Jane Goodall

  • Aired:  04/16/12
  •  | Views: 40,446

Primatologist Jane Goodall details the documentary "Chimpanzee," in which the male leader of a chimpanzee family adopts a young orphan chimp named Oscar. (6:57)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A FOUNDER OF THE JANE GOODALL INSTITUTE.

SHE'S ALSO THE SPOKESPERSON FOR DISNEY NATURE'S NEW FILM CHIMPANZEE.

♪ ♪ FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END, HE WAS MORE THAN A FRIEND TO ME ♪♪

>> Jon: I'M NOT MADE OF WOOD.

WELCOME BACK TO THE SHOW, JANE GOODALL.

( APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: HOW ARE YOU?

>> GREAT.

I'M GOING TO SEE IF YOU REMEMBER A PROPER CHIMP GREETING.

>> Jon: WAS THAT GOOD?

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ) THANK YOU.

BY THE WAY NOT AS EFFECTIVE ON THE STREETS OF NEW YORK, I FOUND.

SO NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

THIS MOVIE, I DON'T KNOW HOW... HOW DID THE CAMERAS HAPPEN TO BE IN THE JUNGLE AT

THE MOMENT THIS YOUNG CHIMP...

WHAT IS THE YOUNG CHIMP'S NAME?

>> OSCAR.

>> Jon: OSCAR.

>> UM-HUM.

>> Jon: IS TAKEN IN BY FREDDY?

>> IT WAS LUCK.

IT'S THE MOST AMAZING PIECE OF LUCK.

THEY WERE GOING TO FILM THE DEVELOPMENT OF A YOUNG CHIMP IN HIS FAMILY AND HIS GROUP.

WHEN THE MOTHER WAS KILLED BY A LEOPARD....

>> Jon: IT WAS LUCK.

>> IT WAS LUCK THAT THEY WERE THERE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED BECAUSE HE SHOULD HAVE DIED.

>> Jon: WHY SHOULD HE HAVE DIED?

IF IN HIS TRIBE IF THE MOTHER LEAVES, DOES THE TRIBE NOT NORMALLY TAKE OVER FOR THE ORPHANED CHIMP?

>> USUALLY IT'S AN OLDER BROTHER OR SISTER.

IN ALL THE YEARS WE'VE HAD JUST ONE OR TWO EXAMPLES OF A NON-RELATIVE ADOPTING.

NORMALLY IT DOESN'T HAPPEN BECAUSE THE MOTHERS ARE LOOKING AFTER THE BABIES AND

THE MALES ARE DOING MALE THINGS.

>> Jon: SO FREDDY WHO IS...

FREDDY IS THE LEADER OF THIS CHIMP FAMILY.

>> HE IS.

>> Jon: HE IS THE ONE WHO TAKES OVER OSCAR'S EDUCATION.

>> YES.

HONESTLY IT'S SO MOVING.

IT BRINGS TEARS TO YOUR EYES TO SEE THIS GREAT BIG MALE.

IN ORDER TO CARE FOR LITTLE OSCAR, THE RELATIONSHIP DEVELOPS OVER TIME.

HE IS REALLY NEGLECTING HIS DUTIES OF LEADING HIS GUYS TO PATROL THE BOUNDARY OF THE TERRITORY.

THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE THERE ARE NEIGHBORS WHO COVERED SOME OF THE NUT GROVES

IN THAT TERRITORY.

>> Jon: WHEN YOU SAY "NEIGHBORS," CHIMPS?

>> CHIMPS.

>> Jon: I DON'T KNOW WHERE FREDDY LIVES.

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS ASTORIA.

YOU KNOW, WHEN FREDDY NEGLECTS THIS, WHAT HAPPENS TO HIS FAMILY?

ARE THEY OVERRUN BY THIS OTHER GROUP?

>> WELL, THERE'S AN ATTEMPT.

THIS IS THE DRAMA OF THIS FOOTAGE IS UNBELIEVABLE.

AND THE ENEMY, YOU KNOW, THE ENEMY IS MOVING IN TO TRY AND TAKE OVER THESE NUT GROVES.

THE ONLY ONES GROWING THERE BY THE WATER.

BECAUSE FREDDY HAS BEEN SO PRE-OCCUPIED WITH LITTLE OSCAR,

THEY DON'T HEAR THE SOUND OF PATROLLING WHICH IS DRUMMING ON THE TREES SO THE ENEMY IS

COMING CLOSER AND CLOSER.

THEY ATTACK.

IT'S THE MOST INCREDIBLE,

DRAMATIC FOOTAGE THAT I'VE SEEN.

>> Jon: BUT NOBODY DIES.

LIKE CAN YOU JUST TELL US...

FREDDY AND OSCAR MAKE IT.

>> FREDDY AND OSCAR MAKE IT.

>> Jon: OH, THANK GOD.

( APPLAUSE ) HOW LONG HAD DISNEY BEEN FILMING WHEN OSCAR'S MOTHER WENT MISSING?

>> THEY HAD BEEN FILMING FOR ABOUT A YEAR.

IT'S A BRITISH FILM TEAM.

THEY DO THINGS LIKE LIVING PLANET AND FROZEN PLANETS AND ALL THESE AMAZING, YOU KNOW,

WILDLIFE MOVIES.

THEY WANTED TO MAKE A CHIMP FILM.

WE TALKED ABOUT IT ABOUT FIVE YEARS AGO.

IT'S AMAZING.

IT'S EXPENSIVE.

IT'S HARD, HARD, HARD WORK.

I HOPE EVERYBODY WHO SEES IT UNDERSTANDS THAT THIS DOES.

>> Jon: I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE.

THEY'RE LIVING IN REALLY THE JUNGLE.

>> THICK, THICK RAIN FOREST.

THEY HAVE TO CARRY THESE INCREDIBLY HEAVY CAMERAS AND TRIPODS AND THE SOUND RECORDING EQUIPMENT.

THERE'S VINES.

>> Jon: DID THEY THINK, WE'RE GOING TO PULL THE PROJECT"?

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR FREDDY TO REALIZE, ", NO, NO,

THE PICTURE MUST GO ON.

>> IT WAS LIKE THAT.

THEY HAD TO STAY A BIT.

I CAN'T REMEMBER WHY.

THEY NOTICED THAT, FIRST OF ALL, IT WAS INTERESTING FOOTAGE.

THEY WERE TRYING TO REACH OUT TO THE FEMALES.

THEY HAD THEIR OWN KIDS.

>> Jon: MOTHERHOOD HARD WORK.

THERE'S A LOT OF DIGNITY IN THAT.

>> YES, I KNOW.

>> Jon: WHEN YOU WATCH THE BEHAVIORS, CHIMPS ARE 98% GENETICALLY LIKE PEOPLE,

RIGHT?

ALTHOUGH IF YOU SAW ME WITH MY SHIRT OFF, YOU'D THINK 99.9.

LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES HERE.

>> WE WON'T HAVE A DEMONSTRATION.

>> Jon: NO, WE WILL NOT.

WHEN YOU SEE THEM ALSO EXHIBIT THE MORE NEGATIVE HUMAN EMOTION, IS THAT MOVING AS WELL?

IS THAT ALSO....

>> YOU KNOW WHAT WAS AWFUL?

I WATCHED NOT THIS GROUP BUT MY OWN JUMPS FOR YEARS.

I THOUGHT, GOSH, THEY'RE REALLY LIKE PEOPLE.

BUT SOMEHOW NICER.

THEN I SAW THE FIRST OF THESE INTERGROUP TERRITORIAL ATTACKS WHERE A VICTIM MAY BE LEFT TO DIE.

FIRST IT WAS SHOCKING.

BUT THE AWFUL THING WAS I REALIZED THEY WERE FAR MORE LIKE US THAN I THOUGHT BEFORE.

THEY HAVE A DARK SIDE JUST AS WE DO.

THEN THEY HAVE THIS GENTLE,

LOVING, NURTURING SIDE JUST AS WE DO.

FORTUNATELY CHIMPANZEE POLITICS ARE A BIT NICER.

THAN OURS.

>> Jon: DID NOT THINK YOU WERE GOING IN THAT DIRECTION.

WELL, I'M LOOKING SO FORWARD TO IT.

CAN I TAKE THE KIDS, 6 AND 7?

THAT'S OKAY.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

PLEASE GO THE FIRST WEEK.

>> Jon: WHY THE FIRST WEEK?

>> BECAUSE DURING THE FIRST WEEK THE BOX OFFICE TAKINGS GO TO THE INSTITUTE.

>> Jon: I'M GOING THE FIRST WEEK AND I'M GOING TWICE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: IT'S IN THE THEATERS ON FRIDAY.

GO SEE IT THE FIRST WEEK.

JANE GOODALL.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Loading...