Oh, for Fox Sake

  • Aired:  06/27/11
  •  | Views: 216,113

Chris Wallace sets the record straight about his interview with Jon by retracting the truth. (5:52)

LET ME TELL YOU THIS.

THE MARRIAGE EQUALITY ACT

PASSING IN NEW YORK WASN'T THE

ONLY BIT OF GOOD NEWS HERE

THIS WEEKEND.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS.

>> UP NEXT, SETTING THE RECORD

STRAIGHT ABOUT OUR INTERVIEW

LAST WEEK WITH JON STEWART.

>> Jon: YES!

FINALLY.

( APPLAUSE )

LET ME TELL YOU WHAT'S GOING

ON.

I DO AN INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS

WALLACE.

I MENTIONED FOX NEWS VIEWERS

WERE THE MOST CONSISTENTLY

MISINFORMED VIEWERS IN EVERY

POLL.

POLITIFACT SAID I SHOULDN'T

HAVE SAID EVERY POLL.

JUST MOST.

I BROUGHT UP A 21 LIE SALUTE

OF POLITIFACT SPOT FACT

CHECKING SO I ASSUME THAT

CHRIS WALLACE NOW BEGINS THE

WORK OF APOLOGIZING FOR FOX'S

MANY FALSE AND MISLEADING

STATEMENTS.

PROBABLY DO A BLOOPER SHOW AND

CARRY US INTO THE 2014 MIDTERM

S WITH A CLEAR CONSCIOUS.

>> DO YOU BELIEVE THAT FOX

NEWS IS EXACTLY THE

IDEOLOGICAL EQUIVALENT... OF

NBC NEWS.

>> I THINK WE'RE THE

COUNTERWEIGHT.

I THINK THEY HAVE A LIBERAL

AGENDA.

I THINK WE TELL THE OTHER SIDE

OF THE STORY.

JON SEEMED TO THINK THAT WAS A

BIG DEAL THAT I SAID WE TELL

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY.

I WISH I HAD SAID THE FULL

STORY.

HERE'S WHAT I MEANT.

>> Jon: WAIT.

THAT WAS A BIG DEAL THAT YOU

SAID THAT.

THAT'S YOUR SETTING THE RECORD

STRAIGHT?

I ACCIDENTALLY TOLD THE TRUTH

AND WISH I COULD TAKE IT BACK?

YOU'RE NOT THE...

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

THAT'S CRAZY.

HOW ARE YOU NOT THE

COUNTERWEIGHT?

>> LET ME GIVE YOU A CLASSIC

EXAMPLE OF WHAT FAIR AND

BALANCED MEANS TO ME.

AFTER HURRICANE KATRINA, THE

MAINSTREAM MEDIA PILED ON FEMA

FOR ITS FAILURE TO RESPOND TO

THE CRISIS.

AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DID

A LOUSY JOB.

BUT IT WAS FOX NEWS THAT

STARTED REPORTING ON THE

FAILURE OF THE FIRST

RESPONDERS, THE CITY OF NEW

ORLEANS AND THE STATE OF

LOUISIANA TO HELP PEOPLE.

YES, WE REPORTED FEMA'S

PROBLEMS BUT WE ALSO TOLD THE

OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY.

>> Jon: THAT'S YOUR EXAMPLE?

YOU HAD A WEEK TO PREPARE AN

EXAMPLE AND YOU CAME UP WITH

IN 2005 EVERYONE WAS (BEEP) ON

THE REPUBLICANS AND WE MADE

SURE THEY UNDERSTOOD THAT

LOCAL LOUISIANA DEMOCRATS

(BEEP) TOO.

I MEAN, JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY

IN YOUR WEEK OF DIGGING FOR

THAT, DID YOU FIND IT ON

THURSDAY OR FRIDAY OR WAS IT

BROADCAST NEWS WHERE JOAN

SPRINTED IN DURING THE SHOW

COUNTDOWN, "I FOUND ONE."

HERE'S WHAT I'LL DO.

I'LL FIND SOMETHING.

HERE'S WHAT I'LL DO.

I'LL FIND SOMETHING MAYBE MORE

FROM THE RECENT PAST THAT I

THINK TELLS THE FULLER STORY.

IT'S NOT CRAZY.

MOTHER SAYS I'M CRAZY TO HAVE

THESE BOOKS BUT I DON'T THINK

IT'S CRAZY.

I THINK IT'S SMART TO HAVE

THESE BOOKS.

HERE'S ONE.

HERE'S ONE.

BRETT BEAR'S SHOW.

THAT'S ON THE NEWS SIDE.

THEY WERE REPORTING ON THE

CRAZY ATF OPERATION THAT

ALLOWED MEXICAN DRUG CARTELS

TO PURCHASE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS

INTO AMERICA AND SELL THEM

BACK TO MEXICO.

>> SOME SAY IT WAS INNOCENT.

OTHERS BELIEVE IT WAS ALLOWED

TO HAPPEN TO JUSTIFY TOUGHER

GUN LAWS IN THE U.S.

>> Jon: DID YOU SEE THAT?

HE JUST THREW IT RIGHT IN

THERE.

PRESIDENT OBAMA IS EITHER

INCOMPETENT MAKING AN INNOCENT

MISTAKE OR THE ARCHITECT OF AN

EVIL CONSPIRACY TO WREAK

VIOLENT CARNAGE IN MEXICO AS A

WAY TO TAKE AWAY AMERICA'S

GUNS.

YOU KNOW, BOTH SIDES OF THE

STORY.

WHO SAID THAT NERK AMERICA WAS

INVOLVED IN THIS TYPE OF

CONSPIRACY THAT, IF TRUE,

COULD OPENLY LEAD TO THE

IMPEACHMENT OF A PRESIDENT?

WHO SAID IT?

>> OTHERS.

>> Jon: OF COURSE CHRIS

WALLACE'S MAIN CLAIM TO

CREDIBILITY WAS THIS.

>> AS WE SHOWED TODAY WE DON'T

GO EASY ON REPUBLICANS.

>> Jon: THAT AT LEAST FOR ONE

HOUR OF FOX'S 168 HOURS OF

PROGRAMMING A WEEK, REALLY,

IT'S THREE HOURS BECAUSE IT'S

REPEATED TWICE.

MOTHER SAID IT'S CRAZY TO

WATCH IT LIKE THAT BUT I DON'T

THINK IT'S CRAZY.

I THINK WATCHING IT AT 2:00

AND 6:00 WHEN IT'S REPEATED IS

ACTUALLY THE RIGHT WAY TO DO

IT.

I WONDER.

I WONDER.

I WONDER IF THE FACT THAT I

MAKE FUN OF DEMOCRATS WOULD

THEN BE PROOF THAT I'M NOT

BIASED.

>> AM I AN ACTIVIST IN YOUR

MIND.

>> YEAH.

>> THEN I DISAGREE WITH YOU.

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE WITH YOU

THAT THAT'S THE CASE.

I DON'T THINK....

>> I THINK YOU TAKE SHOTS AT...

ALTHOUGH I THINK IT'S TO

MAINTAIN CREDIBILITY AND

YOU'RE NOT AS COMFORTABLE WITH

IT.

YOU TAKE SHOTS AT OBAMA AND AT

THE LIBERALS.

YOU LIKE TO MAKE FUN OF

CONSERVATIVES.

>> Jon: DO YOU SEE THE GAME?

I MAKE FUN OF CONSERVATIVES OR

REPUBLICANS BECAUSE I'M A

LIBERAL PARTISAN IDEOLOGUE.

I MAKE FUN OF LIBERALS OR

DEMOCRATS BECAUSE I WANT AS

PART OF MY BRILLIANT YET

CYNICAL STRATEGY TO MAINTAIN

ENOUGH CREDIBILITY TO CONTINUE

MAKING FUN OF CONSERVATIVES

AND REPUBLICANS.

AND THAT NARRATIVE OF

CONSERVATIVE VICTIMIZATION IS

THE TRUE GENIUS OF WHAT FOX

NEWS HAS ACCOMPLISHED.

ANY EDITORIAL JUDGMENT IN NEWS

OR SCHOOLS OR MOVIES THAT

DOESN'T FAVOR THE CONSERVATIVE

VIEW IS ELITISM AND IS

EVIDENCE OF LIBERAL BIAS.

WHEREAS ANY EDITORIAL JUDGMENT

THAT FAVORS THE CONSERVATIVE

VIEW IS EVIDENCE OF MERELY OF

FAIRNESS AND DONE TO PROTECT

THEM FROM LIBERAL BIAS.

AND IF YOU CRITICIZE FOX FOR

THIS GAME, GUESS WHAT THAT IS

EVIDENCE OF?

HOW RIGHT THEY ARE ABOUT HOW

PERSECUTED.

IT IS AIRTIGHTER THAN AN

OTTER'S ANUS.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT.

THEY CAN'T LOSE.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THIS WHOLE

VICTIM THING MAKES FOX?

PERHAPS THIS TERM A FRIEND OF

MINE USED ONCE TO DESCRIBE OUR

CURRENT PRESIDENTIAL

ADMINISTRATION IS MOST APT.

>> THEY ARE THE BIGGEST BUNCH

OF CRY BABIES I HAVE DEALT

WITH IN MY 0 YEARS IN

WASHINGTON.

Loading...