share

July 29, 2015 - Doris Kearns Goodwin

  • Episode: 20137
  • Views: 140,685

Jon's White House visit leads to wild media speculation, an Arkansas pastor takes on LGBT rights, and Doris Kearns Goodwin discusses "Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream." (21:29)

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THEDAILY SHOW.

MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

WE'VE GOT A GOOD SHOWTONIGHT.

PRESIDENTIAL HISTORIAN, OUR OLDFRIEND DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN IS

GOING TO BE JOINING US LATER.

DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN IS GONNA BETALKING ABOUT PRESIDENTS.

BUT SPEAKING OF PRESIDENTS,BIG NEWS FROM YESTERDAY.

>> THE WHITE HOUSE TAKINGJON STEWART VERY SERIOUSLY.

>> "POLITICO" IS REPORTINGTHAT STEWART SECRETLY

VISISTED THE WHITE HOUSE.

>> THE PRESIDENT INVITEDSTEWART TO TWO SECRET WHITE

HOUSE MEETINGS WHEN HENEEDED MEDIA SUPPORT.

>> SECRETLY MEETING WITHPRESIDENT OBAMA.

>> SECRET MEETING.

>> HAD SECRET MEETINGS.

>> SECRETLY WORKING TOGETHERFOR YEARS.

>> Jon: HOLY [BLEEP]!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THAT-- I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS--

THAT SOUNDS SO MUCH MORE AWESOMETHAN WHAT HAPPENED.

(LAUGHTER)

BASICALLY THE PRESIDENT OF THEUNITED STATES CALLED MY OFFICE

AND ASKED, TWICE, IF I WOULDCOME TO WASHINGTON TO MEET WITH

HIM, AND I DID.

(LAUGHTER)

WASN'T REALLY THAT BIG A DEAL.

I WAS BROUGHT THROUGH THE SECRETWHITE HOUSE TUNNEL ENTRANCE AT

MT. RUSHMORE.

IT WAS A ROUND TABLE MEETINGWITH THE PRESIDENT, ELVIS --

STILL ALIVE -- MINISTERFARRAKHAN AND THE AREA 51

ALIEN.

BUT I REMEMBER, WE OPENEDWITH THE TRADITIONAL

SAIL ALINKSY PRAYER, SUCKED ONTHE BLOOD OF THE RIGHTOUS AND

TOOK TURNS [BLEEP] THEREPLICA OF THE REAGAN EYE

SOCKET.

OH, WAIT, I SHOULD TELL YOU ITWAS A REPLICA.

THE REAL REAGAN EYE SOCKETIS KEPT IN THE SMITHSONIAN

AND IS ONLY [BLEEP] ONCHRISTMAS.

(LAUGHTER)

WOW!

BUT ANYWAY, THE WHOLE SECRETTHING MAKES IT SOUND SINISTER,

BUT IF YOU GUYS INSIST, IT WAS ASECRET.

>> JON STEWART WAS INVITEDINTO THE OVAL OFFICE, NOT

ONCE BUT TWICE.

SECRET MEETINGS WERE THEY?

>> WELL, NOT NECESSARILYSECRET, BECAUSE IT IS ON THE

LOG.

THEY'RE JUST KIND OF COMINGOUT NOW, STEWART, SO DEPENDS

ON HOW YOU LOOK AT IT.

>> Jon: RIGHT.

SO I GUESS IF YOU LOOKED ATIT, THEN IT'S NOT A SECRET.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: LIKE IF YOU LOOKED AT ITTHAT IT WAS OPENLY LISTED AND I

WENT THROUGH THE NORMAL WHITEHOUSE ENTRANCE LIKE EVERYBODY

ELSE, AND I TOLD MY MOM WHAT IWAS DOING AND SHE TOLD HER

FRIENDS, AND HER FRIENDS ARELIKE, STILL NOT A CARDIOLOGIST.

BUT-- THE POINT IS THIS.

SOMETHING IS NOT A SECRETJUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW

ABOUT IT.

NOW THE SADDEST PART IS THEMEDIA HAS GOT A SERIOUS CASE

OF THE FOMO.

>> WE JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THEYTALKED ABOUT.

>> IF ONLY YOU COULD BE AFLY ON THE WALL DURING THOSE

MEETINGS.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: LET ME TELL ISOMETHING, YOU DO NOT WANT

TO BE A FLY ANYWHERE NEARPRESIDENT OBAMA. --

>> NICE.

>> I GOT THE SUCKER. THERE ITIS.

>> Jon: BY THE WAY, THE NAMEOF THAT BUG, OSAMA BIN FLYIN.

AND I THINK YOU KNOW THEREST OF THE STORY.

SO I ASSUME THAT THEINSINUATION HERE IS, I WAS

SUMMONED TO THE WHITE HOUSESO OBAMA AND I COULD

COORDINATE ON HIS AGENDA, MAYBEPROMOTING OBAMACARE OR THE AUTO

BAILOUT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

WHAT IS YOUR EVIDENCE.

>> LAST YEAR THE PRESIDENTCHATTED UP STEWART HOURS

BEFORE WARNING RUSSIAAGAINST FURTHER MILITARY

INTERVENTION IN UKRAINE.

>> AND STEWART, WHO SEEMINGLYWORKED IN CONCERT WITH THE

WHITE HOUSE, SAID THIS ON HISVERY NEXT SHOW.

>> Jon: RUSSIAN FORCES STORMINGUKRAINIAN BASE, THAT IS

BLATANT NAKED AGGRESSION ORAT THE VERY LEAST DISTURBINGLY

SHIRTLESS AGGRESSION, YEAH.

>> THE NEXT DAILY SHOW THEREWAS JON STEWART MAKING FUN

OF VLADIMIR PUTIN.

AND SO IT WORKED FROM THEWHITE HOUSE'S POINT OF VIEW.

>> INTERESTING.

>> Jon: INTERESTING.

SO YOU BELIEVE AS RUSSIANTROOPS GATHERED AT THE

BORDER OF THE UKRAINE, OBAMASUMMONED ME--

(LAUGHTER)

JUST IN CASE HE NEEDED HELPTURNING YOUNG AMERICANS AGAINST

PUTIN.

SO THEN THE PRESIDENT HAD MEGO BACK IN TIME AND DO

[BLEEP] OF OTHER ANTI-PUTINHEADLINES, YEARS EARLIER

SO NOBODY WOULD SUSPECT IDIDN'T CARE FOR VLADIMIR

PUTIN.

LOOK, LET ME TELL YOU HOW THISHAPPENED.

THE PRESIDENT ASKED ME TOCOME TO WASHINGTON.

AND I DID.

BECAUSE IF THE PRESIDENTTELLS YOU, AND YOU DON'T,

WHO THE [BLEEP] KNOWS WHATWOULD HAPPEN.

AND BY THE WAY, TO ALLFUTURE PRESIDENTS, IF YOU

ASK ME TO COME TO WASHINGTON,I WILL DO THAT.

BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOWTO REACT TO THAT OTHER THAN,

WHAT TIME?

AND HERE'S HOW THE MEETINGSWENT.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED.

WE SPENT ABOUT FIVE TO SEVENMINUTES WITH OBAMA KIND OF

SCOLDING ME, NOT TO TURN YOUNGAMERICANS CYNICAL.

AND I SPENT ABOUT FIVE TOSEVEN MINUTES EXPLAINING TO

HIM, I'M ACTUALLY SKEPTICALLYIDEALISTIC AND SMILING LIKE

THIS.

AND THEN WE SPENT ABOUT 45MINUTES ARGUING ABOUT, REALLY,

THE VA CAN'T BE FIXED ANYQUICKER? OR HEALTHCARE.GOV

CAN'T COME ON LINE WITHOUTCRASHING MY SON'S MINECRAFT

GAME? AND THE WHOLE THINGBASICALLY TAKES PLACE OVER

SOME OF TRULY THE BESTSALOMON YOU HAVE EVER HAD.

SO REALLY, REMEMBER MYINTERVIEW WITH OBAMA LAST

WEEK, IT WAS THAT.

BUT WITH SALOMON.

IN FACT, DON'T EVEN BOTHERMANAGING IT, WE'LL DO IT FOR

YOU.

>> WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TODEMONSTRATE THE AGILITY --

>> NO, NO, NO, NO.

(JON AND BARACK TALK OVER EACHOTHER)

>> THE REASON THEY ARE GOINGBACK UP, AS I TOLD YOU, YOU

HAVE 2.7 MILLION NEW FOLKSCOMING IN.

>> Jon: WELL, WHEN YOU START ALOT OF WARS... IT'S GOING TO

ADD PEOPLE.

>> HOLD ON A SECOND.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: NOW, I CAN UNDERSTAND IFTHERE ARE SOME FOLKS AT FOX WHO

ARE CONCERNED THAT ANY MEETING ITAKE WITH A POWERFUL INDIVIDUAL

SHOULD BE DISCLOSED, LEST IT BECONSIDERED POSSIBLE

COLLUSION.

LET ME SAY TELL YOU THIS, IHAVE BEEN SUMMONED BY

A SURPRISINGLY WIDE VARIETY OFINDIVIDUALS OVER THE YEARS.

FROM TECH GIANTS, TO FINANCIALCAPTAINS, TO BILLY JOEL -- TRUE.

AND THE GENERAL THRUST OFALL OF THOSE MEETINGS OR

PHONE CONVERSATIONS ARE THESAME.

BASICALLY IT'S THIS.

JON, WHY ARE YOU SUCH ANASSHOLE.

(LAUGHTER)

IT WAS TRUE OF THE MEETING WITHTHE PRESIDENT, AND IT'S BEEN

TRUE OF THE MEETINGS WITH ALLTHOSE PEOPLE.

AND THIS WOULD BE OFINTEREST TO MANY OF THEM.

IN FACT, THERE WAS ONEPARTICULAR MEETING THAT WAS

ACTUALLY SECRET, UNTIL ANINTREPID PRE-FOX HOWIE

KURTZ BLEW THE WHISTLE ONIT, WHEN I WAS SUMMONED BY

ROGER AILES TO HIS OFFICE.

JUST LIKE MY MEETING WITHTHE PRESIDENT.

EXCEPT WHERE THE PRESIDENTHAD HIS PEOPLE REACH OUT TO

ME BY PHONE, FOR THISMEETING A RAVEN WOKE ME UP

AT MIDNIGHT.

(LAUGHTER)

ANYWAY, HERE'S A QUICK SNIPPETOF WHAT THAT CONVERSATION

WAS LIKE --

>> Jon: I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ORENJOY IT BUT I'M SURE IT WAS

PROFOUND.

WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THEUNITED STATES TRYING TO

INFLUENCE OR INTIMIDATE ORFLATTER ME?

MY GUESS IS UH-HUH.

DID IT WORK?

MIGHT HAVE.

WAS IT SINISTER?

I DON'T (BLEEP) KNOW.

IN FACT, IN MY ENTIRE TENURE ATBEING YELLED AT BY INFLUENTIAL

AND POWERFUL AND INDIVIDUALS,AND BILLY JOEL--

(LAUGHTER)

ONLY, THIS IS TRUE, ONLY WITHONE OF THOSE PEOPLE HAS A PHONE

CALL EVER ENDED WITH, QUOTE,THIS CONVERSATION NEVER

HAPPENED, AND IF YOU SAY IT DID,I WILL DENY IT.

AND IT WASN'T THE [BLEEP]PRESIDENT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I WILL TELL YOU WHAT.

WHAT IS WILD TO ME IS JUSTHOW FAR AND QUICKLY THIS

STORY SPREAD, UNQUESTIONED.

EVEN THOUGH THE ARTICLE THATIT WAS BASED ON IF

"POLITICO" CONTAIN PRETTYBASIC FACTUAL ERRORS.

FOR INSTANCE, POLITICOREFERRED TO OUR EXECUTIVE

PRODUCER AT SCOTT BUDOW, AMAN WHO I HAVE KNOWN ALL

THIS TIME AS STEVE BODOW.

AND WHOSE NAME HAS BEEN FACTCHECKED BY OUR CREDITS EVERY

NIGHT THE SHOW AIRS.

BUT YOU KNOW, MAYBE THE SHOWIS WRONG.

HEY, CAN YOU COME OUT HEREFOR A SECOND.

>> HEY, JON.

>> Jon: STEVE, IS YOUR NAMESCOTT BUDOW.

>> NO, IT'S ACTUALLY STEVEBODOW.

>> Jon: WHO IS SCOTT BUDOW.

>> WELL, ACCORDING TO LINKEDIN,SCOTT BUDOW IS A MANAGER AT

TRICOUNTY AUTO GLASS INSANTA BARBARA.

AND SCOTT-- .

>> Jon: LET'S SEE HIM.

>> HEY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> HEY, SCOTT BUDOW. THANKS FORTHE PLUG, GUYS.

I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE.

IS YOUR WINDSHIELD IN NEEDOF A REPAIR.

DO YOU HAPPEN TO LIVE INSANTA BARBARA?

THEN COME TO TRICOUNTY AUTOGLASS, THE SOUTHERN CENTRAL

COAST AUTO GLASS REPLACEMENTEXPERTS.

>> Jon: SORRY TO INTERRUPTHERE.

SCOTT, IF ARE YOU FROM SANTABARBARA, WHAT DO YOU DO

HERE.

>> I AM HERE BECAUSE STEVEAND I OCCASIONALLY LIKE TO

WIFE SWAP.

>> Jon: SCOTT BUDOW ANDSTEVE BODEO, EVERYBODY.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

AS I WIND DOWN MY TIME HERE,I LEAVE THIS SHOW KNOWING

THAT MOST OF THE WORLD'SPROBLEMS HAVE BEEN SOLVED BY

US, THE DAILY SHOW.

BUT SADLY, THERE ARE STILLSOME DARK CORNERS THAT ARE

BROOM OF JUSTICE HAS NOTREACHED YET.

UNTIL NOW, JORDAN KLEPPER'SREPORT.

>> IN TODAY'S "PC WORLD" ITSEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS

TRYING TO BE A BIT MORETOLERANT.

BUT IN ONE STUBBORN TOWN INRURAL RED STATE ARKANSAS,

DISCRIMINATION IS ON THE RISE.

WORST OF ALL, THE LOCAL CITYCOUNCIL REFUSES TO OPEN

THEIR EYES TO THE TOWN'SBIGOSTRY.

>> WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE INEUREKA SPRINGS.

EVERYBODY IS ACCEPTED FORWHO THEY ARE.

IF YOU ARE A SEVEN FOOT TALLMAN AND YOU WANT TO PARADE

IN TOWN BAREFOOT WEARING APURPLE DRESS, THAT'S FINE.

>> OH, REALLY?

TELL THAT TO LOCAL RESIDENTRANDALL CHRISTIE.

>> THERE IS DISCRIMINATIONEVERYWHERE, THERE ALWAYS HAS

BEEN.

I DOUBT THERE EVER WILL BE ATIME WHEN THERE'S NOT

DISCRIMINATION.

>> YOU ARE FACING DISCRIMINATIONHERE BECAUSE YOU'RE... JEWISH?

>> NO, I'M FACING DISCRIMINATIONHERE BECAUSE --

>> YOU'RE BLACK?

>> I PASTOR A CHURCH.

>> SO THE PEOPLE BEINGDISCRIMINATED AGAINST HERE

ARE CHRISTIANS?

>> YES.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

IN ARKANSAS WHERE CHRISTIANSMAKE UP A MEAGER 86% OF THE

POPULATION, PASTOR CRISTIEFEELS DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE

EUREKA SPRINGS PASSEDORDINANCE 2223.

>> THE ORDINANCE PROHIBITSDISCRIMINATION BASED ON A

PERSON'S SEXUAL ORIENTATIONAND GENDER IDENTITY.

>> YES, THIS BACKWARDS TOWNACTUALLY VOTED TO PROTECT

THE LGBT COMMUNITY.

>> I DID TAKE A VOCAL STANDAGAINST 2223.

THIS LAW DELIBERATELYDISCRIMINATES AGAINST THE

CHURCH.

THEY HAVE A PARAGRAPHREGULATING CHURCH HIRING

PRACTICES.

>> NOBODY IS TAKING AWAY THECHURCH'S RIGHT TO DO

ANYTHING.

THEY ARE NOT A PART OF THISORDINANCE.

THEY'RE NOT INCLUDED IN THISORDINANCE.

IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TODO WITH CHURCHES.

>> OKAY, THOUGH THE CHURCHIS EXCLUDED FROM THIS LAW

AND PASTOR CHRISTIE CAN HIREANYONE HE WANTS.

WHILE THE TOWN DIDN'T TAKEAWAY HIS CHURCH OR BAN

PUBLIC DISPLAYS OFCHRISTIANITY OR SHUT DOWN

HIS ENORMOUS PASSION PLAY ORREMOVE HIS 66 FOOT CHRIST OF

THE OZARK STATUE OR STOP HIMFROM EXPRESSING HIMSELF IN

LOCAL PAPERS, ONLINE ANTHROUGH ADS PLASTERS AROUND

TOWN, HE IS STILL UNDERATTACK.

>> WHEN WE PASSED ORDINANCE2223, THE RELIGIOUS

CONSERVATIVES WERE SO UP SETABOUT THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE

ANTI-GAY.

THEY DESCENDED ON US LIKE APLAGUE OF LOCUSTS.

>> OKAY, FIRST OF ALL, YOUCAN'T USE PLAGUE OF LOCUSTS.

THAT'S A BIBLE THING.

THAT'S NOT YOURS.

>> OKAY.

>> AND SECONDLY, WHY ARE YOUBEING SO MEAN TO THESE POOR

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE.

>> THESE POOR RELIGIOUSPEOPLE ARE MEAN TO US.

THEY WRITE LETTERS TO THEEDITOR.

THEY MARCH UP AND DOWN THESTREET HOLDING SIGNS SAYING

DIVORCE IS EVIL.

>> MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE THEYHAVE TO CONTEND WITH THE

NIGHT MARRISH HELLSCAPE SINPALACE THUNDER DOME OF GAY

THAT IS EUREKA SPRINGS.

>> THE ENERGY OF DOWNTOWN INYOUR EXPERIENCE HAS CHANGED

A LOT SINCE THE INFLUX OFLGBT, IT REALLY HAS.

THERE USED TO BE MORE FAMILY-ORIENTED SHOPS THAN THERE

ARE NOW.

>> WHAT ARE THE TYPES OFSHOPS THAT HAVE COME UP THAT

ARE MORE GAY ORIENTED, LESSFAMILY ORIENTED?

(LAUGHTER)

>> THERE'S A FEW.

>> WE DON'T HAVE OPENDISPLAYS OF HOMOSEXU--

-- HOW DO YOU OPENLY DISPLAYTHAT ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

>> YOU OPEN UP GAY STORES.

>> WE DON'T HAVE-- WE HAVESTORES THAT ARE OWNED BY GAY

PEOPLE, BUT THEY'RE NOT GAYSTORES.

I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTANDWHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

>> WELL, THERE ARE STORESTHAT SELL LIKE INTERESTING

RUGS.

>> A RUG.

>> IN YOUR FACE LESBIANISM,OR WHAT ABOUT THAT CUTE

LITTLE GELLATO STORE, WHICHTHAT SCREAMS IN YOUR FACE,

"ACCEPT ME NOW" HOMOSEXUALITY.

>> GELATO, THAT IS KIND OF ANICE CREAM, ICE CREAM IS-- NOT

GENDER NEUTRAL?

>> THESE LAWS THAT PROTECTGENDER EXPRESSION ALLOW

BIOLOGICAL MALES TO GOWHEREVER THEY WANT,

BIOLOGICAL FEMALES TO GOWHEREVER THEY WANT, DEPENDING

ON HOW THEY ARE EXPRESSINGTHEIR GENDER THAT DAY.

IT IS HAPPENING, YOU KNOW.

>> WHAT IS HAPPENING.

>> THERE ARE PEOPLE THATWALK THAT THE REST ROOMS AND

SOMEONE IN THE OPPOSITE SEXIS IN THAT RESTROOM.

>> DOING WHAT?

>> EVIDENTLY USING THE RESTROOM.

>> AND THEN WHAT?

>> I DON'T KNOW BUT THAT'S APROBLEM FOR SOME PEOPLE.

>> I'M NOT QUITE CLEAR SUREWHAT BATHROOMS HAVE TO DO

WITH THIS.

BUT FOR SOME REASON,CONSERVATIVE RELIGIOUS

PEOPLE ARE TERRIBLEABLY HUNGUP ON BATHROOMS.

>> SADLY FOR CHRISTY, THEANTI-DISCRIMINATION

ORDINANCE IS BACKED BY THEVAST MAJORITY OF LOCAL

RESIDENTS, AND HE IS UNABLETO ESCAPE THE CONSTANT

REMINDER OF THE LGBT'SPRESENCE.

>> THEY START PUSHING THEIRLIFESTYLE IN OTHER PEOPLE'S

FACES.

>> THEY HANG OUT THEIR FLAG.

YOU KNOW, THE OLD ADAGE OFHANGING OUT YOUR SHINGLE.

>> YEAH.

IT ALWAYS FEELS LIKE IT ISJUST LOOMING OVER YOU.

>> EVERYWHERE YOU GO.

>> Jon: JORDAN KLEPPER, WE'LL BERIGHT BACK.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, BESTSELLINGAUTHOR, PRESIDENTIAL

HISTORIAN, BESTSELLING BOOK"LYNDON JOHNSON AND THE

AMERICAN DREAM" IS GONNA BECOMEAVAILABLE AS AN eBOOK ON

AUGUST 4th. PLEASE WELCOMEBACK TO OUR PROGRAM DORIS

KEARNS GOODWIN. COME OUTHERE, DORIS.

(APPLAUSE)

ALL RIGHT.

HERE IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TODO.

WE'LL TALK A LITTLE MODERNPOLITICS AND THEN A LITTLE

LBJ.

HERE'S WHAT I WANNA ASK YOU,DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN.

WE ARE IN A SITUATION RIGHTNOW, WE HAVE A REPUBLICAN

PRIMARY WITH 16 CANDIDATES.

YOURSELF AS AN HISTORIAN,HAVE YOUIVE SEEN A PRIMARY

FIELD THAT IS 16 PEOPLEDEEP?

IS THIS, HOW UNPRECEDENTEDIS THIS?

>> NEVER HAVE I SEEN IT.

NEVER, EVER, EVER.

>> Jon: AND IT'S NEVER HAPPENED.

>> AS FAR AS I KNOW.

ARE YOU GOING TO PUT UPSOMETHING THAT SHOWS THAT IT'S

HAPPENED BEFORE.

>> Jon: NO, NO, NO.

BUT WHAT IS GOING ON?

>> WELL, HERE'S THE CRAZYTHING.

YOU KNOW, THE FIRSTPRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY WAS IN

1912 WHEN TEDDY ROOSEVELTWANTED TO BE PRESIDENT AND

TAFT WAS ALREADY PRESIDENT.

SO HE NEEDED A PRIMARYBECAUSE TAFT HAD CONTROL OF

THE PARTY MACHINERY.

THEY STARTED YELLING AT EACHOTHER SO MUCH, CALLING EACH

OTHER PUZZLEWITS, FAT HEADS --

>> Jon: PUZZLEWITS?

-- PUZZLEWITS, FAT HEADS,TRAITORS, THAT "THE NEW YORK

TIMES" WROTE AN EDITORIALSAYING IF THIS IS THE FIRST

PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY, ITSHOULD BE THE LAST.

IT SHOULD MAKE EVERYAMERICAN BLUSH.

SO THEY SAID LET'S GO BACKTO THE CONVENTION SYSTEM

WHICH WAS RATIONAL.

IN THE SUMMER YOU NOMINATESOMEBODY.

TWO MONTHS IN THE FALL ANDIT'S OVER.

I WOULD GO BACK TO THATTOMORROW.

YOU MUST LOVE IT, BUT I MEANIT'S TOO LONG.

>> Jon: I LOVE THAT, "I MEANIT'S DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY FROM

THE INSIDE, IT'S CORROSIVE,YOU MUST LOVE IT."

BUT THE THING IS, BUT COMPLETELYUNDERSTANDABLE.

I WONDER ABOUT THIS,CITIZENS UNITED OPENED THE

PROCESS UP TO BILLIONAIRESAND MULTIMILLIONAIRES OF ALL

STRIPES.

AND I WONDER IF THESECANDIDATES ARE ABLE TO, IN

THE ABSENCE OF WHAT APPEARSTO BE ANY POPULAR SUPPORT,

STAY IN BECAUSE THEY HAVEGOT A BACKER.

AND BACKERS CAN HELP YOURIDE.

>> THAT'S THE HORSE METAPHOR,SOMEBODY IS BETTING ON THEM.

I THINK IF I WERE YOUNG NOW,THE THING I WOULD DO MORE

THAN ANYTHING WAS TO FIGHTFOR AN AMENDMENT UNDER

CITIZENS UNITED.

AND THAT IS ONE OF THETHINGS YOU SHOULD DO TOO.

REMEMBER WE TALKED ABOUTWRITING A BOOK TOGETHER.

>> Jon: YEAH.

>> IT IS THE MOST POISONOUSTHING HAPPENING IN OUR

SYSTEM THAT MONEY IS DOINGEVERYTHING.

THEY ARE SPENDING ALL THEIRTIME RAISING FUNDS.

IT'S RIDICULOUS.

>> Jon: HERE IS WHAT IS SOWONDERFUL ABOUT THAT.

I THINK IT SPEAKS TO THEGOODNESS IN YOU.

WHEN YOU SAID I WISH IWAS YOUNG BECAUSE I WOULD

FIGHT FOR THAT.

IF I WISHED I WERE YOUNG, IWOULD RUN AROUND NAKED

IN SUPERMARKETS.

>> WELL, I MIGHT DO THATTOO.

WHILE I'M FIGHTING FOR THEAMENDMENT.

>> Jon: OKAY, FAIR ENOUGH. IJUST WANT TO POINT OUT THE

DISPARITY IN HOW WE CAREABOUT PEOPLE.

AND THE OTHER THING, AS ANHISTORIAN, HOW DO YOU DEAL

WITH THIS INFLUX OF E-MAILAS HISTORICAL RECORD?

AND THE ABILITY FOR THAT TOBE ERASED.

HILARY CLINTON HAD A SERVER INHER HOUSE.

AS AN HISTORIAN, WHAT ARE WEGOING TO DEAL WITH AS FAR AS

AN HISTORICAL RECORD.

AND I USE "AN" HISTORICAL TOSOUND SMARTER.

>> YOU KNOW, IT'S A REALPROBLEM BECAUSE FOR US

HISTORIANS, THE MOSTIMPORTANT THING IN THE OLD

DAYS WERE LETTERS ANDDIARIES.

THEY DON'T KEEP THEM ANYMORE, RIGHT.

HANDWRITTEN LETTERS, DIARIES.

SO WE DEPEND ON THE EMAILS.

THE ONE PERIOD THAT WASTOTALLY GONE FROM HISTORY IS

THE TELEPHONE PERIOD.

YOU CALL SOMEBODY UP ON THEPHONE, YOU NEVER HAVE A

RECORD -- EXCEPT IF ARE YOULYNDON JOHNSON AND YOU DO

THE TAPES.

>> Jon: OR NIXON.

>> HERE SAY GREAT STORY.

SO LYNDON JOHNSON HAS THISLITTLE TAPE MACHINE IN HIS

OVAL OFFICE, HE PRESSES THEBUTTON.

YOU LISTEN TO THESE TAPES,YOU WILL LOVE THEM IF YOU'LL

LOVE THEM, IF HAVEN'T LISTENED.

THERE IS ONE WHERE HE ISTALKING TO HIS TROUSER

MANUFACTURE.

>> Jon: HE HAS A TROUSERMANUFACTURER?

>> AND HE WANTS 12 PAIRS OFTROUSER BUT HE SAID I HAVE A

PROBLEM.

I VARY MY WEIGHT EACH MONTHSO I GO UP 10 OR 15 POUNDS.

DO YOU KNOW THAT AREA WHERETHE CROTCH IS, YOU KNOW, WHERE

THE BALLS HANG DOWN?

SOMETIMES IF IT'S TOO TIGHT, YOUKNOW, IT IS LIKE A WIRE FENCE I

FEEL LIKE I'M SITTING ON -- ANDTHEN THERE'S THAT OTHER AREA

WHERE THE BUNGHOLE IS.

SOMETIMES THAT IS TOO TIGHT.

>> Jon: AND THS IS ON TAPE.

>> IT'S ON TAPE, AND, AS AHISTORIAN, YOU LOVE IT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: NOW THAT IS ANEXHIBIT IN HIS LIBRARY, I

DON'T REMEMBER.

>> BUT THEN YOU GET TO KNOWTHE GUY.

NO, BUT SERIOUSLY, YOU NEEDTO KNOW THE PERSONAL AND THE

PUBLIC TOGETHER.

THE OTHER STORY THATHAPPENED, I MET THIS GUY WHO

WAS THE C.E.O. OFPEPSI-COLA.

SO HE TOLD ME KNEW LYNDONJOHNSON AND HE KNEW NIXON

WHEN NIXON FIRST BECAMEPRESIDENT.

SO NIXON ASKED HIM TO GO TOGENERAL SON RANCH TO TALK ABOUT

SOME PRIVATE MATTER.

JOHNSON'S GRUMPY, HE'S WORKINGON HIS MEMORIS, HE SAID HOW CAN

I REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED 20YEARS AGO, 30 YEARS AGO.

ONLY CHAPTERS THAT ARE ANY GOODWERE -- I HAD THIS LITTLE TAPE

MACHINE, IT HAD A LITTLE BUTTON.

THOSE CHAPTERS ARE GREAT.

SO YOU GO BACK AND TELL YOURFRIEND RICHARD NIXON AS HE

STARTS HIS PRESIDENCY,NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN

A TAPING SYSTEM.

>> Jon: IT WAS JOHNSON'SFAULT.

>> IT WAS JOHNSON.

>> Jon: INCREDIBLE.

(APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN, ILOVE YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEINGWITH US.

EVEN THE PEOPLE THAT DID THELETTERS AND DIARIES KNEW

THEY WERE WRITING FORHISTORY, SO I IMAGINE THAT

WAS POINTED.

IT WOULD SEEM LIKE JEFFERSON ANDADAMS ALWAYS KNEW THEY WERE

WRITING FOR EACH OTHER BUT FORHISTORY.

I'M A GREAT MAN WHO DOESN'TLIKE SLAVERY.

LIKE, IT WAS A LOT OF THAT.

SO YOU NEVER KNOW WITH THATSTUFF.

>> YOU NEVER KNOW.

BUT AT LEAST ITS A HEHANDWRITTEN AND YOU SAVE IT

AT THE END OF THE DAY AND THEYARE WRITING THEIR WIFE.

AND IT'S GOOD STUFF.

>> Jon: AND WHEN THEY'RE WRITINGNOW, THEY KNOW ENOUGH NOW TO

SAY "THE BUNGHOLE WHAT ABOUT --ERASE THAT.

VERY NICE TO SEE YOU,"LYNDON JOHNSON AND THE

AMERICAN DREAM," AVAILABLE ONeBOOKS AUGUST 4th.

DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN, EVERYBODY.

(APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: THAT'S OUR SHOW. HEREIT IS, OUR MOMENT OF ZEN.

>> THINGS GOT OFF TO I AROCKY START WITH THE OVEN...

OVERHEATED.

Loading...