

ALL HAVE BREASTS OR IF IT IS

JUST, YOU KNOW --

>> MAYBE IT'S A GOOD THING.

>> Jon: MAYBE IT'S A GOOD

THING.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: ARE WE GOING TO HAVE

TO LEARN HOW TO TURN

NONPOTABLE SOURCES INTO

POTABLE SOURCES, SEAWATER,

WASTE, HUMAN SEWAGE?

>> YES, INDEED.

WE'VE STARTED THAT.

DESAL INATION IS THE PROCESS

OF TAKING THE SALT OUT OF

SEAWATER.

THE PROBLEM WITH W IT IS

VERY EXPENSIVE TO DO.

IT REQUIRES A LOT OF POWER.

WHICH CREATES MORE

GREENHOUSE GASES.

YOU TAKE THE SALT OUT AND

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE

SALT?

THEY'RE VERY CONCENTRATED.

WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK INTO

THE OCEAN WHICH IS WHAT

PEOPLE LIKE TO DO, IT KILLS

SOME OF THE MARINE LIFE.

SO DESAL IS A TOOL IN THE

TOOLBOX BUT IT'S NOT THE

ANSWER.

RECYCLING SEWAGE IS ACTUALLY

A VERY INTERESTING IDEA.

IT STARTED TO HAPPEN MORE

AND MORE NOW.

THERE IS OBVIOUS REACTION TO

THIS A YUCK FACTOR THAT

PEOPLE CAN'T STAND-- .

>> Jon: REALLY, DRINKING OUR

EVEN URINE.

>> SHOCKING.

>> Jon: YOU GET A YUCK

FACTOR ON THAT ONE.

>> A LITTLE BIT, LITTLE BIT.

BUT IN ORANGE COUNTY THEY

BUILT A GIANT NEW PLANT THAT

IS PRODUCING ULTRA PURE

WATER.

WHICH THEY THEN PUT BACK IN

AND MIX WITH NATURAL

SUPPLIES.

AND EVENTUALLY ENDS UP IN,

OVER 2 MILLION TAPS.

AND SO FAR NO PROBLEMS.

AND THIS IS THE KIND OF

THING WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO

DO.

>> Jon: YOU'RE LOOKING AT ME

LIKE-- I'M NEVER MOVING

THERE.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: WELL, THANK YOU FOR

BEING HERE.

ANYBODY AT HOME, IF ARE YOU

HAVING A PARTY AND YOU WANT

TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD, GET THE

RIPPLE EFFECT.

INVITE THEM OVERMENT THANK

YOU VERY

Loading...