Democalypse 2012 - The Second Debate*: Now Including the President - Benghazi

  • Aired:  10/17/12
  •  | Views: 287,017

While pressing President Obama on the Benghazi attacks, Mitt Romney walks into a nitpicky semantic trap that really hadn't even been set. (4:09)

WHATEVER, WHATEVER.

BUT, OF COURSE, MITT ROMNEY

STILL HAD AN ACE IN THE HOLE.

THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION'S

CONFUSED HANDLING OF THE

CONSULATE ATTACK IN LIBYA THAT

KILLED FOUR AMERICANS.

>> IT WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK,

AND IT TOOK A LONG TIME FOR THAT

TO BE TOLD TO THE AMERICAN

PEOPLE.

WHETHER THAT WAS SOME MISLEADING

OR INSTEAD WHETHER WE JUST

DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, I

THINK YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF,

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW FIVE DAYS

LATER WHEN THE AMBASSADOR TO THE

UNITED NATIONS WENT ON TV TO SAY

THAT THIS WAS A DEMONSTRATION.

HOW COULD WE HAVE NOT KNOWN?

>> Jon: BOOM!

MR. PRESIDENT, YOU JUST WALKED

INTO A MITT STORM.

>> THE DAY AFTER THE ATTACK,

GOVERNOR, I STOOD IN THE ROSE

GARDEN AND I TOLD THE AMERICAN

PEOPLE AND THE WORLD THAT WE

WERE GOING TO FIND OUT EXACTLY

WHAT HAPPENED, THAT THIS WAS AN

ACT OF TERROR AND I ALSO SAID

THAT WE'RE GOING TO HUNT DOWN

THOSE WHO COMMITTED THIS CRIME.

>> Jon: FORCEFUL, REMIND

PEOPLE THAT KILLING TERRORISTS

IS KIND OF YOUR THANG.

[LAUGHTER]

BUT STILL DOES NOT FULLY EXPLAIN

THE COLOSSAL CONFUSION FUELED

[BLEEPED] UPS THAT WERE

BENGHAZI.

AS LONG AS ROMNEY DOESN'T WALK

INTO SOME NITPICKY SEMANTIC TRAP

THAT HADN'T EVEN REALLY BEEN

SEND...

>> I THINK IT'S INTERESTING THE

PRESIDENT SAID ON THE DAY AFTER

THE ATTACK HE WENT IN THE ROSE

GARDEN AND SAID THAT THIS WAS AN

ACT OF TERROR.

>> Jon: OH, BOY.

>> YOU SAID IN THE ROSE GARDEN

AFTER THE ATTACK IT WAS AN ACT

OF TERROR.

IT WAS NOT A CORRESPONDENT

UTAHNIOUS DEMONSTRATION, IS THAT

WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.

>> PLEASE PROCEED, GOVERNOR.

[AUDIENCE REACTS]

[APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: THERE'S YOUR FIRST

CLUE.

WHEN YOU FEEL YOU'RE ABOUT TO

SPRING WHAT YOU, GOVERNOR

ROMNEY, THINK IS THE CHECKMATE

MOMENT OF THE DEBATE, AND YOUR

DEBATE OPPONENT SAYS TO YOU,

"PLEASE, PROCEED," HOLD ON.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

ARE YOU TRYING TO OPEN THAT

DOOR?

ALLOW ME TO OPEN IT WIDER.

THE DOOR THAT YOU APPEAR TO WANT

TO WALK THROUGH.

BUT WHEN YOUR OPPONENT DOES,

THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A

BREATH AND WONDER IF WILEY

COYOTE AND THE ROAD RUNNER, THAT

DOOR YOUR OPPONENT IS POINTING

TO, IS MERELY PAINT ON A ROCK.

>> PLEASE PROCEED, GOVERNOR

>> I WANT TO MAKE SURE WE GET

THAT FOR THE RECORD BECAUSE IT

TOOK THE PRESIDENT 14 DAYS

BEFORE HE CALLED THE ATTACK IN

BENGHAZI AN ACT OF TERROR.

>> GET THE TRANSCRIPT.

>> HE DID, IN FACT, SIR.

SO LET ME CALL IT AN ACT OF

TERROR.

>> CAN YOU SAY THAT A LITTLE

LOUDER, CANDY?

>> HE DID CALL IT AN ACT OF

TERROR.

IT DID, AS WELL...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: CAN YOU SAY IT A

LITTLE LOUDER, CANDY.

CAN YOU SAY IT A LITTLE LOUD

CENTER NOW JUST THE LADIES.

CAN THE LADIES SAY IT?

CAN I GET A WOOT-WOOT.

PLEASE, GOVERNOR ROMNEY,

PROCEED.

IT WAS THAT KIND OF NIGHT FOR

ROMNEY.

THE EVIDENCE OF OBAMA'S VICTORY

AND RESURGENCE WAS EVERYWHERE

POST DEBATE, MSNBC NO LONGER

SEEMED SUICIDAL.

CNN, OF COURSE, LOOKED TO BE

SHOOTING A VIRTUAL DICK IN A BOX

VIDEO, AND...

[APPLAUSE]

OF COURSE, FOX NEWS, WELL...

>> AND THE QUESTIONS, THERE WERE

11 OF THEM.

SIX WERE CLEAR PRO-OBAMA.

>> THEY WERE SOFTBALLS.

>> TOPICS WE HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH

ABOUT.

>> THREE EXTRA MINUTES FOR

OBAMA.

>> MODERATORS IN THESE DEBATES

SHOULD BE PART OF THE FURNITURE.

>> DID SHE ASSIST THE PRESIDENT?

>> MID-SENTENCE TO FACT CHECK

HIM.

>> THE THAT'S THE WORST DEBATE

MODERATION.

>> WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ABOUT.

>> Jon: NO, NO, NO, DON'T HELP

THEM.

JUST LET THEM CRY THEMSELVES TO

SLEEP.

[LAUGHTER]

THE ONLY WAY THEY'LL LEARN.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...