April 19, 2012 - Judy Smith

  • Episode: 17091
  • (0)

Conservative pundits pivot on Mitt Romney, North Korea is out of the axis of evil, and "Good Self, Bad Self" author Judy Smith discusses high-profile crisis management.

>> Jon: HEY, WHAT'S UP,

WELCOME TO THE DAILY SHOW,

BOOM, MY GUEST TONIGHT,

WASHINGTON CRISIS MANAGER JUDEY SMITH WILL BE THE GUEST.

BEFORE WE GET GOING I WANT TO ANSWER A QUICK QUESTION THAT A LOT OF VIEWERS ARE

WRITING IN, THE JEWISH MAYOR OF DUBLIN CITY IS ROBERT BRISCO.

HIS NAME IS ROBERT BRISCO.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) I GOT A GUY IN THE AUDIENCE,

LITERALLY FLIES HERE FROM DUBLIN JUST TO LET ME NOCHL YOU KNOW WITH HAVE A JEW MAYOR IF DUBLIN.

ALL RIGHT, SIR.

SO IF YOU COULD TALK TO HIM FOR ME I'D APPRECIATE IT.

(LAUGHTER)

>> I'M GOING THERE.

I'M VISITING THERE.

AS YOU KNOW, THE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION IS ALL BUT SOWN UP BY NOW

PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE WILLARD SCOTT HITTINGTON ROMNISAURU IS, S SO NOW IT IS TIME FOR

THE GOP TO RALLY BEHIND ITS CANDIDATE AM I TAKE TO YOU FOOTAGE WITH CONVERSATIONS

WITH GOP CONGRESSMAN PANEL SHOT APPARENTLY USING INSTA GRAM'S NEW VIDEO FILTER,

'70s FBI UNDERCOVER STING,

WHICH MYSPACE APPARENTLY JUST BOUGHT FOR 2K800 MILLION.

ANYHOW, HERE IS THEIR RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION ARE YOU EXCITED ABOUT MITT ROMNEY.

>> I'M ACTUALLY EXCITED.

I HAVE TO THE ENDORSED ANY CANDIDATE.

I'M EXCITED THAT THE PROCESS IS OVER.

>> THE EXCITEMENT WILL COME FROM GETTING BARACK OBAMA OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE.

>> IF YOU ARE'S NOT SURE ABOUT WANTING TO SUPPORT MITT ROMNEY, WHETHER YOU ARE

LIBERAL, WHETHER YOU'RE VERY CONSERVATIVE, YOU OUGHT TO BE EXCITED.

BECAUSE HE'S BEEN ON YOUR SIDE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: THAT, GOOD ONE,

REPRESENTATIVE BLUR FACE SMUDGEENSTEIN.

SO THEY'RE COMING ALONG SLOWLY TO ROMNEY.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HATE CELL PHOENIX I JUST WANT TO POINT THIS OCCUPANT YOU CANNOT IN

THIS WORLD ANY MORE [BLEEP]

TALK ABOUT ANYBODY.

SOMEBODY'S CATCHING IT ON THEIR FOCHBLT IT'S LIKE WE'RE ALL PARANOID MOBSTERS,

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ROMNEY, WHOA, WHOA, WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY, LET'S TAKE A WALK

TO THE CANDY STOFERMENT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT ROMNEY, PUT A NEWSPAPER UP IN FRONT OF

(LAUGHTER) OF COURSE, THESE ARE CONGRESS PEOPLE, NOT THEIR JOB TO GET MITT ROMNEY ELECTED.

THEIR JOB TO STOP THE CURRENT PRESIDENT FROM GETTING ANYTHING DONE.

ROMNEY'S ELECTION IS FOX'S JOB.

IT'S TO THE GOING TO BE A SLAM-DUNK EITHER BECAUSE DURING THE PRIMARY ROMNEY'S

NOMINATION WAS NOT UNANIMOUS.

>> I AM NOT CONVINCED AND I DON'T THINK THAT THE MAJORITY OF GOP AND

INDEPENDENT VOTERS ARE CONVINCED, AND THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T SEE ROMNEY GET OVER THAT HUMP.

>> HE'S A NORTHEASTERN REPUBLICAN.

HE IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE, SO I MEAN I'M NOT A BIG FAN.

MY FIRST CHOICE WAS MITCH DANIELS AND IT WASN'T A SECRET.

>> Jon: THAT'S NOT SOED BACHLT HIS FIRST CHOICE WAS MITCH DANIEL, ROMNEY

PROBABLY SECOND CHOICE.

>> MY SECOND WAS PAUL RYAN.

I TRIED TO WRESTLE UP A POSE TO FORCE HIM NOT RACE.

>> Jon: -- THERE'S NO SHAME IN THIRD PLACE.

>> MY THIRD RASS CHRISTIE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: MY FOURTH WAS THE GHOST OF DWIGHT EISENHOWER.

MY FIFTH WAS THE CHARACTER OF RON SWANSON ON NBC'S PARKS & RECREATION.

MY SIXTH WAS PARLIAMENT FUNK DELIC GEORGE CLINTON.

I REALLY DON'T LIKE MITT ROMNEY.

SO HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THIS PIVOT.

SARAH PALIN WAS NOT CONVINCED THAT MITT ROMNEY IS CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH.

SHE TOLD PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR NEWT GINGRICH, FOR GOD'S SAKES.

IS SHE CONVINCED NOW, IT'S ONLY BEEN TWO MONTHS.

>> I'M CONVINCED.

>> Jon: OKAY, I GUESS SHE IS CONVINCED NOW.

THAT IS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT PALIN, OPEN MINDED.

SO WHAT CONVINCED HER?

>> I AM CONVINCED THAT GOVERNOR ROMNEY, WILL KNOW TO SURROUND HIMSELF WITH

THOSE WHO INHERENTLY KNOW TO GO RIGHT TO ERR ON THE SIDE OF SMALLER, SMARTER GOVERNMENT.

AND THAT GIVES ME A LOT OF COMFORT.

>> Jon: BASICALLY SHE'S SAYING DON'T TRUST ROMNEY.

BUT I TRUST EVERYONE HE'LL HIRE.

YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I-- IT'S LIKE HOW VEGANS SELL YOU ON T, FU, I KNOW IT TASTES LIKE

[BLEEP], JUST PUT ENOUGH RICE AND SOY SAUCE YOU BARELY EVEN KNOW YOU ARE EATING CURDLED SOYBEAN, IT

WILL BE FINE.

(LAUGHTER) IT'S A LITTLE AWKWARD.

KARAUTHAMMER HAS A LONGER VOICE TO TRAVEL.

>> YOU'RE NOT A BIG FAN THOUGH OF MITT ROMNEY.

I JUST, I JUST SUSPECT THAT YOU DON'T SEE HIM AS A KIND OF GUY WOULD YOU WANT TO SEE

IN THE WHITE HOUSE M I WRONG?

>> YOU'RE WRONG.

I ACTUALLY LIKE ROMNEY.

I THINK HE'S A VERY GOOD MAN.

AND I THINK HE WOULD MAKE A VERY GOOD PRESIDENT.

>> Jon: BUT YOU-- HE WASN'T EVEN YOUR TOP, LIKE 20 BEFORE.

(LAUGHTER) I LIKE HIM, HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS MY 7th CHOICE WHICH WAS A PLATE OF COLD CUTS IN THE

SHAPE OF A FACE.

PERHAPS THE MOST ACROBATIC PIVOT TOWARDS ROMNEY WAS ACCOMPLISHED COUNTERINTUITIVELY BY

POLITICAL PUNDIT AND A MAN WHOSE VOICE CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS POSTMENOPAUSAL,

DICK MORRIS.

>> MY VIEW IS THAT FIRST I DO NOT LIKE ROMNEY THERE IS NO WAY THIS GUY IS GOING TO

GET NO NATURED WITH HIM HAVING PASSED THE EQUIVALENT OF BAMACARE.

>> BIG PARTY IS NEVER GOING TO NOMINATE SOMEBODY WHO IS SOFT ON THIS ISSUE.

>> ALL RIGHT.

>> I'M TELLING YOU, ROMNEY ROMNEY-- ROMNEY IS TOAST.

I WOULD STAKE MY REPUTATION.

FOR HONESTY AND POLITICAL INSIGHT.

NOW IF WILL YOU EXCUSE ME,

ROSE, BLANCH, SOFIA AND I HAVE AN AMARETTO CHEESECAKE WE HAVE TO GET TO.

(APPLAUSE) ALL RIGHT.

THAT WAS A PRETTY HARD-CORE SLAM ON ROMNEY.

THIS PIVOT NOW THAT HE'S GOING TO BE THE NOMINEE SHOULD BE INTERESTING.

>> IN TERMS OF THE FACTOR OF WILL CONSERVATIVES RALLY TO ROMNEY, I THINK THEY UNDOUBTEDLY AND

UNQUESTIONABLY WILL IN MASSIVE NUMBERS WITH TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: ARE YOU [BLEEP]

KIDDING ME?

CONSERVATIVES WILL NEVER GO FOR THIS GUY TO HE'S THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED REAGAN.

THAT IS A SERIOUS PIVOT.

I WILL GIVE DICK MORRIS THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

PERHAPS HE SPENT SOME TIME WITH MR. ROMNEY, HAS LEARNED ABOUT HIS POSITION,S HAD AN

EPIPHANY, A CONVERSION, IF YOU WILL, BASED ON PRINCIPLES.

AND I WILL CONTINUE TO BELIEVE THAT UNTIL OR UNLESS I'M PRESENTED WITH EVIDENCE

THAT THIS WAS, IN FACT, A CYNICAL OPPORTUNISTIC AND UTTERLY WITHOUT FOUNDATION

CONVERSION BASED SOLELY ON SLIGHTLY EASING DICK MORRIS'S ALREADY DISINGENUOUS PARTISAN

SALESMANSHIP JOB.

>> I DECIDED A COUPLE OF MONTHS OR TWO AGO TO STOP DUMPING ON MITT ROMNEY.

NOT BECAUSE I APPROVE OF ROMNEYCARE, TO THE BECAUSE I APPROVE OF HIS FLOP FLIP ON

ABORTION, BUT BECAUSE I MAY HAVE TO BE ONE OF THOSE WHO CARRIES THIS GUY FOR A

COUPLE OF MONTHS WHEN HE'S RUNNING AGAINST OBAMA AND I DON'T WANT TO MAKE MY OWN AS

IFINGED-- TASK HARDER.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: MY POINT IS THIS.

I MAY BE UNPRINCIPAL-- PRINCIPLESED,

BUT I AM ALSO VERY LAZY.

(LAUGHTER)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

SO YOU REMEMBER TEN YEARS AGO, WE HAD REALLY ONLY THREE COUNTRIES TO WORRY B

IRAN, NORTH CORE CA AND IRAQ.

THE ACCESS OF EVIL TS WITH A PHRASE THAT TESTED BETTER ON FOCUS GROUPS THAN HAT TRICK

OF MEANY SO WE KNOCKED OFF IRAQ.

HOW IS THE REST OF THE AXIS HOLDING UP.

LET'S START WITH NORTH KOREA.

THE BRUTAL DICTATORSHIP KNOWN FOR ITS RUTHLESS PRECISION, UTTER INTOLERANCE FOR FAILURE, AND UNIQUE

ABILITY TO STRETCH MEATLESS MONDAY OUT FOR 60 YEARS.

(LAUGHTER) THEY'VE BEEN MAKING SO MANY BELLIGERENT NOISE O BAMA HIMSELF VISITED THE FAMED

DEMILITARIZED ZONE LAST MONTH DISGUISED AS A BIRD-WATCHER JUST TO KEEP AN EYE ON THEM.

CONDITION YOU GIVE HIM MORE MACHO GLASS.

WHAT HE IS WATCHING?

>> WHAT YOU HAVE GOT THERE.

NO, NO, WRONG COUNTRY,

MR. PRESIDENT,

THAT'S-- THAT'S, YOU'VE GOT TO LOOK NORTH, LOOK NORTH.

THAT'S-- WHAT-- NO, THAT'S A WOMAN FROM THE '50s.

SHE'S GETTING ATTACKED, I CAN'T-- MR. PRESIDENT, LOOK THE OTHER WAY.

LOOK THE-- YES, THAT -- WHAT?

(LAUGHTER) (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Jon: JUST CLEANING THE OFFICE.

(LAUGHTER) MODESTLY DRESSED.

SO WHILE THE PRESIDENT WAS WATCHING ME, NORTH KOREA TOOK THE OPPORTUNITY TO

LAUNCH A LONG-RANGE MISSILE TEST.

SOUNDS PRETTY SCARY.

HOW DID IT GO.

>> THE LAUNCH FAILED OVER THE OCEAN.

A HUGE EMBARRASSMENT FOR NORTH KOREA IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD.

>> THERE WAS AN UNPIT GATED DISASTER.

>> A WEAPON OF MASS DYSFUNCTION.

>> I WOULDN'T WANT TO BE THE HEAD OF NORTH KOREA'S SPACE AGENCY RIGHT NOW.

>> YOU CAN'T UNDER STATE WHAT AN EMBARRASS AM THIS IS.

>> THE NORTH KOREAN ROCKET THAT EVERYONE WAS WORRIED ABOUT, WELL, FOR NOW AT

LEAST YOU CAN STOP WORRYING IT IS NO SPUTNIK T IS MORE LIKE KAPUT ANYTHING, A DUD.

>> Jon: SPUTNIK CAPUT NICK.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE YOU DR. JACK SPADOSKY, IF IT CARRIED A MIXED BREED DOG

INTO SPACE, IT WOULD BE MULTINIK.

(LAUGHTER) IF THE ROCKET ENLISTED IN THE ARMY, IT WOULD BE CREW CREWCUTNIK.

(LAUGHTER) IF THE MISSILE HAD TO SLINK HOME AT 8 A.M. IN THE SAME CLOTHES IT WORE THE NIGHT

BEFORE, IT WOULD BE SLUTNIK.

I COULD DO THIS ALL NIGHT.

(APPLAUSE) I HAVE 8,000 OF THESE.

(LAUGHTER) (LAUGHTER) YOU MAY LEAVE WHEN I GET TO JABBATHEHUTNIK.

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE A ROCKET.

NORTH KOREA DOES THAT ALL THE TIME.

BUT TO DO IT ON THE DAY THAT THEY LOST IT OF ALL DAYS.

>> THIS WAS MEANT TO BE THE PINNACLE OF THE MASSIVE CELEBRATION PLANNED FOR THE

CENTENARY OF THE BIRTH OF THE FOUNDING FATHER OF THE COUNTRY, KIM IL-SUNG.

>> Jon: NICE JOB THERE, NEW GUY, NEW KIM.

NOT ONLY DID YOU BLOW YOUR COUNTRY'S ENTIRE ANNUAL FOOD BUDGET ON A [BLEEP] ROCKET,

YOU RUINED YOUR GRANDFATHER'S BIRTH DATE.

THE ONLY WAY KIM JUNGUN COULD HAVE MADE ANY WORSE OF THIS DAY IS IF HE JUST

SHOWED UP FOR THE CEREMONY WITH A NOSE PIERCING AND A SOUTH KOREAN BOYFRIEND.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDPA.

CAN I GO NOW.

LONG-SU AND I HAVE TICKETS TO JERSEY BOYS.

(LAUGHTER) THAT'S IT, NORTH KOREA.

YOU -- ARE OUT OF-- I JUST PULLED A FINGER LIGAMENT.

ARE YOU OUT OF THE AXIS OF EVIL, NORTH KOREA.

WHICH MEANS THERE IS A SLOT OPEN.

PERHAPS WE COULD PUT AFGHANISTAN IN THERE.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE ANYWAY.

>> IN AFGHANISTAN A MIDLEVEL TALIBAN COMMANDER REPORTEDLY TURNED HIMSELF IN TO AFGHAN POLICE.

>> Jon: THAT'S GOOD NEWS.

WHAT CAUSED THE COMMANDER TO TURN HIMSELF IN, WAS IT PRESSURE FROM THE AFGHAN

ARMY, A SENSE THAT THE INSURGENCY WAS WANING WA,

WAS IT.

>> THE MIDLEVEL TALIBAN COMMANDER REPORTEDLY TURNED HIMSELF INTO AFGHAN POLICE,

THEN DEMANDED THEY PAY HIM THE $100 REWARD FOR HIS CAPTURE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: YOU MEAN TO TELL ME WE SPENT 10 YEARS AND $550 TRYING TO ROUTE THE TALIBAN

AND ALL WE FEED WAD 12 HOURS WORTH OF POST-IT BOARD AN A SHARPIE?

SON OF A BITCH!

NOW OF COURSE THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT-- IS NOT THE QUICKEST DETONATER IN

THE BOX, THAT ERODE THE SHORT GOAT TO THE MED RASSA F YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

>> THE UCHLTS IS OFFICIAL TALLS THE SUSPECTED IN SURGE ENT, THE TALIBAN EQUIVALENT

OF THE BURGLARS IN HOME ALONE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Jon: BECAUSE HE'S AN IDIOT?

OR BECAUSE WE LOVED HIM IN THE '90s?

YES, SEE, HANG ON.

IF HE IS THE BURGLAR, WHAT DOES THAT MAKE US?

>> AAAAHHHHHH!

>> Jon: WELCOME BACK.

MY GUEST TONIGHT, SHE IS A CRISIS MANAGEMENT ADVISOR WHO HAS WORKED WITH SOME

HIGH PROFILE PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT AT LIBERTY TO DISCUSS HER NEW BOOK IS CALLED GOOD SELF, BAD SELF

TRANSFORMING YOUR WORST QUALITIES INTO YOUR BIGGEST ASSETS.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

PLEASE WELCOME JUDY SMITH.

( APPLAUSE ) THE BOOK IS GOOD SELF, BAD SELF.

YOU ARE BASICALLY, YOU ARE A CRISIS MANAGER.

YOU ARE HARVEY KEITEL IN "PULP FICTION".

ARE YOU THE FIXER.

THEY CALL YOU WHEN THE ROOM IS COVERED IN BLOOD AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

YOU ARE THE FIXER.

>> I AM THE FIXER.

I'M THE FIXER, AND LOVE IT BEEN DOING IT FOR 20 YEARS.

AND WHAT WE DO, REALLY, IS WE HELP CORPORATIONS,

CELEBRITIES, POLITICIANS.

>> Jon: THE PEOPLE THAT NEED IT MOST.

>> THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT.

WE HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO HELP YOU YET.

>> Jon: YOU WILL.

>> SO IT'S GREAT, YOU KNOW,

WE HELP REALLY NAVIGATE THEM AT WORST POINT IN THEIR LIFE,

THROUGH CRISIS.

>> Jon: SO LET'S SAY, WE'LL TAKE FOR EXAMPLE THIS SECRET SERVICE.

>> YES.

>> Jon: SITUATION.

ALL RIGHT, SO SECRET SERVICE BUSTED IN COLOMBIA.

PROSTITUTES IN A ROOM.

THEY CALL YOU.

WHAT IS YOUR FIRST PIECE OF ADVICE.

>> THAT IS REALLY BAD.

>> Jon: YOU WOULD SCOLD THEM.

>> MY FIRST PIECE OF ADVICE TO ANYBODY IS SU HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH AND FACE IN TO

WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.

THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE SECRET SERVICE JUZ YOUR FIRST PIECE OF ADVICE IS

TELL THE TRUTH SO TAVER THEY HANG UP.

>> I KNOW THAT SAY-- .

>> Jon: IS THAT REALLY TRUE.

>> YEAH.

>> Jon: IS THAT TYPICAL BEHAVIOUR FOR A CRISIS MANAGEMENT, IS A HAND, JUST

TELL THE TRUTH, BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE FROM OUR EXPERIENCE IN THESE SITUATIONS, THE TRUTH IS THE

THING THEY'RE TRYING TO BURY IN A HOLE UNDERNEATH, YOU KNOW, A ROOT CELL AR.

>> RIGHT, WELL LOOK, MY BRAND OF CRIES SIS PROBABLY DIFFERENT FROM MOST.

I AM OLD SCHOOL.

AND I THINK THAT YOU HAVE GOT TO TELL THE TRUTH.

BECAUSE LOOK, EVERYBODY IS-- YOUR PARENTS SAY IT GOING TO COME OUT ANYWAY SO

WHAT IS THE POINT IN HIDING IT.

THE OTHER THING I THINK IS REALLY KEY IS THAT LOOK,

WHEN PEOPLE SCREW UP, WE ALL DO AND I THINK THAT WHEN WE APOLOGISE AND WE ARE SINCERE

ABOUT IT, THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE BUT YOU REALLY CAN'T

BS ABOUT IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT IT.

SO IT'S SIMPLE.

>> Jon: HAS ANYONE EVER TAKEN THAT ADVICE?

( LAUGHTER ) BECAUSE I'M THINKING NOW TO

ALL THE SCANDALS AND I AM WONDERING, SO YOUR ADVICE IS TELL THE TRUTH AND THEN

APOLOGIZE IN A SINCERE FASHION AND I'M LIKE, YEAH,

I DON'T REMEMBER THAT HAPPENING.

I-- SO YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH ANYONE.

>> NO, LOOK, THERE IS A LOT OF STEPS IN BETWEEN THAT, IN TELLING THE TRUTH AND APOLOGY.

YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT THE FACTS AND SOMETIMES YOU AS YOU MIGHT IMAGINE AS SU HAVE

ALL SEEN THE FACTS GET CLOUDED SOMETIMES.

IT'S NOT FACTS OF HOW WE WANT THEM TO BE BUT HOW THEY TRULY ARE.

AND HOW THEY REALLY ARE.

AND SOMETIMES IT TAKE ACE WHILE.

>> Jon: SO DOW WORK WITH THEM IN TERMS OF COMING TO AN ACCEPTANCE OF THE BAD

PLACE THAT THEY ARE IN.

SO THAT THEY CAN GIVE AN HONEST.

OR DO YOU WORK WITH THEM IN HERE'S HOW WE CAN, BECAUSE I ALWAYS IMAGINE CRISIS

MANAGER DOES THIS, HERE IS HOW WE CAN MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE YOU ARE FEELING BAD

ABOUT THIS, YOU KNOW, THAT IT'S MORE ABOUT FIXING THE IMAGE OF IT THAN THE SOUL OF IT.

>> WELL, YOU KNOW WHAT, I THINK YOU HAVE TO DO BOTH I MEAN YOU CAN'T COME OUT

AND APOLOGISE.

AND NOT MEAN IT BECAUSE THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IS SMART.

THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BUY IT YOU'VE SEEN SOME EXAMPLES.

>> Jon: I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T GET THAT LAST PART.

>> THEY'RE TO THE GOING TO BUY IT YOU SEE A LAT OF -- DASH LOT OF TIMES WHEN

PEOPLE COME OUT AND THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING AND PERHAPS THE WIFE IS STANDING

BESIDE THEM AND ARE YOU ALL SAYING OH, YEAH, OKAY, THEY REALLY FORGIVE THAT PERSON.

>> Jon: LET ME ASK YOU THIS,

HAVE WE CREATED A SITUATION WHERE PEOPLE ARE FORCED TO BE IN A CRISIS MANAGEMENT

SITUATION WHEN PERHAPS THEY SHOULDN'T?

HAVE WE FORCED THESE PUBLIC FIGURES INTO THESE OPEN CONFESSIONS ON TELEVISION

WHEN, IN FACT, IT IS NOT PARTICULARLY ALL RIGHT TO DEMAND IT OR ACCEPT IT?

>> YEAH, I THINK TWO THINGS.

I THINK LOOK AT THE PUBLIC FIGURE.

YOU HAVE A HIGHER LEVEL OF EXPECTATION.

AND I THINK THE PUBLIC DEMANDS THAT, YES.

BUT I ALSO THINK THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THERE IS A LINE THAT HAS TO BE DRAWN WHETHER

YOU ARE A PUBLIC FIGURE OR NOT YOU STILL HAVE SOME PRIVACY-- AND I THINK YOU SHOULD MAINTAIN THAT.

EVERYTHING IS NOT EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS.

>> WHEN YOU'RE IN A CRISIS SITUATION AND YOU'RE DEALING

WITH THE MEDIA STORM AND THE VORACIOUS PACK AND SOMEONE WHO MAYBE IS MORALS, WITHOUT

DOW HAVE A HARDER TIME EMPATHIZING WITH IN DO YOU EVER JUST THINK ABOUT IT

LIKE OH, LOOK, THE WOLFS ARE HERE.

AND SO SOMEBODY THAT I WOULD LIKE TO THROW TO THEM?

HOW DO YOU-- HOW DO YOU JUDGE THOSE TWO.

>> YEAH, LOOK, WITH THE MEDIA WHEN ARE YOU IN A CRISIS IT'S GOING TO BE THERE.

IT'S THE NATURE OF THE BEAST.

AND WHAT WE REALLY TRY TO DO AS WE'RE NAVIGATING THE CRISIS IS TO BALANCE THE

NEED OF THE CLIENT, ALSO YOU HAVE TO ADDRESS THE PUBLIC.

AND IN THAT WHOLE PROCESS YOU HAVE TO TRY TO PROTECT THE REPUTATION AND THE BRAND.

IT'S LIKE A CHESS GAME.

>> Jon: I JUST RECENTLY HEARD ABOUT BRIAN WILLIAMS OF NBC IS A NEWS ANCHOR,

PUNCHED A GIRL SCOUT IN A WHEELCHAIR.

(LAUGHTER) PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT.

>> RIGHT.

AND EVERYBODY-- .

>> Jon: BUT THAT IS COMING OUT.

I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE IT BECAUSE IT WAS PRETTY UNPROVOKED.

I THINK HE DID THIS.

WHERE'S MY [BLEEP] THIN MINTS AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN.

>> SO BRIAN NOW IS GOING TO CALL ME.

>> Jon: WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO BRIAN NOW BECAUSE HE HAS DONE THIS TERRIBLE THING AND

IT IS ON CELL PHONE FOOTAGE.

>> BRIAN, I WOULD SAY THAT IF YOU HAVE DONE THAT TERRIBLE THING, LOOK AT ME NOW, BRIAN,

IF YOU HAVE DONE THAT TERRIBLE THING, YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE THING.

THAT YOU SOMEHOW LOST YOUR MIND, PERHAPS BECAUSE THE RATINGS WEREN'T EXACTLY AS

THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

>> Jon: GO TO REHAB,

WILLIAMS.

>> YES.

>> Jon: GO TO REHAB!

GOOD SELF, BAD SELF ON THE BOOK SHELVES NOW.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Jon: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> Jon: THAT'S OUR SHOW,

JOIN US NEXT WEEK AT 11:00,

FOR THOSE OF YOU WATCHING A THE HOME, IF OVER THESE PAST FEW YEARS YOU HAVE SEEN OUR

FIELD PIECES WHERE THE COR COST GO OUT AND INTERVIEW PEOPLE,-- OUR CORRESPONDENTS

INTERVIEW PEOPLE WHO STILL WANT TO BE ON TELEVISION,

MANY OF THOSE, IF YOU HAVE SEEN THOSE, IN TEN YEARS HAVE EITHER BEEN FILMED OR

OVERSEEN BY A MAN NAMED JIM MARGOLES, JIM LIKE MANY INCREDIBLY TALENTED PEOPLE

THAT HAVE WORKED HERE, HAS BEEN GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY IN THE LOS ANGELES REGION TO

PRODUCE TELEVISION FOR OTHER PEOPLE WHO WILL PAY HIM MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE.

(LAUGHTER) SO HE HAS DECIDED TO MOVE ON TO THAT EXPERIENCE.

WE WISH HIM NOTHING BUT THE BEST.

WE WILL MISS HIM DEARLY, HE IS A GOOD MAN.

HERE IT IS, YOUR MOMENT OF JIM.

>> DID YOU GUYS ORDER A PIZZA?

>> NO.

WELL, AS LONG AS YOU'RE HERE.

I MIGHT AS WELL TASTE IT.

>> THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Loading...