American Terror Story

  • Aired:  10/01/12
  •  | Views: 94,831

The Obama administration shares some hunches concerning the deadly attack on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi. (5:09)

>> Jon: THANK YOU MUCH! TRANSPARENCY, OPENNESS, OPEN LINES OF COMMUNICATION, THEY ARE NOT JUST PHRASES YOU VAGUELY

HEAR YOUR WIFE SAY WHILE YOU ARE TRYING TO WATCH THE GIANTS GAME.

ALSO IMPORTANT HALLMARKS OF PROFESSIONAL ADMINISTRATION AND THAT IS THE SUBJECT OF OUR INSTALLMENT OF OUR NEW SERIES,

DO YOU GUYS EVER TALK TO EACH OTHER?

>> TONIGHT'S TOPIC, THE TERRORIST ATTACK, ON THE U.S.

EMBASSY IN LIBYA THAT KILLED FOUR AMERICANS, INCLUDING OUR AMBASSADOR TO LIBYA.

>> WHITE HOUSE WAS STILL IN FACT FINDING MODE.

>> I AM TELLING YOU THIS IS UNDER INVESTIGATION, AN ONGOING INVESTIGATION.

>> Jon: THAT IS GOOD THINKING.

ALTHOUGH IN THE PRESS CONFERENCE WE DID ESTABLISH A HUNCH.

>> WE HAVE NO INFORMATION TO SUGGEST THAT IT WAS A PREPLANNED ATTACK.

THE UNREST WE HAVE SEEN AROUND THE REGION HAS BEEN IN REACTION TO A VIDEO.

>> Jon: YEAH.

CRAPPY MOHAMMED MOVIE.

THINGS LIKE THE RING.

THREE DAYS AFTER YOU WATCH IT, EMBASSIES JUST BURST INTO FLAMES.

SO YOUR ADMINISTRATION STORY IS ONE ANTI-MUSLIM VIDEO ON YOUTUBE TOUCHED OFF THE MASSIVE PROTEST ES ON SEPTEMBER 11TH AND SPREAD

QUICK THROW 27 OTHER PLACES.

>> SEEMS IMPLAUSIBLE BUT AFTER CARNEY'S PRESS CONFERENCE HE HAD AN EXPLANATION FOR THAT.

>> OUR CURRENT ASSESSMENT ASSESSMENT IS WHAT HAPPENED IN BENGHAZI WAS IN FACT INITIALLY A SPONTANEOUS REACTION TO WHAT HAD

JUST TRANSPIRED HOURS BEFORE IN CAIRO, ALMOST A COPY CAT OF THE DEMONSTRATIONS AGAINST OUR FACILITY IN CAIRO, WHICH WERE

PROMPTED, OF COURSE, BY THE VIDEO.

>> Jon: COPYCAT! SO LIBYA WASN'T THE RING, IT WAS THE RING 2.

SO FIVE DAYS AFTER THE ATTACKS THE WHITE HOUSE WAS STILL THINKING ON THE VIDEO STORE.

>> THE NATIONAL TERRORIST CENTER WENT IN FRONG OF CONTINUE, IN FRONT OF CONGRESS WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ASSESSMENT.

>> I WOULD SAY, YES, THEY WERE KILLED IN THE COURSE OF A TERRORIST ATTACK ON OUR EMBASSY.

>> Jon: OF COURSE, HE WOULD SAY IT IS A TERRORIST ATTACK, HE RUNS THE COUNTER-TERRORISM CENTER, HE THINKS EVERYTHING IS

TERROR, IF YOU ASKS GHOST BUSTERS THEY WOULD BLAME GHOSTS.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? IF YOU ASKED THE FOO FIGHTERS THEY WOULD PROBABLY BLAME IT ON FOO.

>> ANYWAY, THE GENTLEMAN HAD COMPANY IN MAKING THAT ASSESSMENT.

>> I THINK IT IS SELF EVIDENCE WHAT HAPPENED IN BENGHAZI WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

>> Jon: OH.

HOW BAD DOES IT SUCK TO BE THE WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY.

HEY TELL THEM AMOUNT THE VIDEO.

>> OKAY.

GET OUT THERE AND TELL THEM IT WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

>> OKAY.

>> Jon: NOT TO MENTION JUDGING BY THE SOUND OF THAT VIDEO, APPARENTLY THEY MAKE HIM STAND AT A VERY SPECIAL PLACE WHILE

ANSWERING QUESTIONS.

YOU KNOW WHAT? IT IS NOT SO WEIRD.

IT STARTED OUT THE ADMINISTRATION WASN'T QUITE SURE WHAT HAPPENED.

THEY MADE A COUPLE OF STATEMENTS WHICH LATER THEY WANTED TO TAKE BACK AND BY DAY EIGHT, THEY WERE VERY CLEAR THAT THIS WAS A

TERRORIST ATTACK, SO THE PRESIDENT SPOKESMAN SAID IT IS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

CUT TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES JUST THREE HOURS LATER.

>> I DON'T WANT TO SPEAK TO SOMETHING UNTIL WE HAVE ALL OF THE INFORMATION.

WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THAT THE NATURAL PROTESTS THAT AROSE BECAUSE OF THE OUTRAGE OVER THE VIDEO WERE USED AS AN EXCUSE BY

EXTREMISTS TO SEE IF THEY CAN ALSO DIRECTLY HARM U.S.

INTERESTS.

>> Jon: SO DO YOU GUYS TALK TO EACH OTHER OR -- I MEAN, FOR GOD'S SAKE HILLARY CLINTON GOT THE MEMO.

>> WHAT HAPPENED IN BENGHAZI WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

>> Jon: SO LET'S TRY AGAIN IN A SAFER SPACE.

>> I HEARD HILLARY CLINTON SAY THAT IT WAS AN ACT OF TERRORISM.

IS IT? WHAT DO YOU SAY?

>> WELL, WE ARE STILL DOING AN INVESTIGATION.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT THE KIND OF WEAPONS THAT WERE USED, THE ONGOING ASSAULT THAT IT WASN'T JUST A MOB ACTION.

>> Jon: AND? AND IF IT WASN'T JUST A MOB ACTION BUT NOT AN ACT OF TERRORISM EITHER, WHAT DOES

THAT LEAVE? WHAT, LIBYAN ST.

PATRICK'S DAY? WHAT IS GOING ON? A QUINCEANERA THAT GOT OUT OF HAND? NOW A CYNIC WOULD ARGUE HE IS UNWILLING TO ADMIT

THE EMBASSY WAS HIT BY TERRORISTS BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE HIM LOOK BACK.

BUT MAYBE IT IS HONEST CONFUSION, MAYBE IT IS HONEST CONFUSION AND IT TOOK A WEEK TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED IN LIBYA.

>> OUR SOURCES TELL US THEY KNEW WITHIN 24 HOURS THIS WAS A TERROR ATTACK.

>> Jon: (BLEEP)! WELL, TWO THINGS APPARENTLY HAVE BECOME CLEAR, THE ATTACK ON OUR EMBASSY WAS PLANNED AND COORDINATED, THE

RESPONSE TO IT, NOT SO MUCH.

Loading...