Laura Linney

  • Aired:  08/11/10
  •  | Views: 66,482

Laura Linney makes Jon's life seem somewhat honorable by seeing humor as a way to cope with the truth. (5:44)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST

TONIGHT IS A TERRIFIC ACTRESS,

STARRED IN MANY GREAT FILMS,

STARRING IN SHOW TIME'S NEW

ORIGINAL SERIES "THE BIG C."

>> COME GET YOUR TESTS.

>> YOU CAN'T BE FAT AND MEAN,

ANDREA.

>> WHAT?

>> YOU HEARD ME.

YOU'RE GOING TO DISH IT OUT,

YOU'VE GOT TO BE ABLE TO LICK IT

UP.

FAT PEOPLE ARE JOLLY FOR A

REASON.

FAT REPELS PEOPLE, BUT JOY

ATTRACTS THEM.

NOW, I KNOW EVERYONE'S LAUGHING

AT YOUR CRUEL JOKES, BUT

NOBODY'S INVITING YOU TO THE

PROM.

SO YOU CAN EITHER BE FAT AND

JOLLY OR A SKINNY BITCH.

IT'S UP TO YOU.

SIT DOWN.

>> Jon: PLEASE WELCOME LAURA

LINNEY!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> WHAT, THANK YOU.

>> Jon: THAT'S SOME SASSY

STUFF IN THERE.

>> IT'S FUN.

>> Jon: THIS IS... SO I GET

PEOPLE COME ON AND THEY HERE IN

A PROJECT AND I GET TO PITCH

WHAT'S THE PROJECT.

OH, A GREAT NEW COMEDY ON

SHOWTIME.

SHE HAS CANCER AND HER BROTHER

IS HOMELESS.

AND I WAS LIKE, OKAY, SOUNDS

FUNNY.

I CAN GO WITH THAT.

HOW DO THEY... HOW DO YOU

DELICATELY WEAVE THAT INTO A

PROGRAM LIKE THIS?

>> (LAUGHS)

WELL, WHEN IT FIRST CAME TO ME

IT WAS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT

INTERESTED ME THE MOST BECAUSE I

THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE

IMPOSSIBLE.

YOU KNOW?

IT MIGHT NOT BE... THERE'S SORT

OF A RISKY THING TO DO AND I

DIDN'T KNOW IF HE COULD F WE

COULD PULL IT OFF TO DO A SHOW

WITH A COMIC CONTEXT ABOUT A

WOMAN WHO HAS STAGE FOUR

TERMINAL MELANOMA.

AND THE MORE I...

>> Jon: YOU HAD ME AT

"MELANOMA."

(LAUGHTER).

>> I HAD YOU AT MELANOMA.

(LAUGHS)

AND THEN THE MORE I SORT OF...

THE MORE I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND

THOUGHT ABOUT TIME AND THE USE

OF TIME AND WHEN TIME IS RUNNING

OUT AND YOU KNOW THAT IT'S

RUNNING OUT AND WITH FEAR AND

ANXIETY AND IF YOU'RE

THREATENED, FOR ME, ANYWAY, I

IMMEDIATELY GO TO HUMOR.

>> Jon: RIGHT.

>> YOU KNOW, IT'S A WAY TO

SURVIVE.

IT'S A WAY TO MAKE SENSE.

IT'S VERY MUCH SORT OF THE WAY

YOUR SHOW FUNCTIONS, ACTUALLY.

>> Jon: I WAS ABOUT TO SAY,

YOU'VE JUST MADE MY LIFE SEEM

SOMEWHAT HONORABLE.

(LAUGHTER)

THAT NEVER REALLY OCCURRED TO

ME.

>> BUT THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT

THE VOICE OF COMEDY THAT

CLARIFIES THINGS.

YOU KNOW?

IT'S A LASER-LIKE SENSE OF

TRUTH-- IF IT'S TRUE, IF YOU

TOUCH TRUTH-- IT WILL INEVITABLY

BE SO EITHER REFRESHING OR

ASTOUNDING THAT PEOPLE WILL JUST

START TO LAUGH.

>> Jon: I MAKE A LOT OF POOP

JOKES.

(LAUGHTER).

>> YES.

WILL'S A LOT OF TRUTH IN SCAT.

>> Jon: HA THAT MAY BE THE

MOST ELOQUENT DESCRIPTION OF THE

USE OF COMEDY AS AN EXPRESSION

OF CATHARSIS OR FEELING THAT I

HAVE EVER HEARD AND I'M SUDDENLY

PROUD TO DO... BECAUSE I'M USED

TO... COMEDIANS, WE DO IT... YOU

KNOW, STRIPPERS AND THEN US.

(LAUGHTER)

BUT IT'S A NIGHTCLUB BUSINESS SO

TO HEAR IT PUT THAT WAY IT MAKES

ME FEEL LIKE, YES, THAT'S WHY I

DIDN'T GO TO MED SCHOOL!

>> YOU ARE CULTURALLY NECESSARY.

>> Jon: VERY MUCH LIKE

WHITMAN!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> YOU ARE.

ABSOLUTELY.

>> Jon: GO ON.

(LAUGHTER)

NO, BUT IT'S INTERESTING BECAUSE

ALSO, YOU KNOW, E I FIND THAT IN

TERMS OF SUBJECT MATTER, PEOPLE

FORGET THAT IN THE DEPTHS OF

DESPAIR, COMEDY NEVER... PEOPLE

ALWAYS SAY "WHERE DO YOU DRAW

THE LINE?"

YOU SAY WELL... EVEN I'M SURE IN

THE HOLOCAUST PEOPLE IN THE

CAMPS WERE MAKING JOKES TO EACH

OTHER.

>> I'M SURE.

>> Jon: PEOPLE JOKE WHEN

THEY'RE UNCOMFORTABLE, WHEN

THEY'RE DIRE, IT'S A WAY OF

COPING.

>> IT'S A WAY OF DEALING WITH

TRUTH.

IT CAN BE SO OVERWHELMING.

IT'S LIKE THERE'S THAT FANTASTIC

GRAVESTONE THAT'S SOMEWHERE THAT

SAYS...

>> Jon: YOU DON'T HEAR THAT A

LOT EITHER.

BUT IT SAYS "I TOLD YOU I WAS

SICK."

THAT WAS THE GUY'S GRAVESTONE "I

TOLD YOU I WAS SICK."

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: ALONG THOSE LINES WHEN

MY GRANDFATHER, BEFORE HE PASSED

AWAY, THERE'S A CEMETERY AND WE

HAD HIS PLOT LAID OUT NEXT TO MY

GRANDMOTHER, APPARENTLY THEY

ENJOYED BEING TOGETHER.

AND HE WAS VERY CLEAR THAT SHE

SHOULD BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE

BECAUSE JUST TO THE LEFT A

DOCTOR WAS BURIED.

AND HE WANTED VERY MUCH TO BE

BURIED NEXT TO A DOCTOR JUST IN

CASE HE NEEDED ANYTHING.

(LAUGHTER).

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

THERE YOU GO.

THAT.

>> Jon: THAT'S WHAT HE WOULD

SAY ALL THE TIME.

"PUT HER ON THE RIGHT, I'LL GO

ON THE LEFT BY THE DOCTOR."

(LAUGHTER)

HAVE YOU MET PEOPLE NOW WHO HAVE

CANCER WHO SAY BOY, THIS IS SUCH

A REFRESHING RELIEF FOR ME?

SUCH A A CATHARSIS.

THAT'S GOT TO BE GRATIFYING.

>> IT'S VERY, VERY GRATIFYING

AND SOMETHING WE WERE ALL

HOPEFUL WOULD HAPPEN.

IT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE IF IT

WAS THE OPPOSITE.

>> Jon: YOU CAN'T CONTROL...

IF SOME WAYS YOU CAN'T CONTROL

THAT BECAUSE ALL YOU CAN DO IS

PUT IT THROUGHOUT WITH A LITTLE

INTEGRITY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

>> YOU DO THE BEST YOU CAN AND

WE HAVE A FANTASTIC GROUP OF

PEOPLE AND WE'VE HAD A REALLY

GOOD TIME WITH IT AND SO FAR

PEOPLE SEEM TO BE RESPONDING

POSITIVELY TO IT AND LAUGHING.

SO THAT'S GOOD.

>> Jon: WELL, IT'S "THE BIG

C," ON THE SAME NETWORK AS "THE

L WORD.

>> IT'S ACTUALLY "THE BIG C"

NOW.

IT WAS ORIGINALLY "THE C WORD"

AND BECAUSE OF THE "L" PROBLEM

WE WENT TO "THE BIG C".

>> Jon: YEAH.

OKAY.

THAT MAKES SENSE.

VERY, VERY NICE TO MEET YOU.

>> LOVELY TO MEET YOU AS WELL.

>> Jon: "THE BIG C" PREMIERS

ON SHOW TIME AUGUST 16 AT

Loading...