Citizen Shame

  • Aired:  04/26/12
  •  | Views: 72,043

Parliament opens another inquiry into whether Rupert Murdoch used his media entities to improperly influence the British government. (7:02)

( THEME SONG PLAYING )

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THE ""DAILY SHOW"." MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

OUR GUEST TONIGHT AUTHOR ROBERT DRAPER HAS WRITTEN A BOOK ON THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

CALLED-- THIS IS THE REAL TITLE-- "DO NOT ASK WHAT GOOD WE DO."

( LAUGHTER ) LIKE THE NO EXIT OF HOUSE OF

REPRESENTATIVES OF BOOKS.

BUT TONIGHT, WE BEGIN OVERSEAS WHERE AUSTRALIAN RUPERT MURDOCH,

KNOWN AS YAHOO, FINDS HIMSELF STILL IN A SPOT OF TROUBLE IN GREAT BRITAIN, SIMPLY BECAUSE

SEVERAL OF HIS NEWSPAPERS HACKED THE PHONES OF CELEBRITYES,

POLITICIANS, A 13-YEAR-OLD MURDER VICTIM AND THE RELATIVES OF SOME KILLED IN ACTION BRITISH

SOLDIERS AND ALLEGEDLY BRIBED SCOTLAND YARD DETECTIVES TO HELP WITH THE COVER-UP.

I COULD GO ON BUT I KNOW MANY OF YOU ARE PROBABLY EATING IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

( LAUGHTER ) BUT, OF COURSE, MR. MURDOCH HAS

ALREADY ANSWERED FOR THOSE CRIMES AGAINST DECENCY LAST JULY.

>> YOU SAID THAT ULTIMATELY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WHOLE FIASCO.

>> NO.

>> Jon: OKAY!

WELL, THAT'S A WRAP, PEOPLE!

CLEAR THE CHAMBER THE HOUSE OF COMMON.

I SAID GOOD DAY.

COME ON, MURDOCH!

IF YOU'RE NOT RESPONSIBLE, WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

>> YOU HAVE RNOT RESPONSIBLE?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

>> THE PEOPLE THAT I TRUSTED TO RUN IT AND THEN MAYBE THE PEOPLE THEY TRUSTED.

>> Jon: MY GOD!

( LAUGHTER ) THIS SCANDAL GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.

( LAUGHTER ) ( APPLAUSE )

THE BUCK STOPS-- ( LAUGHTER ) BUT NOW PARLIAMENT HAS OPENED A

SECOND INQUIRY.

THIS TIME, INTO WHETHER RUPERT MURDOCH USED HIS MEDIA ENTITIES TO IMPROPERLY INFLUENCE THE

BRITISH GOVERNMENT, AND ONCE AGAIN, MURDOCH HAS HIS UNACCOUNTABILITY MOMENT.

>> I WANT TO PUT IT TO BED ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT THAT IS A COMPLETE MYTH.

>> WHAT'S THE MYTH, MR. MURDOCH?

>> THAT I USED THE INFLUENCE,

THE SUPPOSED POLITICAL POWER, TO GET FALL RIVERRABLE TREATMENT.

( LAUGHTER ).

>> Jon: WHEN YOU SAY YOU NEVER USED INFLUENCE TO GET FAVORABLE TREATMENT IS A MYTH,

DO YOU MEAN THAT AS IN IT'S A FANCIFUL WAY OF EXPLAINING THINGS THAT ARE HARD TO EXPLAIN,

OR THAT IT'S A STORY ABOUT HOW GROTESQUELY POWERFUL BEINGS ASSUME VARIOUS FORMS TO

( BLEEP ) MORTALS?

( LAUGHTER ) ( APPLAUSE )

BY THE WAY THAT-- THE STORY IS APPARENTLY HOW PEACHES ENDED UP WITH FUZ.

COME ON, RUPERT MURDOCH!

DON'T ( BLEEP ) ON MY CHEST AND TELL ME IT'S VEGEMITE.

ACCORDING TO VARIOUS REPORTS,

MURDOCH HAD BEEN A FREQUENT VISITOR AND VESTEE OF BRITISH PRIME MINISTER WISHING TO THANK

HIM FOR HIS SUPPORT FOR A LONG,

LONG TIME.

IN 1981, TWO YEARS BOMARGARET THATCHER'S FIRST TERM, MURDOCH WAS ALLOWED TO CIRCUMVENT

MONOPOLY RULES TO BUY PAPERS.

AND IT WAS WAIVED AGAIN FOR HIS SATELLITE TV PURCHASE.

IN 1998, MURDOCH ASKED PRIME MINISTER BLAIR TO SQUASH A EUROPEAN INVESTIGATION THAT

WOULD FURTHER DELAY ANOTHER OF HIS BROADCAST PROJECTS IN 2003.

BLAIR ALLEGEDLY ADDED A LAST-MINUTE CLUES A BILL THAT ALLOWED NEWSPAPER OWNERS TO ALSO

PURCHASE TELEVISION STATIONS.

THE CLAUSE IS REFERRED TO, FOR REASONS THAT ARE APPARENTLY UNCLEAR TO THE CHAIRMAN OF NEWS

CORP, AS "THE MURDOCH CLAUSE." ( LAUGHTER )

OF COURSE I DO NOTICE THAT THERE'S NO DAVID CAMERON INVOLVEMENT.

PERHAPS THE CURRENT PRIME MINISTER ALONE WAS ABLE TO WITHSTAND THE AUSTRALIAN'S

INNOCENT CHARMS.

>> MR. CAMERON FLYING OUT TO SANTORINI ON YOUR YACHT.

YOU HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF AT ALL OF THAT, DO YOU?

>> IT'S COMING BACK IT ME VAGUELY.

ACTUALLY, I CHECKED WITH MY DAUGHTER BECAUSE HE WAS BEING FLOWN, I BELIEVE, BY MY

SON-IN-LAW'S PLANE, ON HIS WAY TO HOLIDAY IN TURKEY.

AND HE DID STOP IN SANTORINI,

AND SHE SAYS THAT I IN FACT MET HIM ON HER BOAT.

BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.

>> Jon: THE SIZE OF THESE BOATS, MATE, THEY'RE ENORMOUS.

I CAN'T BE EXPECTED TO KNOW THE WHEREABOUTS OF EVERY PRIME MINISTER IN MY FLEET.

( LAUGHTER ) BY THE WAY, NOT FOR NOTHING, NOT

ONLY DID CAMERON MEET WITH MURDOCH.

CAMERON HAD TO GO TO HIM, AND HIS ONLY WAY IN AND OUT OF THE

MEETING-- MURDOCH'S SON-IN-LAW'S PLANE.

IN THE STATES WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE CONGRESS PEOPLE T-SHIRTS AND HATS, AND OUR COUNTRY IS

CORRUPTED ( BLEEP ).

BUT ALL RIGHT, FINE.

LET'S SAY RUPERT MURDOCH ENJOYED A HEALTHY SERIES OF FRIENDSHIPS

WITH PRIME MINISTERS OF BRITAIN FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS WHILE ALSO COINCIDENTALLY PASSIVELY

ENJOYING THE FRUITS OF THE RELAXING OF MEDIA OWNERSHIP RULES OVERSEEN BY HIS SHIPMATES.

RIGHT PLACE, RIGHT TIME.

WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE THAT IF YOU WENT AGAINST MURDOCH,

SOMEONE FROM ONE OF HIS PROPERTIES WOULD COMPLETELY ( BLEEP ) YOU WITH HIS ZEUS SWAN?

YES.

YOU, CHRIS BRYANT, LABOR MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT.

>> LABOR MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT CHRIS BRYANT, HE GOT REBECCA

BROOKS, THEN EDITOR OF "THE SUN" TO MAKE AN ASTONISHING ADMISSION.

DO EITHER OF YOUR NEWSPAPERS EVER USE PRIVATE DETECTIVEES,

EVER BUG OR PAY THE POLICE?

>> WE HAVE PAID THE POLICE FOR INFORMATION IN THE PAST.

>> SIX MONTHS LATER, THOSE TWO NEWSPAPERS DID ME OVER GOOD AND PROPER.

THEY HACKED MY PHONE AND THEY RAN SOME PRETTY HIDEOUS STORIES ABOUT MY SEXUALITY.

( LAUGHTER )

>> Jon: I'M COMPLETELY ( BLEEP )!

SO RUPERT MURDOCH'S DEFENSE APPEARS TO BE I'M NO EVIL GENIUS RANDOLPH HURST TYPE FIGURE.

I'M LIKE THE AUSTRALIAN MR. MAGOO.

I'M LIKE A KANGA-GOO, IF YOU WILL.

COMPLETELY HANDS-OFF GUY.

JUST ASK MY STAFF AT THAT PAPER I BOUGHT A WHILE AGO, OH, WHAT'S THE NAME OF THAT?

THE "WALL STREET JOURNAL."

>> YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY MEETING WITH A LOT OF DOW JONES FOLKS,

JOURNAL FOLKES, BARRONS FOLKES,

EDITORS, THE PRINTING PRESS IN EAST BRUNSWICK, NEW JERSEY.

YOU KNEW THE DETAILS-- THE MINUTE DETAILS OF THE OPERATION.

>> Jon: I GOTTA GIVE IT UP FOR RUPERT.

HE'S A GUY WITH TOTAL INFLUENCE,

AND HE'S ALL

Loading...