David Agus

  • Aired:  02/02/12
  •  | Views: 39,317

Oncologist David Agus considers America's approach to illness and offers simple advice for reducing people's risk of cancer and heart disease. (6:11)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK, MY

GUEST TONIGHT A PROFESSOR OF

MEDICINE AND ENGINEERING AT

THE UNIVERSITIES OF SOUTHERN

CALIFORNIA, HIS NEW BOOK IS

CALLED THE END OFIMNESS.

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE

PROGRAM DR. DAVID AGUS.

(APPLAUSE)

HELLO, SIR.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING

HERE.

THE BOOK IS CALLED THE END

OF ILLNESS.

DR. AGUS, BEFORE WE TALK, IS

THIS CONVERSATION THAT WE

ARE HAVING RIGHT NOW, DOES

THAT COUNT AS ME GOING OUT

OF NETWORK?

IS THAT.

>> YOU HAVE TO PAY YOUR

DEDUCTIBLE UP FRONT BUT

WE'RE GOING TO COLLECT IT.

>> I APPRECIATE THAT.

>> GREAT.

THIS IS A PHENOMENAL, I AM A

JEW, I'M JEWISH.

SO I THINK A LOT ABOUT

ILLNESS.

BUT TYPICALLY NOT THE END OF

IT.

I'M USUALLY THINKING PORE

ABOUT THE BEGINNINGS OF IT.

A FASCINATING WAY TO LOOK AT

IT.

SUMMARIZE FOR ME SORT OF

YOUR THESIS STATEMENT ABOUT

THE WAY WE HAVE VIEWED

ILLNESS INCORRECTLY IN THIS

COUNTRY.

>> WE LACK AT IT DOWN DEEP,

ONE LITTLE FACTOR.

SO TO ME YOU HAVE CANCER.

YOU HAVE HEART DISEASE.

WELL, TO ME THOSE DISEASES

ARE VERBS.

YOU ARE CAN SERG, YOU ARE

HEART DISEASING.

AND I WANT TO TAKE YOU FROM

A CANCER STATE THE OTHER

DIRECTION.

AND I WANT TO PREVENT

ILLNESS.

I'M A GUY WHO SEES PEOPLE

DYING OF CANCER EVERY DAY.

I DON'T WANT-- RZ ARE YOU

ONCOLOGIST.

>> I'M A CANCER DOCTOR.

I WANT TO PREVENT DISEASE.

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

WE HAVE THE MEANS TO DO IT.

WE JUST HAVE GOT TO ENACT

IT.

>> Jon: WE HAVE BECOME A

COUNTRY THAT TREATS DISEASE

BUT DOES NOT PREVENT IT.

YOU MAKE THE CASE THAT

INFLAMMATION IS REALLY THE

CULPRIT IN MUCH OF THIS.

>> YEAH, IT'S THE ROOT CAUSE

OF THINGS LIKE HEART DISEASE,

CANCER.

WE CAN REDUCE INFLAMMATION.

YOU ARE TAKING ASPIRIN AN

DAY REDUCES INFLAMMATION,

LOWERS YOUR RATE OF CANCER

DOUBLE-DIGIT PERCENTAGE AS

WELL AS A DRAMATIC AFFECT ON

HEART DISEASE.

WHY AREN'T WE MANDATING IT?

>> WE LIKE CANCER?

BUT IT'S VERY INTERESTING,

YOU TALK ABOUT HOW DISCOVERING

MICROBES, BACTERIAL

ENVIRONMENTS ACTUALLY TURNED

OUT TO IN SOME WAYS SET

MEDICINE BACK BECAUSE WE NO

LONGER THERE IS A VERY

INTERESTING THING IN HERE

WRITTEN IN THE 1920s BY A

PHYSICIAN WHO IS TALKING

ABOUT HOW PASTURE AND THOSE

GUYS KIND OF RUINED THE WAY

WE LOOK AT HEALTH.

>> PRETTY COOL, YOU REALLY

READ THE BOOK.

I LOVE IT.

>> IT'S ABOUT ILLNESS.

I'VE BEEN READING THIS FOR

49 YEARS.

>> SO 1920s WE MADE A DRUG

TO TREAT INFECTIOUS DISEASE

AND ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU HAD

A DIAGNOSIS, YOU HAD A CURE.

WE THOUGHT ALL DISEASES

WOULD BE LIKE THAT.

WELL CANCER ISN'T FROM

WITHOUT, IT'S FROM WITHIN.

THAT BACTERIA DOESN'T CARE

IF ARE YOU TALL, SHORT,

ROUND, FAT, GREEN, WHITE.

IT IS JUST AN ANT BIOTIC.

CANCER, HEART DISEASE,

ALZHEIMER, THEY'RE VERY

DIFFERENT.

IT IS THE INTERACTION.

YOU HAVE TO TREAT THE WHOLE

SYSTEM.

IT IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY

OF THINKING ABOUT HEALTH.

AS WE CALL IT,.

>> Jon: AND SO MANY MORE OF

US DIE FROM THESE COMPLEX

INFLAMMATORY DISEASES THAN

THESE PATHOGENS.

>> EVOLUTION SELECTS OUT FOR

WHO HAS GOOD KIDS.

IT DOESN'T SELECT OUT FOR

WHO-- WITH YOU NEVER MET MY

GRANDCHILDREN.

>> DARWIN WASN'T ALWAYS SO

SMART.

>> Jon: I'M KIDDING.

I'M SURE GOITERS HAVE SOME

EVOLUTIONARY REASON FOR

EXISTING.

>> YOU TALK ABOUT THINGS

LIKE BEING SEDENTARY, EVEN

AFTER DOING EXERCISE IN THE

MORNING, BEING SEDENTARY IS

AS BAD FOR YOU AS SMOKING.

NOW I QUIT SMOKE BEING TEN

YEARS AGO BUT I STILL-- BUT

HEAR'S, LET ME GET TO WHAT I

AM GETTING TO, BUT I STILL

SIT ON MY ASS.

SO LET ME ASK YOU THIS, IF

RI WERE TO GET RID OF MY

DESK CAN I GO BACK TO

SMOKING?

>> IT'S NOT A BINARY, YOU

CAN'T DO ONE OR THE OTHER.

>> ALL RIGHT, BUT THE DATA

ARE JUST AMAZING.

1953 THEY LOOK AT THE

BRITISH TRANSIT AUTHORITY

WORKERS, OVER 20,000.

HALF WERE THE BUS DRIVERS

THAT SAT THERE 90%, AND HALF

THE TICKET TAKERS THAT

WALKED AND TOOK THE TICKETS.

SAME WEIGHT AMONG THEM BUT

HALF THE DEATH RATE OF HEART

DISEASE IN THE TICKET

TAKERS.

WE GOT TO MOVE DURING THE

DAY.

MAKES A DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE

IN WHAT WE DO.

>> SO IS THIS, WHY DOESN'T

THIS CATCH ON?

IT DOESN'T SEEM

COUNTERINTUITIVE OTHER THAN

THE VITAMIN THING.

THERE IS A VITAMIN THING IN

HERE.

YOU SAY SAY VITAMINS

ACTUALLY COULD CAUSE US MORE

HARM.

>> THE GOVERNMENT SPENDS 200

MILLION, OUR U.S. GOVERNMENT

TO LOOK AT VIT MEN E TO

PREVENT PROSTATE CANCER.

17% HIGHER INCIDENCE WHEN

YOU TAKE IT FOR THREE YEARS.

YOU STOP IT, THAT LASTS FOR

THREE YEARS AFTER STOPPING

IT.

THE MOST COMMON NONSKIN

CANCER IN MEN, 17% HIGHER,

WHAT AM I MISSING.

WHY ARE WE TAKING THESE.

50 LARGE STUDIES OVER A

THOUSAND PEOPLE, NEVER A

BENEFIT IN HEART DISEASE AND

CANCER.

I DON'T GET IT.

>> Jon: WHY IS, WHY DO WE

HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME

ALLOWING SCIENCE TO OVERCOME

OUR IRRATIONALITY.

BECAUSE IF YOU-- LIKE I'M

VERY SUSCEPTIBLE TO THE

WHOLE LIKE HERE'S SOME FISH

OIL PILLS AND CHEW THIS UP

AND YOU WILL BE FINE.

AND THAT'S SO MUCH BETTER TO

ME THAN THAT THING YOU JUST

SAID ABOUT WALKING.

(LAUGHTER)

>> BECAUSE IT'S HOPE.

IT'S SIMPLE AND IT'S HOPE.

WE WANT TO DO THINGS VERY

QUICKLY, VERY EASILY IN OUR

COUNTRY.

A PILL IS A GREAT WAY TO DO

IT FORGET ABOUT FOOD, I WILL

JUST TAKE THAT PILL.

IT IS EMPOWERING TO JUST

SPEND $20 IN VITAMINS.

WE HAVE TO CHANINGT CULTURE.

REAL FOOD.

YOU EAT YOUR LUNCH TODAY AT

NOON.

FOR TWO HOURS YOUR STRESS

HORMONES GO UP, YOU DON'T

THINK AS WELL, YOU DON'T

FUNCTION AS WELL, OVER TIME

YOU GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE YOURED

ABOUTEE SHUTS DOWN

METABOLISM TO SAVE ENERGY.

REGULAR SCHEDULE MAKES A BIG

DIFFERENCE.

>> Jon: I'M NEVER HAVING

LUNCH AGAIN.

>> THAT'S THE RIGHT MESSAGE

TO TAKE FROM THIS, ISN'T IT?

>> THE BOOK IS PHENOMENAL.

AND FOR ANYBODY WHO IS IN

ANY WAY ON WEB MD TRYING TO

FIGURE OUT WHAT THE FU

[BLEEP] THIS LUMP S, THE END

OF ILLNESS ON THE BOOKSHELF

Loading...