The Only Unfair Thing Ever

  • Aired:  05/23/13
  •  | Views: 99,604

Jason Jones talks with radio personality and "The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide" author Wayne Allyn Root about the indignity of being profiled for political beliefs. (5:09)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK!

NOW LISTEN, THE I.R.S. HAS BEEN

ACCUSED OF TARGETING RIGHT WING

GROUPS FOR SCRUTINY, WHICH IS

VERY UNFAIR.

IN FACT, IT'S THE ONLY UNFAIR

THING-- EVER.

(LAUGHTER)

JASON JONES HAS MORE.

I I LAST WEEK WE LEARNED THE

I.R.S. TARGETED TEA PARTY

MEMBERS AND CONSERVATIVES LIKE

WAYNE ALLEN ROOT WERE FURIOUS.

>> I THINK THE I.R.S. SCANDAL IS

ONE OF THE BIGGEST SCANDALS IN

MODERN AMERICAN POLITICAL

HISTORY.

MAYBE IN ALL OF POLITICAL

HISTORY.

IF YOU SPEAK OUT AGAINST OBAMA

YOU ARE ORDERED TO BE

PERSECUTED.

>> SEE, NORMALLY, I WOULD LOVE

TO SAY YEAH, YOU'RE SUCH A

STUPID IDIOT!

BUT I CAN'T BECAUSE THEY

TARGETED CONSERVATIVE GROUPS.

>> THEY DID.

>> SADLY, WAYNE ALLEN ROOT,

AUTHOR OF "THE ULTIMATE OBAMA

SURVIVAL GUIDE" KNOW THIS IS

KIND OF PERSECUTION FIRSTHAND.

>> I WAS AUDITED, IT WAS THE

MOST TARGETED AUDIT YOU'VE EVER

SEEN.

I THINK SOMEONE JUST PICKED UP

THE PHONE AND SAYS "DO ME A

FAVOR, THIS GUY IS BOTHERING US"

AND SOME FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

PICKS UP A PHONE AND SAYS "RUIN

HIS LIFE."

>> AND FACTS ARE FACTS.

EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NO

INFORMATION TO BACK THIS UP.

>> I WAS TARGETED FOR WHAT I

BELIEVE IN.

>> PROFILING IS WRONG.

>> RIGHT.

>> SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO

PROPONENTS OF PROFILING WHO SAY

THINGS LIKE "THE SIMPLE SOLUTION

IS TO END POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

BY ADOPTING THE ISRAELI MODEL OF

PROFILING?"

WHO SAID THAT?

THAT WAS -- THAT WAS -- I'VE GOT

IT SOMEWHERE HERE.

OH, THAT WAS SAID BY WAYNE ALLEN

ROOT.

>> WAYNE ALLEN ROOT SAID THAT?

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: .

>> REALLY?

WHEN DID WAYNE ALLEN ROOT SAY

THAT.

>> OKAY, SO LET'S ANSWER THAT.

HERE WE GO, THREE, TWO, ONE.

PROFILING IS USEFUL IN POLICE

INSTANCES WHEN YOU'RE TALKING

ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING ON AN

AIRPLANE.

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ISSUE THAN

PROFILING SOMEONE FOR THEIR

POLITICAL BELIEFS.

>> THOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE OKAY

TO TARGET SOMEONE FOR THEIR

RELIGIOUS BELIEFS -- ANYBODY

NAMED ON DUAL OR MOHAMMED OR

ACHMED, LET'S PUT THEM IN A ROOM

AND MAKE SURE THEY DON'T HAVE

EXPLOSIVES.

>> OR SKIN COLOR.

>> WHY IS STOP-AND-FRISK

DIRECTED AT LATINO AND BLACK

KIDS?

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONES DOING

THE SHOOTINGS.

>> IT'S JUST NOT OKAY TO TARGET

SOMEONE FOR THEIR PRESIDENT CAL

BELIEFS.

>> I JUST -- I DON'T EVEN KNOW

WHERE THIS IS COMING FROM.

IT'S SO ABSURB SURD.

I -- THREE, TWO, ONE.

YOU TALK ABOUT A COMPLETELY 100%

DIFFERENT SITUATION.

(LAUGHTER)

>> SO WE SHOULDN'T PROFILE EVER

UNLESS IT'S NECESSARY?

>> CORRECT.

LAST I CHECKED, THE PROFILING

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT HAS NEVER

RUINED A HUMAN BEING'S LIFE IN

THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

>> HE WAS RIGHT-- OTHER THAN THE

FEW HUNDRED INSTANCES OF

PROFILING RUINING PEOPLE'S LIVES

AND IN SOME CASES ENDING THEM.

NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THESE

PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THEIR

INSTANCES OF PROFILING ARE

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

>> THIS IS DAMONT, A YOUNG

AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE.

THIS IS LINDA, A MUSLIM

AMERICAN, AND THIS IS FRANK

LOPEZ WHO IS MEXICAN.

>> DOMINICAN.

>> WHATEVER, IT'S ALL BASICALLY

THE SAME.

(LAUGHTER)

YOU'VE EACH BEEN PROFILED.

>> YES.

>> TELL ME ABOUT THE WORST TIME

THAT YOU'VE BEEN PROFILED.

>> I WAS WALKING TO GO PLAN OUT

SOME WORKSHOPS THAT I DO IN THE

COMMUNITY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN

TWO DETECTIVES HOP UP OUT OF AN

UNMARKED CAR, GET US UP AGAINST

THE WALL AND HE STARTS GOING

INTO MY BAG AND IN MY POCKET AND

INTO THE LINING OF MY UNDERWEAR.

HE SAYS "I DON'T GIVE A (BLEEP)

IF YOU CONSENT OR NOT, THIS IS

THE BRONX."

>> I CONSIDER WHAT YOU'RE

TALKING ABOUT AN INCONVENIENCE

AND AN UNFORTUNATE ONE BUT AT

INCONVENIENCE NOT A DISASTER.

TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

>> HOW IS IT NOT A DISASTER?

I'VE BEEN STOPPED AND I'VE BEEN

SENT TO CENTRAL BOOKINGS, I'VE

BEEN SENT TO --

>> FOR WHAT?

FOR WHAT?

>> FOR DOING NOTHING WHATSOEVER.

THAT'S DESTROYING MY LIFE.

>> WHEN THE DAY COMES WHERE YOU

HAVE BUILT AND BUSINESS AND IT'S

WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND

THE I.R.S. COMES AND TRIES TO

DESTROY EVERYTHING YOU BUILT AND

TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU YOU'LL

THINK BACK AT THE FEW TIMES YOU

WERE AT AN AIRPORT WHERE SOMEONE

ASKED YOU QUESTIONS OR PULLED

YOU ASIDE AND YOU SAY WOW,

THAT'S A NEW LEVEL OF

INCONVENIENCE.

THE OTHER WAS INCONVENIENT, THIS

IS THE DESTRUCTION OF MY

BUSINESS AND MY LIFE.

>> IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL WHEN IT

HAPPENS ONCE BUT WHEN IT HAPPENS

EVERY SINGLE TIME, THAT'S A

PROBLEM.

THAT'S CRAZY AND CALLOUS.

>> CALLOUS.

FUNNY WORD, CALLOUS.

THEY'RE NOT LAUGHING.

(LAUGHTER)

SADLY, THESE PEOPLE WILL JUST

NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHAT IT'S LIKE

TO BE PROFILED BY THE GOVERNMENT

JUST BECAUSE OF WHO YOU ARE AND

WHAT YOU REPRESENT.

>> WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT NO ONE'S

COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING PROFILED

THEY'RE NOT LISTENING TO THE

PEOPLE BEING PROFILED ON A DAILY

BASIS.

>> IF SOMEHOW THOSE PEOPLE WERE

IN THE SAME POSITION, THEY'D BE

OUTRAGED WITHOUT SEEING THE

INHERENT IRONY.

(LAUGHTER)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THREE, TWO, ONE, BUSTED.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: JASON JONES, WE'LL BE

RIGHT BACK

Loading...