Gene Robinson

  • Aired:  12/10/12
  •  | Views: 36,293

Bishop Gene Robinson senses a hunger among the more conservative religious denominations to find a way forward on gay marriage. (5:30)

WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE BISHOP OF THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED GOD BELIEVES IN LOVE.

STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE.

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM BISHOP GENE ROBINSON.

>> THANK YOU.

I HAVE A PRESENT FOR YOU.

I BROUGHT YOU A DREIDEL.

( APPLAUSE ) I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BACK.

IT'S A GAMBLING DREIDEL

>> Jon: THEY ALL ARE.

THANK YOU.

I DON'T HAVE BUT THOUSANDS OF THESE.

NOW, DO YOU GO TO HANUKKAH CELEBRATIONS PLAY A LITTLE DREIDEL

>> I DON'T DO THE GAMBLING THING Jon: OF COURSE NOT.

GAMBLING.

I MEANT THE FUN.

>> I'M MORE A SEDER KIND OF GUY Jon: THAT'S NOT FOR ME.

IT'S COME ON, JUST EAT.

>> IT GOES ON FOR HOURS Jon: AND YOU'RE CELEBRATING FREEDOM

>> I LIKE THAT Jon: THE JEWS WANDERED FOR 40 YEARS BUT I CAN'T EAT NOW.

WE'LL HAVE A SEDER SOMETIME.

I ALWAYS LEAVE A SEAT OPEN.

HERE'S WHAT YOU'VE DONE HERE.

YOU GOT THIS BOOK "GOD BELIEVES IN LOVE." THE TIMING OF IT COULD NOT BE MORE APPROPRIATE.

YOU HAVE THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES IS ABOUT TO TAKE UP THE CASE OF WHETHER OR

NOT THE DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT IS CONSTITUTIONAL.

IS IT?

>> I'LL TELL YOU.

THE TIMING WAS SO AMAZING.

YOU KNOW, WE'RE REACHING THIS MOMENT IN WHICH EVEN PEOPLE OF FAITH -- MAYBE ESPECIALLY PEOPLE

OF FAITH -- ARE SEEING THAT THERE IS A WAY WAY FORWARD ON THIS GAY MARRIAGE ISSUE.

WE'RE SEEING IT IN ALL AGES, ALL RACES, ALL DENOMINATIONS.

YOU KNOW, THEY'RE LOOKING AT OUR FAMILIES.

THEY'RE LOOKING AT OUR RELATIONSHIPS.

THEY'RE LOOKING AT HOW WE RAISED OUR KIDS.

WHAT THEY'RE SEEING IS ALL AMERICAN FAMILY VALUES.

YOU THINK THE CONSERVATIVES WOULD BE FOR THAT.

WOULDN'T YOU

>> Jon: IT'S SO SURPRISING TO ME THAT THIS IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE ISSUE TO TRY AND BRING MORE

PEOPLE INTO THE FUNDAMENTAL UNIT THAT THEY BELIEVE TO BE THE FOUNDATION OF ANY RATIONAL

STRUCTURED SOCIETY.

MORE PEOPLE GETTING MARRIED SEEMS BETTER THAN LESS.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

I THINK BACK TO RAISING OUR TWO DAUGHTERS, YOU KNOW, THE WILD GAY LIFESTYLE THAT EVERYBODY

TALKS ABOUT WAS SATURDAY NIGHT PLAYING BOARD GAMES AND WATCHING THE GOLDEN GIRLS AND GOING TO

CHURCH ON SUNDAY MORNING AND MAKING SURE THERE WERE CLEAN CLOTHES FOR SCHOOL ON MONDAY.

OUR FAMILIES ARE LIKE OTHER PEOPLE'S FAMILIES.

WE'RE JUST SEEING THE TIPPING POINT, I THINK, IN AMERICAN CULTURE.

AND IN RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS

>> Jon: I FEEL LIKE MANY PEOPLE OF FAITH ARE STRUGGLING TO GET SOME FOUNDATION TO AGREE WITH

THIS BECAUSE THEIR EXPERIENCE IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAY.

BUT THEY NEED TO NOT ALSO ABANDON SCRIPTURE.

THAT'S WHAT YOU TRY AND DO HERE

>> I WAS RAISED IN A VERY CONSERVATIVE SEMINARY OUT WEST.

THE EVANGELICALS ARE EVEN FINDING THEIR YOUNG PEOPLE WHO HAVE GAY AND LESBIAN FRIENDS ARE

LEAVING THEM BECAUSE THEY KNOW THE THINGS THAT ARE BEING SAID ABOUT LBGT PEOPLE ARE SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

MY SENSE IS THAT THERE'S A REAL HUNGER EVEN AMONGST THE MORE CONSERVATIVE RELIGIOUS

DENOMINATIONS TO FIND A WAY FORWARD ON THIS.

THE SCRIPTURE SAYS WHERE LOVE IS, THERE IS GOD ALSO.

THEY SEE THAT LOVE IN OUR FAMILIES.

I THINK PEOPLE CAN'T HELP BUT BE SUPPORTIVE.

>> Jon: I READ THE BIBLE BECAUSE I STAY IN A LOT OF HOTELS.

>> YOU'VE GOT TO WATCH THOSE GID IONS.

>> Jon: BUT IT ALWAYS STRUCK ME WHEN THEY USED THE BIBLICAL FOUNDATION TO BE AGAINST GAY

MARRIAGE THEY WOULD USE LEVITICUS AT TIMES THAT SAYS TO LAY WITH A MAN IS AN ABOMINATION.

IF YOU READ LEVITICUS, EATING SHELLFISH IS AN ABOMINATION.

WHY AREN'T THEY ALSO TRYING TO SHUT DOWN RED LOBSTER?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

WHERE IS THE CONSISTENCY OF THOUGHT THERE?

>> WELL THERE'S NOT A LOT OF CONSISTENCY.

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS, YOU KNOW, WE HAVE TO TAKE SCRIPTURE IN ITS CONTEXT.

YOU KNOW, THEY TRIED TO ROPE JESUS INTO THIS THING, RIGHT?

HERE'S A GUY WHO IN A CULTURE THAT VIRTUALLY DEMANDED MARRIAGE, A SINGLE GUY SPENDING

MOST OF HIS TIME WITH 12 MEN SINGLED OUT THREE OF THEM FOR LEADERSHIP.

ONE OF THEM IS KNOWN IN THE BIBLE AS THE ONE WHOM JESUS LOVED.

NOW I'M NOT SAYING JESUS WAS GAY.

BUT LET'S BE CAREFUL TO ROPE THIS GUY IN FOR A HUSBAND-WIFE AND 2.2 CHILDREN AS A MODEL FOR FAMILIES.

HE KNEW ABOUT FAMILIES OF CHOICE.

AND SO DO L.G.B.T. PEOPLE

>> Jon: I'VE HEARD SOME SAY IT WAS A LAST BRUNCH AND NOT A SUPPER.

SOME HAVE SAID.

>> THAT WOULD HAVE MADE IT REALLY CLEAR.

WOULDN'T IT?

>> Jon: I WANT TO ASK YOU ABOUT SORT OF THE PUSHBACK YOU FACED IN THE COMMUNITY OF FAITH AND

ALL THIS SORTS OF THING.

THE BOOK IS CALLED "GOD BELIEVES IN LOVE" IT'S ON THE BOOK SHELVES NOW.

WE'RE TALKING TO BISHOP GENE ROBINSON.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...