An Empathy Problem

  • Aired:  05/14/13
  •  | Views: 37,001

When former Utah state legislator Stephen Sandstrom questions his conservative beliefs on immigration, Jessica Williams steps in. (4:46)

>> Jon: HEY, WELCOME BACK.

NOW WHEN POLITICIANS MEET

THEIR CON SFIT WENT THESE

RUN ITS RISK OF ENCOUNTERING

CRITICISM.

EVEN ABUSE OR SOMETHING FAR

WORSE, JESSICA WILLIAMS HAS

MORE.

>> FORMER UTAH STATE

REPRESENTATIVE STEVEN

SANDSTROM IS A LIFELONG

REPUBLICAN.

WHO UNTIL RECENTLY HAD A

DELICATELY NUANCED POSITION

ON IMMIGRATION.

>> I WANT EVERY ILLEGAL

ALIEN OUT OF THE STATE OF

UTAH.

LOCK THEM UP, ROUND THEM UP,

SHIP THEM OUT.

>> WHY THE [BLEEP] DO I

ALWAYS GET THESE CRAZY ASS

WHITE DUDES.

BUT THIS UTAH REPUBLICAN HAD

A TRAGIC STORY TO TELL.

AT A TOWN HALL MEETING HIS

BELIEF SYSTEM CAME UNDER

ATTACK BY SOMETHING HE COULD

NEVER HAVE IMAGINED.

>> IT WAS AFTER ONE OF THOSE

EVENTSES THAT THIS YOUNG

GIRL SARAH CAME AND TALKED

TO ME.

>> THOUGH SHE HAD AN ANGLO

SOUNDING NAME, SHE WAS A

TICKING LATINA TIME BOMB.

>> SHE SAID I WAS BROUGHT TO

THIS COUNTRY WHEN I WAS TWO

BY MY PARENTS.

THEY CAME HERE ILLEGALLY.

SHE SAYS DON'T KNOW WHAT TO

DO.

I CAN'T GET A JOB.

BECAUSE I'M UNDOCUMENTED.

SHE HAS NO FUTURE.

>> AND THEN IT HAPPENED.

>> SHE MADE ME FEEL, I FELT

COMPASSION.

>> REALLY?

>> YES.

>> THAT SOUNDS LIKE A

NIGHTMARE.

>> I REALIZED YOU SHOULDN'T

LOOK AT PEOPLE.

>> BECAUSE --

>> BECAUSE I PUT THAT FACE

ON THERE THAT I HAD NEVER

PUT ON IT BEFORE.

>> RIGHT.

YOU HAD BEEN TALKING TO

PEOPLE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AND

NEVER FELT ANYTHING SO YOU

PROBABLY FIGURED YOU WERE

IMMUNE.

>> WELL, --

>> ONCE YOU START TO FEEL

SOMETHING LIKE COMPASSION,

AS A POLITICIAN, THE WHOLE

THING GOES OFF THE RAILS.

>> IT DOES.

>> YES, SANDSTROM HAD BEEN

INFECTIONED WITH PORTMANNITIS

NAMED FOR OHIO SENATOR ROB

PORTMAN WHO REVERSED HIS

POSITION ON GAY MARRIAGE

AFTER FINDING OUT HIS SON

WAS GAY.

I HAD HOPED SANDSTROM'S CASE

WAS NOT TOO SEVERE.

>> WE SHOULD HAVE

COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION

REFORM.

>> WOW.

YOU WERE REALLY FAR GONE.

>> THIS IS ABOUT HUMAN

BEINGS.

THIS IS ABOUT PEOPLE'S

LIVES.

>> HOW ARE YOU FEELING?

DO YOU HAVE A FEVERNESS WE

HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY

HAVE A PATHWAY TO

CITIZENSHIP.

A GLIMMER OF HOPE.

>> YOUR EARS ARE VERY WARM.

YOU SEEM A LITTLE WARM UP

HERE.

OF COURSE SANDSTROM

SUPPORTERS IN UTAH WERE

DEVASTATING.

BUT THE BEAUTIFUL THING

ABOUT COMPASSION IS THAT

WHEN GIVEN, IT IS RETURNED

TENFOLD.

>> I WAS CALLED A TRAITOR, A

LATINO LOVER.

ONE PERSON SAID I WAS

EXKREMENT THAT SHOULD BE

FLUSHED DOWN A TOILET.

I DON'T WANT TO USE THE REAL

WORD.

>> DOOD DO O, FESSEST, GAH

GAH, DO HEAD.

DO DO BUTT.

>> I WAS COW TOWNING, I WAS

CALLED A PANDERER.

>> WHAT ABOUT [BLEEP]

BALL -- [BLEEP].

>> I THAT KIND OF REFERS TO

THE TIME I WAS CALLED

EXKREMENT TO BE FLUSHED DOWN

THE TOILET.

>> I NEEDED TO KNOW

SANDSTROM'S PROGNOSIS.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW BAD

THINGS ARE.

WHAT ARE ARE YOUR THOUGHTS

ON GAY MARRIAGE.

>> I BELIEVE IN TRADITIONAL

MARRIAGE.

>> CLIMATE CHANGE.

>> I CHIEF CLIMATE CHANGE

HAPPENS BUT IS NOT USE

CAUSED BY HUMANS.

>> GUN RIGHTS.

>> AMENDMENT RIGHT WZ A LOT

OF YOUR BELIEFS ARE STILL IN

FACT.

MOSTLY ARE YOU STILL NOT SUS

SEPTEMBERABLE TO REALITY.

>> I THINK MY REALITY IS

WHAT THE --

>> HE WASN'T A LOST CAUSE.

BUT TO PREVENT HIS ILLNESS

FROM BECOMING FULL BLOWN

EMPATHY WE NEEDED TO LIMIT

HIS HUMAN INTERACTION.

STEVEN DO NOT TALK TO HIM.

HE WAS SHOWING SIGNS OF

RECOVERY.

>> MI NAME IS STEVEN.

I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANY

DETAILS OF YOUR LIFE.

>> PERFECT.

CRISIS AVOIDED BUT THERE WAS

NO QUESTION THAT THE WORLD

OUTSIDE OF HIS HOME WAS FULL

OF CONTAMINANTS.

IN THE FORM OF PEOPLE WHO HE

MIGHT COME IN CONTACT WITH.

TO SAVE SANDSTROM WE FEEDED

TO USE EXTREME MEASURES.

AND I COULDN'T WAIT TO SHOW

HIM WHAT WE'D DONE.

HERE WE ARE.

>> OH, OKAY.

>> I KNOW IT'S NOT THE WHOLE

PROPERTY BUT IT'S KIND OF

WHAT WE COULD AFFORD.

I SPENT MOST OF THE BUDGET

ON THESE SIGNS, OBVIOUSLY.

SO CAN I COME IN?

>> SURE G IN.

>> NO, NO, OF COURSE I CAN'T

COME IN.

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING

TODAY?

YOU THINK THAT LATINA CHANGE

YOUR POINT OF VIEW.

SPEND AN HOUR WITH ME I WILL

TURN YOUR WHITE ASS INTO A

BLACK PANTHER, OKAY, GUYS,

FORGET IT, WE'RE OUT OF

HERE.

TAKE EVERYTHING DOWN.

GOOD LUCK.

IN THE END, SOME LAWMAKERS

ARE JUST TOO OPEN MINDED TO

BE SAVED.

>> Jon: JE

Loading...