May 4, 2010 - Rosalynn Carter

  • Episode: 15062
  • (0)

Police arrest the Times Square car bomb suspect, and Rosalynn Carter fights for mental health reform.

>> Jon: WELCOME TO "THE DAILY SHOW".

MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

PLEASE, PLEASE, SIT, SIT.

FORMER FIRST LADY ROSALYNN.

SO MUCH SHOW I HAVE TO GET RIGHT TO IT.

FORMER FIRST LADY ROSALYNN IS HERE.

SHE HAS A NEW BOOK OUT.

IT'S AN UNAUTHORIZED TELL-ALL ABOUT OPRAH.

[LAUGHTER]

I DON'T KNOW WHY SHE WROTE IT.

[LAUGHTER]

YESTERDAY WE SPOKE ABOUT NEW ORLEANS AND HOW POST KATRINA AND PRE-OIL SPILL-INA AND IT WAS

CLEAR THAT GOD WOULD NOT REST UNTIL NEW ORLEANS WAS DESTROYED.

IT'S SAD.

AROUND AMERICAN CITY WITH A RICH MUSICAL TRADITION, GREAT FOOD PERHAPS BECOMES A MEMORY.

AS MUCH AAS OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE IS AT RISK BUT AT LEAST WE AS AMERICANS SILL HAVE NASHVILLE.

OH, FOR -- NO, GOD!

NEW ORLEANS AND NASHVILLE?

YOU KNOW, IT SEEMS LIKE GOD ISN'T SO MUCH THE MAN UPSTAIRS BUT THE OLD MAN DOWNSTAIRS WHO

IS HITTING THE CEILING WITH THE BROOM TELLING US TO TURN THE MUSIC DOWN.

WEEKEND FLASH FLOODS OVERWHELM THE TENNESSEE RIVER UNDER UP TO TEN FEET OF WATER.

FIRST NEW ORLEANS, NOW NASHVILLE THIS COUNTRY'S GREAT MUSIC CITIES ARE DEVASTATED.

I MEAN WHAT IS NEXT?

DETROIT -- OH,.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU KNOW THE TENNESSEE FLOODS MIGHT NOT BE GETTING THE ATTENTION THEY DESERVE RIGHT NOW

BUT IT'S SUCH A GREAT AREA DOWN THERE.

I PLAYED A GIG DOWN THERE.

GREAT PEOPLE.

I WISH THEM WELL.

GOD, WHY -- GOD WHY MUST YOU TAKE NEW ORLEANS AND NASHVILLE WHEN PHILADELPHIA IS JUST (bleep).

IT'S JUST SITTING THERE.

[LAUGHTER]

[AUDIENCE REACTING] WHY WON'T YOU LET THE METS WIN?

WHY?

JUST BECAUSE THEY PLAY A BETTER BRAND OF BASEBALL.

OKAY, FINE.

[LAUGHTER]

ROY HALLADAY, REALLY?

YOU HAD TO ADD HALLADAY.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

MEANWHILE YOU GET RID OF@||||

AND TRADE HIM INTO THE DIVISION.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, REMEMBER THAT CAR IN TIMES SQUARE, THE ONE THEY FILLED WITH EXPLOSIVES?

BECAUSE -- SOME KIND OF FATWA THAT WAS ISSUED AGAINST THE BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP COMPANY BASED

ON THE NEW SHRIMP-FIDEL SAMPLER.

IT'S A WIDE ARRAY OF SHRIMP BASED DISHES THAT FOR SOME REASON USES ISLAMIC PUNS.

I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DID IT.

SOMEBODY THERE MUST THINK IT'S HILL-LAWLIOUS.

[LAUGHTER]

REMEMBER A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED OR WHO DID IT?

NOT ANYMORE?

>> POLICE MAKE AN ARREST IN THE FAILED BOMBING IN TIMES SQUARE TAKING A PAKISTANI U.S. BORN

CITIZEN INTO CUSTODY BEFORE HE TOOK OFF TO DOOBIE.

>> IN THE WORDS OF POLICE COMMISSIONER OF RAY KELLY IN NEW YORK, AN ARREST HAS BEEN MADE.

>> Jon: 53 HOURS GOOD OLD FASHIONED AMERICAN POLICE WORK.

WE'RE TALKING HUNCHES, GUYS WEARING EARPHONES DOING THIS.

GRIZZLED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS DAYS FROM RETIREMENT COMING BACK FOR ONE DAY.

WE WENT FROM IS THAT PATH FINDER DOUBLE PARKED TO YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT IN LESS

TIME THAN IT TAKES STING TO CLIMAX.

BOOM!

A LITTLE LESSON FOR KIDS AT HOME CHICKS DIG THE ELECTRIC LOOT.

54 HOURS, 55 HOURS IT WOFBL TOO LATE.

THEY GOT THIS GUY AT THE AIRPORT AS HE WAS FLYING TO DUBAI.

HERE IS HOW IT WENT DOWN.

THE ALLEGED BOMBER BOARDED THE FLIGHT, STARTED RELAXING.

THINKS HE IS HOME FREE BUT THE AUTHORITIES ARE HOT ON HIS TAIL THEY ARE YELLING, STOP THE PLANE!

STOP THE PLANE!

BUT IT'S TOO LATE.

THE PLANE IS PULLING AWAY.

THE PLANE IS LEAKING GAS AND ONE MAN HAS NO INTENTION OF LETTING THEM GET AWAY.

>> YIPPEEKI-A MOTHER (bleep).

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: VICTORY IS OURS!

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

ANYWAY --

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S HOW IT HAPPENED.

[LAUGHTER]

I THINK THAT'S HOW IT HAPPENED.

ANYWAY --

[LAUGHTER]

THE SUSPECT IS PAKISTANI BORN AMERICAN CITIZEN FAISAL SHAHZAD WHICH FREAKED ME OUT BECAUSE MY

DOCTOR PUT ME ON FAISAL.

JON, RUB IT TWO TABLETS OF FAISAL ON THE AREA.

IT SHOULD CLEAR UP IN A WEEK OR TWO.

IF YOU DON'T MIND I'LL CHECK YOUR PROSTATE.

BUT YOU ARE A DERMATOLOGIST.

FAISAL IS IN CUSTODY.

THEY READ HIM HIS MIRANDA RIGHTS ALTHOUGH NOT EVERYONE THOUGHT IT WASN'T A GOOD IDEA.

>> I WONDER IF THEY'VE ALREADY GIVEN HIM MIRANDA RIGHTS.

>> OBVIOUSLY THAT WOULD BE A SERIOUS MISTAKE.

>> Jon: I DIDN'T WANT TO DO THIS, SENATOR BECAUSE I DO STILL HAVE A LITTLE LOVE FOR YOU.

THIS NEXT CLIP IS GOING TO HURT ME AS MUCH AS IT IS GOING TO HURT YOU, CHUCK.

ROLL TAPE OF SOMEONE BEING FAR MORE REASONABLE ABOUT READING THE RIGHTS.

>> HE HAS ALL OF THE RIGHTS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION.

>> IF HE KNOWS INFORMATION THAT COULD WIPE OUT SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY YOU DON'T

WANT THAT?

>> AGAIN, IT'S NOT A POPULAR ANSWER BUT IT'S -- WE SHRED THE CONSTITUTION.

♪ MEMORIES LIKE THE --

[LAUGHTER]

I'M GETTING TOO OLD FOR THIS (bleep).

OF COURSE, WE'RE GRATEFUL FOR THE QUICK ARREST NOT ONLY FOR

EVERYONE'S SAFETY BUT IT NIPS IN THE BUD WHAT WAS BECOMING AN UGLY CASE OF RACIAL PROFILING.

ITS POSSIBLE SUSPECT DESCRIBED AS A WHITE MALE IN HIS MID 40'S.

>> EARLIER TAPES SHOW A WHITE MALE IN THE 40s THEY WANT TO QUESTION.

>> THE GUY IS DESCRIBED AS A WHITE MALE IN HIS 40s.

HE IS SEEN STOPPING TO TAKE OFF A SWEATSHIRT.

>> Jon: WE HAVE FOOTAGE OF A MIDDLE AGED WHITE GUY IN TIMES SQUARE.

IT MUST BE THE BOMBER.

IF IT'S NOT THE BOMBER HE HAS HOOKER BLOOD ON HIM.

HE'S A MIDDLE AGED WHITE GUY.

HERE WE GO AGAIN, THE WHITE GUY DID IT.

SAME OLD STORY WHETHER IT'S FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE OR CATASTROPHIC OIL LEAK OR

FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE.

[LAUGHTER]

PIN THE TAIL ON THE HONKY.

WELL I'VE HAD IT.

[LAUGHTER]

DON'T GET ME WRONG.

THE WHITE COMMUNITY IS USED TO IT.

COPS TREAT US DIFFERENTLY.

IT'S GOTTEN SO BAD DRUNK WHITE GUYS CAN'T RUN ACROSS THE BASEBALL FIELD WITHOUT BEING

IT'S AD BY THE MAN.

THAT'S CLEARLY RACIAL PROFILING.

AS MUCH AS I THINK APRIL TENDANCE WOULD RISE 30% TO 40% IF ALL MAJOR LEAGUE BARKS --

BALLPARKS WOULD REPLACE THEIR 7th INNING STRETCH ACTIVITIES WITH THAT.

RACIAL PROFILING.

LET'S SEE IT AGAIN.

UNCAGE THE BOY.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.

IT'S A HIM NOW!

HAIL CAESAR.

MY POINT IS THIS.

NEXT TIME YOU HEAR ABOUT A BANK DEAL GONE AWRY OR WITNESS AN AS NINE STADIUM STUNT TOUR SEE A

WHITE GUY COMING OUT OF HOME DEPOT LOADING FERTILIZER AND EXPLOSIVES INTO HIS S.U.V. DON'T

ASK FOR OUR||||

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

OBVIOUSLY THESE ARE DIFFICULT TIMES AND SMALL BUSINESSES NEVER HAVE AN EASY GO OF IT BUT IN

THIS CURRENT ECONOMIC CLIMATE IT'S BEEN ESPECIALLY UNKIND TO SMALL BUSINESS.

JASON JONES FILED THIS REPORT.

>> DENVER, COLORADO, JEWEL OF THE ROCKIES.

IT'S A BIG CITY THAT HAS MAINTAINED IT'S SMALL TOWN APPEAL BY KEEPING THE CHARACTER

OF LOCAL BUSINESSES ALIVE.

BUSINESSES LIKE JASON'S DELTA 9.

>> WE PUT A LOT OF LOVE INTO OUR PRODUCT BECAUSE WE'RE HELPING PEOPLE WHICH IS THE KEY.

>> HE RUNS THIS CHARMING MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY IN DOWNTOWN INSIDE THIS QUAINT CONCRETE STOREFRONT.

BUT HIS LIVELIHOOD IS THREATENED BY A RASH OF NEW COMPETITION LIKE THIS 20,000 SQUARE FOOT

WEED SUPERSTORE THAT OPENED JUST UP THE STREET.

IT'S A POT PALACE OFFERING HUNDREDS OF VARIETIES OF EXOTIC CAN BUS TO SERVE DENVER'S SICK

POPULATION AT ROCK BOTTOM PRICES.

THEY ARE NOT JUST SELLING MEDICINE THEY ARE SELLING A LIFESTYLE TO 24 CAR YACHT GOLD

MEDICAL ACCESSORIES TO OTHER THINS.

>> THIS IS OUR WELLNESS ROOM.

THE MASSAGE ROOM AND CHIROPRACTIC TABLE WHERE PEOPLE GET ADJUSTMENTS.

>> IT MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR JASON.

>> SOME OF THE PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PLANT AND THEY ARE AFTER THE BUCK.

>> DO YOU FEEL LIKE THEY ARE MAYBE TRYING TO PUT SMALLER MOM AND POP STORE LIKE YOURS OUT OF BUSINESS.

IT'S HAPPENING LEFT AND RIGHT EVERY SINGLE DAY.

>> HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS?

>> FOUR MONTHS.

>> HIS FOUR LONG MONTHS OF WORK IS JEOPARDIZED.

>> THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT GOT INTO THE INDUSTRY HAVING A HARD TIME.

>> THEY ARE ALL STONED.

>> IT'S MEDICATED.

>> SORRY.

MEDICATED.

>> AND JOHNNY-COME-LATELIES LIKE SCOTT OWNER OF APOT CAREY OF COLORADO ARE USING THE MOST

USELESS -- RUTHLESS TACTICS AVAILABLE.

>> EVERYTHING IN HERE IS INFUSED WITH POT, CANDY BARS, LOLLIPOPS,

EVERYTHING IS MADE OF POP.

EVERYTHING SKWROFRPBG POTENT.

--

>> POTENT.

>> IT'S PART OF PLAN TO DOMINATE THE MARKET.

>> IT'S VICIOUS COMPETITION.

PEOPLE HAVE TO GO.

>> IT'S BLOOD ON YOU, SIR.

>> IT'S NOT BLOOD IT'S BUSINESS.

IF YOU ARE A DISPENSARY AND YOU WANT PATIENT AND I WANT THE SAME PATIENT, IT'S WHO IS OFFERING

THE BEST SERVICES.

WE'RE IN THE IN IT TO GET PEOPLE HIGH.

>> GETTING MEDICATED.

>> IT'S ALL THE SAME.

>> IT'S NOT THE SAME FOR HIM.

>> WE'RE NOT PUSHING THE COMMODITY.

IT'S ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT.

PRODUCTS THAT HAVE STOOD THE TEST OF TIME LIKE AK-47, TRAIN WRECK AND GREEN CRACK BUT BIG

POT EVEN WANTS TO CHANGE THAT.

>> THE STRAIN IS PRODUCTIVE.

>> THESE ARE CLASSIC NAMES.

>> GREEN CRACK.

>> NO ONE WANTS THAT WE CALL IT GREEN FUZZY BUNNY.

YOU ARE TAKING AWAY THE LINEAGE OF THE STRAIN.

IT'S GOOD MEDICINE.

>> JUST LIKE REGULAR CRACK.

>> YOU SAY THOSE WORDS.

YOU DON'T WANT TO SAY THAT IN FRONT OF YOUR DAUGHTER AND SON.

THERE'S RESPONSIBILITY.

>> IT'S BETTER TO SMOKE YOUR KID UP ON BROWN FLUFFY BUNNIES.

>> HELL, YEAH.

>> ISN'T IT LIKE BIG POT TO TAKE THE SAME DRUG, CHANGE THE NAME AND SELL IT FOR $5 MORE.

THIS PROFESSIONAL POT REVIEWER SEES THIS BATTLE AS HEALTHY COMPETITION.

EA AGREED TO SPEAK WITH US ON THE CONDITION THAT WE CONCEAL HIS IDENTITY.

[LAUGHTER]

>> I DON'T THINK I CAN KEEP DOING THIS SO WE'LL DO SOMETHING ELSE TO YOUR FACE.

[COUGHING]

>> PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR DIFFER THINGS OUT OF DIFFERENT SHOPS.

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO RUN OUT AND GRAB A McDONALDS CHEESEBURGER AND SOME PEOPLE

WANT TO GO TO A STEAKHOUSE.

>> NOW MY HAND IS CUBED.

>> WHILE IT'S UNCLEAR HOW THE CONFLICT WILL BE RESOLVED THE

ONE THING THAT IS CLEAR IS: OH,

MY GOD LOOK AT HOW MUCH POT YOU CAN LEGALLY BUY IN DENVER.

>> EVE||||

>> WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT FORMER FIRST LADY OF THESE UNITED STATES.

HER NEW BOOK IS CALLED "WITHIN OUR REACH: ENDING THE MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS."

PLEASE WELCOME ROSALYNN.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

NICE TO MEET YOU.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

SO NICE TO SEE YOU.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

>> GLAD TO BE HERE.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING US.

>> WE'RE DELIGHTED.

I'M SO TIRED OF TALKING TO YOUR HUSBAND.

[LAUGHTER]

SO NICE TO HAVE YOU ON THE PROGRAM.

>> I'M GLAD BE HERE.

>>

>> Jon: YOU'VE BEEN WORKING IN MENTAL HEALTH AND BEING AN

ADVOCATE SINCE PRESIDENT CARTER WAS A GOVERNOR, IS THAT CORRECT?

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

39 YEARS.

I STOPPED COUNTING.

>> Jon: HAVE YOU FELT PROGRESS FOR THE UNITED STATES?

DO YOU FEEL LIKE OUR MENTAL HEALTH IS STRONGER?

ARE WE MORE AWARE OR LESS AWARE?

HOW DO YOU SUM IT UP?

>> I'VE BEEN WORKING IN THE FIELD FOR 39 YEARS.

AND MENTAL HEALTH SITUATION IS NO BETTER THAN IT WAS WHEN I STARTED.

>> Jon: REALLY?

IS IT YOUR FAULT OR NO?

[LAUGHTER]

>> WELL, I WAS THINKING THAT MAYBE I FAILED.

>> Jon: NOT AT ALL.

THE FACT THAT YOU'VE HAD THE PRESENCE OF MIND AND TENACITY TO STAY WITH IT WHEN IT'S SO

FRUSTRATING --

>> I'VE BEEN WORKING ON MENTAL HEALTH SINCE PEOPLE IN THOSE BIG

INSTITUTIONS AND THERE WERE EXPOSE�S ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

AND COMMUNITY HEALTH BILL PASSED IN 1966.

I CAMPAIGNED FOR JIMMY IN 1966.

THEY WERE MOVING PEOPLE OUT BEFORE THERE WERE COMMUNITY CENTERS AVAILABLE.

EVERY DAY SOMEBODY ASKED ME WHAT MY HUSBAND WOULD DO FOR LOVED ONES AT CENTRAL STATE HOSPITAL.

ONE NIGHT I WAS AT A -- WE HAD A DISORGANIZED CAMPAIGN THAT TIME.

>> Jon: THIS WAS THE FIRST ONE THE GUBERNATORIAL CAMPAIGN.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

ANYWAY, I WENT TO A RALLY AND HE WAS THERE.

IT WAS DISORGANIZED.

WE GO IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS RIDING AROUND.

HE WAS COMING TO THE SAME TOWN.

I GOT IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM AND I GOT IN LINE WITH PEOPLE AND I WENT UP TO SHAKE HIS HAND.

HE TOOK MY HAND AND SAID, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

SO I SAID I CAME TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO FOR PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTHAL -- MENTAL

ILLNESS WHEN YOU ARE GOVERNOR.

>> HE SAID WE'LL HAVE THE BEST PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY AND I'LL

PUT YOU IN CHARGE OF IT.

>> Jon: THANK GOD.

IMAGINE HE SAID, SECURITY AND THEN THE HULLABALOO THAT ENSUED.

JIMMY CARTER THROWS ROSALYNN OUT OF A RALLY.

HAS BEEN BEEN EASIER FOR PEOPLE WHO SUFFER BECAUSE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND MENTAL HEALTH BETTER.

PEOPLE WOULD PUT SOMEONE AWAY WITH CEREBRAL PALSY AWAY.

>> WE DIDN'T DEINSTITUTIONALIZE WE INSTITUTIONALIZED.

THE JAILS AND PRISONS ARE THE LARGEST MENTAL HEALTH FACILITIES IN THE COUNTRY.

YOU CAN GET MONEY FOR PRISONS NOT MENTAL HEALTH.

I WROTE THIS BOOK BECAUSE I'M SO FRUSTRATED.

>> Jon: YOU SEEM LIKE YOU CAN ABOUT TO BECOME VIOLENT.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT THIS IS -- THERE ARE CHILDREN WATCHING AND I DON'T WANT TO

HAVE TO HAVE PEOPLE RESTRAIN YOU.

>> BUT I HAD A GOVERNOR COMMISSION, A PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION ADD A REALLY GOOD

PROGRAM AT THE CARTER FOUNDATION AND ONE OF OUR PROGRAMS IS MENTAL HEALTH FOR JOURNALISTS.

>> Jon: FOR TRAUMATIC STRESS.

>> IT'S FOR THE SUBJECT.

SOME OF THEM HAVE PTSD.

I THOUGHT IF YOU APPLIED I WOULD BE SURE WE CHOSE YOU.

4R56 LAUGH.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: VERY KIND OF YOU.

THANK YOU.

AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO WRITE AN ESSAY, I WOULD BE FINE.

>> I WANTED TO COME TO SEE YOU BECAUSE I NEED HELP.

>> Jon: ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ADVOCATES.

>> OUR STIGMA IS SO BAD.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR AUDIENCE, I DON'T MEAN HERE, I MEAN THAT WATCH YOU.

>> Jon: ARE MENTALLY ILL?

>> ONE IN FOUR AMERICANS.

>> Jon: ONE IN FOUR AMERICANS.

IS IT DIFFICULT TO CLASSIFY NOW?

IS IT PEOPLE THAT SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION OR IS IT A SPECTRUM --

>> IT'S A SPECTRUM, DEPRESSION,

SCHIZOPHRENIA, BIPOLAR, ANXIETY,

ALL KINDS OF MENTAL ILLNESS.

>> Jon: IS THE IDEA TO ALLOW PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS TO RECONNECT WITH THEIR LIVES.

WHAT IS THE EFFICACY OF THESE THERAPIES?

HAVE YOU FOUND NOT A MAGIC BULLET BUT A MIX A COCKTAIL THAT WORKS BEST FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE

FALLEN DOWN THIS --

>> NO X-RAYS, NO BLOOD TESTS,

NOTHING LIKE THIS.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING FROM THE BOOK.

RECOVERY.

PEOPLE CAN RECOVER NOW.

>> Jon: THEY CAN?

>> THEY CAN.

>> Jon: AND YOU'VE SEEN THIS.

>> I HAVE.

>> Jon: PEOPLE GO DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE AND THEY NEVER SEEM TO COME BACK.

MAYBE WE EXPECT TOO MUCH.

>> SO MANY GOOD THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.

THE SAD PART IS WE HAVEN'T TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IT.

WE'VE GOT NEW MEDICATIONS BECAUSE OF RESEARCH ON THE BRAIN.

PEOPLE CAN LEAD -- PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES CAN LEAD FULFILLING LIVES.

BUT WE ALSO -- THERE'S A CONSUMER MOVEMENT THAT CONSUMERS GOT TOGETHER, SOME THAT HAVE HAD

BAD SITUATIONS WITH THE PUBLIC HEALTH SYSTEM AND STARTING TALKING ABOUT HELPING EACH OTHER.

AND NOW THEY ARE INVOLVED -- THEY ALL SHOULD BE BUT NOT -- IT'S BEGINNING TO HAPPEN --

INVOLVED THE CONSUMERS WITH SOMEONE LIVING WITH MENTAL ILLNESS IN TREATMENT.

AFPD I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE RECOVER THAT HAVE LIVED WITH BIPOLAR FOR TEN YEARS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

>> Jon: MAYBE WITH ALL THE FRUSTRATION AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS MAYBE THAT KEEPS YOU

GOING, THAT PROGRESS.

>> ONE THING THAT IS REALLY DIFFICULT IS THE MEDIA.

>> Jon: RIGHT?

WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME?

>> WELL, THAT'S WHY I CAME TO SEE YOU.

>> Jon: BECAUSE THE STIGMA BECAUSE OF WHAT IS PUT OUT THERE?

>> WHEN THERE'S AN INCIDENT.

IF YOU LOOK AT THEM ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION IT'S THE MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM THAT FAILED THEM.

>> Jon: THAT'S THE SYSTEM THAT HAS TO BE REFORMED.

>> WE HAVE TO HAVE YOU SAY GOOD THINGS AND IF YOU GET MY FELLOWSHIP, YOU CAN -- WE CAN

TEACH YOU A LOT.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Jon: I COULD CERTAINLY LEARN A LOT.

I WOULD LIKE A FELLOWSHIP.

WITHIN OUR REACH ROSALYNN -- YOU KNOW YOU WORK IN THIS FIELD AND YOUR -- YOU'RE FILLED WITH GOODNESS.

YOU DON'T MEET A LOT OF PEOPLE AND YOU THINK THAT PERSON IS FILLED WITH||||

>> Jon:S THAT OUR SHOW.

JOIN US TOMORROW NIGHT AT 11:00.

HERE IT IS YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN.

>> MICHAEL BROWN THE FORMER FEMA DIRECTOR JOINING US NOW.

>> I'M MAKING AN ASSUMPTION THAT EVEN THOUGH BP MAY HAVE BEEN

TELLING THE COAST GUARD AND OTHERS WE'RE DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN, E.P.A. SHOULD HAVE BEEN

THERE THEMSELVES VERIFYING

Loading...