Mindy Kaling

  • Aired:  10/31/11
  •  | Views: 40,481

Mindy Kaling discusses her book "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" and her parents' fondness for Sanjay Gupta. (6:12)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST

TONIGHT IS A WRITER AND ACTRESS

ON NBC'S "THE OFFICE."

HER NEW BOOK IS CALLED "IS

EVERYONE HANGING OUT WITHOUT ME

AND OTHER CONCERNS" PLEASE

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM, MINDY

KALING.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

NICE TO SEE YOU, MINDY KALING,

LET ME SAY, WE'RE ALL HUGE FANS

OF YOURS.

>> THANK YOU.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THEY DIDN'T TELL YOU YOU WERE

GOING TO TAKE A PICTURE.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> GOOD, HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

>> Jon: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

NOW DO YOU PARTAKE IN HALLOWEEN

FESTIVITIES?

>> WELL... BECAUSE I KNEW I WAS

GOING TO COME ON HALLOWEEN, OUT

OF A THEATRICAL PERSONALITY SO I

WAS GOING TO COME IN COSTUME.

AND THEN MY FRIENDS WERE LIKE

"THEN YOU'D BE IN COSTUME AND

IT'S BE FUNNY FOR A SECOND AND

YOU'D BE SITTING IN YOUR BAT MAN

COSTUME.

"BUT I WANTED TO COME AS YOU.

I THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A

FUNNY COSTUME.

>> Jon: YOU'RE SAYING I'M BAT

MAN!

>> (LAUGHS)

I WAS GOING TO WEAR A SUIT AND

EVERYTHING BUT I THOUGHT IF YOU

WERE JUST FLIPPING THROUGH THE

CHANNELS YOU'D BE LIKE "OH,

SANJAY GUPTA IS ON "THE DAILY

SHOW"!

I LOVE HIM!"

THEN I WOULD BE LIKE "MY BOOK!"

AND YOU'D BE LIKE "SAN JA GUPTA

WON'T STOP.

WHAT'S HE TALKING ABOUT?

HE WENT TO HAITI."

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: LET ME TELL YOU THIS:

DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

I KNOW WHERE PEOPLE ARE GOING

SOMETIMES AND I FOLLOW IT.

DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

>> I DON'T SEE IT COMING.

IT'S JUST INSPIRATION.

>>.

>> Jon: EXACTLY.

IT JUST HAPPENS.

GUPTA WOULD BE LUCKY FOR ANYONE

TO HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK LIKE

THIS.

>> DOES ANYONE CALL YOU BY HIS

LAST NAME EXCEPT FOR YOU?

YOU'RE THAT FAMILIAR WITH HIM?

>> I LIKE TO INTIMIDATE HIM.

"WHAT'S UP, GUPTA?"

(LAUGHTER)

BECAUSE THEN I FEEL LIKE NOW...

AND HE PROBABLY CALLS ME...

SOMETHING.

HE WAS ON THIS PROGRAM NOT...

WOULDN'T YOU SAY WHEN YOU WATCH

HIM ON TELEVISION HE'S LIKE 6'.

>> YES.

>> Jon: NO.

(LAUGHTER)

>> HE ISN'T?

>> NO.

YOU WANT KNOW TELL YOU?

>> HOW TALL?

>> Jon: NINE INCHES TALL.

I HAVE HIM RIGHT HERE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> IT'S BECAUSE HE'S SO

KNOWLEDGEABLE.

>> Jon: HE'S LIKE A BRAIN

SURGEON.

>> HE IS.

>> Jon: DOING, LIKE, FIVE-MINUTE

SPOTS ON NEW BAGS OR SOMETHING.

HE SHOULD BE OPERATING ON

BRAINS.

>> I THINK MAYBE BECAUSE I'M

INDIAN, BUT INDIAN PARENTS... MY

PARENTS LOVE SANJAY GUPTA AND

THEY ALWAYS SAY "AND HE'S

HANDSOME."

AS THOUGH THAT WAS SOMETHING HE

WORKED ON OR SOMETHING.

THEY LOVE THAT.

>> Jon: ARE THEY TRYING TO EGG

YOU ON?

ARE THEY TRYING TO SAY TO YOU

"HE'S VERY BRIGHT AND HANDSOME.

MINDY..."

(LAUGHTER)

LIKE, IS THAT A... AN ATTEMPT TO

MATCH MAKE IN SOME RESPECTS?

>> I THINK THAT IN... OUR WORLDS

ARE SO DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF

WHAT I DO BUT, YES, I THINK IN

SOME... YEARS AGO I THINK THEY

WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT WAS A

WONDERFUL THING.

WHO WOULDN'T?

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BE INDIAN

TO WANT YOUR KID TO MARRY SANJAY

GUPTA, RIGHT?

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: HE OPERATES ON BRAINS!

AND OVERCAME BEING NINE INCHES

TALL.

(LAUGHTER)

TO CLIMB UP AND OPERATE ON

BRAINS.

>> SPEAKING OF MY PARENTS, THEY

WERE VERY EXCITED ABOUT ME

COMING ON THE SHOW.

>> Jon: IS THAT TRUE?

>> YES, MY PARENTS LOVE FOX NEWS

OKAY?

HUGE FOX NEWS FANS.

(AUDIENCE REACTS)

>> Jon: HER PARENTS ARE LOVELY

PEOPLE!

A LOT OF PEOPLE WATCH THAT.

>> THEY'RE GREAT PEOPLE.

THEIR FRAME OF REFERENCE ABOUT

WHO YOU ARE IS VERY DIFFERENT.

BECAUSE FOR THEM YOU'RE THE

TROUBLE MAKER WHO APPEARS ON

THEIR FAVORITE PROGRAMS.

(LAUGHTER)

I'M GOING ON JON STEWART AND

THEY GO "OH, THE ONE WHO GOES ON

BILL O RILELY.

" SO THEY THINK YOU'RE SMART

BUT... YOU'VE OUTCLASSED THEIR

FAVORITE PEOPLE ON THEIR OWN

SHOWS.

>> Jon: DO THEY EVER SAY LIKE

AFTER THAT "AND HANDSOME, TOO?"

(LAUGHTER)

DO THEY GO WITH THAT OR NO?

THEY DON'T... THEY DON'T IN

ANY... IT'S OKAY.

IT'S ALL RIGHT.

>> I'M SURE THEY DID.

BUT IF I SAID IT NOW YOU WOULD

THINK I WAS MAKING IT UP.

>> Jon: NO, YOU CAN SAY IT NOW.

>> MY MOTHER HAS SAID THAT.

>> Jon: ARE THEY OKAY WITH... MY

PARENTS TOOK A LONG TIME FOR

THEM... I DIDN'T HAVE TO MARRY A

JEWISH GIRL.

AT A CERTAIN POINT ONCE I HIT 35

THEY WERE LIKE "JUST MARRY."

WHERE'S YOUR... ARE THEY AT THAT

WITH YOU?

DO THEY CARE?

DOES IT MATTER?

>> MY PARENTS ARE... MY MOM IS

PRETTY EMANCIPATED.

SHE'S MODERN.

SHE DOESN'T EVEN THINK I NEED TO

GET MARRIED.

>> Jon: WHICH YOU DON'T.

>> I HEARD AN EXCITED SASSY WHAT

>> Jon: VAGINA!

>> THAT ILL LIS TED THE BIGGEST

ROUND OF APPLAUSE EVER.

>> Jon: IT'S AN INTERESTING

CROWD.

>> BUT YOU KNOW THEY WOULD LOVE

A GIANT WEDDING.

BUT IT'S NOT... IT'S NOT A HUGE

BIG DEAL.

AS LONG AS THE PERSON'S NOT LIKE

CLINICALLY DEPRESSED AND.

>> Jon: THAT'S THEIR ONE STEP

ADMINISTRATION?

>> OR A GAMBLER.

FOR SOME REASON MY MOM HAS SAID

"STAY AWAY FROM A GAMBLER."

I DON'T KNOW ANY GAMBLERS.

I KNOW THEY'RE DRAMATIZED ON

TELEVISION AND FILM BUT SHE HAS

A FEELING I'M GOING TO RUN INTO

GAMBLERS.

>> Jon: YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT A

PRANK YOU PULL ON HER.

HAVE A GUY SHOW UP WITH A HAT

AND A GOLD RING AND BE LIKE

WHERE DID YOU HEAT HIM?

VEGAS.

YOU HAVE TO GET THE BOOK, IT'S

HILARIOUS.

YOUR MUSINGS, YOUR LIFE.

EXCELLENT BOOK.

REALLY ENJOYED IT AND I LOVE

SEEING YOU ON THE SHOW.

IS EVERYONE HANGING OUT WITHOUT

Loading...