Depressingly Familiar Post-Tragedy Analysis - A Homicide Pact

  • Aired:  09/18/13
  •  | Views: 142,929

When it comes to guns the Constitution is ironclad, but with terrorism it's more a list of suggestions. (4:14)

[LAUGHTER]BUT ALL OF THIS RAISES A LARGER

QUESTION: WHY IS IT THAT GUNSARE THE ONE DANGER WE SEEM

UTTERLY UNABLE TO DO ANYTHINGABOUT IN ANY WAY?

>> THIS IS ONE OF THE PROVISIONSOF THE BILL OF RIGHTS THAT THE

FOUNDING FRAMERS OF OURCONSTITUTION FELT SO

PASSIONATELY ABOUT THAT THEYMADE SURE WAS INCLUDED IN OUR

CONSTITUTION AS PART OF THEFIRST TEN AMENDMENTS TO THE

CONSTITUTION.

>> Jon: CONSTITUTION.

DAMMIT.

WELL, I GUESS WE JUST HAVE TOACCEPT WHATEVER THE CONSEQUENCES

ARE OF AN ARMED-TO-THE-TEETHNATION PER OUR FOUNDING FATHERS,

LIKE TERRORISM, AND EVEN THOUGHTHE GOVERNMENT WOULD LIKE TO

HAVE A ROLE IN PREVENTINGTERRORISM, BUT THEIR HANDS ARE

TIED BY THE CONSTITUTION, LIKEWE FOUND OUT THE NSA WAS

COLLECTING OUR PHONE RECORDS,AND THAT SEEMED TO US TO BE A

VIOLATION OF THE CONSTITUTION.

WHAT DO YOU SAY, JON CORNYN?

>> THIS IS NOT SOMEWHERE WHERETHE PRESIDENT OR THE

INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY ISRUNNING LIKE A ROGUE ELEPHANT,

TRAMPLING OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES.

I THINK WE OUGHT TO LOWER OURLANGUAGE AND OUR RHETORIC A

LITTLE BIT AND BE CONSCIOUS OFWHAT'S AT STAKE, AND WHAT'S AT

STAKE IS THE SAFETY AND SECURITYOF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

>> Jon: SO WITH GUNS THECONSTITUTION IS IRONCLAD, BUT

WITH TERRORISM IT'S A LIST OFSUGGESTIONS.

[LAUGHTER]HOW ABOUT WHILE PROTECTING

PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, WEBEEF UP ENFORCEMENT.

>> YOUR RIGHT THE BEAR ARMSSHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON.

>> Jon: WHAT ABOUT YOUR RIGHTTO WORSHIP FREELY WITHOUT

GOVERNMENT SURVEILLANCE?

>> SHOULD THE F.B.I. NOW BEALLOWED TO GO INTO MOSQUES

AND WIRETAP AND SURVEIL?

>> NO.

>> WHY NOT?

>> BECAUSE...

>> I THINK THIS IS A GREAT CASEFOR OPENING UP THAT LINE OF

QUESTIONING.

JON: SO IF YOU BELIEVE MOHAMEDIS GOD'S MESSENGER ON EARTH, AND

YOU WANT TO GO TO A MOSQUE,THAT'S PROBABLE CAUSE, BUT IF

YOU BELIEVE A MICROWAVE IS GOD'SMESSENGER ON EARTH AND YOU WANT

TO BUY A GUN... WHEN IT COMES TOGUNS, THE CONSTITUTION SAYS WE

DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER ANYQUESTIONS.

>> WHY SHOULD MY CONSTITUTIONALRIGHT BE LIMITED BECAUSE YOU

DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I WANTEIGHT GUN?

>> Jon: MAYBE I'M AN OCTOPUS.

[APPLAUSE]MAYBE I'M AN OCTOPUS AND I'M

BEING ATTACKED BY A SQUID.

YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE.

DON'T JUDGE ME.

[LAUGHTER]AND WHY SHOULD MY CONSTITUTIONAL

RIGHTS BE LIMITED BECAUSE YOUDON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I DON'T

WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO HAVE MYPHONE NUMBER?

>> THE WAY YOU PROTECT THEHOMELAND IS YOU TRY THE FIND OUT

WHAT THE ENEMY IS UP TO.

I'M A VERIZON CUSTOMER.

IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME ONE BIT FORTHE NATIONAL SECURITY

ADMINISTRATION TO HAVE MY PHONENUMBER.

>> Jon: BECAUSE THAT'SSTOPPING TERRORISM.

YOU KNOW, IF YOU DEFINE MASS

SHOOTINGS AS FOUR OR MORE PEOPLEGETTING SHOT, WE'VE HAD NEARLY

250 SO FAR THIS YEAR.

WE'VE ONLY HAD 260 DAYS.

OUR MASS SHOOTING AVERAGE IS96%.

OUR MASS SHOOTING SCORESSHOULDN'T BE THAT MUCH HIGHER

THAN OUR PATH AND SCIENCESCORES.

THERE HAVE BEEN MORE MASSSHOOTING DAYS THAN JEWISH

HOLIDAYS AND THERE ARE A[BLEEPED] LOAD OF JEWISH

HOLIDAYS.

I'M JUST TELLING YOU.

[APPLAUSE]I THINK... MY GUESS IS IT'S

PROBABLY A JEWISH HOLIDAY ABOUTHOW MANY MASS SHOOTINGS.

I DON'T KNOW.

WHEN IT COMES TO TERRORISM, ATERRIBLE CRIME THAT DOESN'T KILL

A WHOLE LOT OF AMERICANSEVERY YEAR, WE'RE WILLING TO

BARGAIN AWAY THE ENTIRE BILL OFRIGHTS.

WHY IS THAT?

>> WE ARE IN A WAR.

FIGHT THE DAMN WAR.

WE'RE NOT DEALING WITHTRADITIONAL SOLDIERS WHO WEAR

THE UNIFORMS OF A COUNTRY.

WE'RE DEALING WITH ENEMYCOMBATANTS.

THE CONSTITUTION IS NOT ASUICIDE PACT.

>> Jon: WELL, I'M PRETTY SUREIT'S NOT A HOMICIDE PACT EITHER.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...