August 7, 2012 - Saima Wahab

  • Episode: 17136
  • (0)

Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell face social media challenges, Italy doesn't love Mitt Romney, and Saima Wahab discusses her journey from Afghanistan to Portland, OR.

>> Pelley: HEY, EVERYBODY,

WELCOME TO DALE DALE.

MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

MY GUEST TONIGHT SAIMA WAHAB,

SHE'S WRITTEN A BOOK ABOUT HER EXPERIENCE GOING UP IN AFGHANISTAN AND PORTLAND,

OREGON.

(LAUGHS) SISTER CITIES.

YOU KNOW THE SAYING "YOU ARE WHERE YOU EAT?" YOU DON'T?

BECAUSE I HAVE MADE THAT UP.

AND YET FOR THE COUNTRY'S LEADING CONSERVATIVES.

TWEET AGO PICTURE OF THEMSELVES WITH CHICK-FIL-A RECENTLY BECAME A GREAT WAY TO EXPRESS

OPPOSITION TO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE.

A LITMUS LUNCH, IF YOU WILL.

PALIN, HUCKABEE, LIMBAUGH, EVEN,

SURPRISINGLY, THIS MIDDLE AGED LESBIAN.

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE) HAS A...

(LAUGHTER).

(LAUGHS) ARE YOU SURE?

THAT'S ACTUALLY SOUTH CAROLINA SENATOR LINDSEY GRAHAM.

(LAUGHTER) LINDSAY'S A BOY'S NAME?

NO.

NO, THAT'S A LESBIAN!

OKAY.

ANYWAY, LAST WEEK GRAHAM POSTED HIS PICTURE ON FACEBOOK SAYING "AS A LONG TIME CHICK-FIL-A

FANATIC I STAND WITH CHICK-FIL-A.

WE HAD IT FOR BREAKFAST TODAY BUT MY USUAL ORDER IS THE NUMBER ONE ORD WE ARE LAW IS AND A COKE ZERO.

" COKE ZERO!

DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT IS THE GAYEST COKE!

(LAUGHTER) EVEN DIET CAFFEINE FREE COKE IS LIKE "GIVE IT A REST, COKE ZERO." (LAUGHTER)

BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT SOCIAL MEDIA CAN BE A DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD?

>> I'M WAITING IN LINE, NEXT IN LINE, PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT MY FREE WATER.

>> YOU KNOW WHY I'M GETTING A FREE WATER, RIGHT?

>> I DO NOT.

>> BECAUSE CHICK-FIL-A IS A HATEFUL CORPORATION.

>> I DISAGREE, I WOULDN'T... WE DON'T TREAT ANY OF OUR CUSTOMERS DIFFERENTLY.

>> Jon: THAT GENTLEMAN IS A SUPPORTER OF SAME-SEX MARRIAGE AND HE'S APPARENTLY CONFUSING

THIS WELL-MANNERED HOURLY SHIFT WORKER FOR MRS. CHICK-FIL-A.

(LAUGHTER) I MEAN, EVERYONE KNOWS CHICK-FIL-A COMPANY POLICY IS SET BY THE GUY WORKING THE

WAFFLE FRIES.

(LAUGHTER) LOOK, MAN, OH, MAN, THIS GUY WASN'T DUN SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWERLESSNESS.

>> I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF AND WORK HERE.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

THIS IS A HORRIBLE CORPORATION WITH HORRIBLE VALUES.

>> WE'RE HERE TO SERVE YOU IN ANY WAY THAT YOU NEED.

I HOPE OFF REALLY NICE DAY.

>> I WILL.

I DID SOMETHING REALLY GOOD.

I FEEL PURPOSEFUL.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> Jon: OH, I SHOULD CLARIFY,

MY PURPOSE IS TO BE A DICK.

(LAUGHTER) THE BEST PART OF THAT DEAL?

THAT DUDE POSTED THAT VIDEO!

HIMSELF!

(LAUGHTER) HE UPLOADED THAT TO A COMPUTER AND IS LIKE "WAIT UNTIL THE WORLD SEES THIS!"

AND WHY NOT?

HE HAD NOTHING TO BE PERSONALLY ASHAMED OF.

>> I'M A NICE GUY, BY THE WAY.

AND I'M TOTALLY HETEROSEXUAL.

I'M NOT... NOT A GAY IN ME.

I JUST CAN'T STAND THE HATE, YOU KNOW?

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: YOUR COMPANY SUCKS AND I DON'T BLOW DUDES SO, UP...

(LAUGHTER).

SO JUST... I THINK YOUR COMPANY SHOULD BE RESPECT, I DON'T (BLEEP) GUYS.

(LAUGHTER) THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING IS I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE A TALK WITH THEM

ABOUT THEIR POLICY.

(LAUGHTER) BY THE WAY, QUICK MESSAGE TO CHICK-FIL-A H.Q.: GIVE THIS WOMAN A RAISE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) SHE'S A

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) NOT EASY TO FIND THAT TYPE OF FOREIGN TAKE A THANKLESS FAST FOOD JOB.

>> AN EMPLOYEE AT A LOCAL TACO BELL HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FOR A PICTURE HE POSTED ON TWITTER.

>> Jon: PLEASE DON'T BE A PICTURE OF SOMEONE PEEING ON NACHOS.

PLEASE DON'T BE A PICTURE OF SOMEONE PEEING ON NACHOS.

>> THAT PICTURE APPEARS TO BE AN EMPLOYEE URINATING IN A NACHO BELL GRANDE.

(AUDIENCE REACTS).

>> Jon: NO!

NOT A NACHO BELL GRANDE!

(LAUGHTER) UNLESS... IS THAT WHAT MAKES THEM GRANDE?

(LAUGHTER) I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH.

ALL RIGHT, LET ME SEE.

OH!

(AUDIENCE REACTS) ACTUALLY, THAT'S A FAKE, UNLESS THIS PERSON HAS LEARNED TO PEE

OUT OF HIS KNEE.

(LAUGHTER) AND, BY THE WAY, QUICK EDITORIAL OTE: REPORTING THIS STORY PAINSN ME DEEPLY.

NOT ONLY BECAUSE TACO BELL IS A MAJOR SPONSOR OF THIS PROGRAM BUT BECAUSE NACHO BELL GRANDE

ARE SO DELICIOUS.

(LAUGHTER) (LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH SOCIAL MEDIA.

IT'S EASY TO FORGET THE WHOLE WORLD CAN SEE WHAT YOU POST.

NOT TO MENTION YOUR IDENTITY.

>> THE FORT WAYNE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CONFIRMED THAT EMPLOYEE IS CAMERON JANKOWSKI.

I'M TOLD HE HAS SINCE BEEN SUSPENDED.

(AUDIENCE REACTS) (LAUGHTER) STPHAOUPB WOW.

I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU, I DIDN'T KNOW WHO DID THIS, BUT THAT'S

THE KID I WOULD GUESS DID THIS.

(LAUGHTER) THAT PICTURE IS BASICALLY JUST HIM SAYING "YEAH, I PEED IN YOUR NACHOS.

NOW, IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I'M TAKING YOUR DAUGHTER OUT FOR A

NIGHT OF BONG HITS AND STREET RACING.

DON'T WORRY, POPS, I BROUGHT CONDOMS.

HERE, HAVE SOME (BLEEP)ING NACHOS." BY THE WAY, THE KID DIDN'T PEE

IN THE NACHOS, IT WAS JUST MOUNTAIN DUE AND HE WAS PRANKING HIS FRIENDS LEADING TO THIS NEW

SHOW "JANKIN' IT!" IRONICALLY ALSO SPONSORED BY TACO BELL.

EXCEPT FOR YOU, YOU'RE IMMORTAL,

EAT SIX TIMES A DAY!

SO IT SEEMS THE SOCIAL MEDIA/PREPARED FOODS HYBRID MEDIA EVENT IS BECOMING AN

ENTIRE GENRE OF A THING.

MY FAVORITE EXAMPLE HAS TO BE THIS ONE FROM MINNESOTA.

THIS GAY MARRIAGE OPPONENT TAPED HIS PROTEST OF THE GAY MARRIAGE SUPPORTING COMPANY THAT MAKES CHEERIOS.

>> THIS IS REALLY THE TREAT, NOW WITH THE HOMOSEXUALS AND THIS IS

OUR PROTEST OF GENERAL MILLS,

THEY'RE ADVOCATING SAME-SEX MARRIAGES.

(LAUGHTER) YOU KNOW, I THINK I KNOW THE BEST WAY TO PUT THAT FIRE OUT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE).

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THE SHOW.

YOU MAY REMEMBER LAST WEEK THAT HARRY REID SAID MITT ROMNEY HADN'T PAID TAXES FOR TEN YEARS.

IT USUALLY DOESN'T GAIN TRACTION AS NON-HIGH SCHOOLERS BUT IT'S

BEEN PICKED UP AS FACT BY SOME ON THE FLOOR OF THE SENATE.

>> SO THE WORD'S OUT THAT HE HASN'T PAID ANY TAXES FOR TEN YEARS.

LET HIM PROVE HE HAS PAID TAXES BECAUSE HE HASN'T.

>> Jon: YOU DON'T GET TO SAY THE WORD IS OUT!

AS THOUGH THAT'S EVIDENCE OF THE TRUTH OF SOMETHING WHEN YOU'RE

THE ONE WHO PUT OUT THE WORD.

(LAUGHTER) WHAT ARE YOU, A ONE MAN MORMON BLACKERNACLE CHOIR?

CAN YOU TRADEMARK THAT FOR ME?

THANK YOU.

BLABBERNACLE.

WE'LL MAKE T-SHIRTS AND HATS AND GO ON A TOUR.

DO WE NEED TO SEE ROMNEY'S TAX RETURNS WHEN ALMOST EVERY DEAL HE'S EVER MADE ARE THE

PERSONIFICATION OF THE ISSUES AT HAND.

LIKE THIS DEAL HE MADE.

>> DATING BACK TO HIS TIME AT BAIN CAPITAL.

WHILE ROMNEY WAS C.E.O., BANE BOUGHT A TELEPHONE DIRECTORY COMPANY FROM ITALY'S GOVERNMENT

WHICH WAS RESOLD FOR 25 TIMES AS MUCH JUST TWO YEARS LATER.

>> ROMNEY HIMSELF PROBABLY MADE MORE THAN $50 MILLION AND AS MUCH AS $60 MILLION.

>> Jon: WOW, NO HARM THERE.

SMART, ITALY MOVES TO PRIVATIZE PHONE DIRECTORIES.

BAIN SEES AN OPPORTUNITY, STEPS IN, RIDES THE CREST OF THE INTERNET BUBBLE, SELLS IT BACK

FROM AN ITALIAN COMPANY AT THE PEAK OF ITS VALUE.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

>> THEY FUNNELED THEIR PROFIT US THERE SUBSIDIARIES IN LUXEMBOURG.

THAT'S A COMMON PRACTICE BY FIRMS LOOKING TO REDUCE THEIR TAX LIABILITIES.

>> Jon: OH!

SO THE CORPORATION THAT BENEFITS GREATLY FROM THE INFRASTRUCTURE OF ITALY AND THE UNITED STATES

TAKES THAT PROFIT AND MAKES SURE ITALY AND THE UNITED STATES GET A AS LITTLE OF IT AS POSSIBLE BY

FUNNELING IT THROUGH LUXEMBOURG.

A COUNTRY THAT EXISTS SOLELY AS THE WORLD'S FINANCIAL DIALYSIS MACHINE.

(LAUGHTER) OF COURSE, TO ROMNEY, ALL THAT SLEIGHT OF HAND ISN'T A

LIABILITY, IT'S AN ASSET.

>> ROMNEY CAMPAIGN SPOKESWOMAN MICHELLE DAVIS GOES FURTHER "WITH THIS INVESTMENT, MITT

ROMNEY AND BAIN CAPITAL WITH ITS CONSORTIUM PARTNERS PARTNERED WITH A NEW MANAGEMENT TEAM TO

TRANSFORM THIS COMPANY AND GROW IT INTO A TREMENDOUS SUCCESS.

MITT ROMNEY IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT TO PUT THAT EXPERIENCE TO WORK."

>> Jon: SEE AMERICA?

WE DON'T NEED FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES IN OUR POLICY MAKING MECHANICS OR THE REBUILDING OF

OUR STRUCTURE.

WE JUST NEED BETTER ACCOUNTANTS.

OH, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL WE FUNNEL SOUTH CAROLINA TO LUXEMBOURG.

(LAUGHTER) BY THE WAY, HOW DID THE ITALIANS FEEL ABOUT THIS DEAL?

>> ONE COMPANY SHAREHOLDER WHO OPPOSED THE DEAL SAID "THE GOVERNMENT GOT RIPPED OFF, IT

WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE DESTRUCTION OF ITALIAN INDUSTRY."

>> THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE SEEN AS A "PERSONA NON GRATA" THERE.

>> Jon: WOW.

MITT ROMNEY'S BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE TOO SHADY FOR ITALY.

(LAUGHTER) ITALY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) MITT ROMNEY HAS TO SAY TO ITALY

"I'M A LEGITIMATE BUSINESSMAN." (LAUGHTER) ITALY.

A COUNTRY WHERE THE PRIME MINISTER, THE HEAD OF THE COUNTRY'S LARGEST MEDIA

CONGLOMERATE, AND THE HOST OF THEIR FINEST BUNGA BUNGA PARTIES IS THE SAME (BLEEP)ING GUY.

(LAUGHTER)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, A NATIVE OF AFGHANISTAN, A FORMER ADVISOR TO THE EYES ARMY.

HER BOOK IS CALLED "IN MY FATHER'S COUNTRY: AN AFGHAN WOMAN DEFIES HER FATE."

PLEASE WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM,

SAIMA WAHAB.

(APPLAUSE) HOW ARE YOU?

>> DOING GOOD.

>> Jon: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE.

>> YOU'RE WELCOME.

>> Jon: AND SHARING YOUR STORY WITH US.

"IN MY FATHER'S COUNTRY." MAN, YOU KNOW, I'M NOT CRAZY ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD.

(LAUGHTER) BUT WOW.

WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH AS A CHILD IS REMARKABLE IN YOUR ABILITY TO PERSEVERE OVER THAT AND TO FIND

PURPOSE IN YOUR LIFE.

IT'S SHOCKING.

SHOCKING IN SOME EXTENT BECAUSE OF THE STRENGTH YOU HAVE TO SHOW AND SHOCKING FOR HOW IT

APPARENTLY COMMON IT IS FOR N YOUR COUNTRY FOR YOUNG GIRLS.

>> YES.

>> Jon: YOU WANT TO EXPLAIN WHEN YOU LEFT AFGHANISTAN.

>> WHEN I LEFT AFGHANISTAN I WAS SO YOUNG I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE I

WAS WHAT I WAS GOING THROUGH.

WRITING THIS BOOK WAS IN N A WAY GOING BACK AND RELIVING YOUR CHILDHOOD AND IF IT WASN'T

FOR... FUN THE FIRST TIME IT WASN'T THE SECOND TIME WHEN YOU'RE WRITING AS AN ADULT BUT

AS I WROTE IT I REALIZED HOW COMMON IT WAS AND THAT BECAME HARDER BECAUSE I GOT LUCKY.

I WAS VERY LUCKY TO HAVE THE FAMILY THAT I DID AND SOME OF THE MEMBERS IN THE FAMILY, THEY

WERE ABLE TO SUPPORT ME AND MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO COME OUT.

>> Jon: THIS WAS... YOUR VILLAGE WAS ATTACKED DURING THE RUSSIAN INVASION.

>> YES.

>> Jon: AND SO... AND YOU LIVED... DESCRIBE THE LIVING ARRANGEMENT FOR THE FOLKS WHO

HAVE CONDOS.

(LAUGHTER)

>> THE LIVING ARRANGEMENT WAS BASICALLY A BIG BUILDING WHICH IS CALLED... THE LITERAL MEANING

IS CASTLE AND BASICALLY THE WALLS ARE EIGHT FEET TALL AND YOU'RE STUCK IN THE WALLS AND

YOU DON'T COME OUTSIDE... AS A FEMALE YOU DON'T COME OUTSIDE

THOSE WALLS AND YOU LEAVE THAT HOUSE WHEN YOU ARE A BRIDE, GROW TO YOUR HUSBAND'S CASTLE AND

YOU'RE IN THOSE WALLS AND YOU LEAVE THAT WHEN YOU DIE AS A DEAD BODY TO GO TO THE CEMETERY.

FOR ME TO COME OUT OF THOSE WALLS A LOT HAD TO HAPPEN AND ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT MADE IT

POSSIBLE IS THE RUSSIAN INVASION BECAUSE IT MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR MY FAMILY TO LEAVE THAT CASTLE

AND GO TO PAKISTAN.

ONCE YOU GO TO PAKISTAN YOU START THINKING ABOUT THINGS THAT COULD HAPPEN, THAT... SINCE

COMING TO AMERICA AND THAT BECAME A POSSIBILITY AND THAT ONLY HAPPENED BECAUSE MY

GRANDFATHER, HE REFUSED TO LET THE BOYS IN MY FAMILY COME TO AMERICA WITHOUT THE GIRLS.

AND THAT'S WHY I'M SITTING HERE TODAY.

>> Jon: BUT THIS IS... IT'S VERY UNUSUAL IN MANY RESPECTS YOUR GRANDFATHER OR YOUR BABA

WHO IS A MULLAH, ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THE TOWN.

>> HE WAS THE VILLAGE ELDER,

YES.

>> Jon: THE VILLAGE ELDER.

HE HAD VERY PROGRESSIVE VALUES WHEN IT CAME TO WOMEN.

YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR FRIEND WHOSE FAMILY WAS NOT THAT WAY AND SHE HAD AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE AT A

VERY YOUNG AGE, HER BROTHERS BEAT HER.

HOW DID YOU COPE WITH KNOWING YOUR FRIEND IS DEALING WITH THAT AND YOU'RE IN THIS OTHER SITUATION?

>> A LOT OF GUILT.

THERE WAS A LOT OF GUILT.

I'M LIVING WITH THAT GUILT TODAY, TOO.

IT'S VERY HARD FOR ME TO ENJOY NORMAL DAY LIFE IN AMERICA BECAUSE I KNOW MY FRIEND, MY

BEST FRIEND, IS IN AFGHANISTAN AND SHE LOOKS 30 YEARS OLDER THAN I DO AND IT MAKES ME VERY

SAD BECAUSE SHE WAS A BEAUTIFUL PERSON AND HER BROTHER USED TO BEAT HER UP AND MY BROTHER WOULD

TEASE ME AND SAY "YOU BETTER WATCH OUT OR I'M GOING TO BEAT YOU UP, TOO."

AND I WOULD TELL HIM YOU WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THAT BECAUSE OF MY GRANDFATHER AND MY MOTHER

AND THE REASON MY GRANDFATHER WAS THAT WAY WAS BECAUSE MY FATHER WAS TAKEN BY THE K.G.B.

AGENT HE MADE MY GRANDFATHER PROMISE TO MAKE SURE HIS DAUGHTER WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL

AS HIS SON DID.

>> Jon: THAT WAS INTERESTING.

YOUR FATHER WAS A VERY UNUSUAL GUY AND WAS TAKEN BY THE RUSSIANS.

THERE'S A TRADITION WHEN THEY SAY THE MALE CHILD IS BORN THEY SHOOT OFF GUNS BUT WHEN YOU WERE

BORN YOUR FATHER DID THE SAME.

>> YES.

>> AND HIS FRIENDS SAID ARE YOU CRAZY, YOU DON'T DO THAT FOR A DAUGHTER?

WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?

AND HE SAID "MY DAUGHTER'S GOING TO BE BETTER THAN MANY SONS AND

SHE'S GOING TO DO A LOT MORE FOR SOME PEOPLE." WHICH WAS HIS OWN PURPOSE.

AND THIS WAS THE REASON WHY HE WAS TAKEN BY K.G.B. BECAUSE HE WAS A BIG ACTIVIST FOR PASHTUN

AND HE DIDN'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO COME AND INTERFERE WITH PASHTUN CULTURE AND TRADITION.

SO HE SAID THAT AND A N A LOT OF WAYS THAT'S WHAT MOTIVATES ME

AND THAT'S WHAT MOTIVATED KNOW WRITE THE BOOK BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THAT WAS SOMETHING THAT

CHANGED MY LIFE.

IF HE HADN'T SAID THAT I WOULD BE SITTING IN A VILLAGE AND I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA THAT YOUR

SHOW EXISTS.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: AND WOULDN'T THAT BE THE REAL TRAGEDY HERE?

(LAUGHTER)

>> TOTALLY!tQ3

>> IT'S INTERESTING BECAUSE YOU... THERE'S SO MANY FRIGHTENING MOMENTS IN THE BOOK

WHERE YOU DODGED DEATH.

YOU HAVE THE STORY OF BEING HIT BY A BUS AND IN A COMA.

NOBODY THOUGHT YOU WOULD SURVIVE.

THE BOMBING OF THAT KHALA WHEN THE RUSSIANS BOMBED IT AND YOU EMERGED FROM THE RUBBLE.

>> I WAS SLEEPING INNING THE ROOM, YES.

I WAS SLEEPING IN THE ROOM AND THE BOMB DROPPED AND IT DIDN'T EXPLODE.

IT WAS JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT I GUESS I WASN'T MEANT TO GO.

IT DIDN'T EXPLODE, IT MADE THE WALLS CRUSH DOWN ON ONE SIDE SO I WALKED OUT ALL DUSTY AND MY

MOTHER WAS REALLY SHOCKED AND SHE SAID "I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE SLEEPING THERE."

I WAS LIKE I KNOW, THAT'S HOW CHILDREN IN AFGHANISTAN�r ARE.

>> Jon: THE BEAUTIFUL WAY YOU ARE ABLE TO SMILE AND FIND LITTLE MOMENTS OF HUMOR WITHIN

THIS BOOK IS JUST WONDERFUL.

IT'S WONDERFUL TO READ.

THE PASHTUN ELEMENT OF SILT INTERESTING BECAUSE I KEPT WONDERING, PEOPLE DON'T IDENTIFY

AS AFGHANS.

THEY IDENTIFY MORE TRIBALLY,

PASHTUN BEING ABOUT 40% OF AFGHANISTAN.

>> MORE THAN 40%.

AND IF YOU GO INTO THE VILLAGES IT'S 100% PASHTUN.

IF YOU GO INTO KABUL YOU HAVE MORE NON-PASHTUN THERE IS BECAUSE THEY GRAVITATE TOWARDS

THE CENTRAL COUNTRY WHICH IS BASICALLY KABUL.

>> Jon: SO THAT WOULD BE THE CITIES, PASHTUN ARE MORE..

>> THE VILLAGES.

THE VILLAGES ARE MORE PASHTUN AND THAT'S WHERE I SPEND MOST OF

MY TIME BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE MY FAMILY IS FROM.

>> Jon: NOW THE PASHTUN CULTURE SEEMS TO MEAN EVERYTHING TO THEM AND THERE ARE VERY, VERY

IMPORTANT RULES OF PASHTUN CULTURE.

>> FOR EVERYTHING.

FOR EVERYTHING FROM THE TIME YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING UNTIL THE DAY YOU DIE.

THERE ARE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY KNOWS THESE RULES.

IF I DO SOMETHING THAT WAS AGAINST ONE OF THE RULES BEFORE I GET HOME MY FAMILY WOULD KNOW

I DID SOMETHING I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO DO AND IT HAS HAPPENED QUITE A FEW WHERE

PEOPLE WILL TELL MY FAMILY "YOUR DAUGHTER DID THIS."

>> Jon: EVEN WHEN YOU CAME TO AMERICA AND YOUR BROTHER AND SISTER WENT TO A VIDEO STORE.

>> YES.

(LAUGHS).

>> Jon: AND YOU GOT BUSTED EVEN THERE, PASHTUN RULES IN PORTLAND, OREGON.

>> AND I DIDN'T SPEAK ENOUGH ENGLISH TO TELL THEM.

TO SAY "PLEASE DON'T TELL MY UNCLE.

I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE."

>> Jon: (LAUGHS)

>> YOU WENT BACK WITH THE U.S.

ARMY AND HELPED THEM UNDERSTAND THAT CULTURE IN THESE VILLAGES.

>> UH-HUH.

>> Jon: HOW DID THAT PLAY WITH YOUR MIND AND YOUR LOYALTY?

WHERE DID YOU FEEL A PART OF?

>> I GOT A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES IN YOUR HEAD.

A LOT OF TIMES I FELT VERY CONFLICTED.

I LOVED THE SOLDIERS, THE AMERICAN SOLDIERS.

I LOVED THEM BECAUSE I KNEW THEY WERE GIVING UP A LOT.

I WAS GIVING UP BY CHOICE I WENT THERE, THEY WERE GIVING UP BECAUSE THEY HAD TO DO IT.

AND SO I REALIZED...

>> Jon: I WOULD THINK BY NOW THEY'RE ALREADY STARBUCKS IS PROBABLY OVER THERE.

>> Jon: (LAUGHTER)

>> THERE IS SOMETHING LIKE IT BUT NOT STARBUCKS.

IT'S EQUALLY HORRIBLE.

(LAUGHTER) AND AS EXPENSIVE.

>> Jon: (LAUGHS)

>> AND MY SISTER IS GOING TO KILL ME!

>> Jon: NO, THAT PART OF THE WORLD, IT'S FINE.

LISTEN, IF YOU COULD SURVIVE THE RUSSIAN INVASION, STARBUCKS CAN'T TOUCH YOU.

(LAUGHTER) BELIEVE ME, THEY'RE EQUAL IN POWER BUT...

(LAUGHTER).

>> Jon: GET THIS BOOK.

I AM NOT DOING JUSTICE TO THE DEPTH OF IT AND TO WHAT YOUR PERSONAL JOURNEY IS AND ALL THAT

YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK TO THE PASHTUN PEOPLE AND THE UNITED STATES AND EVERYTHING ELSE AND

IT'S AN HONOR TO HAVE YOU ON THE SHOW.

"IN MY FATHER'S COUNTRY." YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS OUT.

SAIMA WAHAB.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE).

>> Jon: THAT'S OUR SHOW.

JOIN US TOMORROW NIGHT AT 11:00.

CHRIS ROCK WILL BE JOINING US IN THE STUDIO.

HERE'S YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN.

>> AS FAR AS HARRY REID IS CONCERNED, LISTEN, I KNOW YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD.

I'M NOT GOING TO RESPOND TO A DIRTY LIAR.

>> YOU JUST CALLED HIM A DIRTY LIAR.

YOU STAND BY THAT?

YOU THINK HARRY REID IS

Loading...