Tom Cruise

  • Aired:  06/05/14
  •  | Views: 56,141

Tom Cruise shares his video gaming habits and discusses trying to save the world from aliens in "Edge of Tomorrow." (6:43)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Jon: HELLO!

MY GUEST TONIGHT!

GOT A NEW FILM OUT CALLED "EDGEOF TOMORROW."

♪♪>> STOP!

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!

STOP!

WAIT A SECOND!

WAIT A SECOND!

WAIT A SECOND!

BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN THINKING, IMEAN, THIS THING IS IN MY BLOOD,

SO MAYBE THERE'S SOME WAY ICAN TRANSFER IT TO YOU.

>> I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

>> HAVE YOU, YOU KNOW --TRIED ALL -- ALL THE OPTIONS?

>> OH, YOU MEAN SEX?

YEAH, TRIED IT.

>> HOW MANY TIMES?

>> ALL RIGHT...

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THEPROGRAM, TOM CRUISE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Jon: PLEASE. YOU.

>> TOGETHER? TOGETHER?

>> TOGETHER? TOGETHER?

>> THANK YOU.>> GOOD LUCK WITH THIS THING!

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, IDON'T GO OUT MUCH, BUT I WENT

OUT TO SEE THIS.

I WENT OUT TO SEE THIS FILM

I WENT OUT OF MY HOUSE, BECAUSEI BELIEVE IN YOU.

AND YOU DELIVER.

THIS IS A VERY, VERY GOOD MOVIE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: I VERY MUCH ENJOYEDIT.

IT'S A, A, WERE YOU EVER A VIDEOGAMER?

DID YOU EVER PLAY VIDEO GAMES?

>> YOU KNOW, PLAYED A LITTLEBIT, BUT YOU GET TOO BUSY.

YOU'RE A GAMER?

>> Jon: NO!

>> YOU'RE A GAMER A LITTLE BIT?

>> Jon: NO, I WAS DATINGGIRLS, MOSTLY.

>> JUST A LITTLE BIT?

JUST A FEW NIGHTS?

>> Jon: I MIGHT HAVE WOKEN MYWIFE UP OCCASIONALLY AT 5:00 IN

THE MORNING AND SAID, I SAVEDTHE WORLD!

(LAUGHTER)YEAH, AND IT'S INTERESTING

BECAUSE THEY TRIED TO TRANSFERTHAT AESTHETIC TO FILMS VERY

OFTEN. I KNOW THIS ISN'T BASEDON A VIDEO GAME, BUT IT'S THE

FIRST MOVIE I'VE SEEN THATCAPTURES THE IDEA OF WHAT IT

FEELS LIKE TO PLAY IT, THE IDEAOF --

TELL THEM THE CONCEIT OF IT AND,AND --

>> IT IS A SUBJECTIVE REALITY OFTHIS CHARACTER IS YOU SEE HE

DOESN'T WANT THIS POWER.

HE IS ACTUALLY AP.R. GUY. AND THE WOMAN

PLAYED BY EMILY BLUNT, GREATACTRESS, SHE'S REALLY THE HERO.

MY CHARACTER'S VERY MUCH, HESTUMBLES UPON GETTING THIS ALIEN

SUPERPOWER THAT'S BASICALLYGOING TO SAVE THE WORLD, AND

IT --

>> Jon: CAN YOU SAY WHAT IT ISOR ARE YOU NOT SUPPOSED --

>> SURE, YOU CAN SAY IT. YEAHHELP ME, HELP ME.

>> Jon: HE REBOOTS EVERY TIME HEDIES, IT'S LIKE A GROUNDHOG DAY

SCENARIO, EVERY TIME HE DIESIT'S LIKE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME.

SO YOU DO IT UNTIL YOU SCREW ITUP, AND THEN DIE AND YOU

GET ANOTHER CHARACTER. ANDYOU REBOOT AT THE SAME PLACE.

>> YES. WELL, HE'S THE SAME GUY.

>> Jon: BUT HE LEARNS THEPATTERN OF HOW TO MOVE FORWARD.

>> YES, YES, AND THAT'S HOW THEALIENS HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BEAT

MANKIND.

>> Jon: AND NOW YOU HAVE THEPOWER.

>> YES. WHICH HE DOESN'T WANT.

>> Jon: WELL, HE'S KIND OF ACOWARD.

>> YES. YEAH, HE JUST FEELS LIKEHE'S JUST NOT THE GUY FOR IT.

>> Jon: YES. HE'S NOT.

>> SHE THE ONE, SHE'S THE ONETHAT SHOULD DO IT.

>> Jon: YES! CORRECT.

>> SO THAT SCENE WAS ME TRYINGTO SAY LOOK, YOU SHOULD HAVE

THIS, YOU'RE BETTER THAN I AM.

AND SHE'S TRAINING HIM.

>> Jon: SHE IS BETTER THAN HEIS!

>> YES!

(LAUGHTER)>> Jon: AND YOU'RE TRAINED AND

DEVELOPED THE RELATIONSHIP.

THAT WAS THE ONLY THING ITHOUGHT FOR A GAMER THAT WAS A

LITTLE OFF IS THE IDEA THAT, OH,MY GOD, THERE'S A GIRL HERE.

(LAUGHTER)SO THAT WAS WEIRD.

THAT WAS WEIRD.BUT HOW DO YOU -- YOU KNOW, SO

THIS IS SOMETHING, SO WHERE DOESTHIS COME FROM?

IT'S NOT -- OH, YOU HAVE NO IDEAWHAT IT'S LIKE.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

YOU GREW UP.

YOU GREW UP AS TOM CRUISE.

I GREW UP ALSO IN MY UNDERWEARIN MY HOUSE DANCING TO MUSIC

ALONE, BUT NOBODY GAVE A(BLEEP).

ALL RIGHT.

BUT HOW DOES THIS -- SO WHEREDOES THIS COME FROM?

BECAUSE THIS IS NOT BASED ON AGAME, NO?

>> IT'S BASED ON A JAPANESENOVEL.

AND BASICALLY JUST THATCONCEIT, THAT CONCEPT WAS THERE.

>> RIGHT.

AND DOUG LIMAN CAME TO ME THREEYEARS AGO WITH THIS IDEA.

>> RIGHT. GREAT DIRECTOR.>> GREAT DIRECTOR. GREAT GUY.

AND, SO WE JUST WORKED ON THESCRIPT TOGETHER AND ON THE MOVIE

AND GOT EMILY BLUNT AND CHRISMCQUARRIE CAME ON AND WROTE.

>> Jon: THE THING THAT REALLYSTRUCK ME TOO, IS IT'S REALLY

QUITE FUNNY, I SAW IT WITH OTHERPEOPLE AND THERE WAS REALLY

A GREAT DEAL OF LAUGHTER AND NOTAT THE TIMES WHEN YOU DON'T WANT

IT.

A LOT OF TIMES YOU WILL BE IN ASCREENING AND EVERYBODY WILL

LAUGH THAT LAUGH LIKE, OH, ICAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID THAT...

BUT EVERYBODY WAS TRULY ENGAGEDAND INTO IT AND THAT'S NOT EASY

TO PULL OFF IN THAT GENRE.

>> NO, IT WAS A TRICKY,TRICKY STRUCTURE AND ALSO IT'S

JUST YEAH, WE WANTED TOMAKE IT REALLY ENTERTAINING AND

FUN FOR AN AUDIENCE. AND FUNNY.AND FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO PLAY,

I LOVE CHARACTER COMEDY AND THISIS LIKE WILEY COYOTE.

>> YES.

I KEPT TELLING THE STUNT GUYS,YOU HAVE TO THROW ME AGAINST THE

WALL HARDER.>> THEY DID.

>>THEY DID AND I FINALLY WENT,THAT'S HARD ENOUGH.

THAT'S GOOD.

>> Jon: IT WAS NICE THEY TOOKYOUR NOTE BECAUSE THERE WERE A

LOT OF MOMENTS -- AND AGAIN THESURPRISING THING AS THE END,

WHEN THE ALIENS WIN AND THEEARTH IS OVERRUN AND --

>> WE WANTED A SURPRISINGENDING, SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

>> Jon: IT WAS BERGMANESQUE.

IT JUST SAID "FIN."

AND THEN EVERYTHING WAS GONE.

IT WAS REALLY GOOD AND QUITEDIFFERENT.

(LAUGHTER)IT'S REALLY GREAT AND COMING OUT

THIS WEEKEND, YES?

DO YOU GET NERVOUS BEFORE THEBIG WEEKEND? BEFORE THE BIG

PUSH? OR THAT'S OVER NOW,YOU'VE DONE IT ENOUGH AND --

>> YOU'VE DONE IT. YOU KNOW WHATI MEAN?

YOU'VE SEEN THE FILM SO MANYTIMES AND IT'S JUST THAT POINT

WHERE YOU'RE EXCITED FORAUDIENCES TO FINALLY EXPERIENCEIT.

>> THAT'S NICE. >> THAT'S A WONDERFUL, BECAUSE

I MAKE IT FOR THEM, SO THAT'SAN EXCITING TIME.

IT'S, LIKE, LET'S JUST DO IT ANDGET IT OUT.

>> Jon: YOU DON'T NECESSARILYGO INTO A ROOM WITH A BUCKET OF

HAAGEN-DAZ AND CURL UP.

>> SOMETIMES WE GO AND CHECK OUTTHEATERS AND STUFF LIKE THAT.

>> Jon: YOU'RE REALLY NOT AGAMER.

(LAUGHTER)>> Jon: "EDGE OF TOMORROW," IN

THE THEATERS FRIDAY. TOMCRUISE!

Loading...