March 11, 2014 - Andrew Napolitano

  • Episode: 19076
  • (0)

America scrutinizes Vladimir Putin closely as Russia exerts control in Crimea, and Andrew Napolitano defends his contrarian views on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War.

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THE DAILYSHOW MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

WE HAVE A GOOD SHOW FORYOU TONIGHT

MY GUEST ON TONIGHT'S PROGRAM,JUDGE ANDREW NAPOLITANO

HE'S GONNA COME ON

WE'RE GONNA TALK ABOUT LINCOLN-- HOT OR NOT?

[LAUGHTER]

I OF COURSE SAY HOT. EH, I LOVEA GOOD BEARD.

LET ME TELL YOU THIS: FIRSTWE'RE GOING TO TURN TO CRIMEA.

AS YOU KNOW CRIMEA IS A REGIONIN THE

[ LAUGHTER ]SOUTH EASTERN PART OF

UKRAINE THAT JUTS OUT INTO

THE BLACK SEA AND IS WELL KNOWNFOR ITS

CHARGES OF ITS LIGHT BRIGADES

[LAUGHTER]WHO AGAINST ALL ODDS

DON'T ACTUALLY WIN.

PRETTY MUCH LET ME TELL YOUSOMETHING YOU WANT TO BET YOUR

ODDS ON THE LIGHT BRIGADES.BECAUSE THEY GO DOWN PRETTY HARD

NOBODY?

TENNYSON? NOBODY?

ALRIGHT.

THE POINT IS AMERICANS GENERALLYKNOW NOTHING ABOUT CRIMEA

BEYOND WHAT WAS ASSIGNED TOTHEM IN THAT ONE ENGLISH CLASS

IN 8TH GRADE. HERE'S WHAT WEKNOW NOW.

>> CRIMEA IS LOST. >> CRIMEA MIGHT BE A LOST CAUSE.

>> I THINK CRIMEA IS LOST. IDON'T THINK THEY'RE EVER GOING

TO PULL OUT OF THERE. >> CRIMEA IS EFFECTIVELY GONE.

>> IS IT LOST?>> I'M AFRAID SO.

>> YOU THINK CRIMEA IS GONE?>> I DO.

>> Jon: WHERE'S CRIMEA? IT'S ALLGONE!

THE WHOLE THING IS GONE.

CRIMEA!

OH CRIMEA! WE HARDLY KNEW YE!

[LAUGHTER]SERIOUSLY, WE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT

YE.

[LAUGHTER]BECAUSE YE ARE NOT REALLY A PART

OF OUR STRATEGIC OR FOSSILFUEL TYPE INTERESTS.

SO YOU MAY BE WONDERING, IF WEDON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT YE

[LAUGHTER]WHY ARE SUCH SERIOUS PEOPLE IN

AMERICA SO SERIOUSLY SAD ABOUTTHIS DEVELOPMENT

IS IT BECAUSE HOW DEEPLY THISCOUNTRY BELIEVES IN DEMOCRACY

AND FREE PEOPLES? OR MAYBE

>> GROWING CLAIMS THAT BOTHPRESIDENT OBAMA AND THE

UNITED STATES LOOK WEAK ASRUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN

FLEXES HIS MUSCLES IN THEUKRAINE

>> WE HAVE THE CREATED AN IMAGEAROUND THE WORLD NOT JUST FOR

THE RUSSIANS OF WEAKNESS>> PUTIN SOMETIMES MAKES HIS

MOVES WHEN HE PERCEIVESAN AMERICAN PRESIDENT TO BEWEAK.

>> Jon: WE CARE ABOUT CRIMEAAND THE CRIMEANS

BECAUSE RUSSIA TAKING IT OVERMAKES US LOOK WEAK

AND AS YOU KNOW WE HAVE AFOREIGN POLICY THAT IS FOCUSED

PRIMARILY ONCOMPARATIVE PENIS SIZE

IF PUTIN IS GONNA WALK IN THEREAND ADD CRIMEA TO THE TIP OF

RUSSIA'S (bleep)

LOOK OUT MOLDOVA WE'RE COMINGFOR YOU.

I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THESIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT WAS.

[LAUGHTER]I GUESS THE QUESTION IS

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REST OFUKRAINE?

>> UKRANIAN SOLDIERS AND SAILORSSTILL LOYAL TO KIEV HAVE BEEN

LEFT IN LIMBO. LAST WEEK ONEWARSHIP

CREW HAD EVEN ATTACHEDMATTRESSES TO THEIR VESSEL

TO REPEL RUSSIAN SOLDIERS.

[LAUGHTER[

Jon: I -- UH

I AM NOT A MILITARY GENERAL

[ LAUGHTER] I AM NOT A STRATEGIC DEFENSE

PLANNER, A HISTORIAN OF GREATMILITARY STRATEGIES

BUT I CAN TELL YOU THIS, I DON'TBELIEVE YOU WILL DEFEAT RUSSIA

WITH A NAP BASED DEFENSE SYSTEM.

I TELL YOU WHAT WE COULD USE NOW

SOME GOOD ANALYSIS ABOUT WHATVLADIMIR PUTIN MIGHT DO NEXT.

>> IT'S PUTIN'S ACTIONS NOW THATARE REALLY BEING SCRUTINIZED.

BY PEOPLE INCLUDING IMAGE ANDMOVEMENT ANALYST

KAREN BRADLEY.>> HE'S A VERY STRESSED PERSON

IN THIS VIDEO. HIS MOUTH ISWORKING, HE'S LOOKING AWAY FROM

THE COMMANDER. HE'S VERY MUCHINVOLVED WITH HIS OWN THOUGHTSAND FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.

>> Jon: BODY LANGUAGE? YOU'RETRYING TO FIGURE OUT BODY

LANGUAGE FROM OLD VLADY GODIVAOVER HERE?

BODY LANGUAGE? THAT'S WHAT'SYOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

ALRIGHT WHAT HAVE YOU GOT?>> PUTIN'S NOT GIVING

ANYTHING AWAY. NOTHING WILL BEGIVEN.

IT WILL BE HIS TERMS

HE IS DETERMINED TO WIN.

>> Jon: YEAH HE'S PLAYING ITCLOSE TO THE VEST

GUESS WHAT? HE DOESN'T EVEN OWNA (bleep) VEST.

HE JUST WALKS AROUND NAKED HALFTHE TIME

THIS IS WHY NEWS NETWORKS ARETHE WORST.

THANK GOD WE HAVE THE BEST ININTELLIGENCE APPARATUS IN THE

WORLD AND EVEN THOUGH IT'SMOSTLY BEEN TURNED ON US

IT COULD TURN AND USE THEHIGHEST TECH ALGORITHMS,

MASSIVE COMPUTING POWER, THEMOST INTRUSIVE SPY CAPABILITIESTHE WORLD CAN MUSTER

>> PENTAGON OFFICILS TELL USTHEY'VE DONE BODY LANGUAGE

STUDIES ON PUTIN. >> Jon: OH MY GOD.

WHAT'S WITH THE BODY LANGUAGETHING?

[LAUGHTER]I MEAN THAT'D BE GOOD

INFORMATION IF YOU WEREON A DATE WITH HIM.

TRYING TO SEE IF HE'S INTERESTEDIN YOU OR NOT.

HE KEEPS TOUCHING HIS HAIR, ITHINK THAT MEANS HE WANTS TO

RECONSTITUTE THE SOVIET UNION.

LISTEN WHO AM I TO QUESTION THEMETHODOLOGY

OF THE PENTAGON? THEY CLEARLYKNOW

MORE THAN I. PLEASE SURPRISE US.

WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT?

>> THE PENTAGON WON'T SAY WHATTHEY'VE CONCLUDED ABOUT

PUTIN'S BODY LANGUAGE.[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: YEAH YOU WOULDN'T WANTTO GIVE AWAY HIS TELL.

THAT WOULD -- OOH HE TOUCHED HISNOSE, THAT MEANS HE'S GOING INTO

UKRAINE. C'MON THIS GUY ISSHIRTLESS HORSEBACK RIDING,

HE'S RUBBING A TIGER, HE'SKISSING SOME RANDOM KID'S BELLY

HE IS THE BODY LANGUAGEEQUIVALENT OF

TWEETING IN ALL CAPS, AND THEMESSAGE IS

I'M A NUTBIRD.

I THINK I KNOW WHAT'S REALLYMOTIVATING PUTIN.

NOT OUR OWN JASON JONES COVERAGEOF HIS TRIP TO RUSSIA LAST MONTH

BUT HE SAT DOWN WITH AN AMATEURDARE DEVIL. HE ASKED

HER WHAT MAKES RUSSIANS TAKESUCH CRAZY RISKS.

>> WE HAVE A FAMOUS SAYING HEREWE LIVE BY: "DON'T BE A PUSSY".

>> Jon: THERE YOU HAVE IT.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED. VLADIMIRPUTIN'S UKRAINIAN

PUPPET REGIME WAS OVERTHROWN, HELOST CONTROL OF A NEIGHBORING

NATION AND NOW

HE DOESN'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE APUSSY

SO HE DIDN'T HAVE TO INVADECRIMEA,

HE COULD HAVE JUST MADE SOMEVIRAL VIDEOS.

WELL I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE'SGOING TO BE AS EAGER TO LOOK

DOWN HIS SHIRT FOR FIVE STRAIGHMINUTES. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT FOX NEWSSENIOR JUDICIAL ANALYST I

RECENTLY DID A SEGMENT ABOUT HIMAFTER HE MADE SOME PRESIDENT'S

DAY TALKS ABOUT THE 16thPRESIDENT.

>> I AM A CONTRAIN ON ABRAHAMLINCOLN AND BEMOAN THE FACT THAT

HE HAS BEEN MYTHOLOGIZED ATTHE TIME HE WAS PRESIDENT

SLAVERY WAS DYING A NATURALDEATH ALL OVER THE WESTERN

WORLD. IT HAD JUST BEEN EXPIREDBY LEGISLATION IN ENGLAND AND

THE SOUTHERN PLANTATION OWNERSWERE ON THE

CUSP OF IT DYING HERE. INSTEADOF ALLOWING IT TO DIE OR

HELPING IT TO DIE ORPURCHASING THE SLAVES AND THEN

FREEING THEM WHICH WOULD HAVECOST A LOT LESS MONEY THAN THE

CIVIL WAR COST, LINCOLN SETABOUT ON THE MOST MURDEROUS WAR

IN AMERICAN HISTORYJon: WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT

THAT PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THEPROGRAM JUDGE ANDREW

NAPOLITANO. [CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

COME AND SIT. COME AND SIT.

NOW, JUDGE, NO, SIT DOWN.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE][LAUGHTER]

JUDGE -- I'M GOING TO TELL YOUSOMETHING.

[ LAUGHTER ]I'M GOING TELL YOU SOMETHING --

YOU KNOW, I HAVE GREAT AFFECTIONFOR YOU.

>> THE FEELING IS MUTUAL, JONNY.

>> Jon: YOU ARE A WARM HEARTEDMAN, I ENJOY YOU VERY MUCH.

THIS TOOK ME ABACK.

>> WHAT TOOK YOU ABACK MY WEIGHTLOSS.

>> Jon: FIRST OF ALL YOU LOOKVERY GOOD.

HOW MUCH WEIGHT DID YOU LOSE?

>> 75 POUNDS.

>> Jon: JENNY CRAIG.

TERRIFIC.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]YOU ARE AN ELOQUENT DEFENDER

OF LIBERTY -->> THANKS.

>> Jon: OF FREEDOM TO

THEN LISTEN TO YOUR COMMENTSABOUT SLAVERY SEEMS THE

ANTITHESIS, YOU SEEM TO DISCUSSIT IN COOL, RATIONAL ECONOMIC

TERMS RATHER THAN THE TERMS YOUUSE TO DESCRIBE LIBERTY.

>> MY DISCUSSION WAS ABOUTLINCOLN.

MY CONDEMNATION OF SLAVERY ISSECOND TO NONE.

YOU'VE READ MY BOOK DRED SCOTT'SREVENGE.

>> Jon: OH MY GOD. I'VE READ ITTWICE.

>> READY FOR A POP QUIZ? IT'S

THE STANDARD LIBERTARIAN ASSAULTON SLAVERY WHICH WAS THE

MOST HORRIFIC, AMORAL, UNNATURALINSTITUTION IN THE HISTORY

OF THE WORLD.

>> Jon: THEN LET ME ASK YOUTHIS

IF IT IS THE MOST AMORAL,UNNATURAL.

>> HORRIFIC.

>> Jon: THIS IDEA THAT IT WILLDIE A NATURAL DEATH SEEMS TO ME

TO BE THE ANTITHESIS OFSOMEONE WHO PRAISES THE

FOUNDERS TO WHAT YOU HAVE CALLEDTHE TYRANNY OF ENGLAND

THERE'S NOT ONE THINGON THE DECLARATION

OF INDEPENDENCE THAT RISESTO THE LEVEL OF SLAVERY.

>> THE DECLARATION OFINDEPENDENCE WAS WRITTEN AND

SIGNED BY SLAVE OWNERS.

>> Jon: EXACTLY.

>> IT'S THEIR MORAL DILEMMA THESAME PERSON WHO WROTE WE'REENDOWED

BY OUR CREATOR WITH CERTAINUNALIENABLE RIGHTS

-- THOMASJEFFERSON OWNED SLAVES.

>> Jon: BUT HOW DO YOU SQUARETHE CIRCLE? OF

PRAISING THEREVOLUTIONARY FOUNDERS GOING TO

WAR WITH LINCOLN NOT GOING TOWAR BUT STANDING BACK FOR THE

HOPE THAT THIS INSTITUTION WILLDIE A DEATH.

>> IF THE SLAVES HAD GONE TO WAR

AGAINST THEIR SLAVE OWNERS AND IHAD BEEN ALIVE, I WOULD HAVE

BEEN WITH THEM.

I WOULD HAVE HELPED FINANCE,FUND AND LEAD THAT REVOLT.

>> Jon: ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITHSLAVERY?

>> I'M VERY FAMILIAR WITH IT.

>> Jon: THAT IS NOT THEOPTION.

>> ACTUALLY ACTUALLY -->> Jon: WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A

MINUTE.

>> NO, NO, NO.

LINCOLN TRIED TO ARM THE SLAVES.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]>> Jon: BEAR WITH ME YOU WOULD

SUPPORT A SLAVE REBELLION ASBEING JUST.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Jon: BUT NOT THE FEDERALGOVERNMENT.

IF THERE'S EVER ANY REAL USE OFFEDERAL POWER THAT WOULD BE

JUSTIFIED, WOULD IT NOT BE TOEND THE MOST HORRIFIC ABHORRENT

PRACTICE IN THE HISTORY OFMANKIND?

>> AFTER IT HAD TRIED EVERYTHINGELSE LIKE ABOLISHING THE

FUGITIVE SLAVE ACT WHICH LINCOLNENFORCED AND HIS JUDGES ENFORCED

AND FEDERAL MARSHALS ENFORCEDUNTIL THE CIVIL WAR WAS OVER

LINCOLN WAS NEARLYDEAD.

>> Jon: SLAVERY WAS OUTLAWEDIN WHAT 1808.

>> YES.

>> Jon: ENGLAND OUTLAWED IT IN1833.

HOW MUCH LONGER DID PEOPLE HAVETO WAIT FOR IT TO DIE A NATURAL

DEATH?

>> BRAZIL OUTLAWED IT. SWEDENOUTLAWED IT.

>> Jon: BRAZIL IN 1890.

>> NORWAY OUTLAWED IT. THENORTHERN STATES ALL OF WHICH

HAD SLAVES OUTLAWED IT. IT WASON ITS WAY OUT.

>> Jon: WHY IS THE ONUS NOT ONLINCOLN AND NOT ON THE SOUTHERN

STATES?

THEY SECEDED?

LINCOLN DID NOT SECEDE?

THEY SECEDED FROM THE UNIONBEFORE HE TOOK OFFICE AS A

MATTER OF FACT.

>> THE LEADERS OF SOUTHERNSTATES PERPETUATED THIS IMMORAL

SYSTEM.

I HAVE NO PRAISE FOR THEMWHATSOEVER.

BUT LINCOLN COULD HAVE UNDONE ITWITHOUT SPENDING $6.6 BILLION.

>> Jon: HOW?

>> AND CAUSING DEATH OF 785,000HUMAN BEINGS.

>> Jon: HOW MANY DEATHS OFHUMAN BEINGS WERE CAUSED BY THE

AMERICAN SLAVE TRADE.

>> PROBABLY A MILLION AND AHALF.

>> Jon: TRY FIVE MILLION ORMORE, NOBODY COUNTED.

>> WHATEVER THE NUMBER IS THESLAVE TRADE IS TO BE CONDEMNED.

IT WAS OVER IN LINCOLN'SINFANCY.

THE SLAVE TRADE AS YOU JUSTPOINTED OUT

WAS OUTLAWED BY THETERMS OF CONSTITUTION IN 1808.

>> Jon: NO, NO, NO THAT WAS -->> LINCOLN'S JOB IS TO STOP THE

SLAVE TRADE IN THE U.S. WHICH HECOULD HAVE DONE FINANCIALLY AND

LEGALLY AND HE DIDN'T.

IF A SLAVE ESCAPED FROM SOUTHCAROLINA TO MASSACHUSETTS THE

BURDEN WAS ON MASSACHUSETTS'AUTHORITIES AND INDIVIDUALS

AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE TORETURN THAT SLAVE.

>> Jon: THAT WAS ONE OFGRIEVANCES THAT THE SOUTH PUT

OUT THERE.

>> LINCOLN PUT PEOPLE IN JAILWHO REFUSED TO DO THAT

HE COULD HAVE STOPPED ENFORCINGIT.

LINCOLN COULD HAVE SQUEEZED THESOUTH FINANCIALLY AND BOUGHT THE

SLAVES THEIR FREEDOM.

>> Jon: BUYING THE SLAVESFREEDOM I THINK IS NOT AS TRUE

AS YOU MIGHT BELIEVE.

HE TRIED TO DO IT IN THE BORDERSTATES.

HE OFFERED THEM MONEY FOR THEIRSLAVES IN THE BORDER STATES.

THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT HAD NOTEVEN SECEDED YET AND THEY

REFUSED.

>> THEY DIDN'T SECEDE UNTILLINCOLN STARTED KILLING PEOPLE.

BECAUSE IN THE BORDER STATES --

>> Jon: HE STARTED KILLINGPEOPLE BECAUSE THE SOUTH -- WHY

IS THE ONUS ON LINCOLN?

>> BECAUSE HE FIRED THE SHOTS.

NOT THE FIRST SHOT.

HE TRICKED SOUTH CAROLINA TOFIRING THE FIRST SHOT.

>> Jon: SO LINCOLN TRICKEDSOUTH CAROLINA --

[LAUGHTER]-- YOUR VISION OF THE CIVIL WAR

IS LINCOLN PULLED A FAST ONE --[LAUGHTER]

-- ON THE SOUTH.

>> YES.

AND YOU BELIEVE THAT AS WELL.

>> Jon: I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT.

[ LAUGHTER ]I DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO

BELIEVING THAT.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: JUDGE NAPOLITANO'S

BOOK "THEODORE AND WOODROW" ISON THE BOOK SHELVES NOW.

WE'RE GOING TO BE BACK.

WE'RE GOING TO TEST YOURKNOWLEDGE.

>> DO I HAVE TO STAY?>> Jon: DO YOU HAVE--

>> I KNOW WHAT ISCOMING.

>> Jon: IT'S FUN.

>> THEY ARE GREAT GUYS.

>> Jon: JUDGE ANDREWNAPOLITANO. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THESHOW.

LISTEN.

SO WE JUST DISCUSSED THE HISTORYOF SLAVERY THERE WITH MY FRIEND

JUDGE ANDREW NAPOLITANO AND IMEAN FRIEND.

I DO LOVE THIS MAN.

HE IS A WARM HEARTED AND GOODMAN.

WE'RE GOING TO DO IT NOW ON AGAME SHOW WE JUST INVENTED

CALLED THE WEAKEST LINCOLN.

[LAUGHTER]YOU'VE MET OUR FIRST CONTESTANT

JUDGE ANDREW NAPOLITANO. WHYDON'T WE MEET HIS OPPONENT

HE IS OBJECTIVELY AMERICA'SGREATEST PRESIDENT.

PLEASE WELCOME ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]♪

>> WHAT SUP, EVERYBODY.

WE HAVE AN ESTEEMEDPANEL OF JUDGES FROM THE CITY

UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORKDISTINGUISHED PROFESSOR JIM

OAKS.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]FROM UMASS AMHERST MENISHA SINHA

PROFESSOR OF AFROAMERICAN STUDIES AND WHAT IS THE

COLLEGE YOU'RE FROM?

>> COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY.

>> Jon: DEWIT CLINTON PROFESSOROF HISTORY MR. ERIC FONER.

WE'RE GOING TO GET RIGHT TO OURFIRST QUESTION.

WHY DID ABRAHAM LINCOLN STARTTHE CIVIL WAR?

YES, JUDGE NAPOLITANO?

>> BECAUSE HE WANTED TO PRESERVETHE UNION.

BECAUSE HE NEEDED THE TARIFFSFROM THE SOUTHERN STATES.

BECAUSE HE RESENTED THECHALLENGE TO HIS AUTHORITY.

>> Jon: ABRAHAM LINCOLN, YES.

>> THEY SHOT FIRST AND YOU DON'TMESS WITH LINCOLN.

ALL THE VAMPIRES KNOW WHAT I'MTALKING ABOUT.

[ LAUGHTER ]>> Jon: PANEL?

PROFESSOR OAKS ARE WHY DIDLINCOLN START THE CIVIL WAR?

>> BECAUSE THEY SHOT FIRST ANDYOU DON'T MESS WITH LINCOLN.

HERE WE GO.

WE TOUCHED ON THIS EARLIER, TOO.

INTERESTING QUESTION.

IF LINCOLN WANTED TO PURCHASEAND FREE EVERY SLAVE IN THE

UNITED STATES, HOW MUCH WOULDTHAT HAVE COST?

HOW MUCH?

MR. PRESIDENT LET'S GO WITHLINCOLN.

HOW MUCH WOULD IT HAVE COST?

LINCOLN KNOWS HOW MUCH IT COULDCOST.

>> WELL, IT COULD HAVE COST $3BILLION AND KEEP IN MIND I ONLY

CARRY $5 BILLS.

>> Jon: NO ANSWER.

THERE WERE ABOUT FOURMILLION SLAVES?

JUDGE DO YOU HAVE AN ANSWER?

THE NUMBERS ARE NOT EQUIVOCALBECAUSE YOU ARE TRYING TO TALK

ABOUT IT IN MODERN TERMS BUT IN1860 TERMS I'LL AGREE WITH THE

NUMBER, $3 BILLION LESS THANHALF OF WHAT IT COST TO FIGHT

THE CIVIL WAR AND REBUILD THESOUTH.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: PROFESSOR, WHAT IS THE

BILL FOR FREEING EVERYBODY?

>> THE $3 BILLION IS CORRECT.

>> THANK YOU, PROFESSOR.

[ LAUGHTER ]>> IT SHOULD BE NOTED IF YOU

WANTED TO BUY ALL THE FACTORIES,RAILROADS AND BANKS IN THE

COUNTRY AT THAT TIME IT WOULDHAVE COST YOU $2.5 BILLION.

THE SLAVES WERE BY FAR THELARGEST CONCENTRATION OF

PROPERTY IN THE COUNTRY.

THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TOBUY UP $3 BILLION WORTH OF

SLAVES AND MORE TO THE POINT THESOUTH WAS NOT WILLING TO SELL

THE SLAVES.

>> Jon: SO SLAVERY WASECONOMICALLY VIABLE FOR THE

SOUTH AT THAT TIME?

>> SLAVERY WAS NOT ONLYVIABLE; IT WAS GROWING.

THERE WERE MORE SLAVES IN THEUNITED STATES IN 1860 THAN THERE

EVER HAD BEEN BEFORE. THEIDEA IT WAS GOING TO DIE

OUT IS RIDICULOUS. IT WASTHRIVING AND GROWING ANDEXPANDING.

>> WOW.

>> Jon: WHEN HE SAYSRIDICULOUS WHAT HE MEANS IS GOOD

ANSWER.

[ LAUGHTER ]SEE ME AFTER CLASS.

[ LAUGHTER ]QUESTION THREE: IF THE GOAL

WAS TO AVOIDDEVASTATING CONSEQUENCES, HOW

DOES SLAVERY STACK UP TO THECIVIL WAR?

LINCOLN!

>> 500,000 PEOPLE CARRY THE FOURSCORE AND SEVEN -- YOU KNOW WHAT

I'M NOT EXACTLY A NUMBERSPERSON.

>> Jon: I UNDERSTAND.

JUDGE?

>> SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 785,000 AND800,000 HUMAN BEINGS DIED

BECAUSE OF LINCOLN'S WAR.

THAT'S MORE AMERICANS THAN ALLWARS PUT TOGETHER.

>> Jon: AND HOW MANY SLAVES?

>> I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TOHOW MANY SLAVES.

THAT WAS NOT IN THE ANSWERS TOTHE QUESTIONS YOU GAVE ME AHEAD

OF TIME.

>> Jon: YOU WERE SUPPOSED TOPRETEND WE WERE ALL SMART,

JUDGE.

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TELLTHEM WE HAD THE ANSWERS BEFORE

HAND.

[ LAUGHTER ]JUDGE!

WHAT IS THE HISTORICAL FACT?

>> NEARLY 12 MILLION AFRICANSWERE FORCIBLY REMOVED TO THE

AMERICANS IN THE AFRICAN SLAVETRADE.

BUT THE MOST CONSERVATIVEESTIMATE OF MORTALITY RATE

10-20%, 2-5 MILLIONMAY HAVE PERISHED.

>> YOU ARE TALKING DURING THECIVIL WAR OR THE SLAVE TRADE?

>> Jon: I THINK WE WERE DOINGTHE COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS OF THE

CIVIL WAR VERSUSTHE SLAVE TRADE.

>> THE SLAVE TRADE ENDED IN1808 FORTY YEARS BEFORE THECIVIL WAR.

>> RIGHT BUT IT EXISTED FOR FOURCENTURIES BEFORE THAT.

>> Jon: IT ENDED OFFICIALLYTHEY STILL DID THAT.

IN FACT ENGLAND USED TO PATROLTHE SEAS AND THEY WOULD CAPTURE

200,000, 300,000 SLAVES EVERYYEAR.

PLEASE TELL ME IT'S TRUE.

>> IT IS TRUE.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Jon: EVEN THEY HAD BANNED ITPEOPLE WERE USING PEOPLE AS

PROPERTY AND ISN'T THAT WHAT THEWAR WAS ABOUT?

>> THE PRESIDENT USED -- FORGIVEME, ABE.

>> IT'S FINE.

>> THE PRESIDENT USED FEDERALMARSHALS TO CHASE DOWN SLAVES

THAT ESCAPED AND RETURNED THEMTO THE SOUTH DURING THE CIVIL

WAR.

>> THAT'S NOT TRUE.

[ LAUGHTER ][CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

THAT IS ALL THE TIME WE HAVE FORTHE WEAKEST LINCOLN.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]>>Jon: THAT'S OUR SHOW.

HERE IT IS YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN.

>> UKRAINE'S REVOLUTION WASSUPPORTED

BY SOME OF THE MOST POWERFULPEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY

LIKE BILLIONAIRE PETROPOROSHENKO.

>> YOU DON'T CONSIDER YOURSELFAND OLIGARCH?

>> FOR SURE NOT -- BECAUSE

>> BUT YOU'RE THE SEVENTHRICHEST MAN IN UKRAINE.

>> NINTH.>> NINTH.

Loading...