February 27, 2012 - Neil deGrasse Tyson

  • Episode: 17064
  • (0)

Rick Santorum gets queasy over John F. Kennedy's religious tolerance speech, the Pope joins the Twitterverse, and Neil deGrasse Tyson advocates U.S. space exploration.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THE DAILY

SHOW.

I'M JON STEWART.

WE HAVE A GOOD ONE FOR YOU

TONIGHT.

TONIGHT ON THE PROGRAM-- AND I

CAN SAY THIS WITHOUT ANY

HESITATION AT ALL, MY FAVORITE

ASTROPHYSICIST ON THE PLANET

WILL BE HERE.

AUTHOR NEIL DEGRASSE WILL BE

HERE.

DID I SAY SPACE CHRONICLES?

I MEANT TO SAY SPACE

CHRONICLES.

WE BEGIN TONIGHT WITH HISTORY.

52 YEARS AGO AN IRISH CATHOLIC

SENATOR FROM MASSACHUSETTS

SOUGHT TO TEMPER ANTI-CATHOLIC

BIGOTRY BY REASSURING THE THAT

HIS POLITICAL ALLEGIANCE WAS

TO AMERICA AND NOT TO THE

VATICAN.

>> I BELIEVE IN AN AMERICA

WHERE THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH

AND STATE IS ABSOLUTE.

WHERE NO CATHOLIC CAN TELL THE

PRESIDENT, SHOULD HE BE

CATHOLIC, HOW TO ACT.

I BELIEVE IN AN AMERICA THAT

IS OFFICIALLY NEITHER CATHOLIC,

PROTESTANT, NOR JEWISH AND

WHERE RELIGIOUS LIBERTY IS SO

INDIVISIBLE THAT AN ACT

AGAINST ONE CHURCH IS TREATED

AS AN ACT AGAINST ALL.

>> Jon: NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE

ME, THERE IS A SHOW GIRL.

IT WAS A WATERSHED MOMENT FOR

CATHOLIC ASPIRATIONS IN THIS

COUNTRY, ONE THAT PAVED THE

WAY FOR KENNEDY'S PRESIDENCY

AND PERHAPS WITHOUT THAT

SPEECH THERE WOULD BE NO

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDACY FOR

CATHOLIC RICK SANTORUM, A DEBT

HE ACKNOWLEDGES WITH THE

FOLLOWING.

>> VERY LATE IN MY POLITICAL

CAREER I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY

TO READ THE SPEECH, AND I

ALMOST THREW UP.

SNON I KNOW.

WERE YOU READING IT IN A CAR

BECAUSE THAT CAN OR A POORLY

AIR ATED BUS.

OR READING IT WHILE ON CONEY

ISLAND ON ONE OF THOSE CRAZY

PIRATE SHIP THINGY BECAUSE

IT'S HARD TO READ ON THOSE

THINGS OR STAND.

I CAN ONLY ASSUME YOU RICK

SANTORUM WERE IN AN ILL

VENTILATED VEHICLE BECAUSE

KENNEDY'S SPEECH LAYS OUT WHY

SOMEONE WHO PRACTICES A FAITH

THAT VOTERS ARE NOT AS

FAMILIAR WITH SHOULDN'T BE

DISQUALIFIED FROM OFFICE.

UNLESS... WHAT DID YOU THINK

HE SAID?

>> TO SAY THAT PEOPLE OF FAITH

HAVE NO ROLE NO ROLE IN THE

PUBLIC SQUARE, YOU BET THAT

MAKES YOU THROW.

WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY DO WE

LIVE IN.

>> Jon: ALL DO YOU HEAR ALL

FAITHS ARE WELCOME AS NO

FAITHS ARE WELCOME?

DO YOU HEAR MARTIN LUTHER

KING'S I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH

LIKE THIS, BLACK AND WHITE

CHILDREN CAN PLAY TOGETHER.

ONLY CHILDREN OF NO COLOR ARE

ALLOWED TO PLAY?

RICK, I'M SORRY THAT HEARING

THAT J.F.K. SPEECH ON RELIGION

MAKES YOU THROUGH UP.

IF HE WERE ALIVE TODAY KNOWING

THAT YOU WERE RUNNING FOR

PRESIDENT WHO MAKE HIM (BEEP)

HIS PANTS.

TO BE FAIR, THAT WOULD

PROBABLY JUST BE AGE.

HE'D BE, I THINK, 95.

I BELIEVE WE NEED TO

INAUGURATE A NEW SEGMENT ON

THE PROGRAM, HOW IS IT THAT

MITT ROMNEY HASN'T CRUSHED

THIS GUY ALREADY?

I MEAN, THE NEXT PRIMARY IS

MICHIGAN.

IT'S TOMORROW.

ROMNEY'S HOME STATE.

ROMNEY'S PROBABLY KILLING IT

UP THERE IN MOTOR CITY.

>> I DRIVE A MUSTANG AND A

CHEVY PICK-UP TRUCK.

ANN DRIVES A COUPLE OF

CADILLACS ACTUALLY.

>> Jon: THAT SOUNDS BAD.

TO BE FAIR, TO BE FAIR, SHE

DRIVES THEM AT THE SAME TIME.

WHAT IS SHE SUPPOSED TO DO?

SIT ON THE SAME FLOOR AS HER

CHAUFFEUR?

IS SHE GOING TO DRIVE A SINGLE

LEVEL CAR, A RANCH CAR?

COME ON.

NO.

ALL RIGHT.

I KNOW HOW ROMNEY CAN FIX THIS

ELITIST THING HE'S GOT GOING.

TO FLORIDA AND THE DAYTONA

500.

YOU LOVE NASCAR, RIGHT, MITT

IS.

>> THIS COMBINES A COUPLE

THINGS I LIKE BEST.

CARS AND SPORT.

>> LET ME START YOU RIGHT

THERE.

SPORT.

HERE IN THE HUMAN WORLD WE

CALL THINGS LIKE NASCAR

SPORTS.

FOOTBALL, BASEBALL, BASKETBALL,

SPORTS.

SPORT, SPORT-- THAT IS

SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THING.

THAT REQUIRES A HORSE OR BOAT

OR AN ASCOT.

OR ALL THREE OF THOSE THINGS.

SO DAMAGE CONTROL FOR THE CARS

AND SPORT REFERENCE WHICH WAS

DAMAGE CONTROL FOR THE WIFE

HAS CADILLAC REFERENCE,

QUICKLY HOW CLOSELY DO YOU

FOLLOW NASCAR, ROMNEY GO.

>> ABOUT AS CLOSELY AS SOME OF

THE MOST ARDENT FANS BUT I

HAVE GREAT FRIENDS THAT ARE AS

NASCAR TEAM OWNERS.

>> Jon: IS THERE ANYTHING THAT

COMES OUT OF THIS GUY'S MOUTH

THAT COULDN'T COME OUT OF

THURSTON HOWELL III'S MOUTH.

I APOLOGIZE.

HOW IS IT THAT RICK SANTORUM

HASN'T CRUSHED THIS GUY?

THAT'S OUR NEW SEGMENT.

ASIDE FROM THAT J.F.K. MAKES

ME PUKE WHACKYNESS, WHY IS

SANTORUM NOT BREAKING THROUGH?

>> PRESIDENT OBAMA ONCE SAID

HE WANTS EVERYBODY IN AMERICA

TO GO TO COLLEGE.

WHAT A SNOB.

>> Jon: NO, NO, NOT (APPLAUSE)

WHAT A SNOB.

LOOK WHO IS EDUCATING HIS

CHILDREN.

I GUESS SOMEONE IS TOO GOOD

FOR NOT KNOWING THINGS.

RICK, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU KNOW

THIS BUT SNOBS ARE

EXCLUSIONARY IN NATURE.

DUDE, DO YOU KNOW WHO MUFFY

WANTS TO JOIN THE COUNTRY

CLUB?

ALL THE MEXICANS.

WHAT A SNOB.

JUST TO BE CLEAR, YOUR COMING

OUT AGAINST PEOPLE EDUCATING

THEIR KIDS BECAUSE IT'S FANCY.

EXPLAIN THAT.

>> A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THIS

COUNTRY HAVE NO DESIRE OR NO

ASPIRATION TO GO TO COLLEGE

BECAUSE THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT

SET OF SKILLS AND DESIRES AND

DREAMS THAT DON'T INCLUDE

COLLEGE.

THERE ARE... THERE'S TECHNICAL

SCHOOLS AND ADDITIONAL

VOCATIONAL TRAINING.

THERE'S SKILLS AND

APPRENTICESHIPS.

>> Jon: I MISUNDERSTOOD.

ALL SANTORUM IS SAYING IS THAT

FOUR-YEAR COLLEGES AREN'T FOR

EVERYONE.

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH

TECHNICAL SCHOOLS, VOCATIONAL

TRAINING AND APPRENTICESHIPS

WHICH IS HARDLY THE

PRESIDENT'S POSITION.

>> I ASK EVERY AMERICAN TO

COMMIT TO AT LEAST TO ONE YEAR

OR MORE OF HIGHER EDUCATION OR

CAREER TRAINING, IT COULD BE A

COMMUNITY COLLEGE OR A FOUR-YEAR

SCHOOL.

VOCATIONAL TRAINING OR AN

APPRENTICESHIP.

>> Jon: EWWWW!

I JUST WINDED MYSELF.

YOU KNOW, I'M BEGINNING TO

SUSPECT THERE MIGHT BE

SOMETHING MORE TO SANTORUM'S

HATRED OF COLLEGES.

>> I UNDERSTAND WHY HE WANTS

YOU TO GO TO COLLEGE.

HE WANTS TO REMAKE YOU IN HIS

IMAGE.

>> Jon: RIDICULOUS.

IF OBAMA WERE TRYING TO REMAKE

US IN OUR IMAGE, HE WOULD

US TO A MADRASSAH.

FOR MORE ON RICK SANTORUM'S

COMMENTS WE SEND TO JESSICA

WILLIAMS WHO JOINS US LIVE.

THANKS FOR JOINING US.

( APPLAUSE )

WHAT COLLEGE ARE YOU REPORTING

FROM?

>> DOES IT EVEN MATTER, JON?

I MEAN THEY'RE ALL THE SAME.

YOU GOT YOUR QUAD.

YOUR STUDENT CENTER.

YOUR FEMINIST BOOKSTORE.

YOUR GAY BOOKSTORE.

YOUR DRIVE-THROUGH ABORTION

CHRICHB I CAN.

... CLINIC.

>> Jon: YOU ARE TECHNICALLY

STILL A COLLEGE STUDENT, YES?

YOU'VE SUSPENDED YOUR STUDIES

A BIT TO BE ON THE PROGRAM

WITH US.

>> YEP.

YOU KNOW AFTER ALL THIS DAILY

SHOW BUSINESS DIES DOWN, I'M

TOTALLY GOING BACK.

>> Jon: YOU'RE NEVER GOING

BACK, ARE YOU?

>> NOT IN A MILLION YEARS,

JON.

I'M ON TV!

>> Jon: VERY NICE.

>> LOOK, TAKE IT FROM ME,

KIDS.

DROP OUT OF SCHOOL AND YOU GET

TO BE ON TV.

>> Jon: NO, NO.

THAT'S THE WRONG... SO, WHAT

DO YOU SAY TO THIS WHOLE

COLLEGE IS JUST A LIBERAL

INDOCTRINATION CENTER WHERE

BARACK OBAMA IS MAKING

STUDENTS IN HIS IMAGE.

>> IT'S ALL TRUE, JON.

CHECK THIS OUT.

THIS IS ME THREE YEARS AGO.

( APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: THAT DOES NOT LOOK

LIKE YOU.

>> IT DEFINITELY IS ME.

I USED TO BE A SWEET, INNOCENT

CHURCH GOING GIRL WHO BELIEVED

VOLCANOS HAPPENED WHEN THE

DEVIL HAS HICK CUPS.

THEN I WENT TO COLLEGE, AND

THEY EXPOSED ME TO NEW IDEAS.

LITERATURE, PHILOSOPHY,

SOMETHING CALLED SCIENCE.

AND BY THE END OF SOPHOMORE

YEAR, I WAS A BLACK GIRL.

>> Jon: IT WAS ALL TRUE.

>> IT'S ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

IF I WOULD HAVE STAYED ONE

MORE YEAR, I WOULD HAVE LOOKED

LIKE THIS.

>> Jon: JESSICA, YOU KNOW, I

WENT TO COLLEGE AND THAT

DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME.

>> YEAH, YOU'RE SUPER OLD AND

YOU WENT TO SCHOOL LIKE 60

YEARS AGO.

THEY PROBABLY REMADE YOU INTO

JIMMY CARTER'S IMAGE.

>> Jon: OH, MY GOD.

PEANUTS.

WHERE DID THESE COME FROM?

WAIT.

ISN'T THE POINT OF COLLEGE TO

EXPOSE YOUNG ADULTS TO NEW

IDEAS AND NEW WAYS OF

THINKING?

>> SEE, THAT'S THE PROBLEM

RIGHT THERE.

YOUNG ADULTS, KIDS TURN 18 AND

ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY START

THINKING FOR THEMSELVES.

BUT IF THEY NEVER GROW UP,

THEY'LL NEVER GET OBAMA-FIED.

>> Jon: ARE YOU TELLING ME

THAT SANTORUM IS NAIVE 16-TO

17-YEAR-OLD GIRLS IN CATHOLIC

UNIFORMS WHO BELIEVES WHATEVER

SANTORUM TELLS THEM.

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THE

SHOW.

NOW, WE KNOW THAT A RICK

SANTORUM ADMINISTRATION WOULD

LOOK TO THE VATICAN FOR

INSPIRATION BUT HOW WOULD

SANTORUM GET THOSE MESSAGES OF

INSPIRATION?

LAST WEEK IT BECAME CLEAR.

>> THE PONTIFICAL COUNSEL FOR

SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS OR BONE

POPE BENEDICT'S MEDIA TEAM IS

USING TWITTER TO GET CATHOLICS

TO FOCUS ONLESS.

HE'S USING A iPAD TO POST

SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE ON TWITTER.

>> Jon: THE POPE HAS AN iPAD?

WHAT HAVE THE PIGS DONE TO

ANGER THE BIRDS?

THE GREEN BOOMERANGY BIRDS.

WHY CAN NOT THIS BIRD LEARN

FORGIVENESS?

IF A 2,000-YEAR-OLD

INSTITUTION IS DOING, IT'S GOT

TO BE CUTTING EDGE.

WHERE DO I FIND THIS HOLY

TWITTER FEED?

>> POPE BENEDICT WILL TWEET

SOME OF HIS THEMES FOR THIS

SEASON AT POPE-2-YOU-VET CAN.

>> Jon: WHAT?

THE POPE CAN'T GET A STRAIGHT-UP

TWITTER HANDLE?

THE POPE?

THAT IS WEAK, TWITTER.

THAT IS TWEAK.

ALTHOUGH IT IS THE INSPIRATION

FOR MY NEW OFF BROADWAY SHOW,

POPE BENEDICT XVI CHOOSES HIS

TWITTER ACCOUNT.

I HAD TO GO WITH A CHEF'S HAT

AND A 20-YEAR-OLD I-MAC FOR

SOME REASON.

AS A JEW I'M NOT LICENSED TO

GO FULL MITRE.

POPE BENEDICT 16 CHOOSES HIS

TWITTER ACCOUNT.

WWW.TWITTER.COM.

CLICK ON NEW ACCOUNT.

USER NAME.

THE POPE.

ALREADY TAKEN.

WHAT?

I'M THE POPE.

WHAT ABOUT THE REAL POPE?

HOW CAN THAT BE TAKEN?

I'M THE POPE.

THE HOLY POPE.

SON OF A BITCH.

POPE WITH A ZERO FOR THE O.

THE ACTUAL HOLY SEE.

POPE BENEDICT XVI, MOTHER

(BEEP).

I'LL JUST GO WITH POPE-2-YOU.

THAT'S TAKEN?

POPE-2-YOU... ARE YOU WATCHING

THIS?

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

A ONE-MAN SHOW.

WHAT?

IT'S CLOSED ALREADY?

NOW THAT THE POPE IS ONLINE

THOUGH, WELL, WHAT'S THE POPE

GOING TO PUT OUT THERE?

>> MANY OF THE KEY IDEAS OF

THE GOSPEL FIT VERY NICELY

INTO 140 CHARACTERS.

>> VERY CONVENIENT.

>> Jon: IT IS VERY CONVENIENT

ALTHOUGH NOT ALL OF THEM.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

IF YOU KNOW THE PASSAGE FROM

THE 23rd PSALM THOUGH I WALK

THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE

SHADOW OF DEATH, I WILL

FEAR... OH, BOY.

SO CLOSE.

OF COURSE, THERE IS ONE

MESSAGE THE POPE REALLY DOES

WANT TO GET ACROSS.

>> GOOD TO SEE THE POPE IS

COMMUNICATING WITH YOUNG

PEOPLE.

A GREAT IDEA.

>> Jon: WHAT ABOUT BETTER WAY

FOR A SELL BAIT PERSON TO... I

CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE

YOU COULD DO.

HASH TAG, NOTHING COMES TO

>> Jon: MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AN

ASTROPHYSICIST AND A DIRECT RT

DIRECTOR OF THE PLANETARIUM.

HIS BOOK IS CALLED SPACE

CHRONICLES.

PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO THE

PROGRAM NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

VERY EXCITED.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING

US.

>> OH, MY GOSH.

>> Jon: SPACE CHRONICLES.

DO YOU DO THAT AT HOME?

>> NO, NO, NO.

PLUS MY VOICE IS DEEPER THAN

YOURS.

SO SPACE CHRONICLES.

THE PLANETARIUM VOICE COMES

OUT DEEP.

>> Jon: YOU DO ALL THE

NARRATIONS?

>> NO, NO, NO WE HAVE LIKE A-

LIST MOVIE STARS COME IN AND

DO IT.

I MIGHT DO THE NEXT ONE.

WE HAVE PEEPS.

>> Jon: PEOPLE THAT ARE WELL

KNOWN.

>> IN FACT,....

>> Jon: PEOPLE THAT LIVE

NEARBY.

>> (LAUGHING IN A FUNNY WAY)

I'LL MAKE A NOTE.

>> Jon: TELL ME ABOUT THIS.

SPACE CHRONICLES.

THE BASIC PREMISE OF THIS IS

WE NO LONGER PRIORITIZE SPACE

EXPLORATION.

YOU BELIEVE THAT THAT IS A

TRAGIC MISSTEP.

>> YES.

>> Jon: FOR OUR SOCIETY AS A

WHOLE.

>> YES.

TRAGIC MISSTEP.

>> Jon: THANK YOU FOR COMING

BY.

EXCELLENT WORK.

THE BOOK IS CALLED SPACE

CHRONICLES.

>> (LAUGHING).

>> Jon: WHAT IS IT THAT....

>> HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED.

IN THE 1960s WE WERE AT WAR

WITH THE SOVIET UNION.

THE COLD WAR.

A LITTLE BIT OF HOT WAR OVER

IN SOUTHEAST ASIA.

SO WE FEARED THEM BECAUSE THEY

PUT UP SPUTNIK WHICH BY THE

WAY PEOPLE FORGET WAS AN

EMPTIED OUT CASING OF AN

INTER-CONTINENTAL BALLISTIC

MISSILE.

>> Jon: I DON'T THINK PEOPLE

FORGOT THAT.

I DON'T THINK ANYBODY KNEW

THAT.

>> OKAY.

SO, SO, SO THEY PUT A LITTLE

DEVICE THAT GOES BEEP, BEEP.

AND SPUTNIK ITSELF MEANS

FELLOW TRAVELER.

IT'S ALL PEACEFUL BUT IT WAS A

BALLISTIC MISSILE HEAD WITHOUT

EXPLOSIVES.

THAT WAS A SIGNAL.

WE FREAKED IN AMERICA.

NASA GOT FOUNDED.

ON THE FEAR FACTOR OF SPUTNIK.

ALL RIGHT.

SO WE THEN GO TO THE MOON ON

THE FEAR FACTOR THAT RUSSIA

WILL CONTROL HIGH GROUND.

THEN WE GO TO THE MOON, SPACE

ENTHUSIASTS SAY, OH, WE'RE ON

THE MOON BY '69.

WE'LL BE ON MARS IN ANOTHER

TEN YEARS.

THEY COMPLETELY DID NOT

UNDERSTAND WHY WE GOT TO THE

MOON IN THE FIRST PLACE.

WE WERE AT WAR.

ONCE WE SAW THAT RUSSIA WAS

NOT READY TO LAND ON THE MOON,

WE STOPPED GOING TO THE MOON.

THAT SHOULD NOT SURPRISE

ANYBODY LOOKING BACK ON IT.

MEANWHILE, HOWEVER, THAT

ENTIRE ERA GALVANIZED THE

NATION.

FORGET THE WAR.

IT GALVANIZED US ALL TO DREAM

ABOUT TOMORROW, TO THINK ABOUT

THE HOMES OF TOMORROW, CITIES

OF TOMORROW, THE FOOD OF

TOMORROW.

EVERYTHING WAS FUTURE WORLD.

FUTURE LAND.

THE WORLD'S FAIR, ALL OF THIS

WAS FOCUSED ON ENABLING PEOPLE

TO MAKE TOMORROW COME.

THAT WAS A CULTURAL MIND SET

THAT THE SPACE PROGRAM BROUGHT

UPON US.

WE REAPED THE BENEFITS OF

ECONOMIC GROWTH BECAUSE YOU

HAD PEOPLE WANTING TO BECOME

SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS WHO

ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ENABLED

TOMORROW TO EXIST TODAY.

AND SO IT IS THAT MINE SET....

>> Jon: YOU'RE (BEEP) WALT

DISNEY.

LISTEN TO YOU.

YOU ARE INSPIRING ME.

I'M GOING TO GO HOME AND FIX

MYSELF A GLASS OF TANG.

I'M EXCITED NOW.

>> SO TODAY, OKAY, I'D RATHER

WAR NOT BE THE DRIVER.

>> Jon: WELL, LET IT BE THE

DRIVER.

>> IT COULD HAPPEN.

CHINA WANTS TO PUT A MILITARY

BASE ON THE MOON WE'RE THERE

IN TWO YEARS.

>> Jon: I HEARD AL QAEDA IS

GOING TO MARS.

>> THIS COULD WORK EASY IN THE

MARKETING.

>> Jon: YOU BROUGHT UP

SOMETHING EARLIER THAT I

THOUGHT WAS FASCINATING, THAT

THE PROGRESS WAS NOT FAST

ENOUGH FOR US.

WAS ITS THAT THE EXPECTATION

BECAUSE OF WHAT WE SEE IN

FILMS AND POPULAR CULTURE IS

THAT WE WOULD LAND ON THE MOON

AND THEN WE DISCOVER PEOPLE.

THEN THEY WOULD WANT TO PHONE

HOME AND BY NOT FINDING THESE

THINGS, THE WORK THAT WE'RE

DOING IS TOO ESOTERIC AND

ABSTRACT FOR THE AMERICANS TO

GET BEHIND.

>> NO, NO,.

>> Jon: THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

THAT'S WHAT I SAID.

>> IT'S NOT ABOUT ESOTERIC.

IT'S ABOUT NO LONGER....

>> Jon: WE THINK IT'S

ESOTERIC.

>> IT'S ABOUT WE NO LONGER

ADVANCED A SPACE FRONTIER.

THE WHOLE SHUTTLE PROGRAM MADE

THE SPACE STATION.

SPACE SHUTTLE BOLDLY WENT

WHERE HUNDREDS HAD GONE

BEFORE.

THAT IS NOT WHAT NEWSPAPERS

RIGHT ABOUT AS ADVANCING A

FRONTIER.

>> Jon: THAT'S WHAT I'M

SAYING.

>> I SUBMIT TO YOU IF WE

DOUBLE NASA'S BUDGET....

>> Jon: WHAT?

I'M SORRY.

YOU'RE MADLOCK.

>> YEAH.

I ALERT YOU OF THE FACT

THAT....

>> Jon: THANK YOU.

>> ...THAT IF YOU DOUBLE

NASA'S BUDGET.

RIGHT NOW IT'S A HALF A PENNY

ON A DOLLAR.

MAKE IT A PENNY.

GO AHEAD MAKE IT PENNY.

BE BOLD.

>> Jon: FINE.

>> THE PENNY ON THE DOLLAR,

THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH TO GO TO

MARS SOON WITH PEOPLE AND GO

BACK TO THE MOON AND ON TO

ASTROID.

NOT ONLY DOES THAT STOKE THE

AMBITIONS OF KIDS IN THE

PIPELINE, IT SHIFTS THE MIND

SETS OF A NATION THAT ENABLE

US ALL TO NOW SAY, HEY,

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ENABLES

THESE DISCOVER EASE.

EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT A SCIENTIST

OR TECHNOLOGIST, YOU WILL

VALUE THAT ACTIVITY.

>> Jon: WE'LL BE INVESTING IN

OUR FUTURE.

>> YES.

THAT IN THE 21st CENTURY ARE

THE FOUNDATIONS OF TOMORROW'S

ECONOMIES.

WITHOUT IT, WE MIGHT AS WELL

JUST SLIDE BACK TO THE CAVE

BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE WE'RE

HEADED RIGHT NOW, BROKE.

>> Jon: CAN I SAY SOMETHING?

NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON, 2012.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

THAT WAS INSPIRING.

>> QUICK.

AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR

PROGRAM, YOUR EARTH IS

SPINNING THE WRONG DIRECTION.

>> Jon: SON OF A BITCH.

>> I'M SORRY.

I HAD TO GET THAT OFF MY

CHEST.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: SPACE CHRONICLES ON

THE BOOK SHELVES NOW.

NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON.

( APPLAUSE )

>> Jon: THAT'S OUR SHOW.

JOIN US TOMORROW NIGHT AT

11:00.

THERE IT IS YOUR MOMENT OF

ZEN.

>> DR. ROGER SAYS WHILE IT MAY

GET YOU DRUNK FASTER, IT'S

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

HOW MANY LIQUOR CAN ONE TAMPON

HOLD?

WATCH AS WE SOAK IT.

AND THEN WE SQUEEZE IT OUT

INTO A SHOT GLASS.

Loading...