Bob Bradley

  • Aired:  07/25/13
  •  | Views: 5,306

Egypt national soccer coach Bob Bradley describes how the political situation in Egypt has affected his team's quest for its first World Cup appearance in over two decades. (5:13)

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> John: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE FORMER

HEAD COACH OF THE U.S. MEN'S SO,

TRAEM TEAMAND IS NOW THE HEAD

COACH OF THE EGYPTIAN NATIONAL

SOCCER TEAM.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW,

BOB BRADLEY!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> U.S.A.!

U.S.A.!

U.S.A.!

>> John: EGYPT!

EGYPT!

BOB, THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH FOR

BEING HERE.

I'M SO-- I'VE BEEN EXCITED TO

TALK TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE IN

AN AMAZING SITUATION.

YOU'RE NOT JUST AN AMERICAN.

YOU'RE AN AMERICAN FROM JERSEY.

THAT'S TURBO AMERICAN.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> NEW JERSEY!

>> John: AND YOU'RE HEADING UP

THE EGYPTIAN NATIONAL SO, TEAM--

I CANNOT BELIEVE I'M SAYING THAT

WORD-- SOCCER.

EVERY TIME THE BRITISH PERSON

USES THAT WORD, SOMEWHERE IN THE

WORLD ANOTHER BRITISH PERSON

DIES.

( LAUGHTER )

YOU ARE IN AN AMAZING SITUATION.

YOU HAVE A VERY DIVIDED EGYPT.

YOU COULD QUALIFY THEM FOR THE

WORLD CUP FOR THE FIRST TIME

WHICH COULD, IN A WAY THAT

NOTHING ELSE COULD, UNIFY THAT

COUNTRY.

NO PRESSURE.

( LAUGHTER )

>> THE ONLY THING EGYPT AGREES

ON RIGHT NOW IS THAT WE MUST GO

TO THE WORLD CUP GLIEWN AND

THAT'S ON YOU.

THAT'S ALL ON YOU.

IT'S AN AMAZING-- IT WAS AN

AMAZING JOB TO TAKE ON, AND

THERE WAS A KEY TURNING POINT IN

YOUR EXPERIENCE AND THAT WAS THE

PORT SAID MASSACRE, WASN'T IT.

>> RIGHT.

>> John: AND THE FACT YOU USED

THAT WORD IS KEY.

WHAT PEOPLE MIGHT NOT BE AWARE.

THERE WAS A GAME BETWEEN TWO

PREMIERE LEAGUE TEAMS IN EGYPT.

AT HALF TIME THERE WAS A RIOT.

74 FANS WERE KILLED.

MANY BELIEVED IT WAS OH,

STRAIGHT OR AT LEAST ASSISTED OR

ENABLED BY THE POLICE.

I CAME OUT AND YOU CALLED IT A

MASSACRE.

THAT'S A BIG STATEMENT TO MAKE.

YOU MARCHED WITH THE FAMILIES

AFTERWARDS.

YOU HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO THE HEART

OF THE EGYPTIAN PEOPLE.

HOW WAS THE PHONE CAWLS WITH

PRESIDENT MORSI AFTER YOU SAID

THAT?

>> ABOUT WHAT?

>> ABOUT THE "M" WORD.

>> I DIDN'T HEAR FROM PRESIDENT

MORSI.

I THINK HE KNEW I HAD BEEN ON

THE "DAILY SHOW" IN THE PAST.

( LAUGHTER ).

>> John: HOW ARE YOUR PLAYERS

HANDLING THIS SITUATION AT THE

MOMENT?

THEY'RE IN A WEIRD EMOTIONAL

SPOT.

>> THE PLAYERS ARE AMAZING.

THEY'VE BEEN RESILIENT.

THE LEAGUE HAS SHUT DOWN AGAIN

SO THESE GUYS DON'T KNOW WHOSE

HAPPENING WITH THEIR YEARS.

THEY'RE NOT GETTING PAID.

BUT STILL THERE'S THIS DREAM OF

GOING TO THE WORLD CUP THAT

DRIVES THEM, AND THEIR BELIEF

KEEPS US GOING.

>> John: AFTER PORT SAID

COMELY WAS SHUT DOWN, WHICH YOUR

PLAYERS, PLAY IN, AND THE GAMES

WERE IN EMPTY STADIUMS.

>> SO FOR A YEAR AND A DAY, THE

LEAGUE STOPPED AND IT FINALLY

GOT IS GOING AGAIN, AND WITH

RECENT EVENTS IT'S BEEN SHUT

DOWN AGAIN.

>> John: HOW DOES IT FEEL FOR

A TEAM TO PLAY IN AN ARENA OF

86,000 EMPTY SEATS?

THAT'S A WEIRD PSYCHOLOGICAL

JUMP FOR AN ATHLETE.

>> IT'S EERIE.

YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING.

BUT IT'S NOT THE RIGHT THING.

BECAUSE THE GAME NEEDS FANS.

>> John: EXACTLY.

SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE

PLAYERS?

IT'S AN EMOTIONAL SITUATION THAT

THEY'RE IN.

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THEM?

>> THE FIRST TIME, I CAME UP

WITH SOMETHING GOOD.

I SAID, "WE NEED TO LOOK INTO

THOSE STANDS AND SEE ALL 85

MILLION EGYPTIANS BECAUSE IF

THEY HAD THE CHANCE THEY'D BE

HERE."

BUT YOU CAN ONLY GIVE THAT

SPEECH ONCE.

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

>> John: THAT'S RIGHT.

YOU DID YOUR AL PACINO SPEECH

ONCE AND THEN WENT ( BLEEP ).

GET OUT THEREOF, I'LL SLAP YOU

ON THE ARSE.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO OVERSTATE THE

FRNS AND THE RELEVANCE OF

FOOTBALL OR SO, EVERYDAY LIVES

HERE.

THINKING HOW IN AMERICA IT'S

STILL SEEN AS A MINOR SPORT.

THIS IS BEYOND SPORT ELSEWHERE.

IN EGYPT IT'S HOURS AND HOURS OF

TELEVISION PROGRAMMING ABOUT THE

GAME EVERY NIGHT.

>> THEY LOVE THEIR FOOTBALL.

YOU KNOW.

AND THE TWO BIG TEAMS ARE ONCE

AGAIN DIVIDED.

MOST PEOPLE CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE

TWO TEAMS.

BUT THE ONLY THING EVERYBODY

STILL STANDS BEHIND IS THE

NATIONAL TEAM.

>> John: RIGHT.

AND AT A TIME WHEN AMERICA IS

VIEWED IN EGYPT WITH SUCH

SUSPICION BY BOTH SIDES, REALLY,

IT'S ALL ON YOU.

( LAUGHTER )

THE HOPE OF EGYPT AND THE

OPINION OF AMERICA IS ALL ON

YOUR HEAD.

>> EGYPTIANS DON'T REALLY HAVE A

PROBLEM WITH AMERICANS.

IT'S MORE POLICY AND GOVERNMENT

AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF.

>> John: YOU CAN STICK AROUND

AND WE'LL TALK MORE ABOUT THIS

ON THE WEB BECAUSE IT'S AN

AMAZING STORY.

>> I'D LOVE TO.

>> John: THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

BOB BRADLEY, LADIES AND

GENTLEMEN, BOB BRA

Loading...