Mike Huckabee Pt. 1

  • Aired:  11/12/12
  •  | Views: 94,058

Author and Fox News host Mike Huckabee doubles down on his opinion that Republicans have done a "pathetic" job courting minority voters. (5:23)

TONIGHT A FORMER GOVERNOR OF ARKANSAS, HOST OF HUCKABEE ON THE FOX NEWS CHANNEL, ALSO A

BEST-SELLING AUTHOR.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED DEAR CHANDLER, DEAR SCARLET, A GRANDFATHER'S THOUGHTS ON FAITH,

FAMILY AND THE THINGS THAT MATTER MOST.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE PROGRAM, MIKE HUCKABEE.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ) HOW ARE YOU?

>> WELL, I'M DOING GREAT, JON.

LET'S JUST DON'T TALK ABOUT THE ELECTIONS.

>> Jon: LOOK AT THIS BOOK RIGHT HERE.

>> THAT'S A GOOD THING TO TALK ABOUT

>> Jon: DEAR CHANDLER, DEAR SCARLET.

I FIND THAT THERE IS NOTHING KIDS LOVE MORE THAN LETTERS FROM THEIR GRANDPARENTS

>> THAT'S WHY I WROTE IT.

I KNEW EVEN WHEN THEY'RE JUST TOTS THEY'LL SAY PLEASE READ THOSE TO ME AGAIN

>> Jon: HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE ABOUT THE WAY THE WEATHER USED TO BE.

>> IT COULD BE.

Jon: ALL RIGHT.

LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION.

YOU SAID SOMETHING... I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WAS ELECTION NIGHT, IT WAS ABOUT THE REPUBLICAN

PARTY AND HOW THEY HAVE TO EXPAND THEIR BASE.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS.

MIKE HUCKABEE TALKING ABOUT...

>> I THINK REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE A PATHETIC JOB OF REACHING OUT TO PEOPLE OF COLOR.

SOMETHING WE HAVE TO WORK ON.

>> Jon: WHY TO THEY HAVE TO WORK ON THAT?

IN OTHER WORDS LIKE IS IT WORK OR IS IT SOMETHING YOU FEEL LIKE HOW DO YOU REACH OUT TO PEOPLE

OF COLOR WITHOUT NECESSARILY ADDRESSING THEIR CONCERNS?

>> THAT'S A FAIR QUESTION.

JON, I GOT 49% OF THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN VOTE IN MY STATE WHEN I WAS RAN FOR GOVERNOR.

I THINK IT'S RIDICULOUS FOR REPUBLICANS TO ASSUME WE WON'T GET THAT VOTE.

IT'S AUTOMATIC FOR THE DEMOCRATS.

THAT'S JUST NOT TRUE.

>> Jon: RIGHT I THINK THE FACT IS REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE A PATHETIC JOB OF COMMUNICATING WHAT

CONSERVATISM DOES TO EMPOWER PEOPLE AND HOW IT HELPS PEOPLE TO MOVE FROM ONE RUNG OF THE

LADDER TO THE NEXT.

AND TO BE HONEST, SOME BRANDS OF CONSERVATISM DON'T HELP PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THE NEXT RUNG OF THE

LADDER

>> Jon: HERE'S WHAT I THINK IS ACTUALLY A LARGER PROBLEM FOR CONSERVATIVES IN THIS ARENA

BECAUSE I'VE NOTICED THE PIVOT AMONG CERTAIN, YOU KNOW, ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY'RE SAYING LIKE,

MAYBE WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT IMMIGRATION SINCE WE NEED TO PICK OFF SOME HISPANIC VOTE.

WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT... THERE IS A CERTAIN PATRONIZING FEELING OF LIKE, OH, GOD, ALL RIGHT, SO WE

HAVE TO TALK TO LATINOS AND BLACK PEOPLE NOW

>> THAT WILL NEVER WORK.

THAT WILL NEVER WORK BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SHOW UP IN OCTOBER OF AN ELECTION YEAR AND SAY, OH, BY

THE WAY WE WANTED TO COME BY AND SAY HELLO.

WE'D SURE LIKE FOR YOU TO VOTE FOR US.

IT'S ABOUT APPOINTMENTS.

IT'S ABOUT POLICY THAT CHANGES THE WAY PEOPLE PERCEIVE YOUR PARTY BECAUSE OF THE REALITY

THAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING THAT HELPS THEM.

WHETHER IT'S EDUCATION OR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'S NOT JUST SOME KIND OF A ELECTION YEAR WINDOW DRESSING BECAUSE

THAT DOESN'T DO A DOG-GONE THING

>> Jon: HERE'S WHAT I THINK THE LARGEST OBSTACLE YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO OVERCOME.

WHAT THEY HAVE UTILIZED MINORITIES FOR IN THE CONSERVATIVE WORLD IN A LOT OF WAYS.

THIS IS ELECTION DAY

>> WHAT'S GOING ON IN PHILLY WITH THE NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY

>> THE NUMBER OF BLACK PANTHERS WERE OUTSIDE OF A POLLING SITE

>> A MEMBER OF THE NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY

>> STANDING GUARD EMI-MILITARY POST TO INTIMIDATE VOTERS

>> FOX NEWS CONFIRMED HE IS A DESIGNATED POLL WATCHER.

>> IF IT'S NOT VOTER INTIMIDATION, WHAT IS IT?

>> STANDING GUARD OUTSIDE A POLLING PLACE

>> INTIMIDATING VOTERS IN PHILADELPHIA

>> LAST TIME FOUR YEARS AGO ONE OF THEM HAD A BILLY CLUB

>> IN 2008 IN PHILADELPHIA, THEY SAID YOU CAN'T BE RULED BY A BLACK MAN

>> Jon: BASICALLY THERE'S A STORY ON FOX THAT RAN 21 TIMES.

THERE'S A BLACK GUY IN PHILADELPHIA.

AND HE'S BY THE DOOR.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING?

YOU CANNOT SIMULTANEOUSLY USE A GROUP OF PEOPLE AS A BOOGIE MAN.

YOU CAN'T SCARE... HERE'S THE HOPE IT SEEMED LIKE OF THE RIGHT.

WE'RE GOING TO SCARE YOU ENOUGH TO VOTE OUT THIS ONE BLACK GUY BY SHOWING YOU THESE OTHER BLACK GUYS.

BUT WE DON'T WANT TO SCARE YOU SO MUCH ABOUT THESE OTHER BLACK GUYS THAT YOU THINK THEY MIGHT

BE NEAR WHERE YOU VOTE

>> I THINK IT WOULD BE A LITTLE BIT OF A STRETCH TO SAY THAT EVERY CONSERVATIVE HAS THIS

ANXIETY BECAUSE THAT'S NOT TRUE.

THERE ARE A LOT OF BLACK CONSERVATIVES

>> Jon: WOULD YOU SAY THAT THEY USE THAT TO STIR UP FEAR ABOUT A BLACK PANTHER MAN

>> I THINK IT GOES BACK TO THE ELECTION FOUR YEARS AGO WHEN THERE WAS APPARENTLY SOME VOTER

INTIMIDATION

>> Jon: THERE WERE TWO GUYS AT THAT POLLING PLACE

>> WITH BILLY CLUBS IN THEIR HANDS WALKING AROUND.

THAT KIND OF MAYBE DISSUADE ME FROM WANTING TO VOTE IF SOMEBODY WAS CRACKING A BILLY CLUB

>> Jon: IF THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE DOING

>> THAT'S WHAT THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW, JON.

HERE'S WHAT I THINK HAS TO HAPPEN.

IT'S AS IF FOX IS DOING IT.

I'M ON FOX.

I DON'T THINK THAT.

I DON'T DO THAT

>> Jon: WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK WITH MORE FROM MIKE HUCKABEE WHERE WE WILL CHALLENGE THAT

Loading...