May 19, 2011 - Lisa P. Jackson

  • Episode: 16068
  • (0)

John Hodgman creates a Bin Laden conspiracy theory, and Lisa P. Jackson addresses EPA criticism.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: WELCOME TO THE DAILY

SHOW, MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

MY NAME IS JON STEWART.

GOT A GREAT SHOW.

LISA P JACKSON HEAD OF THE

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

AGENCY WILL BE JOINING US.

SECRETARY JACKSON IF ARE YOU

NASTY.

SO-- NO, THAT'S-- NOW THAT

WE'VE COME OFF THE THOR

LOCOVIAN HIGH THAT WAS OUR

BALLS OUT SEAL TEAM 6 O

IN-- OSAMA BIN LADEN ASSAULT

AND EVILECT OMEE, SOME

TROUBLING QUESTIONS LINGER

ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH

THE COUNTRY THAT WE WERE SO

CLOSE WE COULDN'T TELL THEM

WE WERE ABOUT TO INVADE

THEM.

>> HOW COULD BIN LADEN

HIDEOUT FOR SO LONG RIGHT

UNDER THEIR NOSES.

>> Jon: DUPLICITY-- DUPLICITY

OR INCOMPETENCE, WHICH IS

MORE EMBARRASSING THAT OSAMA

BIN LADEN WAS HIDING IF

PLAIN SIGHT IN PAKISTAN OR

THAT THE AMERICANS ENTERED

WITHOUT TELLING THE

PAKISTANI GOVERNMENT?

>> Jon: WOW, THAT'S A ROUGH

TWO OPTIONS.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: PAKISTAN WHAT DOW

HATE MORING HAVING A TINNY

PENIS OR BEING TOO FAT TO

SEE IT.

BOOM, BOOM.

HOW YOU DOING.

BOOM.

WHAT'S HAPPENING, BOOM, NO

DISRESPECT.

YOU KNOW WHAT, PAKISTAN WAS

IN A TRICKY SPOT AS WELL.

PERHAPS NOW UPON REFLECTION,

TIME TO LET BYGONES BE

BYGONES.

>> PAKISTAN HASN'T GIVEN

BACK A SECRET U.S.

HELICOPTER LOST ON THE RAID

IN BIN LADEN'S HOME.

>> THERE IS UNIQUE

TECHNOLOGY THAT EXISTS ON

THE HELICOPTER THAT THE U.S.

DIDN'T WANT TO GET INTO THE

WRONG HANDS.

>> Jon: OH, YES, DON'T HAVE

THAT SECRET TECHNOLOGY IN

THE WRONG HANDS, AKA

PAKISTAN.

NOT THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE

OUR TRUST.

THEY TOOK GREAT CARE OF OUR

VERY SENSITIVE HELICOPTER,

HIDING IT BEHIND WHAT

APPEARS TO BE--

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: I SWEAR THAT'S A

REAL PICTURE, THEY'RE HIDING

IT BEHIND A ROOM DIVIDER

FROM WESTELL AM.

I MEAN-- IS THE BEST WAY TO

CAMOUFLAGE SECRET MILITARY

TECHNOLOGY THE SAME AS THE

WAY YOU PRETEND YOUR FIRST

APARTMENT HAS A WALL IN IT?

WHAT?

NO, MY BATHROOM'S NOT IN MY

KITCHEN THIS IS A ONE

BEDROOM.

MAGIC.

YOU KNOW FOR THE PAST TEN

YEARS PAKISTAN'S TAKEN LIKE

$20 BILLION OF OUR MONEY,

OSTENSIBLY TO HELP US ALL

WHILE CONTINUING TO BOLSTER

THEIR NUCLEAR PROGRAM,

CONTINUING TO PROVIDE SOME

LEVEL OF SUPPORT TO THE

TALIBAN AND LETTING OUR

NUMBER ONE ENEMY OSAMA BIN

LADEN CRASH IN THEIR GUEST

HOUSE LIKE SOME SORT OF

TURBANNED CATO CAMESCH-- KATO

KAELIN AND NOW HOLDING ON TO

OUR HELICOPTER TAIL.

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT IS THE

BEST PART OF THE HELICOPTER.

IT'S WHERE THE MEAT IS.

SEND NOW, SEND IN SEAL TIME

ONE.

>> SENATOR JOHN KERRY IS

PREPARING TO TRAVEL TO

PAKISTAN.

>> Jon: NOT SEAL TEAM YAWN.

SEAL TEAM ONE!

LET'S NOT SEND YACKMASTER

GENERAL OVER THERE THAT'S

NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING.

>> THEY'VE AGREED NOW TO

RETURN THE TAIL SECTION OF

THAT AMERICAN STEALTH

CHOPPER THAT CRASHED DURING

THE OSAMA BIN LADEN RAID.

>> Jon: WOW.

I SIMPLY TOLD THEM IN NO

UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT GIVEN

MY PROCLIVITY FOR THESE

TYPES OF NEGOTIATIONS THAT I

WOULD HERETOFORE PLEDGE

MY-- .

>> Jon: JUST-- THE

HELICOPTER, GET OUT.

JUST GET OUT.

TAKE THE [BLEEP] HELICOPTER!

NOW OBVIOUSLY--

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: THOSE ARE THE ONLY

TWO VOICES I CAN DO.

>> Jon: THANK GOD THEY

WORKED IN THAT STORY.

OBVIOUSLY REPAIRING OUR

RELATIONSHIP WITH PAKISTAN

WILL TAKE MORE THAN A FAILED

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE.

THAT'S WHY WE'RE JOINED BY

OUR RESIDENT EXPERT JOHN

HODGMAN.

JOHN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING US.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: HOW DO WE FIX--

(APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: HOW DO WE FIX THIS

RELATIONSHIP?

>> WELL, JON, A GOOD START

WOULD BE ADMITTING THAT BIN

LADEN ISN'T DEAD.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: I'M SORRY, I THOUGHT

YOU JUST SAID A GOOD START

WOULD BE ADMITTING BIN LADEN

IS NOT DEAD.

>> OPEN YOUR EYES, JON, AN

THEN FOCUS THEM.

NOT ON THE MUSTACHE, HIGHER,

THANK YOU.

>> Jon: MY EYES ARE OPEN.

EVEN CONSPIRACY THEY ARISTS

HAVEN'T MADE ANY HEADWAY ON

THE BIN LADEN STALE LIFE

TRAIN.

>> JON, JON, JON, WE NEED

HIM TO STILL BE ALIVE.

IF BIN LADEN IS DEAD OUR

ADVENTURES IN PAKISTAN AND

IRAQ AND THESE OTHER

COUNTRIES COULD ALL BE

DRAWING TO A CLOSE.

>> Jon: RIGHT, WHICH IS

WONDERFUL.

>> NO, BUT THE WAR SPENDING

IS THE ONLY SECTOR OF OUR

ECONOMIES THAT'S BOOMING.

4R56 LAUGH

(LAUGHTER)

>> DOW WANT TO RISK POPPING

THE TERROR BUBBLE?

(LAUGHTER)

IT'S OUR LAST BUBBLE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: JOHN, I'M ALSO

PROTECT OUR BUBBLE ECONOMIES

BUT OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD

AND NOTHING CAN KANG THAT.

>> JON, JON, JON V A LITTLE

FAITH IN AMERICA.

WE CAN GO ANYTHING WE PUT

OUR MINDS TO.

WE'RE THE COUNTRY THAT PUT A

MAN ON THE MOON.

AND WE'RE ALSO THE COUNTRY

THAT CREATED THE RUMOR THAT

WE DID NOT PUT A MAN ON THE

MONEY.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: YOU'RE SAYING, JOHN,

TO SAVE OUR ECONOMY, WE NEED

TO CREATE SOME SORT OF NEW

CONSPIRACY THEORY ABOUT

OSAMA BIN LADEN FROM

SCRATCH.

>> YES, THAT'S WHAT WE DO

BEST.

>> Jon: HOW WOULD YOU EVEN

GET A BIN LADEN CONSPIRACY

THEORY GOING NOW.

>> RIGHT, WELL JON, THE KEY

IS TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL LIKE

TEXAS.

YOU CAN'T BE TOO OBVIOUS.

FOR EXAMPLE SHOWING BIN

LADEN THAT TUESDAY'S

MET-MARLIN GAME ISN'T GOING

TO WORK.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: OBVIOUSLY THAT'S

FAKE.

>> EVEN I KNOW THERE IS NO

WAY CITY FIELD WOULD BE

ALMOST HALF FULL.

YOU HAVE TO BE-- YOU HAVE TO

BE MORE SUBTLE.

NOW WE'VE ALL SEEN THIS

VIDEO OF BIN LADEN WATCHING

TELEVISION IN THIS COMPOUND.

NOW FREEZE THERE, AND

ENHANCE.

SEE, JON.

THAT'S COUNTRIES HEMSWORTH,

THE STAR OF THOR, BIN LADEN

WATCHING AN EPISODE OF

ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT

COVERING A MOVIE THAT CAME

OUT 11 DAYS AFTER HE WAS

SUPPOSEDLY KILLED.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: THAT PROVES NOTHING.

THEY CAN BE COVERING ANY RED

CARPET EVENT WITH CHRIS

CHEMS WORTH.

>> JON, COMPUTER, PULL BACK

ON THAT IMAGE, PLEASE.

IT SEEMS TO ME-- HE WAS HERE

AT THE PARTY CELEBRATING THE

ONE WEEK ANNIVERSARY

CELEBRATING THE RELEASE OF

THOR.

>> Jon: IF OSAMA IS STILL

ALIVE YOU STILL HAVE TO

ANSWER TOO MANY QUESTIONS.

WHY WOULD OBAMA WANT US TO

THINK HE IS DEAD.

>> PERFECT.

BECAUSE IT IS NOT A

CONSPIRACY THEORY UNTIL IT

INVOLVES OBAMA.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: SO WHY?

>> WELL, BECAUSE BIN LADEN

AND OBAMA WERE SCHOOL CHUMS

TOGETHER IN INDONESIA.

(LAUGHTER)

NOT PICTURED IN THAT PHOTO,

THEIR MADRASSA CLASSMATE

BILL AYERS IN COMMON.

>> Jon: FIRST OF ALL THAT

PICTURE, TWO QUICK THINGS.

THOSE KIDS DON'T LOOK

ANYTHING LIKE (OBAMA AND

OSAMA BIN LADEN NUMBER ONE.

AND JIN BADEN IS LIKE FIVE

YEARS OLDER THAN OBAMA,

THOSE WERE THE SAME AGE.

>> IS HE, FIVE YEARS OLDER.

>> Jon: YES, WE ACTUALLY

HAVE OBAMA'S BIRTH

CERTIFICATE SO WE KNOW.

>> CORRECTION, JON, I HAVE

IT.

AND THIS AMERICAN LONG FORM

CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH

THAT PROVES NOTHING.

ALL THIS DOCUMENT TELLS SUS

THAT ON AUGUST 4th, 1961

OBAMA EMERGED FROM A WOMAN'S

VAGINA.

IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT HIS

AGE AT THE TIME.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: YOU'RE SAYING BRAHM

BAM AND OSAMA BIN LADEN

COULD BE THE SAME AGE

BECAUSE OBAMA WAS SMUGGLED

AS A FIVE-YEAR-OLD INTO THIS

COUNTRY IN A WOMAN'S VAGINA?

>> I HAVE HEARD PEOPLE

SAYING THAT, JON.

I--

(LAUGHTER)

>> I JUST HEARD YOU SAY IT,

ACTUALLY.

>> Jon: YOU KNOW, HOW WOULD

THAT YOU BE, SO WHEN OBAMA

WAS FIVE YEARS OLD HE WAS

THE SIZE OF A NEWBORN BABY.

>> JON, WAKE UP, HOW ELSE

COULD HE FIT INTO A WOMAN'S

VAGINA.

>> Jon: WE DON'T HAVE TIME

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK TO THE

SHOW!

SO DOMINIQUE STRAUSS-KAHN

FORMER HEAD OF THE

INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND

WAS ARRESTED THIS WEEK AFTER

AGENCIEDLY SEXUALLY

ASSAULTING A HOTEL MADE HAS

POSTED BAIL OF $1 MILLION IN

CASH.

HOW DOES THE HEAD OF THE

INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND

GET THAT KIND-- WELL, THERE

GOES NIGERIA'S MOSQUITO NET

MONEY.

ALL RIGHT.

OBVIOUSLY ONE IS PRESUMED

INNOCENT--

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

ONE WOULD LIKE TO RESERVE

JUDGEMENT, LET THE COURTS DO

THEIR WORK.

OF COURSE THAT HAS NOT

PREVENTED STRAUSS-KAHN

SUPPORTERS FROM MAKING THE

CASE FOR HIS INNOCENCE.

FOR INSTANCE FRENCH

PHILOSOPHER BERNARD HENRI

LEVY, LOOK IT UP, PEOPLE,

THAT'S HOW IT IS PRONOUNCED,--

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: HE HAS WRITTEN IN AN

ESSAY, QUOTE, I DO NOT KNOW

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

SATURDAY.

BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW

HOW A CHAMBER MADE COULD

HAVE WALKED IN ALONE,

CONTRARY TO THE HABITUAL

PRACTICE OF MOST OF NEW

YORK'S HOTELS OF SENDING A

CLEANING BRIGADE OF TWO

PEOPLE INTO THE ROOM.

THAT'S YOUR GOTCHA?

EVERYONE KNOWS MADES COME IN

PAIRS?

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: AND BY THE WAY, ONLY

THE FRENCH WOULD REFER TO

TWO MADES AS A BRIGADE.

(LAUGHTER)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: AND THAT'S JUST

JUST-- INTERESTING, LITTLE

KNOWN FACT.

IN WORLD WAR II GERMANY'S

ORIGINAL CONQUERING FORCE

THROUGH PARIS WAS ACTUALLY

JUST A CLEANING CREW.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: ACROSS THE RHINE AND

INTO PARIS, NOTHING MORE

THAN A PUSH BROOM AND

DECORATIVE SOAPS.

LOOK, ALL RIGHT, THREE NAMED

FRENCH GUYS A HAVE TO STICK

TOGETHER.

BUT STRAUSS-KAHN HAS A

SECOND DEFENDER WITH EQUALLY

AIRTIGHT REASONING.

>> FORMER NIXON SPEECHWRITER

BEN STEIN IS MAKING EXCUSES

FOR THE GUY.

>> Jon: BEN STEIN?

FROM WIN BEN STEIN'S MONEY?

FERRIS BUELLER?

THE COMMERCIALS FOR BEACH

BALL MOISTURIZER?

>> STEIN WRITES PROSECUTORS

SAY THAT MR. STRAUSS-KAHN

FORCED THE COMPLAINANT TO

HAVE ORAL AND OTHER SEX WITH

HIM.

HOW DID HE HAVE A GUN?

DID HE HAVE A KNIFE?

HE'S A SHORT, FAT, OLD MAN.

>> Jon: YES K HE'S NOT

MERELY IN THE KIND OF RAPING

SHAPE HE USED TO BE IN.

I MEAN 15 YEARS AGO THIS GUY

WAS A RAPING MACHINE.

THAT IS A TERRIBLE DEFENSE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: GOT SOMETHING WORSE?

>> AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME

ANY ECONOMISTS WHO HAVE BEEN

CONVICTED OF VIOLENT SEX

CRIMES?

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: ANYONE, ANYONE?

ANYONE?

BUMER-- BUHLER?

BUHLER?

SO NOT BEING ABLE TO

IDENTIFY ANY ECONOMISTS WHO

HAVE SEXUALLY ASSAULTED

PEOPLE IS EVIDENCE OF

STRAUSS-KAHN'S EVIDENCE.

OF COURSE THAT WOULD MEAN ON

THE FLIP SIDE A LAUNDRY LIST

OF ECONOMISTS WHO COMMITTED

SECT ALL CRIMES WOULD BE

IPSO FACTO EVIDENCE OF HIS

GILL.

IF IT PLEASES THE COURT,

RICHARD NYWANGA ECONOMICS

PROFESSOR IN STRAUSSBERG

UNIVERSITY CONVICTED OF

SECTION ASSAULT, ROBERT

VANDER HOE, ECONOMICS

PROFESSOR AT ROCKFORD

COLLEGE PLED GUILTY OF

SEXUAL ABUSE LAST DECEMBER

AND ROBERT MABUSH, A FRENCH

ECONOMIST WHO WORKED AT THE

WORLD BANK CONVICTED IN 1997

OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING, WAIT

FOR IT, A HOUSEKEEPER.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: WELL A CORDING TO MY

DATA, ECONOMISTS ARE THE

RAPIEST PROFESSION GOING.

IT TURNS DOURBT --

(APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: THE INVISIBLE HAND

OF THE MARKET IS VERY

[BLEEP] TOUCHY-FEELY.

SO I REALLY HOPE-- IT IS A

REDISTRIBUTION OF RAPE.

I HOPE YOU HAVE SOMETHING

BEYOND COME ON, ECONOMISTS

DON'T DO THAT.

BESIDES, YOU'VE BARELY EVEN

DEGRADED THE VICTIM YET.

>> HE GOES ON TO WRITE I'VE

HAD HOTEL MADES THAT WERE

COMPLETE LUNATICS.

>> Jon: AND THERE YOU GO.

A LITTLE BIT OF ADVICE.

THE NEXT TIME YOU STAY IN A

HOTEL, I URGE YOU, SIR, IF

YOU GET TURN DOWN SERVICE,

DO NOT EAT THAT CHOCOLATE

THEY LEAVE FOR YOU ON THE

>> Jon: MY GUEST TONIGHT,

SHE IS THE ADMINISTRATOR OF

THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

AGENCY, WELCOME BACK TO THE

PROGRAM LISA P JACKSON.

WELCOME TO YOU AGAIN.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> I'M WELL, THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

>> Jon: VERY NICE TO SEE

YOU.

I GOT YOU SOME WATER.

I WANT YOU TO RELAX.

THE EPA, YOU GUYS ARE IN A

REAL DOGFIGHT NOW THAT THE

NEW CONGRESS HAS TAKEN OVER.

FOR SOME REASON THEY FEEL

THAT THE EPA IS THE EXAMPLE

THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SET

FOR GOVERNMENT OVERREACH, IF

YOU WILL.

>> YUP, I CERTAINLY HEARD

THAT.

WE HEAR THINGS LIKE DEFUND

THE EPA, THE SCARIEST AGENCY

IN GOVERNMENT.

WE WONDER WHERE SOME OF THAT

IS COMING FROM.

BUT IT'S DEFINITELY AN

INSIDE THE BELTWAY MIND OF

REASONING.

>> Jon: I CAN TELL ARE YOU

WHERE IT IS COMING FROM,

ACTUALLY.

I ACTUALLY SEE THEM ON C PAC,

IT IS CALLED THE REPUBLICAN

PARTY.

WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE, YOU

KNOW, GOVERNMENT REGULATION

IS, I DON'T THINK ANYBODY

WOULD ARGUE THAT IT ISN'T AT

TIMES BUREAUCRATIC,

BURDENSOME, THOSE KINDS OF

THINGS.

BUT THE EPA HAS, FOR A

GOVERNMENT AGENCY, A

RELATIVELY GOOD TRACK RECORD,

CLEAN AIR ACT, CLEAN WATER

ACT.

THOSE SEEM TO BE

UNASSAILABLE SUCCESSES.

ARE THERE PEOPLE THAT ARGUE

THAT THOSE AREN'T GOOD

PROGRAMS?

>> I THINK THERE ARE.

I THINK THAT HAPPENS FROM

TIME TO TIME.

WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT EPA,

FOUNDED IN 1970 UNDER A

REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT.

ACTS THAT CAME ALONG WITH T

THE CLEAN AIR ACT YOU

MENTIONED, THE CLEAN WATER

ACT, SAFE DRINKING WATER ACT,

SUPERFUND, ALL ALMOST

ENTIRELY BIPARTISAN ACTS,

OFTENTIMES UNANIMOUS.

EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE AND I

THINK IT'S BECAUSE WE ARE

DOING OUR JOB UNDER THIS

PRESIDENT, WE HAVE TO REMIND

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT

ENVIRONMENTALISM ISN'T A

SPECTATOR SPORT.

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO STAND

UP AND DEMAND THAT WE BE

VIGILANT IN PROTECTING OUR

AIR AND WATER.

>> Jon: THE ARGUMENT ALWAYS

SEEMS TO BE--

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: THAT PEOPLE ENJOY

AIR AND WATER.

THE ARGUMENT SEEMS TO BE

THAT THE EPA CANNOT DO THAT

WITHOUT KILLING BUSINESS OR

KILLING JOBS.

THAT TO KEEP, LET'S SAY

DIOXIN FROM KILLING US, WE

MUST KILL THE FACTORY.

IS THERE A HAPPY MEDIUM?

CAN WE NOT DIE BUT ALSO THEY

LIVE?

>> WE CAN--

(LAUGHTER)

>> WE CAN HAVE A STRONG

ECONOMY AND A STRONG AND

HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT.

WE CAN HAVE CLEAN AIR AND

CLEAN WATER.

AND IN FACT, AS EVIDENCE OF

THAT.

THERE IS EVIDENCE IN THE

LAST 40 YEARS THAT THE AIR

IS 60% CLEANER WHILE OUR GDP

WAS UP 207% OVER THAT

PERIOD.

>> Jon: IS THIS SCIENTIFIC

EVIDENCE BECAUSE I

DON'T-- I-- I FIND THAT

THOSE TYPES OF FACTS ARE

VERY UNPERSUASIVE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> WHAT WOULD PERSUADE YOU.

>> Jon: A FEELING.

(LAUGHTER)

A FEELING THAT IT WASN'T

RIGHT OR WORKING.

>> WELL-- .

>> Jon: TO THE POINT, SO

YOU'RE TRYING TO REGULATE

MERCURY.

AND THEY SAY THIS COULD

PREVENT THOUSANDS OF DEATHS.

>> UH-HUH.

>> Jon: AND WHAT IS THE

ARGUMENT AGAINST THAT?

>> WELL, I'VE HEARD

ARGUMENTS THAT WE'RE GOING

TO KILL JOBS.

AND WHEN WE TALK ABOUT

MERCURY, WHEN WE TALK ABOUT

THE MERCURY IN AIR, TOXIC

STANDARDS THAT WE ANNOUNCED

TWO MONTHS AGO.

FIRST OFF, 21 YEARS IN THE

MAKING.

THESE ARE STANDARDS THAT

WERE CALLED FOR IN 1990.

>> Jon: RIGHT.

>> THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

DID SOME, THEY WERE THROWN

OUT BY THE COURT BECAUSE

THEY WERE TRADING MERCURY

AND NO ONE WANTED TO BE ON

THE LOSING END OF THAT TRADE,

RIGHT.

MERCURY IS A NEUROTOXIN, IT

DESTROYS OUR CHILDREN'S

BRAINS, OFTENTIMES BEFORE

THEY'RE BORN.

THESE STANDARDS ARE

ESTIMATED TO PREVENT 17,000

PREMATURE DEATHS EACH YEAR,

PREVENT 11,000 HEART ATTACKS

EACH YEAR, AND HALF OF THE

POWER PLANTS IN OUR COUNTRY

ALREADY HAVE CONTROLS FOR

MERCURY AND ARSENIC AND THE

DIOXINS IN PARTICULAR MATTER

THAT YOU GET TO CONTROL

ALONG WITH IT.

THE ONLY THING WE HEAR IS IT

CAN'T BE DONE.

AND EVERYTHING WE KNOW AND

EVERY MODEL THAT WE RUN

SHOWS THAT IT ABSOLUTELY CAN

BE DONE.

AND THAT IT WOULD ACTUALLY

CREATE JOBS.

SOMEONE HAS TO BUILD ALL

THOSE SCRUBBERS AND FILTERS

THAT DEAL WITH MERCURY.

>> Jon: SO YOU GOT THAT ONE

THROUGH.

BUT THERE'S ANOTHER ONE,

MERCURY AND DIOXIN THAT YOU

HAD TO PULL, WHAT IS THAT

ONE?

>> SO THE MERCURY FOR THE

UTILITY AND POWER PLANTS HAS

BEEN PROPOSED.

IT'S NOT THROUGH YET BUT WE

INTEND TO FINALIZE IT.

WE ALSO PROPOSED A MERCURY

AND AIR TOXIC STANDARD FOR

BOILERS.

THESE ARE EVERYTHING FROM

SCHOOLS TO FACTORIES USE

COAL AND BURN IT TO MAKE

POWER.

THOSE STANDARDS ARE A LITTLE

MORE COMPLICATED BECAUSE ARE

YOU COVERING A SECRETARY

THEIR IS MUCH LARGER, IT IS

NOT JUST POWER PLANTS, IT'S

EVERYTHING.

SO WE JUST RECENTLY WERE

REQUESTED, WE PETITIONED TO

RECONSIDER THE RULE.

WE AGREED TO DO THAT AND TO

STAY IT FOR A VERY LIMITED

PERIOD OF TIME.

WE'LL BE ANNOUNCING A

SCHEDULE SOON BUT WE ARE

COMMITTED TO THE RULE.

I KNOW PEOPLE ARE WORRIED.

WE WILL FINALIZE THAT RULE

BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT.

>> Jon: WHAT IS THE

POLITICAL PRESSURE LIKE IN

WASHINGTON TO NOT HAVE THESE

RULES.

BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE THIS

IS, THERE IS AN EPIC BATTLE

OCCURRING BENEATH THE

SURFACE, ONE OF A TREMENDOUS

AMOUNT OF CORPORATE MONEY,

PREVENTING THESE TYPES OF

RULES FROM GOING INTO

EFFECT.

WHAT THE IS THE TYPE OF

PRESSURE THAT YOU FACE.

LOBBYISTS, PHONE CALLSES, AT

NIGHT YOU GET, LET'S SAY, A

TUNA HEAD IN YOUR BED

BECAUSE --

>> FULL OF MERCURY.

>> Jon: THAT'S WHAT I'M

TALKING ABOUT.

WHAT IS THE ISSUES THAT YOU

FACE.

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, FIRST I

WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE A

PARKING PLACE ON CAPITOL

HILL.

AND I HAVE TESTIFIED MORE

TIMES IN THIS CONGRESS THAN

ANY OTHER CABINET MEMBER.

INCLUDING PEOPLE LIKE

KATHLEEN SEBELIUS WHO IS IN

CHARGE OF HEALTH CARE FOR

THIS COUNTRY OR JANET

NAPOLITANO WHO DOES HOMELAND

SECURITY.

SO THERE IS A LOT

OF-- AROUND IT.

SOME OF THESE HEARINGS HAVE

PRETTY INTIMIDATING NAMES.

I DON'T MIND GOING UP THERE

BECAUSE I THINK IT'S

IMPORTANT TO EXPLAIN TO THE

AMERICAN PEOPLE, THIS

SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING UNDER

THE SURFACE.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT YOUR

CONGRESS PUT MORE RIDERS ON

THE EPA THAN ANY OTHER

AGENCY.

>> Jon: HOW DO YOU NOT-- THE

ABILITY OF, YOU KNOW, WE'RE

WE'RE-- YOU CAN STAY FOR TWO

MINUTES.

>> YES, I CAN.

>> Jon: WE'RE GOING TO THROW

TO COMMERCIAL AND WE'LL KEEP

YOU FOR FIVE MINUTES BECAUSE

I KNOW OBVIOUSLY I SAW ON

THE BACK YOU HAVE A HUGE TUB

OF MERCURY THAT YOU HAVE

BEEN DISTRIBUTING.

LISA P

>> THAT IS OUR SHOW.

HERE IT IS, YOUR MOMENT OF

ZEN.

>> THE U.S. AND PAKISTAN HAS

A VERY BAD MARRIAGE BUT IT'S

ONE WE HAVE TO STAY IF

BECAUSE OF THE CHILDREN.

>> IT'S MUCH LIKE YOU DON'T

WANT, YOU KNOW, YOUR LITTLE

KIDS TO HAVE A TANTRUM SO

YOU KEEP GIVING HER A

LOLLIPOP.

>> THIS IS LIKE A SHOE

Loading...