June 19, 2014 - Hamid Al-Bayati

  • Episode: 19122
  • (0)

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office revokes the Redskins' trademark, Republicans find new ways to deny climate change, and Hamid Al-Bayati discusses the crisis in Iraq.

>> Jon: WELCOME TO "THE DAILYSHOW."

MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

WE HAVE A SHOW FOR YOUTONIGHT.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, THE FORMERIRAQ AMBASSADOR TO THE UNITED

NATIONS, HAMID AL-BAYATI, WILLBE ON THE SHOW TONIGHT, AUTHOR

OF THE BOOK "FROM DICTATORSHIPTO DEMOCRACY," WHICH I IMAGINE

FOR THE PAPERBACK THERE WILLPROBABLY OBVIOUSLY BE AN

ADDENDUM, DEPENDING ONWHERE IT GOES NEXT.

BUT FIRST, YOU KNOW, SOMETIMES ALEGAL RULING COMES DOWN THAT

MAKES EVERYONE SAY, WHAT?

WE'RE JUST GETTING AROUND TOTHAT NOW?

LIKE WHEN MISSISSIPPI FINALLYRATIFIED THE 13th AMENDMENT

BANNING SLAVERY.

[LAUGHTER]UM, LAST YEAR.

LAUGHTER OR WHEN THE SUPREMECOURT RULED RECENTLY YOU CAN NO

LONGER USE KITTENS FOR SKEETSHOOTING.

[LAUGHTER][AUDIENCE REACTS]

BEFORE YOU, OH, THAT CAT DOESLOOK LIKE IT'S ATTACKING.

IT MAY JUST BE THE VISUAL.

THAT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE HAPPYKITTY.

BUT THESE LEGAL DECISIONS ARETHE SUBJECT OF OUR NEW SEGMENT

"JON STEWART."

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]I HAD SAID WE SHOULDN'T DO THAT

ONE SO IF WE CAN JUST... IDON'T THINK THAT THAT... I DON'T

THINK THAT THAT... I DON'T THINKTHAT THAT'S BETTER...

[LAUGHTER][CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S NOT EVEN A LEGAL PUN.

THAT'S JUST... THERE YOU GO!

"THURSDAY NIGHT LAW."

ANYWAY, OUR FIRST STORY INVOLVESA SPORTS FRANCHISE WHOSE NAME IS

A BIT OF A QUAINT REFERENCE TOTHE PERCEIVED COLOR OF THE SKIN

OF THE PEOPLE WHO SPENT A COUPLEOF THOUSAND YEARS PREPARING THIS

COUNTRY FOR US TO DISCOVER.

>> TODAY THE U.S. PATENT OFFICEREVOKED THE TEAM'S TRADEMARK,

CALLING THE NAME A RACIAL SLURIN BLATANT VIOLATION IN

PROHIBITION AGAINST DISPARAGINGTRADEMARKS.

>> Jon: WHOA, THEY SAID THEYNO LONGER HAVE THE NAME BECAUSE

IT'S A RACIAL SLUR. YOU KNOW,THAT'S THE SAME REASON WHY

NOTRE DAME HAD TO CHANGE THEIRMONIKER TO "THE FIGHTING IRISH"

FROM "THE DRUNK GOOD FORNOTHING FIGHTING IRISH."

PLEASE, PLEASE SEND YOURANGRY LETTERS TO BRIAN WILLIAMS

CARE OF NBC NEWS. SO THEREDSKINS NO LONGER OWN THE

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO THEIR OWNNAME, MEANING ANYONE IS FREE

TO FLOOD THE MARKET WITHREDSKINS BRANDED PRODUCTS OF ANY

KIND FROM BUTT CREAMS TO, IDON'T KNOW, REDSKINS OWNER

SIZED CONDOMS. THAT'SAN ACTUAL PENNY.

ALL I'M SAYING IS THE REDSKINS'OWNER HAS A TINY [BLEEPED].

WHAT?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THECONTROVERSY IS.

PERHAPS NOW REDSKINS' OWNERDANIEL SNYDER WILL FINALLY

CONCEDE THAT THIS NAME IS NOLONGER TENABLE.

>> TODAY THE TEAM SAID IT WOULDAPPEAL.

THE OWNER OF THE TEAM, DANIELSNYDER, HAS REFUSED TO CHANGE

THE NAME CITING TRADITION.

>> Jon: OH, TRADITION.

SO YOUR ARGUMENT IN KEEPING YOURNAME IS YOU CAN'T JUST COME IN

HERE AND TAKE OVER OUR ANCESTRALPROPERTY IS WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.

YOU'RE SAYING... I GUESS WHATYOU'RE SAYING IS WE HAD IT

FIRST.

IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS, IT WOULDBE LIKE THIS I GUESS, IF A GROUP

OF PEOPLE TAUGHT YOU HOW THESURVIVE A HARSH WINTER AND THEN

YOU INVITED THAT GROUP OF PEOPLETO A FEAST TO SHOW YOUR

GRATITUDE TO THEM FOR HELPINGYOU TO SURVIVE AND THEN AFTER

DESSERT LET'S SAY YOU KILLEDTHEM AND TOOK THEIR LAND AND

THEN YEARS LATER TO COMMEMORATETHAT DAY, YOU HELD AN

ANNUAL FEAST THAT INCLUDED ASPORTING EVENT IN WHICH ONE

OF THE PARTICIPATING TEAM'SNAMES WAS A DEROGATORY TERM FOR

THE ORIGINAL PEOPLE THATYOU HAD KILLED.

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE REDSKINS!

THE REDSKINS, NOT THE PACKERS.

SWITCH IT.

GET A NEW NAME ALREADY.

IT'S THE 21st CENTURY.

HARD TO THINK OF ANY OTHERCHANGE THAT'S THIS LONG OVERDUE.

>> A NEW BILL IN JAPAN OUTLAWSTHE POSSESSION OF CHILD

PORNOGRAPHY.

>> Jon: DID NOT SEE THATCOMING.

[LAUGHTER]DID YOU SAY "A NEW BILL-- A NEW

BILL." THAT MAKES JAPANMAYBE THE ONLY COUNTRY

TO INVENT A ROBOT WHO CAN MAKEPANCAKES BEFORE

OUTLAWING THE POSSESSION OFCHILD PORNOGRAPHY.

NOW THAT WE'VE GOT THE PANCAKEROBOT, MAYBE WE SHOULD DO THAT.

I REALLY HOPE THIS IS JUSTBECAUSE JAPAN HAS NO CHILD PORN.

AND THEN THEY PASS THISLEGISLATION IN CASE ANYONE EVER

GOT IT, YOU KNOW, LIKE OUR VOTERI.D. LAWS TO PREVENT FRAUD.

IT'S JUST THEORETICAL, RIGHT.

>> ON THE STREETS OF TOKYOSEX SELLS, MAGAZINES AND

VIDEOS, SO SEXUALLY EXPLICIT,PORNOGRAPHIC ILLUSTRATIONS OF

YOUNG GIRLS ENGAGED IN VIOLENTSEX OFTENTIMES WITH OLDER MEN.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: I THINK WE ALL OWE

GODZILLA AN APOLOGY.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]ANYWAY, I GUESS,

CONGRATULATIONS, JAPAN, BETTERLATE THAN NEVER.

>> BUT GRAPHIC CARTOONS, EVENONES SHOWING KIDS BEING RAPED,

WILL STAY LEGAL.

WHY?

BECAUSE ANIME ANIMATION ANDMANGA COMICS ARE A MULTIBILLION

DOLLAR INDUSTRY WITH POLITICALAND LOBBYING POWER.

>> Jon: THAT IS EMBARRASSING,JAPAN.

THAT IS EMBARRASSING.

HOW CAN A LOBBY FOR HARMFUL,DESTRUCTIVE INDUSTRY TAKE

PRECEDENCE OVER THE PROTECTIONOF CHILDREN?

I AM FRANKLY... I AM...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]I AM SHOCKED.

I AM UPSET.

SPEAKING OF, SPEAKING OFAMERICA'S NATIONAL WEAPON, THE

GUN, THE SUPREME COURT RECENTLYHEARD A CASE INVOLVING SAID

CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTEDFREEDOM MAKER.

>> BRUCE ABRAMSKI WAS A FORMERVIRGINIA POLICE OFFICER.

HE OFFERED TO BUY THE GUN FORHIS UNCLE WHO LIVED IN

PENNSYLVANIA BECAUSE HE THOUGHTHE COULD GET A DISCOUNT.

THE UNCLE GAVE HIM THE MONEYWHEN HE BOUGHT THE GUN.

HE CHECKED THE BOX ON A FORMTHAT ASKED IF HE WAS THE ACTUAL

BUYER.

>> Jon: I DON'T SEE THEPROBLEM THERE.

HE MERELY LIED TO THE FEDERALGOVERNMENT ON A FORM IN ORDER TO

DEFRAUD A GUN DEALER OF AFULL-PRICE SALE. I DON'T,

LOOK, I'M SURE THE FORMS ARECONFUSING.

IT'S NOT LIKE THE FORM CLEARLYSTATES, "QUESTION 11A: ARE YOU

THE ACTUAL BUYER.

WARNING, YOU ARE NOT THE ACTUALBUYER IF YOU ARE ACQUIRING THE

FIREARM ON BEHALF OF ANOTHERPERSON. I UNDERSTAND THAT

ANSWERING YES TO QUESTION 11A IFI'M NOT THE ACTUALY BUYER IS A

CRIME PUNISHABLE AS AFELONY UNDER FEDERAL LAW."

THAT COULD MEAN ANYTHING.

[LAUGHTER]I'M NOT A LEGAL SCHOLAR, BUT I'M

GUESSING THIS IS GOING TO BRINGUS ONE OF THEM WHATCHU CALL

IT THERE 9-0 DECISIONS INTHE SUPREME COURT.

>> IN A 5-4 DECISION, THE COURTRULED THAT THE BUYERS MUST TELL

THE TRUTH WHEN THEY ARE BUYINGGUNS FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

>> Jon: WHAT?

WAIT.

SO FOUR JUSTICES, FOUR JUSTICESON THE NATION'S HIGHEST COURT

RULED THAT WHEN BUYING GUNS, YOUCAN LIE.

>> AS SOON AS I BUY IT, I WALKOUT OF THE STORE AND I MEET THIS

GUY IN THE PARKING LOT.

HE SAYS, HEY, THAT'S ANIFTY-LOOKING GUN THERE.

HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR IT?

HE SAYS, YOU KNOW, I PAID $600.

I'LL GIVE YOU $700.

IT'S YOURS.

RIGHT?

I CAN HAND IT TO HIM, CAN'T I?

>> Jon: YES, AND THEN HE CANGET HIS $700 BACK AT WHAT I CAN

ONLY ASSUME IS GUNPOINT.

SO, YES, THERE IS APPARENTLY NOPROHIBITION ON TRANSFERRING THE

GUN AFTER YOU BUY IT, SO WHAT'SYOUR POINT, SCALIA?

>> THE NOTION THAT THE GUN WOULDSOMEHOW GET INTO THE HANDS OF

SOMEBODY WHO, YOU KNOW, WHOWASN'T REGISTERED OR COULDN'T

BUY IT HIMSELF, I MEAN, THAT'SGOING TO HAPPEN ANYWAY.

WHAT YOU ASSERT DOES NOT STOPTHAT PROBLEM.

>> Jon: SCALIA IS ACTUALLYREFERRING TO THE

PRECEDENT-MAKING CASE BLEEPHAPPENS V.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? IGUESS THE REAL TAKEAWAY IS

THIS, THIS IS WHAT'S CRAZY. SO,SO THE REAL TAKEAWAY FROM THIS

IS, SO YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWEDTO BUY A GUN AT A GUN

STORE AFTER GOING THROUGH SOMETYPE OF QUESTIONNAIRE BACKGROUND

CHECK.

BUT THEN YOU CAN JUST SELL IT ORGIVE IT TO THE FIRST PERSON YOU

SEE IN A PARKING LOT.

SO MY ADVICE TO YOU IS THE NEXTTIME YOU SEE A GUY COME AT YOU

IN PARKING LOT WAVING A GUN,DON'T BE AFRAID.

HE'S JUST EXCITED AT WHAT AGREAT DEAL HE JUST GOT.

[LAUGHTER]WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THESHOW.

NOW, PEOPLE ARE ALWAYSCOMPLAINING.

PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS COMPLAININGTHAT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY

IGNORES SO-CALLED CLIMATE CHANGESCIENCE, BUT THERE IS A REASON

WHY THEY REFUSE TO LISTEN TOALARMISTS.

>> GLOBAL WARMING IS A TOTALFRAUD.

>> A DOG AND PONY SHOW FOR THEIRLIBERAL DONORS.

>> THE PRESIDENT CONTINUESPURSUING THIS GLOBAL WARMING

AGENDA.

>> IT'S REALLY A HOAX.

>> Jon: A HOAX!

IT'S LIKE WAR OF THE WORLDS IFTHERE HAD BEEN OVERWHELMING

EVIDENCE THAT ALIENS HAD LANDEDIN NEW JERSEY.

SO THE REPUBLICANS ARE NOT GOINGTO FALL FOR LIBERAL LIES

ANYMORE. WHICH ISWHY YESTERDAY THEY GOT TO

FINALLY HEAR THE FACTS FROM SOMEOF THEIR OWN.

>> THE E.P.A. ADMINISTRATORS FORFOUR REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS HAVE

URGED LAWMAKERS TO TAKE ACTIONON CLIMATE CHANGE TODAY.

THE FORMER E.P.A. ADMINISTRATORSONCE WORKED FOR RICHARD NIXON,

GEORGE H.W. BUSH AND HIS SON ANDRONALD REAGAN.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: NIXON, DOUBLE BUSH,

THE GREAT REAGAN HIMSELF,BLESSED BE THY NAME.

YOU KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO WORKFOR THOSE TITANS OF HISTORY

ARE GONNA GIVE US THE STRAIGHTDOPE.

LISTEN UP, TREE-HUGGERS.

>> WE BELIEVE THERE ISLEGITIMATE SCIENTIFIC DEBATE

OVER THE PACE AND EFFECTS OFCLIMATE CHANGE, BUT NO

LEGITIMATE DEBATE OVER THEEFFECTS OF THE EARTH'S WARMING

OR MAN'S CONTRIBUTION.

>> THE ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED,THE E.P.A. DOES HAVE THE

AUTHORITY.

THE LAW SAYS SO.

THE SUPREME COURT HAS SAID SOTWICE.

THAT MATTER I BELIEVE SHOULD NOWBE PUT TO REST.

>> Jon: TRAITORS!

TRAITORS!

BRING ME MY SMELLING TURDS.

CLIMATE CHANGE WARNINGS ANDE.P.A. EMPOWERMENT COMING FROM

ACTUAL REPUBLICANS?

THAT'S LIKE BEING TOLD PIZZACAUSES CANCER BY THE TEENAGE

MUTANT NINJA TURTLES WHO LOVEPIZZA.

IT'S GOING TO BE PRETTY HARD FORG.O.P.

SENATORS TO ARGUE WITH THIS.

>> I'M NOT A SCIENTIST.

BUT I'M AN OPTOMETRIST.

I SPENT MUCH OF MY LIFE WORKINGWITH THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY.

I WAS A ZOOLOGY MAJOR.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: "SO IF THIS HEARING IS

ABOUT A ZEBRA WITH ANASTIGMATISM, I'M YOUR GUY.

I'M YOUR GUY."

WELL, AS A MAN WITH A SCIENTIFICBACKGROUND THERE, YOU RECOGNIZE

THAT THE SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUSHERE DISCREDITS THE PEOPLE WHO

DENY CLIMATE CHANGE.

>> AND I SAID BEFORE THATTHERE'S NOTHING SCIENTIFIC ABOUT

DISCREDITING PEOPLE WHO PRESENTCONFLICTING EVIDENCE AND ASK

REASONABLE QUESTIONS.

>> Jon: WELL, LET'S COMPARETHE EVIDENCE AND WE'LL PRESENT

IT IN A WAY THAT MAKES SENSE TOSOMEONE WITH YOUR BACKGROUND.

OKAY.

HERE WE GO.

WHICH OF THESE COASTLINES LOOKSBETTER TO YOU.

IS IT A OR B?

A OR B?

YOU CAN'T SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

OKAY.

OKAY.

I'M AFRAID YOU MAY HAVE WILLFULBLINDNESS.

ONCE WE CORRECT THE PROBLEM,MAYBE YOU'LL BE ABLE TO SEE THAT

WE HAVE TO REGULATE THE CARBONDIOXIDE THAT'S HEATING THE

ATMOSPHERE.

>> CO2 IS A DIFFERENT KETTLE OFFISH.

IT'S NOT PARTICULATES AND NOXAND SOX.

IT'S PLANT FOOD.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: THAT IS THE SINGLE

MOST CHARMING WAY I HAVE EVERHEARD SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING SO

WRONG.

"YOU KNOW, MY PAPPY TOLD ME, IFYOU TICKLE A FROG AND IT WINKS,

YOU GIRLFRIEND CAN'T GETPREGNANT."

YOU KNOW, THIS GUY IS... HE ISWRONG, BUT HE IS ADORABLE.

HE IS WRONG-DORABLE.

BUT, WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

EVEN IF YOU ACCEPTED THESCIENCE, YOU'D STILL FIND SOME

WAY TO DENIGRATE CLIMATE POLICY,YES?

>> NOW WE HAVE FIRST ROUND OF AGLOBAL WARMING REGULATIONS,

WHICH WILL NATIONALIZE THEELECTRICITY MARKET AND FORCE

AMERICANS TO LIVE OUT THEPRESIDENT'S GREEN DREAM.

>> Jon: THE PRESIDENT'S GREENDREAM.

BY THE WAY, OBAMA'S GREEN DREAM,TOP-SELLING STRAIN IN COLORADO

DISPENSARIES.

NOW, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY.

REPUBLICAN LAWMAKERS, I DON'TKNOW WHAT TO DO NOW, REPUBLICAN

LAWMAKERS WON'T LISTEN TO ALGORE, THEY WON'T LISTEN TO

NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON, THEY WON'T

LISTEN TO BILL NYE THESCIENCE GUY.

NOW THEY WON'T EVEN LISTEN TOMEMBERS OF THEIR OWN PARTY.

THERE IS REALLY ONLY ONESOLUTION TO GET REPUBLICANS

TO DO SOMETHING ABOUTCLIMATE CHANGE.

OBAMA MUST BECOME A GLOBALWARMING DENIER.

HE MUST RIDE UP TO CONGRESS IN AHUMMER WITH A GUN RACK AND TELL

THEM, "I WAS WRONG AND YOU ARERIGHT."

WE'D HAVE CAP AND TRADE BY THEMORNING.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Jon: MY GUST TONIGHT WASTHE PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF

IRAQ TO THE UNITED NATIONS FROM2006 TO 2013.

PLEASE WELCOME HAMID AL-BAYATI.

SIR.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

WELL, THANK YOU MUCH FOR JOININGUS.

WE VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOUBEING HERE BECAUSE ON AMERICAN

TELEVISION, THERE ARE A LOT OFTALKING HEADS SAYING, "WHAT'S

GOING ON IN IRAQ?"BUT WE DON'T... BOY, I DON'T

KNOW HOW TO PUT THIS, KNOW THATMUCH ABOUT IT.

[LAUGHTER]YOU PERHAPS MIGHT KNOW MORE.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?

WHAT'S GOING ON THERE RIGHT NOW?

>> JON, DEFINITELY I KNOW MORETHAN MOST OF THE AMERICANS.

[LAUGHTER]>> Jon: KIND OF GOES WITHOUT

SAYING.

I FIGURED THAT.

ALL RIGHT.

SO HIT ME.

HIT ME.

WHAT HAPPENED?

>> THE IRAQ I WAS BORN IN ANDGROWN UP IN IS AN IRAQ OF UNITY.

THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE LOVE TOLIVE IN PEACE AND HARMONY.

MUSLIMS, CHRISTIANS, JEWS, THEYLIVED FOR CENTURIES.

HOWEVER, THERE ARE MINORITIES,FAR EXTREMISTS, AND

UNFORTUNATELY THEY MAKE HIGHNOISES, LOUDER NOISES, AND THE

MEDIA PICK UP THESE NOISES ANDMAKE IT BIGGER. NOW, THERE'S THE

FACT THAT THERE IS SPILLOVER FROM INSTABILITY IN SYRIA.

ISIS IS AL QAEDA IN IRAQ ANDSYRIA IN THE BEGINNING.

THEN AL QAEDA CONSIDERED THEMTOO EXTREME AND THEY --

>> Jon: AL QAEDA CONSIDERS THISISIS GROUP...

>> TOO EXTREME FOR THEM.

IMAGINE, YOU KNOW?

>> JON: SO AL QAEDA, THE GROUPRESPONSIBLE FOR 9/11, THEY SEE

THESE GUYS AND THEY GO, NO, ICAN'T WORK WITH THEM.

[LAUGHTER]>> EXACTLY.

THEY'RE TOO MUCH.

SO NOW WE ARE FACING THIS GROUPWHO ARE BRUTAL.

THE UNITED NATIONS REPORTS THATTHEY ARE COMMITTING WAR CRIMES.

THEY EXECUTE THOUSANDS OFPEOPLE, INCLUDING CIVILIANS, IN

MOSUL AND OTHER AREAS.

>> Jon: BUT LET ME ASK YOU,SO, THE REPORTS THAT WE GET IS,

SO WE LEAVE IRAQ.

EVERYBODY SAYS IRAQ IS READY.

WE'RE GOING TO TAKE OVER THEGOVERNANCE AND SECURITY OF THIS

NATION.

YOU WERE THERE DURING THAT TIME.

YOU FELT GOOD ABOUT THATARRANGEMENT.

EVERYBODY FELT GOOD.

THESE GUYS ROLL IN, AND THEIRAQI ARMY SEEMS TO DISPERSE,

AND THEY TAKE OVER THIS AREA INMOSUL.

AND THE LOCAL PEOPLE, BECAUSE ITSEEMS LIKE THEY'VE NOW JOINED UP

WITH THE ORIGINAL BA'ATHISTSFROM SADDAM'S OLD GROUP, AND

THEY SEEM TO BE ALLIED NOW.

IS THAT WHAT HAPPENED?

>> YES, NOT ONLY ISIS.

ISIS IS 5,000 TO 6,000PERSONNEL.

>> Jon: 5,000 TO 6,000.

>> ONLY, ONLY.

>> Jon: SERIOUSLY, THAT'S IT?

>> YEAH. THE HIGHEST ESTIMATIONIS 10,000, HOWEVER, THE BA'ATH

PARTY IS HEADED OR LED BY IZZATAL-DOURI WHO WAS VICE PRESIDENT

FOR SADDAM. THE INSURGENCY GROUPLIKE NAQSHABANDI GROUP

AND OTHER GROUPS ARE JOINING.

>> Jon: SO THIS IS SIMILAR TOWHAT HAD OCCURRED IN THE ANBAR

PROVINCE IN 2006?

>> YEAH, EXACTLY.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING,THE IRAQI ARMY WAS NOT WELL

EQUIPPED.

WE ASKED FOR, FOR EXAMPLE, JETFIGHTERS.

WE DIDN'T RECEIVE THEM YET.

THE CONGRESS APPROVED F-16sSINCE MANY YEARS.

WE HAVEN'T RECEIVED THEM. NOW WEASKED,

THIS IS WHY THE IRAQI GOVERNMENTOFFICIALLY REQUESTED AN AIR

STRIKE BY AMERICAN FORCES.

NOW, PRESIDENT OBAMA ANNOUNCEDTODAY THAT THEY COULD TAKE

CERTAIN TARGETS, PRECISE ATTACKSWHENEVER THEY FEEL IT'S

IMPORTANT. I THINKIT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE

GATHER TOGETHER TO FIGHTTHIS EXTREME GROUP.

>> Jon: SO YOU WOULD LIKE US TOJOIN THE FIGHT?

>> I WOULD SAY THIS IS THE IRAQIGOVERNMENT REQUEST.

>> Jon: THE IRAQI GOVERNMENTWOULD LIKE US TO JOIN THE FIGHT?

>> YES, THEY REQUEST AMERICANAIR STRIKES, NOT JUST IN TROOPS,

GROUND TROOPS, THAT'S ADIFFERENCE BETWEEN ONLY

AMERICANS AND DRONES ANDYEMEN AND PAKISTAN AND OTHER

AREAS.

>> Jon: THIS IS WHAT, YOU WOULDLIKE OUR DRONE PROGRAM.

WE HAVE MANY DIFFERENT PACKAGES.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE? [LAUGHTER]

SO LET ME SEE, LET ME GET YOURORDER RIGHT.

>> OKAY.

OKAY.

>> Jon: THE AMERICANS WOULD...

I FEEL LIKE WE'RE IN SORT OF AVERY STRANGE POSITION IN THAT WE

DID DESTABILIZE YOU.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: YOU'RE WELCOME.

[LAUGHTER]I THINK AMERICANS FEEL LIKE WE

HAD SPENT AN AWFUL LOT OF MONEY,A LOT OF BLOOD FOR REASONS THAT,

YOU KNOW, WE CAN FIGHT ABOUTWHETHER OR NOT IT WAS RIGHT TO

GO IN OR NOT, BUT THAT MAYBE WEDO HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO

THE IRAQI PEOPLE AFTER DOINGTHAT, BUT OUR ABILITY TO

WITHSTAND SORT OF BEING THEFABRIC THAT HOLDS THE COUNTRY

TOGETHER FROM THESE SECTARIANVIOLENCE ISSUES AND THESE

EXTREMIST VIOLENCE ISSUES, ISNOT A TENABLE POSITION FOR US TO

BE IN.

>> WELL, THERE IS AN IMPORTANTFACTOR THAT ABU MUSAB

AL-ZARQAWI. AND BY THE WAY...

>> ZARQAWI WAS THE OLD LEADEROF THIS GROUP.

THE JORDANIAN THAT WAS KILLED AWHILE AGO.

>> YES.

ISIS WAS ORIGINALLY PART OF THEZARQAWI GROUP WHO WAS SEPARATE

FROM AL QAEDA.

ZARQAWI WROTE A LETTER TO OSAMABIN LADEN WHEN HE ANNOUNCED

ALLEGIANCE TO HIM, SAYING THATIF THE IRAQI GOVERNMENT GETS

STRONGER AND CONTROL THESITUATION, THERE WILL BE NO

OPTION BUT TO PACK AND LEAVEAS WE DID IN AFGHANISTAN.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO BRINGSECTARIAN WAR BETWEEN SUNNIS AND

SHIA. THIS IS WHY...

>> Jon: SO THEY'RE FOMENTINGTHIS WAR.

THEY WANT THIS LARGER SECTARIANWAR.

>> YES. ABU BAKR AL-BAGHDADIWHOSE REAL NAME IS IBRAHIM AWWAD

AL-BADRI, HE TRIED TO PLAY THATSECTARIAN CARD.

>> Jon: HE WANTS TO FOMENT THISWAR.

WELL, LET'S DO THIS. LET'S TAKEBREAK.

CAN YOU STICK AROUND FAR LITTLEBIT?

>> YES. BECAUSE WHAT I WANT TOTALK ABOUT

WHEN WE COME BACK IS, WOULDHE BE ABLE TO ENFLAME

THAT SECTARIAN WAR IFTHE AL-MALIKI GOVERNMENT HAD

BEEN MORE OPEN TO POWER SHARINGWITH THE SUNNI MINORITY AND HAS

THAT PLAYED A ROLE IN THIS.

SO WHEN WE COME BACK, WE'LLTALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT.

WE'LL HAVE MORE WITH HAMIDAL-BAYATI RIGHT AFTER THIS.

>> Jon: HEY, THAT'S OUR SHOW.

HERE IT IS, YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN.

>> DO YOU KNOW HOW EASY IT IS TOINFURIATE EUROPEANS?

WATCH THIS, SOCCER, SOCCER,SOCCER, SOCCER, SOCCER, SOCCER,

SOCCER, SOCCER, SOCCER, SOCCER,SOCCER.

Loading...